Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41747 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: I'm also Biafran. I hate this entity called Nigeria with passion. I hate everything she stands for. Yes, Nigeria is a country every child indeed wishes never to be born in. Nigeria is a spade, and I'm calling it a spade. Going through this thread, seeing what she has bred, I know I'm right.

Most of u here claiming to love Nigeria, why did u choose to spend nights at other countries' embassies? Why smuggle yourselves to other countries yet your love for this Nigeria is unwavering? Why marry a woman old enough to be ur grandmother just to have a permanent visa? Yet u love Nigeria? Why do menial jobs most of u will NEVER do in this country in other countries. Why wash oyibo woman pata? Yet u love Nigeria! grin Hypocrites!

Its only on this site that you people make noise, forgetting that we all know how life abroad is for u guys over there! Una country dey chase una?

What exactly are you saying?
Is it that you don't like people saying they love nigeria ni? Abi you're saying you yourself don't like the country?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza:

grin, nne I dey o, have been abit busy. How ur side?
anokwam o...I just dey.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
Didi_8: Achebe actually succeeded in denigrating the leaders of other tribes while making his own people the best thing that ever happened to Nigeria. This is definitely not the quality for a man who will make a great contribution to the progress of his country. Great men are never divisive characters, especially when it comes to nation building. Achebe definitely misfired in his last book, and he regretted the uproar the book generated. The book even went to the extent of undermining to genuiness of Igbo intelligentia, hagiographically portraying them false story tellers. It is sad that Achebe who wrote 'Things Fall Apart' in 1958 could descend (through his personal frustration with Nigeria) to the level of writing 'There Was a Country' in 2012. I have read the book twice and I know what am talking about. Nigeria is not a perfect country, and Achebe's last book is definitely a badly written book with his intentions best known to him. Achebe should have known that an elder should not be the one to start a war or foment hatred amongst his people. All the same, we cannot kill the dead. May his soul rest in perfect peace.
sensible igbo man finally

God bless you EOD !!!!!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
django1:

Is it that you don't like people saying they love nigeria ni? Abi you're saying you yourself don't like the country?

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mpumalanga: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
vandarsar: The funny thing is you're part and percel of that folklore you see?

Idi.ota, You sidon for Mpumalanga, South Africa dey throw stones of words like your irreplaceable bigot, Asheebee(Asheburuku)

I will not call you names even if you choose to be the leader of the folklore gang.
For you information,the pan African youths have decided to continue with Achebe's
good work.So you can come and join if you want to cure yourself.

"The Pan African Youth Union will ensure acclaimed author Chinua Achebe's legacy was imparted to young Africans, it said on Saturday."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2013/03/24/pan-african-youth-to-pass-on-achebe-s-legacy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
django1:

They've been thoroughly poisoned ...they are far too gone in the self-hating. They hate the fact they are Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
ItsModella:
anokwam o...I just dey.

Nne eh, ndi iberibe anyi nwere na this nairaland anaghi ekwe mmadu nuo mmiri togbo iko.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Didi_8: Achebe actually succeeded in denigrating the leaders of other tribes while making his own people the best thing that ever happened to Nigeria. This is definitely not the quality for a man who will make a great contribution to the progress of his country. Great men are never divisive characters, especially when it comes to nation building. Achebe definitely misfired in his last book, and he regretted the uproar the book generated. The book even went to the extent of undermining to genuiness of Igbo intelligentia, hagiographically portraying them false story tellers. It is sad that Achebe who wrote 'Things Fall Apart' in 1958 could descend (through his personal frustration with Nigeria) to the level of writing 'There Was a Country' in 2012. I have read the book twice and I know what am talking about. Nigeria is not a perfect country, and Achebe's last book is definitely a badly written book with his intentions best known to him. Achebe should have known that an elder should not be the one to start a war or foment hatred amongst his people. All the same, we cannot kill the dead. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

+1000000 likes
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

They've been thoroughly poisoned ...they are far too gone in the self-hating. They hate the fact they are Nigerians

And u love being Nigerian abi? Hypocrite! In case you are one of those people claiming to love Nigeria but washing oyinbo woman pata in yankee or Jand, come back, I have enough pata for u to wash and I'd will pay u well.grin its better for u to be a slave in ur own lovely Nigeria than obodo oyibo o.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza:

Nne eh, ndi iberibe anyi nwere na this nairaland anaghi ekwe mmadu nuo mmiri togbo iko.
ha ghota ife ne me nu? how many of them gwu cha akwukwu nke ikpazu Achebe de? o fa na koyeli nonsense. Ha nwero respect for onye nwulu anwu.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tpia5: 9:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
the thread should have run its course by now.

we can move on to info about achebe's last days [when did he fall sick?], how is his family coping, etc.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza:

And u love being Nigerian abi? Hypocrite! In case you are one of those people claiming to love Nigeria but washing oyinbo woman pata in yankee or Jand, come back, I have enough pata for u to wash and I'd will pay u well.grin its better for u to be a slave in ur own lovely Nigerian than obodo oyibo o.

Heheheeeeehee...look at this one!

Apparently you are just coming across my handle on this forum.

You think everybody will be like your menfolks that believe they can only make it in life if they venture out of your erosion ravaged and red sand baren land?

I only come to Europe to spend money during annual vacation. When I come ..

Nigeria is sweet for some of us and can only get sweeter cool

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:50pm On Mar 24, 2013
ItsModella:
ha ghota ife ne me nu? how many of them gwu cha akwukwu nke ikpazu Achebe de? o fa na koyeli nonsense. Ha nwero respect for onye nwulu anwu.

I tire my sister.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

Heheheeeeehee...look at this one!

Apparently you are just coming across my handle on this forum.

You think everybody will be like your menfolks that believe they can only make it in life if they venture out of your erosion ravaged and red sand baren land?

I only come to Europe to spend money during annual vacation. When I come ..

Nigeria is sweet for some of us and can only get sweeter cool

Hahahahahaha, u go to Europe to spend money? Yea, only for NL, na today? Hahahahahahah my friend biko move ur ass to a corner. Ur handle doesn't ring a bell neither do I give a rat's azz.

For ur info, take ur tribally destroyed azz somewhere else, I won't descend to ur level in mere words.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Ribaman(m): 10:01pm On Mar 24, 2013

Wow! Hold your horses!Your contribution is riddled with non-sequiturs, as well presumed conclusions. Achebe did not start any war, he only commented on a war that is likely to consume our union. A condemnation of Awo, in my opinion, is not a condemnation of the entire Yoruba race. Please be realistic!
Achebe is being denigrated here, by an unapologetic section of Nigeria. To these haters, he committed the ultimate crime: he told the truth ( the good, the bad, and the really ugly).
To the haters, I have a sort message: Achebe's death led to worldwide "Stop Press" mode. How many Nigerians can literally bring the world press to a literal standstill, for the right reasons?
To all of these haters, is today's Nigeria the Nigeria of your dreams? Should your answer be a "yes", then you do have more than one reason to hate Achebe! However, should your answer be a resounding "no", then you see Achebe as a prophet.
Achebe has achieved more than what a significant number of us are ever likely to achieve, even of we were to live for 8,200 years.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza:

Hahahahahaha, u go to Europe to spend money? Yea, only for NL, na today? Hahahahahahah my friend biko move ur ass to a corner. Ur handle doesn't ring a bell neither do I give a rat's azz.

For ur info, take ur tribally destroyed azz somewhere else, I won't descend to ur level in mere words.

You are running late for you third daily job of taking care of children with disability and other invalids...

Go on...ewu Gambia. Hate filled cheap lady..wonder how you people sleep at night with so much bile for other Nigerians in your contaminated system

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 10:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
They can continue it for all I care, we all have a hero or heroine, asheebee would never be mine.

But for a society so devoid of role model like South Africa, I think you are right to choose a bigot as a role model.
I valued the words and power of musics of Lucky Philip Dube who you lots murder in cold blood than the pen of Asheebee.

Now don't come telling me Zuma is a hero, you and I know who he is!!!

Now, vamoose into an mpumalanga's forest you bigot

mpumalanga:

I will not call you names even if you choose to be the leader of the folklore gang.
For you information,the pan African youths have decided to continue with Achebe's
good work.So you can come and join if you want to cure yourself.

"The Pan African Youth Union will ensure acclaimed author Chinua Achebe's legacy was imparted to young Africans, it said on Saturday."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2013/03/24/pan-african-youth-to-pass-on-achebe-s-legacy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Braincheck: 10:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
What a thread!! I'm sure even d stupid op didnt envisage this or well maybe his bigoted mind and deluded brain actually did.
Divide this Country already or better yet let d Southeast go in Peace. Those that want to stay 2geda can cont.d 2 do so.
RIP Chief Achebe. (You remain the greatest of dem all).
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 10:12pm On Mar 24, 2013
ilugunboy:

You are running late for you third daily job of taking care of children with disability and other invalids...

Go on...ewu Gambia. Hate filled cheap lady..wonder how you people sleep at night with so much bile for other Nigerians in your contaminated system

Hahahahahahahaha typical u. Like I said earlier, u are too minute for me to exchange words with. Now run along.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7lives: 10:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
kettykin: [size=20pt]How Awolowo invented Tribalism and introduced Nepotism into Nigerian Politics[/size]

http://www.dawodu.net/igho.htm

So the refusal of the Yoruba to allow Zik become the premier of western region was the reason yorubas are labelled tribalists, wonders shall never end, Yorubas are not subservient to anybody, thank God such nonsense was not allowed to happen, Yorubaland would have probably become another Plateau state by now, Lord have mercy, if protecting my home is tribalism, so be it.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
ypzilanti:

Half illiterate with access to computer and internet. Next thing he will as is what Bob Marley's contribution is to Jamicans.

Lmao... Nah, I'm a full illiterate with access to computer and internet... However, Bob Marley actually did a lot for Jamaica - he single-handedly put Jamaica on the map... He fought for Jamaicans with his timeless music and wise words; inspired more than 5 generations of negroes in the struggle; never preached superiority among the maroons and other ethnicities in Jamaica; and he was in the trenches with his people and got his hands dirty with them... Bob Marley was more than a legend - he was an enigma - and people like him only visit this planet once in a life time...

Can you say the same about any Nigerian dead, or alive - apart from Fela Kuti?? (ALL INCLUSIVE)!!! grin grin tongue
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 10:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
7lives:

So the refusal of the Yoruba to allow Zik become the premier of western region was the reason yorubas are labelled tribalists, wonders shall never end, Yorubas are not subservient to anybody, thank God such nonsense was not allowed to happen, Yorubaland would have probably become another Plateau state by now, Lord have mercy, if protecting my home is tribalism, so be it.

And what have u been able to defend. Postpone the doomsday. U will die a tribalist then. Mind u the plateau state u mentioned now are healing their wounds after resisting Islamisation by Hausa/Fulani. U pple can only postpone the doomsday but believe me it will come. Continue romancing with ur Masters.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by viruz007(m): 10:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Only the topic of this post na trouble. When will you people learn to put aside trival issues aside? Could not read the entire pages cuz na insult get am...

Fine I have not read his new book but like r u serious about what this man has done? He put Nigeria & africa on the world map. He showed that we are humans. As for his not being in the country plz is that one talk plus the man cripple. Which of our instituions would have the right facilities to support his condition? Many writers r inspired by him. The national award u people are making noise about sef, no get head again. People who have been awarded b4 where called again to b conferred sum with lower honours and u people r attaching noise to it... Please stop the hate and tribalism. Achebe played his part in shaping Nigeria be it whether he was a bitter man or not. Am proud that he came from Nigeria and I wish him RIP.

If only we all spoke english as a common language, all dis tribalism would have been minimal. Soyinka is a great man with his faults, Awo the same, Achebe had his so you people should seat up and find a way to make our country grow and stop being so bitter. My 2 cents
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 10:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
vandarsar: They can continue it for all I care, we all have a hero or heroine, asheebee would never be mine.

But for a society so devoid of role model like South Africa, I think you are right to choose a bigot as a role model.
I valued the words and power of musics of Lucky Philip Dube who you lots murder in cold blood than the pen of Asheebee.

Now don't come telling me Zuma is a hero, you and I know who he is!!!

Now, vamoose into an mpumalanga's forest you bigot

you idioot. I guess Nelson Mandela is from your backyard in ogbomosho since South Africa is so devoid of role model fool. Even awolowo your role model cannot share the same air with Nelson Mandela, fool
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by hillarymani(m): 10:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
[quote author=Our Yansh]

Positive Attention...... Is‎​ that all??[/quote. Thiis is all about the ibos again, when will yoruba's accepts that the ibos has contributed to this country. What is development in nigeria if not the ibos. Pack well joor
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza:

Hahahahahahahaha typical u. Like I said earlier, u are too minute for me to exchange words with. Now run along.

Mgbeke stop quoting me...no time for someone living life full of hatred for Nigerians other than her Biafran wannabes.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 10:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
Igbos will continue to give their blood to resist the islamisation of the Ndigbo. They will do it in Borno, in Kano, in Onitsha, in Port Harcourt and even in Lagos. The Igbos dont run away in the face of danger, they embrace it and tackle it. No time for cowardice.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13:
Ok great. I agree with you. I cannot speak for all black people though we share similar problems. I want to talk about the nigerian youth and how to awaken our neglected conciousness.

I appreciate the fact that you carry out community services. In your own bit you are contributing. Soyinka started from the university to raise the awareness of black man. He started as a youth.

Now we have a new kind of enemy and our enemy lives in us. Our enemy is our value system. A system of materialism, selfishness, pride, loathe, greed etc. This value system has given rise to corruption, theft, tribalism/nepotism etc. Previously, I would have said our enemy is our public leaders. But our public leaders were once private citizens. At even some point, many of them critized the govt during their time of the same ill effects we are currently experiencing. So our enemy is not our public leaders.

Shymexx what do you think?

Personally, I think knowledge of self(consciousness); love; and trying to find a balance between our passion for our different tribes/ethnicities and race are the answers...

With knowledge of self, we'll be conscious about who we're and understand that we come from a great race of people who're achievers... So, that will enable us not to settle-for-less and raise the standard high for those we call our heroes and those we emulate...

With love, we'll be able to love one another - love is the answer... Once we start loving ourselves, we won't be take advantage of one another... At the end of the day, we're all in the struggle together - and what binds us all together is greater than the few differences we've... In the larger scheme-of-things, we're all in this mess together - and their earlier we realise that, the better for all of us... Everything wrong with our value system stems from lack of LOVE and knowledge of self...

And finding a balance between our passion for our different tribes/ethnicities and race is what's needed for us to be able to work together as one big family and maintain interoperability among the different ethnic group without animosity... We need to start looking at the bigger picture - which is where we stand in the world as a group... United we stand and divided we fall..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Melinde: 10:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
@OP, he always say he was African and ibo. Never include your Nigeria.
Mind you he contributed much in Africa and Ibo land.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 10:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao... Nah, I'm a full illiterate with access to computer and internet... However, Bob Marley actually did a lot for Jamaica - he single-handedly put Jamaica on the map... He fought for Jamaicans with his timeless music and wise words; inspired more than 5 generations of negroes in the struggle; never preached superiority among the maroons and other ethnicities in Jamaica; and he was in the trenches with his people and got his hands dirty with them... Bob Marley was more than a legend - he was an enigma - and people like him only visit this planet once in a life time...

Can you say the same about any Nigerian dead, or alive - apart from Fela Kuti?? (ALL INCLUSIVE)!!! grin grin tongue

Fela, the only thing we can remember him for are phucking his band members, wearing a pant around the streets, smoking marijuana, and dying of AIDS.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7lives: 10:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

Rubbish! Why don't you start by condemning your blood thirsty leaders for their aggression and the killings of other sectional leaders? Why don't you blame them for attacking Yorubaland for their so called 'liberation' and the killings of many that resulted due to their greed?
Why don't you blame Ojukwu for dragging you into senseless war? Why don't you blame him for his inability to reach a compromise and swallow his pride to save many from starvation?
Why don't you demand an apology from Ojukwu for abandoning his people in the time if need only to come
back to wine and dine with the enemy? Did Ojukwu lose any if his properties after the civil war? He even got his military pension back, so what is his restitution to his people.
Until you people start to behave like adults and take responsibility for your action ss well as confront the enemy within no one will ever take you serious.

You nailed it, i tried to find out the reason for the slaughtering of the Igbos in the north before the civil war, and the answer i got was that after the murder of other regional leaders and allowing their own brothers to escape, Igbos went and print the pictures of Kaduna Nzeogwu and start selling it in the open markets in the north, boasting and telling the Hausas that Nzeogwu is the killer of Hausa fathers, this is like a salt on injuries. And so the Hausas were buying the pictures and keeping it waiting for the appropriate time to strike back. The Igbos brought trouble on themselves, the truth is that when am a visitor in your home you can treat me which ever way you like, but to treat me any how in my home will be some serious issues with heavy consequences. The tendency to always see others as fools to be taking for a ride will only bring trouble for the Igbos, let the Igbos learn to live in peace with other Nigerians simple.
Today Igbos are still in the north
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 11:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Personally, I think knowledge of self(consciousness); love; and trying to find a balance between our passion for our different tribes/ethnicities and race are the answers...

With knowledge of self, we'll be conscious about who we're and understand that we come from a great race of people who're achievers... So, that will enable us not to settle-for-less and raise the standard high for those we call our heroes and those we emulate...

With love, we'll be able to love one another - love is the answer... Once we start loving ourselves, we won't be take advantage of one another... At the end of the day, we're all in the struggle together - and what binds us all together is greater than the few differences we've... In the larger scheme-of-things, we're all in this mess together - and their earlier we realise that, the better for all of us... Everything wrong with our value system stems from lack of LOVE and knowledge of self...

And finding a balance between our passion for our different tribes/ethnicities and race is what's needed for us to be able to work together as one big family and maintain interoperability among the different ethnic group without animosity... We need to start looking at the bigger picture - which is where we stand in the world as a group... United we stand and divided we fall..

We are not in this struggle together, we have given up on this country since 1967 but you have continued to hang your lives to ijaw oil.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (37) (Reply)

Joe Abah Blasts Lady Sexually Trying To Chat Him Up On Twitter (pic) / Governor Yahaya Bello Pictured With Crutches In Public Trying To Enter His Car / APC Took Jonathan To Court For Deploying Army During Elections! See Court Ruling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.