Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41686 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:35am On Mar 25, 2013
ndiofeajoka: ^^
Zik was a saint compared to your theif grandfather or should I say grandfather of grandtheft the great awoloshi.

GBAM!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 12:41am On Mar 25, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:
Back to the thread......Africans are always praising tribal warlords, why?

Achebe reminds me of the geeky version of Kony.

The man prolly supported the forced child soldiers of Biafra.

Oh dear....

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bushwailo: 1:07am On Mar 25, 2013
Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? ?

This topic is for Low IQ people!
Chai ! I'm outta here !

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 1:19am On Mar 25, 2013
Bobandgreat: [color=#000099][/color]

And what have u been able to defend. Postpone the doomsday. U will die a tribalist then. Mind u the plateau state u mentioned now are healing their wounds after resisting Islamisation by Hausa/Fulani. U pple can only postpone the doomsday but believe me it will come. Continue romancing with ur Masters.

Funny enough, SW is not only the most peaceful and prosperous region in Nigeria, its where millions of your people call home and earn their daily bread far far away from their violent towns and villages where they get kidnapped, slaughtered and thrown in some osu river.

Dude, this is your sad reality and good news for the millions far and safe all over Yorubaland.

I know you people like to beat chest unnecessarily, but underneath your chest, its all empty and shallow because we are all Nigerians and we know all about your villages.

Abeg keep quiet and to drink some pure water...

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by udezue(m): 2:10am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu: The only thing Ashebe promoted in Nigeria was tribalism.

He died a bitter man. He was bitter against everything in life. Bitter against Yoruba, against Awolowo, Against Nobel committee, against Nigeria

His bitterness obviously killed him.

It would have been better if Ashebe died a year ago than now when all his legacy are now tainted with trialism

He would be remembered for being a Bigot

Thats why Soyinka excelled over him anyday

Soyinka, A Yoruba man supported and was jailed for Biafra

Soyinka a Yoruba man supported and was the spokesman for the niger Delta

Soyinka was way ahead of Ashebe in all walks of life

Chinua Achebe died at age 82. Bitch the last time I checked he lived a long purposeful life you slowpoke. He stood up tall and firm for his people the Igbo and the Eastern region. Unlike bastards like you in the West. Wole Soyinka aint complaining so why drag him into this?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ogbuebo(m): 5:21am On Mar 25, 2013
The greatest development is of the mind.Achebe's books stupendously contributed to this worldwide.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mainman7(m): 5:41am On Mar 25, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.

You are very right! And instead of him to use his old age to bring unity, the selfish and senseless igbo nature controlled him, he fanned embers of wickedness. u igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mainman7(m): 5:42am On Mar 25, 2013
[b]You are very right! And instead of him to use his old age to bring unity, the selfish and senseless igbo nature controlled him, he fanned embers of wickedness. u igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 25, 2013
shymexx: However, Fela and Soyinka never wrote a book about how Nnamidi Azikwe was corrupt and how he was the most self-centred pseudo-pan-Africanist ever! Heck, the guy brought corruption and election rigging to Nigeria...

Don't take my words for it - I'll post a TIME Magazine article from the 60s about how Zik was utterly corrupt... Give up, bro. undecided

You see if any body is write something negative about Nnamdi Azikiwe- Most Igbos won't bat an eye lid because they have no atom of respect for Azikiwe. He is 'not regarded as a man of the people' by Igbos.
it is yorubas and northerners that admire him

Igbos know Azikiwe is corrupt, why else did he support Nigeria during the civil war? He was as corrupt as Nigerian leaders then and now. If you had a grasp of Igbo history you would know that we have little/no regard for Zik
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mpumalanga: 7:54am On Mar 25, 2013
vandarsar: They can continue it for all I care, we all have a hero or heroine, asheebee would never be mine.

But for a society so devoid of role model like South Africa, I think you are right to choose a bigot as a role model.
I valued the words and power of musics of Lucky Philip Dube who you lots murder in cold blood than the pen of Asheebee.

Now don't come telling me Zuma is a hero, you and I know who he is!!!

Now, vamoose into an mpumalanga's forest you bigot

At least,you story can be excused because the whole world knows that your kinds are inherently,incapable of knowing
heroes but will rather make up with false equivalent just to brag about having one.

Gloat and praise your so called role models but people of good will knows the attributes that separates them from
Achebe, Zuma and others.

I pity you for wasting your energy because your tiny, inconsequential opinion can not diminish Achebe.

Although,Tortoise will continue to point in a folklore!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by unforgiven: 8:37am On Mar 25, 2013
Our Yansh: Aside poisoning the hearts and minds of the younger generation of a Nation he had no belief in, [size=14pt]he did well as a literary giant[/size]. I also appreciate his stance on issues of governance, corruption and transparency. If only he had kept his bigotry in check, Achebe would have qualified to be a Nigerian hero, but his final shots placed him as an IBO hero.

RIP Prof..

[size=14pt]for the educated, the pen is always mightier than a sword.[/size]
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by peedeeasobie(m): 8:41am On Mar 25, 2013
My Fellow NLers/Nigerians, pls kindly ignore and overlook some few sad and hateful ethnic small minded pple who have refused to see anytn gud in a natinalist like Achebe! Achebe was a hero, a nationalist and a patriot. He loved africa, nigeria and ibo land. He contributed so much to the development of our nation Nigeria. He may not have built roads and bridges but he brought international attention to our country, contributed immensely to the development of literature and arts.
Let us not be carried away by the baseless and unfounded criticisms of a tiny and small minded few, its proof positive the Achebe was truly a Hero. Every gud thn comes with its share of criticism.
No matter how much they try to deride him, the world knows the truth. A few ignorant men cannot know better than the whole world!
My Salute and Respect to the Literature giant, nationalist, elder statesman and hero!
Adieu Chinua Achebe!
(Pls hug d closest transformer in ur location if u dnt like ds post and don't bother to quote me if its to criticize me because I wldnt have tym to waste words with hateful pple- get a life!)

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manuelzz(m): 8:50am On Mar 25, 2013
After reading some of ur writeups i was so shocked and sad at the same time.i never believed that yorobbers will attain this level of stupidity. who is talking about war here?smh!!!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by peedeeasobie(m): 9:55am On Mar 25, 2013
mainman7:

You are very right! And instead of him to use his old age to bring unity, the selfish and senseless igbo nature controlled him, he fanned embers of wickedness. u igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War!

The facts that u went to school and can speak good english don't make u educated or literate. U have a small mind and very hateful! Education is abt accomodation, tolerance, sharing of ideas, constructive criticism and exposition of ur opinions!
All the ethnic sentiments and tribalisms show dat u are 20 years backward even though u have gone to school and speak good english. Even Wole soyinka and other noble yoruba leaders had only glowing tributes for the deceased nationalist, its either u know better than them or u are simply not unteacheable! The whole world praised the nationalist- its either u know better than the rest of the world or u are simply heady!
Keep ur head down, drop ur illiteracy and learn from worthy pple!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Ribaman(m): 10:06am On Mar 25, 2013
mainman7: [b]You are very right! And instead of him to use his old age to bring unity, the selfish and senseless igbo nature controlled him, he fanned embers of wickedness. u igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]

What one earth are you smoking? UNITY is not our problem: lack of national honesty is the problem. Achebe knew that fact, and tried to correct it. Poor man, he never stood a chance

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Madawaki01(m): 10:38am On Mar 25, 2013
He's even to be buried at the US...i just wonder at d foolishness of igbos,wat has he done 4 ur pple...just one contributn
And who said d pulitzer prize is d highest in literature all ova d world..den where is d nobel prize 4 literature

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Pataki: 10:52am On Mar 25, 2013
manuelzz: After reading some of ur writeups i was so shocked and sad at the same time.i never believed that yorobbers will attain this level of stupidity. who is talking about war here?smh!!!

You pathetic IbHOES will just never learn!

Why is your role model not being buried in his homeland in Ogidi or wherever it is in Nigeria?

After all said and done, Ashebe contributed bigotry and tribalism on a nauseating level to Nigeria.

Fullstop!

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 11:16am On Mar 25, 2013
^^^eh? they are burying him in yankee shocked shocked

iro ni o! grin is this confirmed?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 25, 2013
funkybaby: ^^^eh? they are burying him in yankee shocked shocked

iro ni o! grin is this confirmed?

Of course..there is no Biafra...and the man hate Nigeria way too much too much.

So Yankee is it!

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 11:33am On Mar 25, 2013
Riba_man:

What one earth are you smoking? UNITY is not our problem: lack of national honesty is the problem. Achebe knew that fact, and tried to correct it. Poor man, he never stood a chance
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 11:34am On Mar 25, 2013
Riba_man:

He never stood a chance only amongst yorubas the problem with Nigeria
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by thelonestranger: 11:41am On Mar 25, 2013
Could Achebe have made it in today's Nigeria? What has he done to improve prospect of younger Nigerian writers?

https://www.nairaland.com/1235784/could-chinua-achebe-make-it#14918792
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ymomoh: 12:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
@Dede,your mutha is a big fool for carrying you for 9 months...may God GRANT ME the responsibility of physically kicking your ass and slapping your ugly face to refresh your memory...MONKEY!!!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by wehla(m): 12:59pm On Mar 25, 2013
Why is Dede1 always bitter? Hope he wont carry bitterness to his grave like Achebe
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bongila(f): 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2013
4chi:

You are also absolutely correct that he doesn't owe yorubas any farthen, just like Awo did not owe biafrans any farthen by taking the most pragmatic decisions to end the Nigerian civil war quickly and bring your silly little republic to it's knees. One wonders then why ashebe was so bitter about that? I am sure he would do worse if he had the chance considering the volume of bitterness in his patently deranged psyche.
Of all the dumb comments on this hatefilled thread,yours is the dumbest.You were obviously high on dry plantain leaves when you typed this!Idiota!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by amanda2013(f): 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
i dnt knw y u guys are killing urselves here. If u like accept it if u dnt, like dnt accept it. Achebe is a nigerian hero and nt jst nigeria bt africa as a whole. The whole world appreciates ds great hero except d yorubas bt who cares anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by simplygreat(m): 1:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
i believe with a very strong conviction that there are many haters and stupid critics that have never read "THERE WAS A COUNTRY" and just read some verdicts about it and conclude that ACHEBE was planning to destabilise nigeria or destroy it. how many of you here in nairaland have achieved success in ur chosen fields to d point of international recognition and have still gotten the courage to speak truth to power. The truth is dat many people cannot shun national awards as a form of protest as to what is happening in the country. this is because they are made of glass hearts and cant withstand criticism from power or avoid d allures and temptations of dining with d mighty. Achebe shunning d national awards is a great act that a true patriot can only too. if nigeria had been good,i doubt if he would reject that award. ACHEBE CHINUA IS A NATIONAL HERO OF NIGERIA FOR ALL TIME..d truth is that there are many cowards in nigeria especially in nairaland who cant see beyond d veil..i pray that all these tribalism and hatred be wiped out someday and people be recognized by their true worth..i recommend that before ur criticism buy the book THERE WAS A COUNTRY and read for yourself to get a first hand knowledge of d book b4 going to lambast it

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by simplygreat(m): 1:48pm On Mar 25, 2013
bongila:
Of all the dumb comments on this hatefilled thread,yours is the dumbest.You were obviously high on dry plantain leaves when you typed this!Idiota!

on point with u
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by simplygreat(m): 2:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
[quote author=mainman7][b]You are very right! And instead of him to use his old age to bring unity, the selfish and senseless igbo nature controlled him, he fanned embers of wickedness. u igbos are fools,and bloody senseless liars like achebe,twisting history. I don't know any other tribe that is as ungrateful as d igbos. d Thoughtful Yorubas accepts them like brothers yet they rant about us. They are cowards, hausas are slaughtering their brothers like rams in the North, they do nothing.igbos always think they r d wisest and that is why they are fools who think life is only about money.igbos r d Genesis of d problem of dis country,traitors who spared their greedy leaders in January 29,1966 Coup.The civil war would not have happened. Yorubas don't betray, read history, ur useless father azikwe started d betrayal thing when Awolowo helped him to d top and he didn't fulfill his part of their agreement.in d January 1966 igbo coup,Brgd Ademulegun, Col Fajuyi and other Great Youruba Millitary Men were killed, as usual d ever deceitful igbos, against the agreement, told their greedy leaders to skedaddle. igbos must apologize to d Yorubas now!d YORUBAS are already uniting and getting ready for u people.igbos or hausas, what u want is want u shall get from us,Peace or War![/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color][/quot

u suffer from lack of knowledge. but i will help u. FAJUYI was a loyal officer that was hosting his COMMANDER IN CHIEF in Ibadan when the counter coup plotters struck.this was in july 1966 and guess what it was THEOPHILUS DANJUMA that tore their epaulets and had them beaten up. they were tied to d back of their land rover and they were dragged along as the d car moved..they died slow,[ainful and agonising death not at d hand of an IBO man but at d hands of d vengeful hatefilled blind plotters of d july counter coup. Fajuyi according to d history books will always remain a TRUE NIGERIAN REVOLUTIONARY, a true soldier and a loyal nigerian. irespect him for all time for such actions. A man that chose to die with his Superior instead of betraying him or running away. before putting up facts on social sites i advise u get ur data straight as false information smacks of faulty education..The ibos are one of the true tribes that believe in nigeria..for starters who are d people that go any part of d country and erect structures and factories and even employ d local folks..its d ibo man..he takes anywhere he stays as his home and tries his best to develop it as he can..who furnishes a house that he rents and when packing still leaves d permanent furnishings for d landlord even in cases where d landlord doesnt reimburse d tenant. its still d ibo pple. besides who wants to tell me that he or she doesnt like money.everytribe likes money as we need money to take care of life issues, family and necessities. show me a man who says he doesnt need money and i will point out d greatest liar of d century. we should stop pretending, we all need money and d ibo man has a natural entrepreneurial spirit. so wats your stress abt d money thing.its normal i know we hv proved our right to citizenship in this country so this thread only serves to fan up the embers of hatred in d society. if u continue doing it, then u are worse off than d pple who could have stopped d civil war
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrCritique: 2:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
I dont quite get it when people hide under the divide of tribalism and ethnocentricism to point out people's flaws.dear OP if you are looking for what contributions Pa Achebe has made in developing Nigeria look further than your hate for his Biafran memoire.First off, he wrote THINGS FALL APART at age 26, which later became the most widely read fictional novel in the whole of Africa (you can quote me any time and day) that translate that more of the Nigerian(Igbo) culture was known across the continent.as a result of writing prowess Pa Achebe became the editor-in-chief of the African writers series for life from age 56.His works has added to my and many young Nigerians' knowledge of happenings during Biafra.His writings have spurred many more writers within and across the continent.Pa Achebe alongside few African writers were the very first that began the critical appraisal of colonailism on black culture, which has help African know their real identities.etc. so if because he is a quiet man and not an activist(which is not a bad thing)like Pa wole soyinka, then i urge you to shut you mouth cos you know nothing about this lengendary giant. shame on you and others who because he refused two national awards(the same award that was given to people like kanayo .O kanayo, Farida Waziri and many others) think him as an unpatriotic Nigerian.Shame on you for condemning an 82 yr old career that has affected lives for ethnic bigotory.May i ask you OP why do think that a literary giant like Soyinka did not come out to speak evil or criticise his writing on THERE WAS A COUNTRY- if anything, that book was his PERSONAL view on the civil war.So youngman, Pa Achebe does not have to profer solutions to the problems of the country for him to be enlisted as a "patriotic" citizen, in fact all the ones that have been proffered how have they help us.We are a country of elites -we know what to do.I humbly ask you WHAT ARE DOING TO RIGHT HIS WRONGS.Get active.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
I quite agree with the topic on this one. Achebe is not a progressive, rather a great literary icon. This is not a matter of yoruba bigotry because I'd recommend Emeagwali over Achebe, contributing to human progress at any Point in time. J.K Rowling, the British writer of Harry Potter had to loose her billionaire status because she gave so much to positive causes. Where is the Achebe Library or grant for young African writers of today? Where is the Chinua Achebe foundation for Peace and Reconciliation or HIV/AIDS research? Don't Nigeria or the Igbo people have enough vices on their own that he could have use his positive, prominent attention to confront? Yes he excelled in Literature, yet probably the only person he may have mentored is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I don't think the literary chair is the best place to change the world positively. You either get up and start a revolution or take the Mother Theresa approach. Perhaps, Wole Soyinka understands this now. I hope Achebe gets buried in the United States where he spent all his productive life in, I do hope Things Fall Apart help stem the tide of Boko Haram or wipe out Niger /Delta militancy one day, who knows, the fine literary piece might cause these people to have a change of heart. Maybe I'm still living in fantasy on this one. I do hope the best for his soul.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by gift53(f): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

What could he do about whom his daughter wanted to marry? WHat could Chief CC Onoh do to stop his friend Ojuku from molesting Biancar?

He was friends with Soyinka but tried his best to denigrate the Nobel that Soyinka got

Ashebe was a bitter man his bitterness ended his life. Maybe the senile cripple would have lived a more peaceful life if he rid himself of tribalism
and u say dat abt sm1 dat lived for 82 yrs get a life

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

Ayo Fayose Dancing With His People (Photos) / Osinbajo Nicknames Wike 'Mr Projects' / Borno Residents Reject Repentant Boko Haram Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.