Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Was Nani's Red Card Justified? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Was Nani's Red Card Justified? (30347 Views)

Diego Lopez Punch On Vidic's Face Worse Than Nani's Collussion With Arbeloa / Sir Alex Ferguson Blames Nani For MANU Defeat To Chelsea / Messi Red Card: Should Messi Have Gotten A Red Card In The Barca V Chelsea Game? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 2:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
econity: dangerous play has nothing to do with intentional or unintentional play.

You need to educate yourself about the rules guiding officiating of a football match. Go to this site http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf and educate yourself.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Deiok(m): 2:14pm On Mar 06, 2013
Nani really didn't deserve a red card. It should have be yellow at most. This is how EUFA kind off run their games we have seen alot of such stupìd refereeing decisions in past eufa competiton. Watch out how they are ganna try to eleminate ac milan from the competion against bacelona.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by stansmart(m): 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
"Determination must be made as to the proximity and danger to an opponent. If contact is made, and is deemed dangerous, then a red card may be brandished." - an extract of eufa rules. eufa/fifa need to re-write d rules and include the intent of the player into d rules because d rules were made irregardless of the intent of d player which is a flaw but by d book dats a red.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Robisi(m): 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Table Leg :

Are you a fu....cking retar..d?
You didnt watch the match yet you are telling us it was clear they were robbed?
Do you have a brain up there?!
i hv got some sense of reasonin to mk sth out of d outrage n senseles fan lk you
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by sojihandsome: 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
This is a clean Red card he has already seen Abeloa coming and Abeloa has a better chance of getting to the ball before Nani so why raise the leg again but i believe its because of the pretense so he deserve the Red card if possible self na INDIGO CARD HE SUPPOSE COLLECT GAN

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Koolking(m): 2:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
Man u can appeal the red card now that they are out of the league and have enough time to play about.

Why is it almost almost unacceptable when big teams lose crucial matches, but very acceptable when the same big teams rob seeming greenhorn teams to their advantage. All these Barca, Man U being robbed after loosing in decisive matches are rather too childish and unsportsmanlike. Accept defeat and move on. Whether robbed or not, all teams (especially big teams) benefit from bad officiating at one point or the other.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
stan smart: "Determination must be made as to the proximity and danger to an opponent. If contact is made, and is deemed dangerous, then a red card may be brandished." - an extract of eufa rules. eufa/fifa need to re-write d rules and include the intent of the player into d rules because d rules were made irregardless of the intent of d player which is a flaw but by d book dats a red.

The rules are there for them. The worst he would have gotten according to the rules is a yellow card and not straight red card. This is fifa rules guiding dangerous play:
[b]Page 26
Playing in a Dangerous Manner
Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while trying to play the ball,threatens injury to someone (including the player himself)
It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury. The action becomes an offence only when an
opponent is adversely affected. A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that, in the opinion of the referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent.
Page 27
Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is a physical contact, the action becomes a offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick. In case of physical contact, the referee should carefully consider the high probability that
misconduct has also been committed.
Page 28
Disciplinary sanctions:
if a player plays in a dangerous manner in a “normal” challenge, the referee should not take any disciplinary action if the action is made with obvious risk of injury the referee should caution the player if a player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity playing in a dangerous manner the referee should send off the player
Restart of play:
indirect free kick from the position where the offence occurred* if there is contact, a different offence has been committed, punishable by a direct free kick
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf[/b]
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Immortal1(m): 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2013/03/06/3802815/cakir-likely-to-miss-out-on-champions-league-final-says:
Cakir likely to miss out on champions league final, says Turkish former referee

Serdar Tatli believes his refereeing compatriot has all-but-blown his chances of presiding over the Wembley showpiece following his controversial call on Tuesday

A Turkish former referee has claimed that Cuneyt Cakir's hopes of refereeing in the Champions League final have been dashed in the wake of his decision to send off Nani in the second leg of the last-16 tie between Manchester United and Real Madrid.

The 36-year-old official has been accused by some in the media of making the wrong call after he chose to dismiss the Portuguese winger for what he saw as an excessive high boot on Blancos full-back Alvaro Arbeloa.

Speaking after Tuesday's match, Serdar Tatli - a former Uefa referee - expressed his regret that Cakir's actions at Old Trafford may well have cost his compatriot the opportunity of presiding over a European curtain-raiser this season.

"Nani is looking for the ball. By the time Alvaro Arbeloa arrives, the Portuguese [Nani] doesn't even see him," he told NTVSpor.

"The action is definitely not deliberate. As his intention was to only play the ball, it should have been a yellow at the most.

"I am proud as a Turk to see Cuneyt at this stage, but he lowered his chances of a European Cup final last night [on Tuesday]."

3 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by stansmart(m): 2:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
dat is not a normal challenge with your studs above waist level. the bone of contention is the intent of d player and the rules dont include the intent of the player meaning whether intentional or not once u make a dangerous play dat can cause injuries and dere is contact the ref can give a red card. Its unfair but the rules r d rules. Moreso the head of referees in england confirmed this. Moreso refs r given different rules by epl,eufa and fifa.A rule in eufa may b applied differently in the epl or different in the worldcup
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by mustspin: 2:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
Adufaye: any ball abov ur waist is foul,wit red card,if u use ur leg....weda u were d 1st 2 reach d ball,or last....more ova,u cn sev ban,if d tackle is dangerous.

N.B
ur leg cn nt pas ur waist....unlex u b witch
So by your theory, anybody that attempts an overhead kick in a crowded box should automatically get a red card, right? and any defender dare not attempt a volleyed clearance as this will raise his leg above the waistline.

I think arbeloa had no business throwing his body at that ball knowing quite well that Nani was not aware of his run
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Robisi(m): 2:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
Bash Me:

See Retar..d, i thot u jes claimed u didnt c d match....how come u kno' so much wrong? Ode
are there no oda means of gaining knowlegd? I hv my senses, i surf d net, olodo
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by lordyatz: 2:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
Sorry man u fans ...is not Webb
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by BashMe1(m): 2:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
Immortal!:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2013/03/06/3802815/cakir-likely-to-miss-out-on-champions-league-final-says:

Serdar Tatli believes his refereeing compatriot has all-but-blown his chances of presiding over the Wembley showpiece following his controversial call on Tuesday

A Turkish former referee has claimed that Cuneyt Cakir's hopes of refereeing in the Champions League final have been dashed in the wake of his decision to send off Nani in the second leg of the last-16 tie between Manchester United and Real Madrid.

The 36-year-old official has been accused by some in the media of making the wrong call after he chose to dismiss the Portuguese winger for what he saw as an excessive high boot on Blancos full-back Alvaro Arbeloa.

Speaking after Tuesday's match, Serdar Tatli - a former Uefa referee - expressed his regret that Cakir's actions at Old Trafford may well have cost his compatriot the opportunity of presiding over a European curtain-raiser this season.

"Nani is looking for the ball. By the time Alvaro Arbeloa arrives, the Portuguese [Nani] doesn't even see him," he told NTVSpor.

"The action is definitely not deliberate. As his intention was to only play the ball, it should have been a yellow at the most.

"I am proud as a Turk to see Cuneyt at this stage, but he lowered his chances of a European Cup final last night [on Tuesday]."

Make I come dey cry like Musu?
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Afam4eva(m): 2:34pm On Mar 06, 2013
Seeing the pics again, i'll say the red card is well deserved. Most people that are saying the red was not deserved are saying so because the referee hesitated before showing the red card. Another thing that may have prompted the red card was the fact that he probably thought Nani was trying to pretend like he was hurt also. In all, any kick that's similar to what we see in Jet li and Jackie Chan movies will definitely get you sent off.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
stan smart: dat is not a normal challenge with your studs above waist level. the bone of contention is the intent of d player and the rules dont include the intent of the player meaning whether intentional or not once u make a dangerous play dat can cause injuries and dere is contact the ref can give a red card. Its unfair but the rules r d rules. Moreso the head of referees in england confirmed this. Moreso refs r given different rules by epl,eufa and fifa.A rule in eufa may b applied differently in the epl or different in the worldcup

Can you mention to me anywhere in the world where one player was trying to head a ball and an opposing player was also trying to use his leg to control the ball and the player who raised his leg to control the ball was given a straight red card? This is even more than dangerous than Nani's. If there is intent their will be excessive force and that is what they call violent conduct in the rules. And mind u that was a normal challenge because Abeloa was on Nan's blind side. Does he not have a right to go for the ball? Will he be ball watching?
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
Immortal!:

From a neutral man. Very objective.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by BashMe1(m): 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
Afam4eva: Seeing the pics again, i'll say the red card is well deserved. Most people that are saying the red was not deserved are saying so because the referee hesitated before showing the red card. Another thing that may have prompted the red card was the fact that he probably thought Nani was trying to pretend like he was hurt also. In all, any kick that's similar to what we see in Jet li and Jackie Chan movies will definitely get you sent off.

God Bless U and ur ppl. afterall, the aggregate is 4:1 in favor of Madrid technically. grin
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by dopesidez: 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
licensed2k:

Were u really watchin d match, nani wasn't attemptin a tackle, he was goin to control the ball mid air......why wld I be arguin wt u anyway....u dnt matter
have you ever played football before if so you should know that they don't use much force to control a ball that you think there is no one contesting it with you.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by saved: 2:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
Any one that knows that boy in Man U contact should tell him to contest for Taekwando in next olympics competion. A classical Bruce lee kungfu style.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by BrutusOj(m): 2:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
Ownfag: NO! The referee sucks
The refree sucks like Howard Web n d oda Man U refrees ba? grin
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by stansmart(m): 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
@fabville, its an unfair decision and i feel d ref suld av used his sense but saying dat is a normal challenge den i tink u r taking it 2 far. d ref applied the rules and no onw can fault him for that. Its eufa/fifa i blame for not including "the intent of the player".When shawcross broke ramsey's leg was it intentional? once it is liable to cause injuries it is considered dangerous play and has notin 2 do with intent, the fact dat in other cases it wasnt considered dangerous play doesnt make it rite, d rules r d rules
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
dopesidez:
have you ever played football before if so you should know that they don't use much force to control a ball that you think there is no one contesting it with you.

The same question goes to you. A ball high in the air and moving a little bit away from you needs you to jump with it in order to bring it down totally dead. That is not force. I have seen Zinedine Zidane done that several times.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by 1025: 2:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
man u fans must learn to differentiate the rules in epl and the rules in every other league vs man u. it is only in epl u will see evans kick torres and torres got sent off for falling. nani kicked and fall, rolling on the floor for the ref to punish arbeloa. it is a shame. if black cards are available, that was what nani deserved for kicked a player and trying to deceive the ref.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2013
The topic should have been titled 'anti Man United fan celebrating Nani's controversial red card'.

With 11 vs 11 United should have gone through. A lot of people, including the referee were surprised about the good performance United put up. The only way was to frustrate them and prevent then from going all the way. Any one able to beat Madrid with the form they in now is capable of winning the cup. Kudos to EUFA, why didn't they get a referee from Germany or Italy?
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by BrightDeGea(m): 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
I don't blame those of you saying its a red, you are a Nigerian, lying and corruption is in ur blood, automatically thats ur thing

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
stan smart: @fabville, its an unfair decision and i feel d ref suld av used his sense but saying dat is a normal challenge den i tink u r taking it 2 far. d ref applied the rules and no onw can fault him for that. Its eufa/fifa i blame for not including "the intent of the player".When shawcross broke ramsey's leg was it intentional? once it is liable to cause injuries it is considered dangerous play and has notin 2 do with intent, the fact dat in other cases it wasnt considered dangerous play doesnt make it rite, d rules r d rules
That is what you fail to understand Ramsey's own was ball on the ground and it was a two-footed challenge. That was a violent conduct. These are two different situations. There is no way you can put intent in the laws because that is to be at the discretion of the refree. I asked you of a scenario that i metioned in my previous post which you have not answered about two player contest for a ball.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by TableLeg(m): 2:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
Robisi: i hv got some sense of reasonin to mk sth out of d outrage n senseles fan lk you
You are a buffoon!
A top grade buffoon ... Your internet connection should be disabled and your computer smashed into miserable pieces .....
You think you can just come up and talk nonsense on a public forum? You didnt watch the game so you dont have any right to comment on this thread!
Vagabond!
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Toppiano(m): 2:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Lecture time

Nani raised his stud (for the ball) so high innocently unintentionally but went for Arbeloa when he could have withdrawn his leg = Offense 1
He nearly spilled Arbeloa's heart out of his lungs (still unintentionally) but that is a dangerous play = offense 2
He was simulating, feigning and acting injury when he could have shown his innocence by helping Arbeloa stand back on his feet = Offense 3

Verdict: Offense 1 (yellow) & 2 (red) above act are both punishable while Offense 3 on its own is punishable with straight red card. (check FIFA Rule)

Whenever Utd lose, Ferguson never see it that they did not play well enough instead the ref must be punished, bad loser grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

BTW, Man Utd always escaped with this kind of things and they justified it every time.

Na God know many penalty den don receive with poor officiating and dem no dey show remorse,PDP buruku grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Well deserved!!!

He should also be banned for at least three games for trying to break the guy's ribs...

Modric is a star!!
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by IYANGBALI: 3:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
Bright De Gea: I don't blame those of you saying its a red, you are a Nigerian, lying and corruption is in ur blood, automatically thats ur thing
God bless you my brother
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by jude33084(m): 3:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:
no need crying over spilled milk....we are still the best

Glory seeker it is a simple question; NO/YES!

Na ManU be the Best for world ni cheesy
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by hotwax: 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2013
Is this A̶̲̥̅​ question? This is purely shaolin kunfu.
The guy has watched so many Jet li stunts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Crystal Palace Vs Manchester United - (0 - 1) - Live / Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (1 - 2) On 16th August 2015 / Liverpool Vs Sheffield United (2 - 0 ) On 2nd January 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.