Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41752 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 4:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
matrixme: I quite agree with the topic on this one. Achebe is not a progressive, rather a great literary icon.

Where is the Achebe Library or grant for young African writers of today? Where is the Chinua Achebe foundation for Peace and Reconciliation or HIV/AIDS research? Don't Nigeria or the Igbo people have enough vices on their own that he could have use his positive, prominent attention to confront?

Yes he excelled in Literature, yet probably the only person he may have mentored is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I don't think the literary chair is the best place to change the world positively. You either get up and start a revolution or take the Mother Theresa approach. Perhaps, Wole Soyinka understands this now.

100000 likes

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by udezue(m): 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
Achebe will be buried in Igbo land . Nobody told you where to bury that bloody bastarddd Awolowo so please don't tell where to bury our own. You all can go to hell
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 4:44pm On Mar 25, 2013
matrixme:
I quite agree with the topic on this one. Achebe is not a progressive, rather a great literary icon.

Where is the Achebe Library or grant for young African writers of today? Where is the Chinua Achebe foundation for Peace and Reconciliation or HIV/AIDS research? Don't Nigeria or the Igbo people have enough vices on their own that he could have use his positive, prominent attention to confront?

Yes he excelled in Literature, yet probably the only person he may have mentored is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I don't think the literary chair is the best place to change the world positively. You either get up and start a revolution or take the Mother Theresa approach. Perhaps, Wole Soyinka understands this now.

I wonder if you understood the meaning of word – progressive. With no pun intended, I must say your post reeks of ignorance. You are one of many Nigerians who think that alms giving by rogue politicians is progressive. What a misplaced priority. Every revolution known to mankind has started through the power of pen, olodo.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by FSU: 5:09pm On Mar 25, 2013
Achebe has done quite his bit in the Nigerian society

1. Like any good professor would do, he taught responsibly and qualitatively in Nigerian university(s), and contributing in training a new crop of Nigerians after him

2. He wrote novels which helped bring Nigeria to the limelight

3. He wrote novels which entertained Nigerians

4. He was the founding father of the African Writers Series

5. He had on many occasions lent his voice on the complaints about the bad leadership Nigeria has been saddled with in the past and present, even rejecting National Honors (2 x) that most Nigerians would be very very glad to accept.

That being said, I am not sure what else anyone would want him to do. Achebe was not a Nigerian public political figure. He has had no executive, legislative or judicial say in govt, except for his brief stint as Biafran representative and that was Biafra, not Nigeria.

The same question can be asked of Soyinka, JP CLarke and other literary giants in Nigeria: what did they do for Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by FSU: 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
ROSSIKE: ^^I actually sympathize a bit with your sentiments. I think Achebe was a bit too much of a pessimist where it concerned modern Nigeria. He failed to understand that developing nations, especially complex ones like Nigeria, need time to develop the institutions and even the culture required to create and sustain advanced societies. He had this naive idea that straight off from independence, we should have been on a one way trajectory to being the new Japan or USA, forgetting that those nations had several centuries of independence before getting where there are. Africans are not superhumans. The colonialists left us without a single proper university on the entire black continent right up till 1960 when they left (apart from in SA). How does such a continent develop into a world class place in a decade or two as Achebe was expecting? It was never going to happen. The coups, the corruption, the ineptitude etc were all very predictable growing pains of newly liberated nations that had been bastardized for centuries by rapacious, unscrupulous foreigners. We've actually come a long way if you look at it objectively. We've brought mass education to our people, which was denied us by the colonialists. We've built some notable infrastructure, and our economies are growing from strength to strength. So we're not standing still. Shame Achebe never found it in him to acknowledge that progress.. But we still honour him for his great works of literary genius which brought glory, international respect and honour to his fatherland and to the continent. His place is assured in the annals of great African heroes.

Is Soyinka a pessimist or optimist regarding the Nigerian project? Note that nothing else can be taken away from him.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by drnoel: 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
yes he did, he wrote his most controversial book "there was a country".
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bestview: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Ile:

Funny enough, SW is not only the most peaceful and prosperous region in Nigeria, its where millions of your people call home and earn their daily bread far far away from their violent towns and villages where they get kidnapped, slaughtered and thrown in some osu river.

Dude, this is your sad reality and good news for the millions far and safe all over Yorubaland.

I know you people like to beat chest unnecessarily, but underneath your chest, its all empty and shallow because we are all Nigerians and we know all about your villages.

Abeg keep quiet and to drink some pure water...

See this azz hole amala infested local champ. Fyi the least town in the SE is far more advanced and developed than all the towns in SW with the exception of lagos which is former capital of Nigeria and was developed by Igbos and Hausas.

Its only in the SW that one will still see mud houses in the state capital from abeokuta to ibadam to akure. The most unlivable part of Nigeria is SW

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by thelonestranger: 8:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
bestview:

See this azz hole amala infested local champ. Fyi the least town in the SE is far more advanced and developed than all the towns in SW with the exception of lagos which is former capital of Nigeria and was developed by Igbos and Hausas.

Its only in the SW that one will still see mud houses in the state capital from abeokuta to ibadam to akure. The most unlivable part of Nigeria is SW

LOL. I go die with laughter o. Walahi this man go kill me today.LOL

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7lives: 11:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
7842I:

Your messed up life is sweet to you, just like diya, thats why you ran away from the north and diya cried like a baby.

Yes you are right, i ran back to my home, home sweet home, unlike your folks who don't even have a home again. JUST LIKE IT WAS DONE FOR THE STATE OF ISRAEL, NIGERIANS NEED TO BEG THE UNITED NATIONS TO COME AND CREATE A HOMELAND IN IGBOLAND, AND BUILD A GREAT WALL OF CHINA OR SHOULD I SAY AN ELECTRIC BARBED WIRE AROUND THIS HOMELAND TO PREVENT IGBOS FROM ESCAPING TO CONSTITUTE THEMSELVES INTO NUISANCE IN OTHER PARTS OF NIGERIA. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 4chi: 12:04am On Mar 26, 2013
bongila:
Of all the dumb comments on this hatefilled thread,yours is the dumbest.You were obviously high on dry plantain leaves when you typed this!Idiota!

Bongila of the smelly poosie, everybody dey talk you sef join, is it break time from your ashawo job?
Yes, i said it again, Awolowo at his ingenious best took the most pragmatic decision to deal with your stubborn fadas. Even the £20 shouldn't have been given to your broke a.rse forebears.you are a conquered tribe.live with it or jump and join your brethren in the ezu river! Mind you, the same scenario will repeat itself it you try any nzogbu,nzogbu nonsense again. Your last dance was reggae, this time around y'all be dancing Makossa!! Anuofia mongrels ....

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ROYALD(m): 1:44am On Mar 26, 2013
Mr. Globe:

you've clearly resorted to smoking your feaces. Yoruba are the punching bag of the north. you have been taking your time for thy kingdom come.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ROYALD(m): 1:53am On Mar 26, 2013
4chi:

You are absolutely correct on the fact that ashebe is nothing more than a ibo biafran. And that's all to him. So let the ibo biafran carry his crippled corpse and bury him in the evil forest like okonkwo his grandfather.

You are also absolutely correct that he doesn't owe yorubas any farthen, just like Awo did not owe biafrans any farthen by taking the most pragmatic decisions to end the Nigerian civil war quickly and bring your silly little republic to it's knees. One wonders then why ashebe was so bitter about that? I am sure he would do worse if he had the chance considering the volume of bitterness in his patently deranged psyche.

An idiiiiiidiot 4chi, read Prof Achebe lived a Satisfied or happy because he fully developed his abilities with pen.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Madawaki01(m): 6:13am On Mar 26, 2013
4chi:

Bongila of the smelly poosie, everybody dey talk you sef join, is it break time from your ashawo job?
Yes, i said it again, Awolowo at his ingenious best took the most pragmatic decision to deal with your stubborn fadas. Even the £20 shouldn't have been given to your broke a.rse forebears.you are a conquered tribe.live with it or jump and join your brethren in the ezu river! Mind you, the same scenario will repeat itself it you try any nzogbu,nzogbu nonsense again. Your last dance was reggae, this time around y'all be dancing Makossa!! Anuofia mongrels ....
yeepa.....lmao
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Madawaki01(m): 6:13am On Mar 26, 2013
4chi:

yeepa.......lmao

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2013
Dede1:

I wonder if you understood the meaning of word – progressive. With no pun intended, I must say your post reeks of ignorance. You are one of many Nigerians who think that alms giving by rogue politicians is progressive. What a misplaced priority. Every revolution known to mankind has started through the power of pen, olodo.
Dear sir, apart from the Lutheran Church revolution, can you give five more instances where revolution was started by a pen so as to get us enlightened? I also don't think you understood that part about 'doing humanity some good' very well. Thanks
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by zebudaya(m): 10:23am On Mar 26, 2013
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by olufunmibi(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
matrixme wrote: I quite agree with the topic on this one. Achebe is not a progressive, rather a great literary icon.

Matrixme is a GENIUS

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 1:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
WOW! WOW!! And WOW!!!, if insults could kill, I'd sure be stone cold dead by now, I knew I was going to get lots of insult for creating this topic, but I did'nt know the insults where going to be this much, thanks to everybody who has contributed one way or another to this topic, and from the comments I've seen here, it's obvious no ibo man should hold any political post in Nigeria, cos they all hate this entity called Nigeria, and they will do what ever it takes to see this country fail, and all thanks to chinua achebe, when I created this topic I had questions on my mind, but now the questions have been answered, and by the way I'm not from the west, I am from the south, the ibos have a lot in common with the jews, a lot, no wonder they claim to be descendants of the jews, the ibos practice the highest form of BIGOTRY,

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 1:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
^^^^^

What state are you from because these bigots think you are yoruba.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 1:30pm On Mar 26, 2013
alj harem: ^^^^^

I'm from Delta state my good man, honestly I never expected the answers I got from these ibo people, why are they so full of hatred?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 26, 2013
alj harem: ^^^^^

Is it not a matter of deliberate idiocy to arrogate to oneself the knowledge of what another mere mortal thinks?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 1:51pm On Mar 26, 2013
bolaino: I'm from Delta state my good man, honestly I never expected the answers I got from these ibo people, why are they so full of hatred?

Very good, I am glad you are neither yoruba or hausa but a neutral that see some of the things I see.

I love the way you gave achebe his respect because he was still a great writer and no one can take that from him, however you have hit the nail on the head with great accuracy.

Thanks man but some of us cannot open such a topic without being labeled yoruba, hausa etc

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 1:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
Dede1:

Is it not a matter of deliberate idiocy to arrogate to oneself the knowledge of what another mere mortal thinks?

Dede, you are never honest with your assertions. The question is simple and does not require any defensive insult.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 1:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
bolaino: I'm from Delta state my good man, honestly I never expected the answers I got from these ibo people, why are they so full of hatred?

On the 34th page of the thread you started, you are still ashamed of the ethnic identity of your forbearers. I must say that such single act speaks volumes about a character of person you really are, olodo.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 2:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
alj harem:

Dede, you are never honest with your assertions. The question is simple and does not require any defensive insult.

alj

What type of honesty do you expect from a simple poser? You owned the statement that insulted certain people by calling them bigots hence my question. I know respect begets respect.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 4words: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
chinua achebe is dead yet still causing controversies. Hmmm what a man, even in is death.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mainman7(m): 3:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
udezue: Achebe will be buried in Igbo land . Nobody told you where to bury that bloody bastarddd Awolowo so please don't tell where to bury our own. You all can go to hell
[b]Senseless Scalawag, u better bury him in pit toilet. igbos rather flatter themselves and falsely use mouth to spoil others' image. igbo unity is FAKE! they kill themselves for money with ease. Unlike igbos, Yorubas know that LIFE is more than money. Cynthia, that beautiful girl was severally raped and killed by 4 igbos for money. This year alone so many ritual killings in igbo land, (read news papers)38 people were killed and dumped in a Ezu River in Anambra, 12 toddlers were killed in another...several unresolved killings for money in igbo land, what a people. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b]

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mainman7(m): 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
4words: chinua achebe is dead yet still causing controversies. Hmmm what a man, even in is death.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin Ol' Boy U fit kill person with laughter O! Indeed, he's obviously a very useless man, rather than bring unity, he caused more bad blood and sowed an evil seed, indeed a wolf in a sheep's clothing. He made Afenifere, OPC, Yoruba Youth Congress and all Yoruba federation world-wide to come together and really start preparing like never before. Before achebe's comment, the Yorubas were almost totally trusting the igbos. The myopic achebe blamed Awo for a war that would not have happened at all if the igbos were not overtly selfish.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mainman7(m): 4:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
gbaky_floor:

You see if any body is write something negative about Nnamdi Azikiwe- Most Igbos won't bat an eye lid because they have no atom of respect for Azikiwe. He is 'not regarded as a man of the people' by Igbos.
it is yorubas and northerners that admire him

Igbos know Azikiwe is corrupt, why else did he support Nigeria during the civil war? He was as corrupt as Nigerian leaders then and now. If you had a grasp of Igbo history you would know that we have little/no regard for Zik
You are the 1st and Honest igbo I know. igbos rather flatter themselves and falsely use mouth to spoil others' image. igbo unity is FAKE! they kill themselves for money with ease. Unlike igbos, Yorubas know that LIFE is more than money. Cynthia, that beautiful girl was severally raped and killed by 4 igbos for money. This year alone so many ritual killings in igbo land, (read news papers)38 people were killed and dumped in a Ezu River in Anambra, 12 toddlers were killed in another...several unresolved killings for money in igbo land, what a people. igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos r always wise in their own eyes and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 4:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
Dede1:

On the 34th page of the thread you started, you are still ashamed of the ethnic identity of your forbearers. I must say that such single act speaks volumes about a character of person you really are, olodo.
must u resort to insults MR? Well, it's obvious you are'nt learned cos this is one of the traits of an illiterate ibo boy, u mukunu being,
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ofemmanus, we are used to u. U have not said anything new and this is d 34th page, d same old rantings.
Infact, we would have been surprised if u open ur oily mouths to praise good tnz.
D soyinka u ppl are talking abt, wat did he do for Nig? And dnt tell me abt those dumb placards he carries abt? And how have those placards transformed nigeria to small london?
Was it not Achebe that wrote 'the trouble with Nigeria?' dat book said it all. Did u listen to his speech on y he rejected national awards? He wrote directly to each president that bothered to give him an award stating wat dey shd do. For Nig. Not placard dat am not sure the president will even see.
Sb mentioned Soyinka was once jailed for activism, i tell ya, if anybody had attempted to try dat on Sacred Achebe, even the U.S will put that person in their terrorist list.
Nobel or not, Achebe is the father of African literature according to the whites.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
ngozievergreen: Ofemmanus, we are used to u. U have not said anything new and this is d 34th page, d same old rantings.
Infact, we would have been surprised if u open ur oily mouths to praise good tnz.
D soyinka u ppl are talking abt, wat did he do for Nig? And dnt tell me abt those dumb placards he carries abt? And how have those placards transformed nigeria to small london?
Was it not Achebe that wrote 'the trouble with Nigeria?' dat book said it all. Did u listen to his speech on y he rejected national awards? He wrote directly to each president that bothered to give him an award stating wat dey shd do. For Nig. Not placard dat am not sure the president will even see.
Sb mentioned Soyinka was once jailed for activism, i tell ya, if anybody had attempted to try dat on Sacred Achebe, even the U.S will put that person in their terrorist list.
Nobel or not, Achebe is the father of African literature according to the whites.
My dumb girlfriend, must you try to put soyinka down to elevate achebe? Grow up ngozie, abi u still dey secondary school?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

President Jonathan At RCCG Camp Today Meets APC VP Prof Osbanjo(photos) / Okorocha Outshines Ihedioha At PDP Campaign Rally In Imo / See People Rocking Febuhari T-shirt - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.