Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? (8695 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Why Are Black Women Considered Unattractive? / Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: les filles sont adorables!

Thats why mixed chicks are the best, they have the pros of black women without the downsides cry undecided
undecided undecided
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: those are mixed na, thats the kind of hair that i pursue like a houndog...
their hair is not curly , i don't think they are mixed, anyway it doesn't change the fact that natural hair is beautiful ....
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
adaobi123:
undecided undecided
don't mind him ....
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
lol@ houndog grin grin
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by pleep(m): 3:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
Did yall notice that both those girls have 'kwashio-ko-ko' stomach and one chicken leg...? undecided
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
pleep: Did yall notice that both those girls have 'kwashio-ko-ko' stomach and one chicken leg...? undecided
babies/toddlers always have big stomach
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by TheBookWorm: 3:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
This is not only an African phenomenon. I hear this is also quite prevalent in countries in the Caribbean like in Jamaica. Thankfully, this trend is not practiced by African Americans. The only African American I ever heard of bleaching their skin was Michael Jackson. We as black folk need to be proud of our natural beauty. No need to poison your skin or hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWEgiOrSb8

Gal me honour you!
A you nuh bleach out yuh skin
You nuh use no chemical fi look like a brownin.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2013
^^ shut up , black american spend $3biillion every year in beauty products
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
Driving
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ^^ shut up , black american spend $3biillion every year in beauty products
have you heard of vybz kartel ? this man is jamaican rapper and he bleaches, i guess its not just african americans that bleach. black people in general
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
adaobi123:
have you heard of vybz kartel ? this man is jamaican rapper and he bleaches, i guess its not just african american that bleach. black people in general
exactly.black people regardless the country/continent tho African are leading IMO
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
The African case is particularly sad and stupid because our societies are not driven by Western standards unlike in America and Europe. African are a disgrace
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by TheBookWorm: 4:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ^^ shut up , black american spend $3biillion every year in beauty products

Did I say they didn't? I simply said that skin bleaching is not one of their problems. Perms and weaves are the problems.

But I see skin bleaching as more insidious.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
TheBookWorm:

Did I say they didn't? I simply said that skin bleaching is not one of their problem. Perms and weaves are the problems.

But I see skin bleaching as more insidious.
hummm anyway , black bleach, but I can tolerate BA who do such thing tho
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
slimyem: Seriously,comparing permed hair and weaves with skin bleaching is laughable.
One is reasonably justifiable and the other is not!One makes you better-looking and the other makes you stink,repulsive and ugly!
...and y'all claming you hate weaves and permed hair are just hypocrites or when last did you chat up a chic looking like this?

Word!!!

At least, people with permed hair and weaves can still go back to being natural... A smelly and repulsive skin-bleaching coon will never get her natural skin again - the best he/she will ever get is the "yellow-fever" syndrome, the late Fela Kuti, made a tune about...

Certain topics aren't even meant to be debated... However, what do you expect?? This is nairaland where the average IQ should be at about 20!!! grin

How the fvck can a sensible person justify skin bleaching grin This is beyond laughable, to be honest.. undecided
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Beautiful picture.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 24, 2013
Generally the effects of bleaching are temporary.

When you cease your skin reverts to its natural color.

Only in extreme cases of abuse do you incur burns and irreversible damage to your skin.

The same can be said for weaves too, where extreme cases of alopecia are irreversible - See Naomi Campbell, Azealia Banks, and millions of Nigerian women with noticeable bald spots close to their temples and foreheads.

The hypocrisy in this debate is laughable.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
A lot of Nigerian girls feel that they look "bush" or "local" without wearing weaves or a wig. But here is a beautiful, natural Nigerian girl:

[img]http://nyoobserver.files./2012/12/uzoamaka_maduka.jpg?w=200[/img]

1 Like

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:
Generally the effects of bleaching are temporary.

When you cease your skin reverts to its natural color.

Only in extreme cases of abuse do you incur burns and irreversible damage to your skin.

The same can be said for weaves too, where extreme cases of alopecia are irreversible - See Naomi Campbell, Azealia Banks, and millions of Nigerian women with noticeable bald spots close to their temples and foreheads.

The hypocrisy in this debate is laughable.

Bleaching being temporary depends on the products that u use. Some products are so dangerous that there is no turning back
Relaxing is very bad, and both bleaching and hair texture's alteration are the result of the black woman self hate
but in my opinion bleaching is way worst.
Alopecia can be genetic. If u are predisposed to having it, weaving, wig and relaxer will precipitate it occurrence.
If it is not in your genes, u can have it as well with wigs, weaves...but also even if your hair is natural, cause it's also depend on how tight your usual hairstyles are.
I understand your initial point though. And you are totally right.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 24, 2013
Sybellah:

Bleaching being temporary depends on the products that u use. Some products are so dangerous that there is no turning back
Relaxing is very bad, and both bleaching and hair texture's alteration are the result of the black woman self hate
Alopecia can be genetic. If u are predisposed to having it, weaving, wig and relaxer will precipitate it occurrence.
If it is not in your genes, u can have it as well with wigs, weaves...but also even if your hair is natural, cause it's also depend on how tight your usual hairstyles are.

People are yet to say why or how Bleaching is "fundamentally" worse.

Extreme use or health implication aside. Richer Nigerian women have access to safe methods to lighten their skin.

Is it then okay or still much worse than wearing weaves?

If it is worse, WHY?
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 24, 2013
Sybellah:

A lot of things are genetic, my dear. Some people have more sensitive skin than others and this may accelerate the negative effects of dangerous bleaching creams should they decide to bleach.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
When you really allow yourself to think about it, weaves are just hideous.
I can't say much for other cultures, but in nigeria here I rarely get to see an out and out bleached skin these days. Usually just this mild toning almost everyone does. Don't particularly like it, but I can live with it. Same with using hair products on the natural hair.
The way I see it, you're simply improving on what is a natural part of you.
But lumping a weave on, that's not right at all. At all.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:

People are yet to say why or how Bleaching is "fundamentally" worse.

Extreme use or health implication aside. Richer Nigerian women have access to safe methods to lighten their skin.

Is it then okay or still much worse than wearing weaves?

If it is worse, WHY?

Poorer people have access to very dangerous creams that can lead to skin cancer, kidney failure and more, the effect of bleaching on your health are more serious than those of relaxing overtime.
"Safer bleaching cream" although they have less spontaneous effects on somebody's health, can be serious overtime.
Relaxing, I can understand why most black women do it, (though i do not relax anymore). I started at an early age 7, and before stopping, i was worrying about how i was gonna manage naturally nappy hair. What women need is a bit of education on the matter.
With hair relaxer women can hide behind the fact that it's difficult to manage nappy hair, and with the different degrees of nappz, i can see why. But with bleaching? What can be your alibi?
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
Sybellah:

Poorer people have access to very dangerous creams that can lead to skin cancer, kidney failure and more, the effect of bleaching on your health are more serious than those of relaxing overtime.
"Safer bleaching cream" although they have less spontaneous effects on somebody's health, can be serious overtime.
Relaxing, I can understand why most black women do it, (though i do not relax anymore). I started at an early age 7, and before stopping, i was worrying about how i was gonna manage naturally nappy hair. What women need is a bit of education on the matter.
With hair relaxer women can hide behind the fact that it's difficult to manage nappy hair, and with the different degrees of nappz, i can see why. But with bleaching? What can be your alibi?

Not enough attention is given to substandard hair relaxers and other dangerous hair products used by poorer people in Africa. To be honest I consider this a bigger threat to African women as there are more relaxed African girls/women than bleached ones.

These are health implications of hair relaxing in richer countries where chemical products are better regulated - it may even affect you on a hormonal level shocked:

http://madamenoire.com/139486/relaxers-linked-to-uterine-fibroid-tumors-and-early-puberty/

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2011/12/when-your-hair-relaxer-is-toxic

http://www.livestrong.com/article/231810-relaxer-damage-to-the-scalp-hair/

Talk nothing of poorer countries, where relaxers are likely to contain even more dangerous chemicals that are barely researched.

By the way, most women give the excuse of natural hair being hard to maintain without relaxers, but they forget relaxers came to the scene only recently - I'd say 1970's and 1980's as far as Africa is concerned.

How were African women managing their hair up until that point?

Denials, denials, denials.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
I also want to emphasize on weaves being highly used - especially, big, obvious and loud straight weaves. This has nothing to do with managing softer hair or any other BS excuse that we women love to use.

How is this better than bleaching, health risk aside?
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:

Not enough attention is given to substandard hair relaxers and other dangerous hair products used by poorer people in Africa. To be honest I consider this a bigger threat to African women as there are more relaxed African girls/women than bleached ones.

These are health implications of hair relaxing in richer countries where chemical products are better regulated - it may even affect you on a hormonal level shocked:

http://madamenoire.com/139486/relaxers-linked-to-uterine-fibroid-tumors-and-early-puberty/

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2011/12/when-your-hair-relaxer-is-toxic

http://www.livestrong.com/article/231810-relaxer-damage-to-the-scalp-hair/

Talk nothing of poorer countries, where relaxers are likely to contain even more dangerous chemicals that are barely researched.

By the way, most women give the excuse of natural hair being hard to maintain without relaxers, but they forget relaxers came to the scene only recently - I'd say 1970's and 1980's as far as Africa is concerned.

How were African women managing their hair up until that point?

Denials, denials, denials.

Thanks for the links! There were very informative.
now post those of bleaching to better compare.
I will say it again: IMO bleaching is more dangerous overtime.
See the overtime highlighted.
Using relaxers for altering your appearance does not make you better than the one that bleach vice versa. But women bleaching their skin will develop sequel from it at a faster rate.
In no way I am defending the use of relaxing, don't get my opinion twisted.

Women in the past had ways to soften their hair, not with chemicals but hairstyles such as breading and especially threading. Threading make your hair really soft, detangled, but i hardly see young women with such styles these days. Some of these hairstyles can be bad as well when the hair is too pulled. It ll be a mistake to think women at this period of time had no hair issues. They did. Those that used to leave it in Afro form usually had it shorter because then it easier to manage depending on the hair texture.
Are you natural yourself? If yes, what kind of hairstyle do u do?
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:
I also want to emphasize on weaves being highly used - especially, big, obvious and loud straight weaves. This has nothing to do with managing softer hair or any other BS excuse that we women love to use.

How is this better than bleaching, health risk aside?

up until here, i did not talk of weaves being better than bleaching
although u cannot talk of bleaching without health issues.
Bleaching with no health issues, its like cooking a stew with no meats and ingredients inside=tasteless
From your first post I thought you were saying women that alter their hair have no right to criticize bleaching
and I agreed with that.
However the more u talk, the more u seem to be a pro-bleaching. undecided

To reply to your question, on a more tangible aspect, weaves are removable contrary to bleaching which can be permanent.
Also there are different types of weaves, afro included.
On a more psychological aspect, both relate to self-hate since they r used for altering appearance.

Since u seem to be defending bleaching, I ll return u the question, how is bleaching better than weaves considering health effects
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
I am not pro-bleaching by any means.

The point of this thread is to show that bleaching and hair relaxing/weaving are much more equal in their causes or effects than people want to acknowledge.

And that most Black women (who are relaxed and weaved) have no right to call anyone out on bleaching.
Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
nnenna.1:
I am not pro-bleaching by any means.

The point of this thread is to show that bleaching and hair relaxing/weaving are much more equal in their causes or effects than people want to acknowledge.

And that most Black women (who are relaxed and weaved) have no right to call anyone out on bleaching.

Re: Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 25, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII:

{IDSAG} Based on Facebook and Naija Films it seems an Overwhelmingly High Majority of South Eastern Women Bleach Imo

It's like 1 out of every 4 Profiles a SE Chick Has Black Hands and Bleached out Face.

The Ish is Repulsive Imo

It also seems like Brownskin Women Bleach at far higher numbers than Dark Black Women.

Brownskin women seem to be obsessed with Getting Lighter

DS Black Women FTW.

So untrue. Ibos have the highest rate of natural light-skin people in Nigeria. That's a known fact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ikwerre Music / Kanuri People / Would You Obey Tradition And Allow Your Wife Appear Like This On Your TM Day 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.