Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,566 members, 7,770,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:02 AM

Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent (17506 Views)

2016 Budget Fails To Cover N41bn Hole In FG Retirees Pensions / Names Of Ministerial Nominees In The Second Batch / Akingbola Petitions Agf Over N41bn Fraud At Intercontinental ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by coolzeal(m): 6:34pm On Mar 22, 2013
There's so much money in this country, am coming back to explore the opportunities and contribute more to the economy.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Johnnoo(m): 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2013
I don't believe this stats!!!
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Metallurgist: 6:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
BREAKING NEWS!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!! CHINUE ACHEBE IS DEAd
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Johnnoo(m): 6:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
coolzeal: There's so much money in this country, am coming back to explore the opportunities and contribute more to the economy.

Do it with wisdom else "they" would frustrate you
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by sbeezy8: 6:40pm On Mar 22, 2013
whether people like it or not naija is changing
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by theripper: 6:42pm On Mar 22, 2013
Like my rich Dipsomaniac friends would say

" Na person wey no get money dey say beer and champagne dey bitter"

In Kanye West's words-----" and pray that all the PAIN b CHAMPAGne"
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by rill: 6:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
Na bois wrk b dis O. #Nw singin pop something by Dprince
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by obowunmi(m): 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
Johnnoo:

Do it with wisdom else "they" would frustrate you

else they kidnap you
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Abrantie: 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2013
Simply because Nigerians love to show off. The average Nigerian is broke but would spend his last Naira on big suits or outfits, drinks and flex to impress.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
only 600,000 bottles of champagne a year consumed in naija ? geezzzz. ok lets do the figures. 180 million people in naija. if each of the 180 million quaffed one a year that will be 180 million champagnes. however there is only 600,000 quaffed so that means 300 people in nigeria shared a bottle of champagne in one year. so kini big deal ? i quaffed about 100 bottles of red wine in a single year all by my lonesome grin grin grin yeah i know. i am an alcoholic grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by innocentmartini: 7:10pm On Mar 22, 2013
NO MARTINI,NO PARTY. Awesome champagne. (Martini Rose)
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 7:25pm On Mar 22, 2013
seunfly: See our leaders stole the nation dry and can't even think of better ways to spend it other than to buy houses everywhere in the world, private jet, buy useless and senseless things and worst things is that they drink the finest european champagne when average hard working and honest citizen is strugling to feed himself.

do you think the market is for average citizen?
Go to 25 state in the federation and sample how many peaple can afford to drink chivita juice let alone champagne.

Obviously its not a market for the average citizen.... An average citizen in any part of the world can't pop a crystal on the go at any time ....and a huge amount of people can drink chivita juice, those who choose not to just realize that they can prolly get another cheaper drink or sth else thats worth the money. You should understand.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
Nigeria...biggest market, biggest consumers, biggest importers.

But biggest innovators, biggest manufacturers, biggest inventors?

Oh hell naw!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by pat077: 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
jackbauersballs: I will still pop some bottles this very night.

Iyalaya anybody cool
u can pop as many chelsea dry gin as u want. Notin do u!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by purplebrown: 7:54pm On Mar 22, 2013
sheyie2007: Good news for South african wine dealers
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by mrofficial2(m): 7:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
Na we ooo. Make I go chill for club with one Remy Martin Cognac this night jare. #TGIF thinz.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by merengue: 8:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
Godogwu:

Obviously its not a market for the average citizen.... An average citizen in any part of the world can't pop a crystal on the go at any time ....and a huge amount of people can drink chivita juice, those who choose not to just realize that they can prolly get another cheaper drink or sth else thats worth the money. You should understand.

God be praised!!!!! So Godogwu can get his point across in this matured manner, bros shake my hand.

Back to topic; the statistics are actually true, if in doubt visit a club tonight and see first hand. When every Nigerian musician makes it a point of duty to do free adverts for these labels like Hennessy, Moet, Nuvo, Dom Perignon and co, why won't they sell? Do you think Hennessy has established an official presence in Nigeria and are sponsoring so many events like Hennessy Artistry for fun; they realize the potential to make a killing in Naija. We as Nigerians would rather pop a bottle or two of Hennessy today (and drink garri tomorrow, beg or starve) rather than be regarded as stingy, broke or poor people (all in a bid to impress the female folk and lord it over other men).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rossikk: I thought they said 80% of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day?

Just goes to show the dubious nature of 'World Bank statistics'.
stop being ignorant. I've been at a wedding where the back of the hilux was loaded to the roof with champagne and assorted spirit.

The nigerians living in the top five percent are able to solely make consumption this high.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by IGBOSON1: 8:23pm On Mar 22, 2013
I'm not surprised that the Nigerian nouveau riche like quaffing champagne like it's going out of fashion.....it's clearly evident in their ever expanding waistlines!

We've always been known to take any fad and do it to death haven't we?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 8:23pm On Mar 22, 2013
merengue:

God be praised!!!!! So Godogwu can get his point across in this matured manner, bros shake my hand.

Back to topic; the statistics are actually true, if in doubt visit a club tonight and see first hand. When every Nigerian musician makes it a point of duty to do free adverts for these labels like Hennessy, Moet, Nuvo, Dom Perignon and co, why won't they sell? Do you think Hennessy has established an official presence in Nigeria and are sponsoring so many events like Hennessy Artistry for fun; they realize the potential to make a killing in Naija. We as Nigerians would rather pop a bottle or two of Hennessy today (and drink garri tomorrow, beg or starve) rather than be regarded as stingy, broke or poor people (all in a bid to impress the female folk and lord it over other men).

Well true.... I absolutely agree with you but I'd like to add that a majority of the "well employed" youths (i.e engineers, accountants, IT technicians etc) whose thoughts are like "I have a good job, live in a nice apt, drive a nice sedan, have no kids/ responsibility so I'll spoil my self a whole"... These people can actually afford most if not all of these drinks. Like! It's youth, its fun, I'm not disregarding the fact that some people's yearly income can't get them 2 bottles of crystal or Ace, but hey that's life..... Everyone can't really enjoy thesame thing and yes I always try to put across my points in a mild and mature manner, if you take it offensive, I'm sorry.... But I can't really be bothered.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Godogwu: 8:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
blink182: stop being ignorant. I've been at a wedding where the back of the hilux was loaded to the roof with champagne and assorted spirit.

The nigerians living in the top five percent are able to solely make consumption this high.

Nahh, i don't think so.... What about the young enterprenuers who spend N1m every Friday, or every other Friday at clubs or parties and champagne bottles are everywhere...
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Alleinad(f): 8:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
When we celebrate!!! We dey pop champagne! We dey pop champagne!! Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop something!!
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by mikolo80: 8:32pm On Mar 22, 2013
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by IGBOSON1: 8:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
Two of the most common ways Nigerians pronounce the word 'Champagne' when they want to form:

*Sham-pain
*Cham-pag-neh (which to me is the worse of the two.....and unforgivable)
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by calcal: 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
Thanks to the muslim brothers!
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
Sounds Good To Me.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Ours is indeed a country of many paradoxes.

With an annual drain of 41 billion to external markets, one has to wonder about the amount of patronage going the way of our local champions such as Jacobs Wines
AjanleKoko:

It's not necessarily a paradox. Nigeria is a huge consumer market, that spends a significant amount of its export earnings on importation of consumables. Food (rice), refined fuel, etc. And now champagne. It's not really something to beat our chests about.

In layman terms, Nigeria is like a yuppie that earns a very good wage, but spends a large chunk of it on five-star meals, and other consumables. With no significant assets to show for the huge wages. undecided

You know, the arrogance of some of you is just stunning. Here you are, probably a drinker yourself, casually equating a Nigerian's consumption of alchohol to ''a yuppie that blah blah blah no significant assets to show for it''... rubbish.

How do you know what those who like champagne invested their money on?

What makes you think that because they drink champagne, they have no investments? You just think you can insult people just because they're Nigerians? Better watch yourself.
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rossikk: I thought they said 80% of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day?

Just goes to show the dubious nature of 'World Bank statistics'.
stop being ignorant. I've been at a wedding where the back of the hilux was loaded to the roof with champagne and assorted spirit.

Please spare us your ''top 5%'' GARBAGE!!

Why not Top 1/2 percent?

This is how you IDIOTS go around propagating the myth that every Nigerian is starving to death (except you of course). That nobody has anything to eat in his house (except you).

Top 5% my ASSSSS. You need to get out a bit more. Ordinary middle class folks pop champagne and wine when the mood gets them. It is NO BIGGIE. In fact there are MILLIONS of Nigerians who can AFFORD to drink champagne who simply DO NOT fancy it. Take a market woman who spends N200,000 on a new Ashoebi for a wedding. You think she cannot buy 20 bottles of champagne if she wants? There are millions like her, all unaccounted for because they are in the so called ''informal'' economy. That ''INFORMAL'' economy is BURSTING with BILLIONS OF DOLLARS of disposable income for your information. Nigeria's GDP is $400 billion per year. A hefty chunk of that change is firmly situated in the informal economy where everyone is supposed to live on ''less than a dollar a day'', an abiding urban myth perpetuated by ignorants, semi-literates and disinformation merchants alike.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 22, 2013
Nuzo':
Oyibos drink chanpange when they are celebrating special occasions.

Nigerians drink it for fun and bigboyism.
You're talking absolute rubbish. You need to travel out of the country and visit pubs, bars and clubs to see how much champagne, wine and cocktails westerners consume on a daily basis. You think Nigerians drink? Go to the UK and France and see people drinking.

Some of you are so misinformed about white people. You think like slaves. Whites are saints and Nigerians are devils. Shame on you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Akiika: 9:14pm On Mar 22, 2013
obowunmi: Diabetes, cancer, and kidney failure are killing loads of Nigerians. Drink at your own risk in that HEAT. wink wink
After dem come die finish, dem go say na their step-mother kill them with her witchcraft. Awon ode buruku!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by Sike(m): 9:16pm On Mar 22, 2013
Oya let's Pop Champagne!!
Re: Nigeria Is The Second Fastest Market For Champagne - N41bn Spent by dokunbam(m): 9:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop
something

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corruption At A Voter Registration Centre In Abuja: My Experience / Kano Police Command Arrests Members Of Boko Haram Group / APC, PDP Pick Governorship Candidates Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.