Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41542 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Uche2nna(m): 7:49pm On Apr 02, 2008
morenike09:

well now you've heard it. . . yes, US only intervened because of Japan, but what took them long to actually take action is because they were busy deciding which nation (Japan or Germany) to attack first.

@ Mo
Honestly, I would like to know ur sources cos this is a new one on me

Its generally believed that the US only entered into the war due to the pearl harbor event. Even before that the US was supplying financial and military support to the Allied forces and Germany was actually sinking US supply ships. However, that did not prompt US to join the war until the kamikaze thingy @ pearl harbor.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 02, 2008
yme? where have you been? thought you would have come sooner. . .i just enjoy it when you come out of hiding just for my sake. . . wink love it when ppl feel the need to make multiple I.Ds just to follow me around. . .dnt you enjoy it too? wink man!! i must be that wicked cool
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 7:51pm On Apr 02, 2008
@ morenike09,

How did the UK help Nigerian illiterates?
There are no dubious visa lottery schemes here to help Nigerian illiterates.
UK is a better place to live than the USA. . . . . .
If u have any fact to back why u think USA is better, show em here.
However, if u haven't been to the UK, don't even bother cos half of what u wld spew are hearsays.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 02, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ Mo
Honestly, I would like to know your sources because this is a new one on me

Its generally believed that the US only entered into the war due to the pearl harbor event. Even before that the US was supplying financial and military support to the Allied forces and Germany was actually sinking US supply ships. However, that did not prompt US to join the war until the kamikaze thingy @ pearl harbor.
nope, dnt laugh o. , my source was my junior high school notes grin grin. . .man!! that class was my best. . .i can tell you the book's website though

http://www.course-notes.org/us_history/american_pageant_12th_edition_outlines/chapter_36%3a_america_in_world_war_ii/

am not saying that's not the reason why they joined the war. . .am saying the reason why it took them longer to actually attack was time used deciding Which nation to attack. i already explained why. . .read up!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 02, 2008
The Jackal:

@ morenike09,

How did the UK help Nigerian illiterates?
There are no dubious visa lottery schemes here to help Nigerian illiterates.
UK is a better place to live than the USA. . . . . .
If u have any fact to back why u think USA is better, show em here.
However, if u haven't been to the UK, don't even bother because half of what u would spew are hearsays.

Look baby doll, if you have no further questions but to ask me who is illiterate and who is smart, dnt bother directing a post to me. have you lived in the US enough to judge it? if yes, then what you're saying about it is based on your own experience and opinion. . .

so American has a special scheme to help the Nigerian illiterates? that's a new one. what's the organization? SHNL? Scheme to Help Nigerian Illiterates?

just know the reason why your further post will be ignored, if its not worth answering wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by akins4(m): 7:59pm On Apr 02, 2008
are we here to argue or give opinions?,

afterall we are all brothers and sisters now,
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 8:13pm On Apr 02, 2008
Baby doll? I am having a laugh.

U were the one that quoted me in the 1st place. . . .It seems u are reading with your rose-tinted glasses.
Thang is, i have stayed in both parts of the world for me to know which one is better.
Anyways. . . . U don't have to pay attention to ma comments, i would let smarter heads in America do that.

P.S. . . Call me a baby doll again and i wld call u GRANNY.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
Granny. . . hmmm!! who knows. . .sounds sexy!! tongue

just dnt choke on that laugh o. . .
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by akniyalo: 8:27pm On Apr 02, 2008
WELL, I live in the UK and it is far better than US

1. The UK has a large Nigerian society with benefits such as: 9ja food, clubs, parties
2. free healthcare (for both people with papers and without!!!)
3. there is good transportation and very frequent which means u don't have 2 buy a car, whereas in USA u would have to drive everywhere and get FAT!
4. Free education and lets not for get that u get paid 2 go 2 school. #
5. Its more lively than USA
And many other things but people should try and visit the UK, personally life is more easier and much more convenient!!!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by texazzpete(m): 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2008
akniyalo:

1. The UK has a large Nigerian society with benefits such as: Nigeria food, clubs, parties
3. there is good transportation and very frequent which means u don't have 2 buy a car, whereas in USA u would have to drive everywhere and get FAT!
And many other things but people should try and visit the UK, personally life is more easier and much more convenient!!!

You forgot to mention crippling taxes on everything from trash to TV.or the important fact that things are considerably more expensive for transit shoppers in the Uk than the US.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2008
at above poster. . .all you just described happens in US too. . .except no paper no healthcare.

scholarships. . free. want to know how much i got paid to go to college?. . .man!! they were even begging the seniors to apply for scholarships. even one scholarships can pay for everything. . called Bright Futures. so easy to get too.

public schools!! free education! same here

City Buses takes you to almost all cities. . .depends on the route number. they're even trying to make it more convenient by making the bus bigger and more comfy.

about Nigerian Night clubs and parties, well, i would not know. prefer to stay away from them.

all i can say here is that the only reason you prefer to go to UK is b/c of the health care/ parties. cause most of what happens in UK happens in US wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Sista(f): 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2008
@Londoner

I think it really depends on which type of person you are. I grew up wanting to live in America, but after spending months there and travelling around, it made me appreciate the UK. People from the UK tend to have their own minds and opinions. I find the average American to be like a zombie, they are told what to think and are waaaay too emotional for me.

I do think that America is definately the place for more opportunity whatever the field.

Interesting analysis, emotional and zombie like people are able to somehow cultivate a country full of opportunity, wow!   undecided

I can't stand US TV though, they tend to talk down to the viewers which I find patronising. They don't promote thought or personal development, they are more interested in grooming simple minded consumers,

Another Interesting one, who would have ever thought that a place full of a lot of opportunity, would also be the place that is  full of simple minded consumers? Tell me this, Who are those patronizing, consumer, TV people, capitalizing on?

sorry I find Americans to be very dull where conversation is concerned and very insular, as they shun exposure to anything outside America and are proud of their ignorance. The quality conversations I had in America were not with Americans, but people from Europe/Asia etc.

And who would the Americans be? undecided

Also, I think blind patriotism in the US stunts Americans, they never seriously question their leadership , in the UK we do this all the time, we see it as our right.

Has this guy ever been to America, let alone stayed in America?

I prefer the European way of life when it comes to family, I feel too many Americans are striving for the dream that they neglect family life, always trying to keep up with the Jones's whereas in the UK people tend to march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to home life, we prioritise family more.

Who would those UK home life people be? you have already stated that Asians and Europeans in America are not Americans. undecided

I dislike the Uk weather and the fact that its too expensive and you have too work much harder to see what you are working for

The UK is more expensive yet they have no form of mind control or zombie like people to capitalize on? Who is questioning that? Unlike the Americans who do not question their leadership?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by rite2salas(m): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2008
Its gonna be US anyday any time, UK is jus like Lagos only that they have oyinbo roaming abt the street, my cuzn in UK says people are selling Chemiron in the UK, WTF??
Plus they all gat this terrible accent too , the only thing i like about UK is premiership,
US, land of dreams cool
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2008
he he he he he he he he! grin  This is becoming way too hilarious! he he he he he he he he! cheesy  Gosh, so this is where this thread is hiding? grin Infact, the best thing to do is to observe for now.

I don't know what the problem is. . .stay in your UK let us stay in our US!  Simple! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2008

iamworried (f)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom
« #131 on: Today at 06:28:34 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@almondjoy

all these your rantings and bragging. you are yet to stop !!!

you are nothing but an ECONOMIC ASYLUM SEEKER IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
and your case is still pending with the authorities.

you should spend your time fasting and praying to God so that your bag of lies will not be detected by the  authorities and you wont be placed on the first plane back to naija.

@nairalanders. abeg make una read this thread. pages one and two

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-65653.0.html

post number 25 and 29

As you can see most have read about your problems and your interested audience have confined themselves to that thread. This thread is for people who have managed to escape from under Mile2 bridge unlike you. So please excuse yourself and your stupidity while we have a good time ok?

You have been given the much needed attention you deserve go to any other thread that discusses Nigerian poverty issues and deal with your peers there. We now have moderators we can identify with on Nairaland, so please respect yourself and go play your lousy, boring game elsewhere.

Not interested in your garbage! I am still here and you keep appearing under different names. Please clear out of here. You are disturbing with your rubbish!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2008
Let the games continue! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 9:06pm On Apr 02, 2008
akniyalo:

1. The UK has a large Nigerian society with benefits such as: Nigeria food, clubs, parties

God Bless You!!!!!!!!!!!

Life in the USA is very boring. . . . .It's strictly for anti-socials. Letz ask our American friends how often they see each other.
Joe and Peter lives 8 hours away with +4 hrs time difference . . . . Is that a place i want to stay in?
Unlike the compact UK where i can visit anywhere at any time without taking me own car.

Furthermore, their healthcare is crap.
The American healthcare system is at once the most expensive and the most inadequate system in the developed world.
People can lie down for hours unattended to just because they don't have healthcare insurance . . . . . . Is this a country?
Many citizens continue to work after retirement as it is the only way health cover can continue.  grin grin grin
American drugs are too expensive and many go all the way to Canada to get cheap drugs.

@ Almondjoy,

Please ignore the irritants. tongue tongue tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 9:07pm On Apr 02, 2008

amsky (f)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom
« #28 on: Yesterday at 10:20:47 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almondjoy!!!!! When last did you visit those relatives of yours?

I would rather hop on a bus that drive sometimes you know. Most of the guys here have got cars, but the transport system is organised in such a way that you can get by really well without a car. Even my husband gets on the train to work sometimes.  
There are lots of people who you see with ''Tesco'' and ''Costco'' bags here that have got nice cars. I know a lady(Nigerian) who has a 4wheel drive but would rather take the tram.

Like Otele said, London is a leveler. You really do not know who is who till you really get to know them. You may see me hop on the bus with my baby in her buggy and think i'm just any kind o'person.  But just stalk me to my house, and you'll be ''amazed'' at what you'd find out about me.  

It's all about what one wants.

I visited them last year.  I don't think I plan on going there any time soon. They are to visit this summer and I can't say I am looking forward to it! angry  They always sleep in Walmart and I am afraid if I take them to any of the "Outlet Malls" here. . .they would ALL shop lift! grin  Nothing like Liverpool Street at all! grin I don't have money for bail oooooooooooh! cheesy  When people come over from the UK to visit in the US. . they always leave with a criminal record for having sticky fingers.  As soon as the leave any stores. . .alarms and bells start going off.  You will find anything from musical CDs, movies, underwear or even food stuff under their jackets! grin  You guys steal too much! grin

London is a leveller?  What is American then?  A deleveller? undecided  Can a person who does not speak "cockney" survive in UK?  No one will even help you find your way.  Here people will take the patience to walk you through without some gypsies trying to rob you blind! grin

That baby buggy nonsense is another one I cannot stand.  People will have cars and be struggling with buggies in buses?  Only rif raffs do that here.  Of course when you do not have roads to drive those cars on. . .you can only resort to buggies.  I find that very annoying!  In my first 2 years over here, I caught the bus and rode the trams.  No way in hell would  I do such a thing now. 

LEVEL DON CHANGE!!!  In Uk. . . that your leveller you are talking about is a retrogressive leveller! Austerity measure leveller!   What I don't understand is why you guys like sufferhead life too much.  You have a 4-wheel drive but choose to expose yourself and your baby to TB and STDs on buses school children and mad men and women have been frolicking in?  Yes!  You choose austerity and we choose prosperity I say!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2008
A lot of people complain about the tax system but thats bollocks.
The minimum wage here is about 5.35 pounds($10) and its about $7(it varies from state to state) in the USA.[/b]For instance, Georgia pays aboout $5.25 which is less than 3 pounds in the UK.
Even animals make more money than that!   Please do the math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer the UK anytime, anyday.
It's more compact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b]If your 5 pound minimum wage can only buy you one loaf of Agege bread,of what use is it? grin

That individual earning $7.00 in the USA,has several $7.00/hr jobs to choose from,with prospects of moving up.
In some places ,he can even own his own home if he's a hard worker.
Money means nothing if it has no buying power.

I can see the system have you all well under control.
Collecting income support and claiming your husbands are deceased to get moni
We have one on another thread in Ireland
go forward no way
backward no way
make una pack return to Iyana Ipaja grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by dreeldee: 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2008
you'all so serious about this topic like it's your home country, it's home all da way NAIJA to Da, and while still on the topic please keep it cool smiley
between i prefer Yankee
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 02, 2008
honey wait first make we blow these London folks into the laps of queen Eliza
today na today
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2008

Is this a joke? embarassed
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by FemiATL: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
This is a really funny thread with different emotions spilling out.

Obviously the US is better than the UK.

Most people who claim they were not impressed after a visit to the US have not seen nothing yet. Then secondly when they realise they cannot stay-----since they do not have SSN----then they become so pissed-------we see them. Patapata ur host carry u go the malls--------in the city they know------dats all------abi?

Come visit the people in the US who no how to enjoy themsleves------I guarantee you'll never want to go back.

I do not even know where to start, there is no comparisim.

But strangely I love Naija with all my skin!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
almondjoy:

I visited them last year. I don't think I plan on going there any time soon. They are to visit this summer and I can't say I am looking forward to it! angry They always sleep in Walmart and I am afraid if I take them to any of the "Outlet Malls" here. . .they would ALL shop lift! grin Nothing like Liverpool Street at all! grin I don't have money for bail oooooooooooh! cheesy When people come over from the UK to visit in the US. . they always leave with a criminal record for having sticky fingers. As soon as the leave any stores. . .alarms and bells start going off. You will find anything from musical CDs, movies, underwear or even food stuff under their jackets! grin You guys steal too much! grin

London is a leveller? What is American then? A deleveller? undecided Can a person who does not speak "cockney" survive in UK? No one will even help you find your way. Here people will take the patience to walk you through without some gypsies trying to rob you blind! grin

That baby buggy nonsense is another one I cannot stand. People will have cars and be struggling with buggies in buses? Only rif raffs do that here. Of course when you do not have roads to drive those cars on. . .you can only resort to buggies. I find that very annoying! In my first 2 years over here, I caught the bus and road the trams. No way in hell would I do such a thing now.
LEVEL DON CHANGE!!! In Uk. . . that your leveller you are talking about is a retrogressive leveller! Austerity measure leveller!

ROFL.
The "push chairs" as they call them are complete vehicles in the UK grin
They suppose get their own traffic lane
They have them in different makes and models with assorted umbrellas and fancy buggy rain coats grin
Try hopping onto them double deckers,you'll be lucky not to be run over or tripped by them.
That place na waya
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
@ nwando,

Its an expensive city. . . . .we don't depend on food-stamps.
Besides, The UK is richer than USA. . . . Most of y'all supposed wealth is built on heaps of indebtedness.

Economy

The main reason the USA appears richer than UK, first of all,  is because a higher proportion of Americans are in employment and, secondly, they work about 20% more hours per year than Europeans.
In truth, both the employment rate and how long the average person works are explained mainly by political history. Until the late 1970s total hours worked were falling both in the UK and in the USA; since then, total hours worked have continued to fall in the UK but have risen again in the US.
Equally, if we look at employment data by age group, Americans join the work force earlier and leave it far later than Britons.
The key to understanding why this has happened is the change in US income distribution over the past 30 years.
Since 1979, the bottom 40% of income earners in the US has been treading water, while the bottom 20% has become poorer. US workers have needed to put in more years and longer hours simply to maintain their real income position.

Comparing the economic performance of the UK and the USA does not lead one to conclude that America has the more dynamic economy, or that it has performed better in the past or will do so in future.
The most important feature of the comparison is neither the growth nor the unemployment record of the US and the UK.
It is, rather, that US growth, unlike that in the UK, is funded by a dangerously high mountain of foreign debt.
US external indebtedness, in turn, is driven by the US house-price bubble, enabling US consumers to spend more than they earn. Ironically, it is the UK which, together with China and Japan, continues to lend the money to the US which keeps their households spending and their economy growing.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2008
Yea seriously people that have cars and take their baby carriages on trains are disgusting. I think the sam eof those who run around NYC subway with their baby carriages. Are they insane?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 02, 2008
Joe and Peter lives 8 hours away with +4 hrs time difference . . . . Is that a place i want to stay in?
Unlike the compact UK where i can visit anywhere at any time without taking me own car.

Ah, ah blame it on land mass. The UK is as tiny as my fist, why won't you guys trek to meet one another cheesy.

It looks as if jackal signed up just for this topic lipsrsealed
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 02, 2008
The Jackal:

@ nwando,

Its an expensive city. . . . .we don't depend on food-stamps.
Besides, The UK is richer than USA. . . . Most of y'all supposed wealth is built on heaps of indebtedness.

Economy

The main reason the USA appears richer than UK, first of all,  is because a higher proportion of Americans are in employment and, secondly, they work about 20% more hours per year than Europeans.
In truth, both the employment rate and how long the average person works are explained mainly by political history. Until the late 1970s total hours worked were falling both in the UK and in the USA; since then, total hours worked have continued to fall in the UK but have risen again in the US.
Equally, if we look at employment data by age group, Americans join the work force earlier and leave it far later than Britons.
The key to understanding why this has happened is the change in US income distribution over the past 30 years.
Since 1979, the bottom 40% of income earners in the US has been treading water, while the bottom 20% has become poorer. US workers have needed to put in more years and longer hours simply to maintain their real income position.

Comparing the economic performance of the UK and the USA does not lead one to conclude that America has the more dynamic economy, or that it has performed better in the past or will do so in future.
The most important feature of the comparison is neither the growth nor the unemployment record of the US and the UK.
It is, rather, that US growth, unlike that in the UK, is funded by a dangerously high mountain of foreign debt.
US external indebtedness, in turn, is driven by the US house-price bubble, enabling US consumers to spend more than they earn. Ironically, it is the UK which, together with China and Japan, continues to lend the money to the US which keeps their households spending and their economy growing.

Honey,forget theory and get down to practicals.
whip out your pipettes and burettes and start proper titrations. grin
Tell me how much a school nurse earns in the UK and how much the same nurse would earn in the USA working 40 hours.
Then tell me how much they can each buy with their salaries in their respective countries.
That is the true test
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 9:22pm On Apr 02, 2008

You shld have stayed in Nigeria. There Joe and Peter live 8 minutes away with no time difference. Besides Joe and Peter dont have to put up with endless rain.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

If your 5 pound minimum wage can only buy you one loaf of Agege bread,of what use is it? grin

That individual earning $7.00 in the USA,has several $7.00/hr jobs to choose from,with prospects of moving up.
In some places ,he can even own his own home if he's a hard worker.
Money means nothing if it has no buying power.

I can see the system have you all well under control.
Collecting income support and claiming your husbands are deceased to get moni
We have one on another thread in Ireland
go forward no way
backward no way
make una pack return to Iyana Ipaja grin

No need to go back to Iyana.  Uk na the real Iyana! grin  Don't you see the way they shout across the streets, prostrating and "Shey Alafia-ing" all over the place?! grin I say look at them on Nairaland. . .Dr Bassey of "The Village Headmaster" is even better than most of them! They have tribal settlements in UK. . .you will think you are still in Nigeria! grin

Has anyone from the UK ever proposed to you? They are so dry that you feel like putting rat poison in their food. Follow them to the club abi na disco them deey call am. . . you will just shake your head.  Like they have 2 left legs!  No rhythm.  Very akward.   The bed matter nko?  Very lousy! grin  Most of them have all shrivilled up weapons because of snow and bad climate. . . even a duck will give you greater satisfaction.  But come over here. . . education oooooooh, we are #1.  Party ooooooooooooooh. . .we are #1.  Second to no order.  Thank God for Jamaicans over there!  If akata person rap you here, you will forget your soul! kiss  Even with ebonics! tongue

We may be fat. . .but in that their cold, inhumane weather only fatness can cure their sorrows,. since no central heating without the use of coin meters!!! grin

Trying desperately to keep things clean here!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

The "push chairs" as they call them are complete vehicles in the UK grin
They suppose get their own traffic lane
They have them in different makes and models with assorted umbrellas and fancy buggy rain coats grin
Try hopping onto them double deckers,you'll be lucky not to be run over or tripped by them.
That place na waya

Rofl  grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 9:24pm On Apr 02, 2008

Why leave Nigeria in the first place? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25)

Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board / 5 Countries That Don't Want You To Visit Them (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.