Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,353 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Was Nani's Red Card Justified? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Was Nani's Red Card Justified? (30328 Views)

Diego Lopez Punch On Vidic's Face Worse Than Nani's Collussion With Arbeloa / Sir Alex Ferguson Blames Nani For MANU Defeat To Chelsea / Messi Red Card: Should Messi Have Gotten A Red Card In The Barca V Chelsea Game? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Fabville: 4:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
la furia: when toress got sent off, fergi said toress dived and should have stood up, man u fans defended the decision. kompany got a red card against man u in an FA cup match last season, he won the ball completely, no injury to nani, nani was still standing trying to win the ball back, suddenlt the ref gave kompany a red card. kompany went for d ball, won the ball but accused of dangerous play, and off he went.was nani play dangerous or not?
even after d red card, madrid derseved a penalty for rafeal handball. the truth is if man u had won, we wont be here talking about nani's red card. inter milan dont talk motta's red card because they still won.

a bitter lesson to fergie. always admit a ref decision favoured your team rather than defend it. at least dont say anything.
Every team benefits from from refree's mistakes. Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and some other teams have all benefited from refree's mistakes. Vicent Company was never sent off during Man city game against United. Who has the most penalty kicks in the EPL this season? It is Chelsea. The decision has been taken and there is nothing anybody can do about that. Why this discussion is coming up is for us to say the refree made a mistake in that decision and move on. It is those Man United haters who always shout and complain when Man United benefits from such mistakes. Real Madrid has benefited from two mistakes from the refree in two subsequent matches now ( penalty turned down against Barcelona and this red card against Man United). When it goes against them at another time, they shouldn't complain.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by arthurflex(m): 4:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
before the match, i knw that any team that looses will find an excuse, kudos to man utd fans they lost and got a big excuse to give in their prestigious stadium filled with their fans and spectators you should blame your player nani for being unprofessional not knowing that he shouldn't hang his boots up like that he's not the only player in the field.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Adufaye(m): 5:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
mustspin:
So by your theory, anybody that attempts an overhead kick in a crowded box should automatically get a red card, right? and any defender dare not attempt a volleyed clearance as this will raise his leg above the waistline.

I think arbeloa had no business throwing his body at that ball knowing quite well that Nani was not aware of his run
der r diff,btw scorin n tacklin
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by TableLeg(m): 5:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
arthur_flex: before the match, i knw that any team that looses will find an excuse, kudos to man utd fans they lost and got a big excuse to give in their prestigious stadium filled with their fans and spectators you should blame your player nani for being unprofessional not knowing that he shouldn't hang his boots up like that he's not the only player in the field.
Good man!
Well said ...

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
licensed2k:
see this idiota, cant u make a reasonable comment without offensive statements?
Well, thanks for the internet, trolls like you can now vent ur half baked brain for the world to see. Go Get a life boy!
You're a tw@t. Your brain cells have been lost to excessive garri consumption ode.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Oppa Gangnam style grin grin

On a serious note, he deserved the red card.YELLOW FOR TACKLE+YELLOW FOR ACTING=RED CARD grin

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by begwong: 5:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
Just as someone earlier mentioned here, nani abi na mumu-ni,was supposed to be handed the new fifa approved card: Black Card(life ban card) :p
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by mamagee3(f): 5:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
Yes,it was well deserved!!!

He hit someone on the chest with his studs for crying out loud. . .It could have stopped the Arbeloa from breathing.

No one knows how serious it is unless you're in the medical field.

I think the referee made the right decision

2 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by ade101(m): 5:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
What most people fail to realize is the reff really took his time before reaching a final decision. So i am convinced that his assistants agreed with him on it. Scondly nani knows quite well that the attack is very fast and the way arbeloa intended to move with the ball it could prove deadly so he intentionally tried to prevent The sudden attack to allow his players to recover.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by blackpanther25(m): 6:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
The ref made the right call.Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant, It's dangerous play and that means a red card unfortunately.You have to be aware of other players on the pitch. Does Nani think he's going to have the whole field to himself? It doesn't matter if he knows there's somebody there or not, it's irrelevant.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Wantedmiller: 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
The question should be, why did nani raised his leg? Is not clear that he wants to get the ball before the madrid player. Some people are here saying that nani did not see the player. Some people don't deserve to be watching games again.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Costa2000(m): 6:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
Pure Red Card,na so them dey play football?.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by dopeJemi: 6:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
mama-gee:

He hit someone on the chest with his studs for crying out loud. . .It could have stopped the Arbeloa from breathing.

Wtf r u saying ma'am? Nani never hit anyone on d chest, it was his Rib not his chest, dat balL wasn't even a 50.50 chance.. Be sincere, did u expect 2 see arbeoLa, dat ball was 4 nani and his intention was 2 cooL d ball in d air and bring it down, he never saw him coming, nobody saw him coming.. I ask again,if u say he deserved d red card, wah do u av 2 say abt d luiz challenge on cleverLy and his own was worse and yet he wasn't booked.. Wah do u av 2 say

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by dopeJemi: 6:33pm On Mar 06, 2013

wetin una dey yarn sef.. Una hate Man utd, I know buh make una taLk truth, Can u guys swear with ur Lives dat u were expecting d red card, d whoLe stadium was shocked, even d madrid pLayers were shocked.. Fact remains, PLATTINI knows wah he is doing.. I'll back up my cLaim after barca goes tru.. I just feeL sorry 4 Ac milLan
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by KAYD007(m): 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
mama-gee:

dont be pikinshis.....what do u know about futuball anyway eeh? angry

The Madrid goalkeeper punching Vidic in the face. He came for a corner, missed, and punched Vidic right in the chops. So it's a penalty, right? And a red card! He could have knocked him out angry

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 6:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
dopeJemi:

Wtf r u saying ma'am? Nani never hit anyone on d chest, it was his Rib not his chest, dat balL wasn't even a 50.50 chance.. Be sincere, did u expect 2 see arbeoLa, dat ball was 4 nani and his intention was 2 cooL d ball in d air and bring it down, he never saw him coming, nobody saw him coming.. I ask again,if u say he deserved d red card, wah do u av 2 say abt d luiz challenge on cleverLy and his own was worse and yet he wasn't booked.. Wah do u av 2 say

You are so correct. When the ball was cleared from United area into play, it was Nani's ball, no one saw Arbeloa until at the point Nani was to get his foot on the ball, all of a sudden Abeloa ran into Nani causing a collusion for a ball in flight. It wasn't like Arbeloa had the ball before Nani arriv ed. It was a ball in flight that was dropping to Nani's foot for a cool control, but Abeloa's intention was to prevent Nani from going on a counter attack. No Madrid player even thought of a red card. Mourinho usually should protest if it was a bad tackle, but he didn't. When the red card was issued, Mourinho went to console Ferguson on the sideline. I am very sure lots of people who comment here didn't even watch the match. The video uploaded here also is abit misleading because of the angle from which it viewed the incident. If three other angles can be uploaded, people will see more why it shouldn't have been a red.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by dopeJemi: 6:47pm On Mar 06, 2013
KAYD007:

dont be pikinshis.....what do u know about futuball anyway eeh? angry

The Madrid goalkeeper punching Vidic in the face. He came for a corner, missed, and punched Vidic right in the chops. So it's a penalty, right? And a red card! He could have knocked him out angry

Same thing I stated in page5.. Wah if vidic had Lost an eye 4rm d punch he received 4rm d goaLkeeper.. Isint dat a dangerous tackLe dat has endangered d life/eye of sumbody, I'm sure if d keeper had been sent off , man utd haters wud av been complaing And protesting buh as long as it is against United, dey see nuffing wrong with it.. Dey r not only biased buh dey r aLso hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by dopeJemi: 6:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
elampiro:

You are so correct. When the ball was cleared from United area into play, it was Nani's ball, no one saw Arbeloa until at the point Nani was to get his foot on the ball, all of a sudden Abeloa ran into Nani causing a collusion for a ball in flight. It wasn't like Arbeloa had the ball before Nani arriv ed. It was a ball in flight that was dropping to Nani's foot for a cool control, but Abeloa's intention was to prevent Nani from going on a counter attack. No Madrid player even thought of a red card. Mourinho usually should protest if it was a bad tackle, but he didn't. When the red card was issued, Mourinho went to console Ferguson on the sideline. I am very sure lots of people who comment here didn't even watch the match. The video uploaded here also is abit misleading because of the angle from which it viewed the incident. If three other angles can be uploaded, people will see more why it shouldn't have been a red.

WelL said bro, welL said
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by idirect(m): 7:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
[size=13pt]The red card gave Sir Alex a perfect alibi. Great man manager, but average tactician, I have always maintained. When your team goes a man down, rightly or wrongly, you have to make a tactical change. He didn't!He moaned and pleaded with the fans to make more noise. It works in England. Against the best players it's a laughable tactic. He should have immediately taken off RVP who had been a passenger all nigh and brought in an extra midfielder. Jose said when jhe was at Inter that in England they play with their hearts and in Italy and elsewhere they play with their minds. last night was a perfect example.
Jose the tactician quickly changed his plan to bring in Benzema for Higuaim. Took out Aberloa who was on a yellow and would have been booed the whole night and brought in a creative midfielder. The rest is history-atleast in the rest of the world.
Inter Milan lost a man to a dubious redcard at the camp nou in 2010 in the frist few minutes of the first half and still went on to win. Chelsea lost Terry and still went on to win at Camp Nou. I can go on..
Bottom line- Top teams with top managers do not concede 2 goalsin 12 minutes just becuase they lost a man. Alex's lack of tactical awareness cost them the game. Over the two legs they played like a small team that knew they were gainst a superior team (despite the claims that it was a clash of giants) and they went out like a small team- instead of playing lke a team that's leading the supposedly best league in the world by more than 10 points. Let's not forget, Real had 65% possession and no United player had no actual scored a goal before the sending off.

For the record, yes another ref would probably have not given the red card but those of us who do not just watch the EPL see them given in Europe all the time.[/size]
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by tefund(m): 7:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr. Aladin:
What best describes this incident . kung fu . taekwando . karate . shaolin soccer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WbHqhunKl8
justified
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by babyboy3(m): 7:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
Frostyzone: This is what some pundits had to say;

Everton manager David Moyes on BBC
Radio 5 live:
"I think tonight Sir Alex Ferguson will be rightly as angry as he has ever been. The decision changed the game. I am looking from a manager's point of view and Manchester United have had a hard time
tonight. I think they have a right to surround
the referee. The decision was poor and it has
cost them the biggest prize in football."

Former Liverpool and Germany midfielder
Dietmar Hamann on Sky Sports:
"He wants
to bring it down, I think no Real Madrid player
expected it, nobody was claiming a red card.
He didn't see him he didn't mean to do it, it's
not even a booking."

None of the pundits are Man united fans or of English nationality.

David Moyes has been tip as a future united manager, Didi Hamann may not get a job in England if he goes for Nani instead of against......... Look at Mourinho's comments do you think if that was Barcelona he would have the best team lost? He wants the united's job so badly
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by OmoTier1(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
[size=28pt]The law

Fifa law 12, fouls and misconduct, states: "A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play." It clarifies: "Excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent."[/size]

so can all of you now shut up and get ready for the fine coming from UEFA
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by babyboy3(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
elampiro:

In which match was Kompany sent off? Stop misleading people.

scored with a free-kick from an angle, aided by a crucial deflection.
LINEUP, BOOKINGS (7) & SUBSTITUTIONS (6)
Manchester City
01 Hart
04 Kompany (K Toure - 21' )
05 Zabaleta
22 Clichy
33 Nastasic
08 Nasri Booked
18 Barry Booked
21 Silva
42 Y Toure Booked (Dzeko - 84' )
16 Aguero
45 Balotelli (Tevez - 52' Booked )
Substitutes
30 Pantilimon
03 Maicon
06 Lescott
28 K Toure
14 Garcia
10 Dzeko
32 Tevez
Manchester United
01 De Gea
02 Rafael
03 Evra
05 Ferdinand Booked
06 Evans (Smalling - 48' )
07 Valencia (Jones - 84' Booked )
16 Carrick
18 Young
23 Cleverley (Welbeck - 87' )
10 Rooney Booked
20 Van Persie
Substitutes
50 Johnstone
04 Jones
12 Smalling
11 Giggs
22 Scholes
14 Hernandez
19 Welbeck
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20571835

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjVU6Twg2lg

He got nothing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJn4UgpjY4

Only a yellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgFYnaw9d0

Kompany got a red
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 8:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
dopeJemi:

Same thing I stated in page5.. Wah if vidic had Lost an eye 4rm d punch he received 4rm d goaLkeeper.. Isint dat a dangerous tackLe dat has endangered d life/eye of sumbody, I'm sure if d keeper had been sent off , man utd haters wud av been complaing And protesting buh as long as it is against United, dey see nuffing wrong with it.. Dey r not only biased buh dey r aLso hypocrites

Tell them. The goalkeeper gave Vidic a huge punch. Vidic headed the ball, but the keeper went and hit Vidic without he touching the ball at all. That was worse than Nani's incidence.

Let's leave haters jor. Man United rules.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 8:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
baby-boy:

He got nothing!!!

Only a yellow

Kompany got a red

What is in the video you are showing me? Does this relate to the vincent kompany argument or the match of yesterday? You are shifting argument illogically. The point is, City Vs United in November 2012 at Ethihad ended with 11 men, no one was sent off. Man United beat City in their home cleanly. United is record breaker and pace setter.

The video you put up there is not this season.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by almasterpiece(m): 8:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
JUST MIMICKING FLAVOURS TRIBUTE SONG TO Mc LOPH EWE NE WE MU O O MAN U A LAA. EVEN ARSENAL WON WITH 10 MAN AGAINST SUNDERLAND
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by achu442(m): 8:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
The rule says,studs above chest level is a red card whether intentionally or not.,And instead of Nani to get up and apologise,he started rolling on the floor.The refree had to speak to the lines men b4 taking the decision.Its well deserved.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by babyboy3(m): 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
elampiro:

What is in the video you are showing me? Does this relate to the vincent kompany argument or the match of yesterday? You are shifting argument illogically. The point is, City Vs United in November 2012 at Ethihad ended with 11 men, no one was sent off. Man United beat City in their home cleanly. United is record breaker and pace setter.

Record breaker in WHAT?

The fact that a Real Madrid team played poorly and still beat united speaks volume and the best thing Fergie and United fans could do is throw their toys out and blame the ref. (shame Fergie couldn't get Howard Webb to officiate the match)
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 8:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
baby-boy:

He got nothing!!!

Only a yellow

Kompany got a red

This video is F.A cup 5th round last season.

Mancity vs United League match this season eneded with 11 vs 11 men and United won to break City unbeaten home record
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
[b]CNN, A NEUTRAL BODY

Real capitalize on controversial Nani red card to sink Man Utd

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2013 08:12 GMT

Cristiano Ronaldo scored the winner as Real Madrid beat 10-man Manchester United 2-1 Tuesday to reach the quarterfinals of the Champions League 3-2 on aggregate after a pulsating match which turned on the controversial dismissal of Nani just before the hour mark.

United had just gone ahead on the night through a Sergio Ramos own goal when the Portugal midfielder attempted to control a high clearance from his defense.

But Nani's foot was high and his studs caught Real's Alvaro Arbeloa in his midriff as he moved forward to intercept the ball.

Turkish referee Cuneyt Cak?r then stunned the Old Trafford by showing a red card to Nani as he recovered from the collision.

Read: Should Ronaldo return to United?

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson charged down from his touchline seat to protest and as Nani eventually parted the field he was given a consolation pat by Real manager Jose Mourinho.

It was the cue for Real, who had offered little in attack until then, to press forward and the man advantage soon paid in the 66th minute.

Substitute Luka Modric found space outside the penalty box to unleash a curling and unstoppable shot past David de Gea, the highlight for sure of the Croatian's stuttering progress with the Madrid giants since his summer signing.

Two minutes later and United's worst nightmare was complete as old boy Ronaldo, relatively quiet until then, connected with Gonzalo Higuain's clever cross to score at the far post.

Ronaldo pointedly did not celebrate but his goal was decisive, meaning United had to score two more to progress.
http://cnnmobile.com/primary/fullarticle?articleId=urn:newsml:CNN.com:20130305:football-manchester-united-real-dortmund:1&pagesize=10&category=intlsport&pageSize=10
[/b]
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by elampiro(m): 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
baby-boy:

Record breaker in WHAT?

The fact that a Real Madrid team played poorly and still beat united speaks volume and the best thing Fergie and United fans could do is throw their toys out and blame the ref. (shame Fergie couldn't get Howard Webb to officiate the match)

Man United played better. Madrid played their best, they had to rely on referee assistance in both legs to get results. The first leg, Ramos should have been sent off for tackle on Evra. Evra was through with one on one with Madrid goalkeeper, but Ramos who was the last man brought Evra down from behind. That was a red card offence, but we never heard haters mentioned it.

Yesterday, United were on course, better Madrid in tactics but referee had to kill the game.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by samilo88(m): 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
jimcaddy: you are becoming very irritating and persistent.. For the records, Nani's red card wasn't justified in my own opinion. Even Mourinho knows this.. The referee was just too du.mb to see dat.. You don't take decisions dat will ruin a game of that magnitude.. Am sure the game was like 'an ant which sees sugar' in the eyes of the ref.. If it was nigeria dis kind of thing happend, am sure the ref wuld be lying critical in Igbobi Hospital at the moment
Which igbobi? Do you have a short memory or you just pretending to forget what happened against chelsea earlier this season? If any fan is to point accusing fingers at refs it shouldn't be ManU fans. If u like cry from now till next year and wish you have the ref's blood sprinkled on your cereal for breakfast it wouldn't change anything. Go take a chill pill before you die for a club that doesn't know if you exist. Karma just kicked you guys in the butt and life remembered ManU that no one has the Monopoly of cheating others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Sheffield United (2 - 0 ) On 2nd January 2020 / Everton Vs Manchester United (1 - 1 ) On 1st March 2020 / Stoke City Vs Manchester United (2 - 2) On 9th September 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.