Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41543 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2008
danity:

How can?

In my opinion, UK is wayyyyyyyyyyy better.
Guys, seriously - mentally, Physically, Socially, economically. . . . . . . . do you all want me to continue?

plz do. . wan*na see how many of them there are. . eh en! economically. . .continue o!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Imani(f): 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2008
I have been to the US several times, and while the places i visited where all right, i always longed to come back to the UK.

Yes the houses are much larger, probably as Americans are fatter more flashy and like more space.

In terms of style, London is much on the scene as much some parts of the US. A relative of mine keeps saying to bring him "proper" shirts. We are not talking 5 for $10 like you guys have over there.

Someone mentioned it is difficult to get jobs. Maybe if you don't have your papers. Changing jobs is not difficult, it depends on what you want and how ambitious you are.

I also prefer the transportation system here. I have been lazy with driving here, which is not that easy, but at least i still get to move around. In the US, without a car, is without a Life.

People say health insurance is "free" in the UK, they forget it comes out of the 22% taxes they pay or will pay in the future.

Entertainment is a bore here and most people don't have a life as they are working morning, afternoon, night and if possible to have more than 7 days a week, some people work till they drop because of the almighty pounds. I don't think there is much point working soo hard to take of the royal family, prisoners, and those people on benefits because they refuse to work.

Safety in the UK is almost now a thing of the past. You could walk around anytime of the day and night and feel safe, but now, even during the day, the so called "youths" are more feared than the police, since they can't be touched if they are below 16, except the commit violent crimes. In that regard, the american hardline on crime is better. At least criminals, if caught, will know they will spend a considerable amount of time behind bars.

I could go on and on. But i guess we all have our preferences. The UK is a small island, but almost busting from recent immigration from all and sundry.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2008
danity:

How can?

Guys, seriously - mentally, Physically, Socially, economically. . . . . . . . do you all want me to continue?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! For buggy driving baby mamas and dadas of course!

The Jackal:

@ D-reloaded,

Don't even open y'all can of worms. . .
Your country have the highest number of sexual deviants in the whole world.
Pedophiles, Mysophiles, Teratophiles etc. . . .
22 million Blacks have passed through the Prison system . . . .never mind the whites.
Your country breeds more barbarians than any other country in the world.

@ Almondjoy,

Are u saying u don't know an average american is dumb?
Ask em where Nigeria is  and most of em will tell u its in Europe.
Most of em don't even know there's an anutha country apart from the USA.

Come see American tourists on the tower bridge here in UK behaving like lunatics.
All they do is to swear with their fat backsides and sag their pants like a prison sissy.
The whole country is a mess. . . . . .

@ Nwando,

You can't be serious. . . . .
How can u compare council flats in the UK to y'all projects.
The Projects in the USA is the equivalent of Amuwo Odofin housing estates with people spreading clothes on their balconys.
American dream is the biggest facade ever. . . . . Only few of em actually live the dream.
Others are better of shinning shoes in Idumota.

You are not serious!  Thank your stars danity is here to save you from drowning! Just answer one question.  Why did you guys follow dummies to Iraq.  What does that make you? grin  A dummy's butt wipe?  I think I prefer the former! kiss
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 02, 2008
4 Play:

If you can afford health insurance in the US,you can afford it in the UK.I prefer BUPA here to the NHS.However,the fact still remains that unlike the US(where a whopping 40m don't have coverage)you are still entitled to free healthcare just in case you can't afford or don't want private coverage.

When Obama is prancing around talking about universal health coverage,look at the applause he gets.No need pretending that Americans are satisfied with their health care situation.Some even have to go to Canada.

4play,I happen to work in the health care industry.
quote me on this
NO AMERICAN CAN BE DENIED CARE AT ANY PUBLIC HEALTH FACILTY USUALLY CALLED COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS FOR FAILURE TO PAY.
They have federal funding and that is the law.
I happen to work in one of them,we can't turn anyone away
Don't believe all that hype of politics
America takes care of it's poor very well.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 10:09pm On Apr 02, 2008
Imani:

I have been to the US several times, and while the places i visited where all right, i always longed to come back to the UK.

Yes the houses are much larger, probably as Americans are fatter more flashy and like more space.

In terms of style, London is much on the scene as much some parts of the US. A relative of mine keeps saying to bring him "proper" shirts. We are not talking 5 for $10 like you guys have over there.

Someone mentioned it is difficult to get jobs. Maybe if you don't have your papers. Changing jobs is not difficult, it depends on what you want and how ambitious you are.

I also prefer the transportation system here. I have been lazy with driving here, which is not that easy, but at least i still get to move around. In the US, without a car, is without a Life.

People say health insurance is "free" in the UK, they forget it comes out of the 22% taxes they pay or will pay in the future.

Entertainment is a bore here and most people don't have a life as they are working morning, afternoon, night and if possible to have more than 7 days a week, some people work till they drop because of the almighty pounds. I don't think there is much point working soo hard to take of the royal family, prisoners, and those people on benefits because they refuse to work.

Safety in the UK is almost now a thing of the past. You could walk around anytime of the day and night and feel safe, but now, even during the day, the so called "youths" are more feared than the police, since they can't be touched if they are below 16, except the commit violent crimes. In that regard, the american hardline on crime is better.  

I could go on and on. But i guess we all have our preferences. The UK is a small island, but almost busting from recent immigration from all and sundry.

So whose side are you on ma? grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

quote me on this
NO AMERICAN CAN BE DENIED CARE AT ANY PUBLIC HEALTH FACILTY USUALLY CALLED COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS FOR FAILURE TO PAY.

Jackal resurrected! Did you read that? tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2008
@ 4play,

Thanx for hitting the bull's eye.

@ Nwando,

Please explain this . . . .

Healthcare
40 millions American have no healthcare insurance(1 out of every 6-7 people u meet have no Health Insurance).
The government's annual bill for healthcare spending -- $3,925 per person -- significantly exceeds that of other nations, because physicians' salaries and hospital costs are higher, and medical technology is more widely used.
FACT: The American healthcare system is at once the most expensive and the most inadequate system in the developed world.
People can lie down for hours unattended to just because they don't have healthcare insurance . . . . . . Is this a country?
American drugs are too expensive and many go all the way to Canada to get cheap drugs.

This system is CRAP because only those with sufficient money receive the full medical cover and many of the poorest sections of society are left with little or no cover. There are 2 systems in place that cover old age and the poorest sections of society Medicare and Medicade , but both require the person to apply for them and make them jump through many hoops to obtain cover and coverage mostly only provides the basic cover and little choice in service supplier. Preventative medicine is not practiced to ensure the nation's overall health  
Children's dental health and eyesight needs are not covered as well.  
Many citizens continue to work after retirement as it is the only way health cover can continue.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2008
As for those talking of crime.The US has 3 times the murder rate of the UK. A woman is at least 6 times more likely to be raped in the US than in the UK. . . .are people in the US that Hot? The US also has higher levels of sexual assault.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by danity: 10:13pm On Apr 02, 2008
Seriously, politics in the US is messed up.
Economically, US is depressed.
All you do is enter more gbese than you can achieve.
Also, I believe you guys are defending the US cos that's where you live.
But in your hearts, y'all know UK is better.
UK is smaller than US and yet, it's stronger.

Remove your biases and see what's really up.

@ AJ, that's so true, lol. They might have loads of babies. But out of US and UK, US is more morally bankrupt though the UK has more evidence of their bankruptcy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by rite2salas(m): 10:14pm On Apr 02, 2008
danity:

How can?

UK is dull Socially all they have is punk and wild musics
US is better economically, chk wikipedia grin
do u want me to continue?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 02, 2008
The Jackal:

@ 4play,

Thanx for hitting the bull's eye.

@ Nwando,

Please explain this . . . .

Healthcare
40 millions American have no healthcare insurance(1 out of every 6-7 people u meet have no Health Insurance).
The government's annual bill for healthcare spending -- $3,925 per person -- significantly exceeds that of other nations, because physicians' salaries and hospital costs are higher, and medical technology is more widely used.
FACT: The American healthcare system is at once the most expensive and the most inadequate system in the developed world.
People can lie down for hours unattended to just because they don't have healthcare insurance . . . . . . Is this a country?
American drugs are too expensive and many go all the way to Canada to get cheap drugs.

This system is CRAP because only those with sufficient money receive the full medical cover and many of the poorest sections of society are left with little or no cover. There are 2 systems in place that cover old age and the poorest sections of society Medicare and Medicade , but both require the person to apply for them and make them jump through many hoops to obtain cover and coverage mostly only provides the basic cover and little choice in service supplier. Preventative medicine is not practiced to ensure the nation's overall health  
Children's dental health and eyesight needs are not covered as well.  
Many citizens continue to work after retirement as it is the only way health cover can continue.

You read my piece.
You can lift up writings from google
I know what I'm saying
In health centers all across the USA (every city has at least 3)
A complete physical exam costs only $20 or less
and you don't even have to have any legal papers.
Yes you heard me right and if you don't have the $20 they'll still see you
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:15pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

quote me on this

So anyone without coverage can walk in for a routine health check up,like in the UK, and you guys will simply allow him or do you have to wait for manifestation of illness? Abi,you guys don't believe in "prevention is better than cure"?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 10:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
See this island pple making noise. grin
Wait until the Saudis cover ur tiny strip with mosques.

4 Play:

As for those talking of crime.The US has 3 times the murder rate of the UK. A woman is at least 6 times more likely to be raped in the US than in the UK. . . .are people in the US that Hot? The US also has higher levels of sexual assault.

Population-wise the US is 5 times larger than the UK so this is expected. Its just like gloating over a fact that a family of 9 have less to eat than a family of 2.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by jidex89200(m): 10:17pm On Apr 02, 2008
I have been to the two countries before and i currently stay in the United states. Personally and from experience, i will say that the United States is better. England is really expensive.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by danity: 10:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
rite2salas:

UK is dull Socially all they have is punk and wild musics
US is better economically, chk wikipedia grin
do u want me to continue?
Ah ahn! Can you explain the dropping rates of the US dollar. It's even lower than the CANADIAN dollar y'all. That's really sad but I think I'll leave you all to handle this. When I'm older, if i have to choose btw the UK and the US, I'll leave this Sodom(US) and go to that Gomorah (UK)
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 10:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
@ Nwando,

U think i will buy that liner?  . . . NO AMERICAN CAN BE DENIED CARE AT ANY PUBLIC HEALTH FACILTY USUALLY CALLED COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS FOR FAILURE TO PAY. . . . .

While they might not be denied public health facillity, they will NOT BE DISCHARGED UNLESS they pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many people are chained to their sickbeds for failure to pay their medical bills.
Lets call a spade a spade here and move on.
The quality of life here in the UK is top draw. . . . . loads better than what u think u've got.

@ Almondjoy,

Leave Iraq war out of here. . . . .That's political.
It was a collective responsibility of the developed nations to fight terrorism. grin grin grin

@ Danity,

Pls tell em. . . . . .
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
4Him:

Population-wise the US is 5 times larger than the UK so this is expected. Its just like gloating over a fact that a family of 9 have less to eat than a family of 2.

Crime rate is determined per head.

Is what I'm posting news to you? You people are in darkness over there sha grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 02, 2008
where do you think I take my parents for physicals when they visit? lipsrsealed
It only costs $20 too.
People like to say things they pull from the internet.

4 Play:

So anyone without coverage can walk in for a routine health check up,like in the UK, and you guys will simply allow him or do you have to wait for manifestation of illness? Abi,you guys don't believe in "prevention is better than cure"?

In a health center yes!.
The prices may vary because of location.
One I took my aunt to in Maryland cost us $15 and she did everything including pap smear sef.
Annual check up o
you just have to go to a community health program.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 02, 2008
4 Play:

yes, its called paying your bills by yourself after the check up. and to get physical examination or to get your shots or to go to the doc, you dnt need healthcare insurance to enter, you need it to lessen the bills
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 02, 2008
4 Play:

Crime rate is determined per head.

Is what I'm posting news to you? You people are in darkness over there sha grin

Just wondering why you're busy finding out info on USA to compare it to UK, then come here bleating and crying over what info you got out of it undecided
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by eldee(m): 10:21pm On Apr 02, 2008
Are u saying u don't know an average american is dumb?
Ask em where Nigeria is  and most of em will tell u its in Europe.
Most of em don't even know there's an anutha country apart from the USA
oi, you stole that off my keyboard, even CNN knows grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ybqfPJ61Y

My dayz, swear that's even worse than naija.
In the London there's at least two in every postcode.
Why do you think Obama's focusing on that part for his campaign?
Think of a place like QB where there's a concentration of below-middle class pips.
THEY WONT BE DENIED, THEY'LL JUST NOT LIVE TILL THE END OF THE WAITING LIST
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 02, 2008
The Jackal:

@ Nwando,

You think i will buy that liner?  . . . NO AMERICAN CAN BE DENIED CARE AT ANY PUBLIC HEALTH FACILTY USUALLY CALLED COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS FOR FAILURE TO PAY. . . . .

While they might not be denied public health facillity, they will NOT BE DISCHARGED UNLESS they pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many people are chained to their sickbeds for failure to pay their medical bills.
Lets call a spade a spade here and move on.
The quality of life here in the UK is top draw. . . . . loads better than what u think u've got.

You can doubt me all you want.

Health centers have no beds.
They are day  clinics
If you're sick enough to be admitted,you'll be taken to a hospital and treated but you'll be sent a bill.
No they don't chain you to a bed LOL
They want you gone ASAP
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
eldee:

oi, you stole that off my keyboard, even CNN knows grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ybqfPJ61Y

My dayz, swear that's even worse than naija.
In the London there's at least two in every postcode.
Why do you think Obama's focusing on that part for his campaign?
Think of a place like QB where there's a concentration of below-middle class pips.
THEY WONT BE DENIED, THEY'LL JUST NOT LIVE TILL THE END OF THE WAITING LIST

i guess you're one of them anti-US. undecided
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by rikkyjen(m): 10:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
4play/Jackal

True, BabyOsisi/Nwado/osisi is Correct. In Community Health Hospitals, you can't be turned down, insurance or no insurance. Even if your bill racks up to thousands of dollars, the hospital and you would schedule a payment (bi-weekly, monthly and the amount you want to be paying every month). and if it takes your ass decades to pay up, so shall it be! but turned down?Nah

Actually, i get miffed by the drivel that People are turned down n an hospital for lack of insurance, thats a clever attempt at Sophistry. Turned down? Abeg na lie!  tongue tongue

No doubt, the Insurance issue is a problem in the US, but i would prefer that to the  bloated and less effective "Free, awoof" healthcare the UK system offers. Nothing like Free healthcare in this world!!! If you want free stuff as the UK system proposes, prepare to get your paychecks garnished at an alarming rate, while you deal with the malpractices and excess baggages that comes with the so called "free healthcare"
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
nwando:

In a health center yes!.
The prices may vary because of location.
One I took my aunt to in Maryland cost us $15 and she did everything including pap smear sef.
Annual check up o
you just have to go to a community health program.

Nwando,I dey talk of free healthcare,you dey talk "prices may vary because of location" like one of those dodgy ads grin You know those ones they promise you heaven and earth and then at the bottom in small print they will write,"prices may vary because of location grin

I'm happy to hear that an uncovered person can walk into any healthcare centre in the US and get an MRI Scan for $15 or thereabout. . . . . .never knew that.

In the UK,its free,that is why Barack is winning votes with healthcare issues.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 10:27pm On Apr 02, 2008
@ Eldee,

You came late, bro!!!!!
I have been killing these pretenders all night.
They think they can mask their inadequacies. . . .

Here is anutha shot. . . .

If you are a working woman in the UK and you get pregnant, you will be given maternity leave benefits by the government.
If you are in the US, you will not receive anything unless your employer decides to pay you.
There is no mandated maternity pay though, so your employer may just as easily not give you anything.
How is this different from Nigeria or Somalia? grin cheesy grin :

I'm tired of the US thinking its better than everybody else, because in fact it is much worse in terms of treatment of women and homosexuals and blacks and hispanics, well basically if you're a white male in the US you're golden but that's where the buck stops.
Is it not the same country that still practises the DEATH PENALTY?
There have been 1079 executions in the United States in the last 30 odd years. It was a staggering 53 executions in 2006.

Does this country really appreciate the Human Rights Act?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Neoteny(m): 10:29pm On Apr 02, 2008
we like the brits for the infamous stiff upper lip and tepid tea, we like americans for their dramatic violence and poor health system and acidic mocha.

both suck.

now if only you said FRANCE-
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:31pm On Apr 02, 2008
@rikkyjen

Like I said before,there is private healthcare in the UK.My parents use that however,the free option remains for poor people like me.This one you dey talk of bill for thousands of dollars,no wonder some poor people are often detered from seeking help until its too late.

If you are very poor in the UK,which is the category of people we are talking of,your income taxes are low(10%) or non-existent and you still have free healthcare on top of that.In the US,you are worried about "thousands of dollars" in hospital debt on top
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by danity: 10:32pm On Apr 02, 2008
Neoteny:

we like the brits for the infamous stiff upper lip and tepid tea, we like americans for their dramatic violence and poor health system and acidic mocha.

both suck.

now if only you said FRANCE-
No No NO - please do not even mention France.
France is no where close to any of these countries.
In fact, now that you mentioned France, I think I appreciate my US. Thank you! smiley
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 10:34pm On Apr 02, 2008
morenike09:

Just wondering why you're busy finding out info on USA to compare it to UK, then come here bleating and crying over what info you got out of it undecided

Is it vexing you that you are far more likely to be raped(some stats going back 4 decades put it at multiples of 17 compared to the UK)in that 'paradise' you call the US than in anywhere in the Western world? Are you annoyed that you are far more likely to murdered or sexually assaulted ?Blame the "civilised" men you seem to have in abundance there.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by rikkyjen(m): 10:35pm On Apr 02, 2008
The Jackal:

@ Eldee,

You came late, bro!!!!!
I have been killing these pretenders all night.
They think they can mask their inadequacies. . . .

Here is anutha shot. . . .

If you are a working woman in the UK and you get pregnant, you will be given maternity leave benefits by the government.
If you are in the US, you will not receive anything unless your employer decides to pay you.
There is no mandated maternity pay though, so your employer may just as easily not give you anything.

How is this different from Nigeria or Somalia? grin cheesy grin cheesy

Son, you came back and all of a sudden, you are spewing balderdash grin grin grin.

Who told you there are no benefits for pregnant workers in the USA. Have you heard anything about the Family and Medical leave Act? Do you know that was one of the first bills Billy "the headlover" Clinton, signed to law and thats 1993. Jeez, son you dey vex me oooo. You and 4play should stop this distortion! grin grin grin grin grin.

The law doesn't only give them Preggy women benefit, it guarantees their position in the company.
NB: The Maternity leave pay is guaranteed, not optional or employee by employee basis. Its only if the women in question dont know their right!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Ajebota(f): 10:35pm On Apr 02, 2008
What I love about the U.K is number 1 the FASHION, number 2 the CULTURE (museums, architecture, quaintness, theatre, etc). But it is for rich people or very poor people only. Its for the 'haute monde' or the bone lazy people on benefit in the housing estates. The average working Londoner is miserable and pays too much in tax.

The U.S on the other hand is fantastic for 1) FOOD 2) CHEAP SHOPPING 3)LADIES SHOES in bigger sizes 4) FUN LOVING PEOPLE 5)BIGGER EVRYTHING (houses, cars, ,roads etc). America is a country for the hard-working and ambitious individual. It is not a poor man's country. Aint no such thing as benefit like in the U.K. Here the sky is the limit.

I would live in either country for a long time. Would love to have houses in both but for me Naij is the place to be cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (25)

Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board / 5 Countries That Don't Want You To Visit Them (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.