Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,613 members, 7,816,518 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? (3558 Views)

Putting A Stop To The "Yoruba-igbo" Ethnic Rivalry. / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? / Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by TheBookWorm: 2:33am On Mar 25, 2013
I have noticed that Yorubas and Igbos are only united when someone from another country insults Nigeria. That is when your fangs come out and you all join in brotherhood and sisterhood. When that common enemy is gone, some of you revert back to your tribalistic ways.

Do Nigerians enjoy mocking other groups and each other? I can understand if it is in jest, but some of you take it way too far.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by tpia5: 2:38am On Mar 25, 2013
Seun: wtf is ethnic baiting anyway? We do not support ethnic or racial intolerance, but ethnic baiting is not recognised as a form of intolerance.

since you're on the thread, i might as well ask you, what guides you and mukina when choosing moderators.

seems some of your choices are simply there in order to have access to people's ip addresses for easy monitoring.

if you reply me in a rude manner, o ma ri tie.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Okay, lemme play dumb. Can you give me a new criteria of determining who is the best in literature ? While you are at it, you can also tell me the new criteria of determining the fifa footballer of year award other than selection by "few" according to you. smh.

The problem is that there is actually no parameter for determining the "best" in literature or even in any field.

Most certainly not a prize - fraught with the politics and hobnobing that comes behind it.

Hitler won the Nobel peace prize (yes, he actually did), so do we therefore conclude that he was one of the most peaceful leaders on earth?

Literature, like any other form of art, is only appreciated in the eye of the beholder.

The closest we can get to "objectively" determining achievements in literature is judging how many people were positively impacted, awed or inspired by it.

And even that too is not a perfect method.

Anyway, the question you asked initially was about global recognition in literature, which is what I answered.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 25, 2013
tpia@:

since you're on the thread, i might as well ask you, what guides you and mukina when choosing moderators.

seems some of your choices are simply there in order to have access to people's ip addresses for easy monitoring.

if you reply me in a rude manner, o ma ri tie.

Why do you browse the internet with your real IP, anyway

You can't really trust forums like nl, so it's better to stay anonymous by buying software for hiding IP addresses..

Thank me later..
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by kramer: 2:44am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Giving more excuses to help a brother? igbo people and their sense?

Imagine this nonsense line, " I won't say he's being a tribalist, but an ignoramus". Give it up, no one is buying your lies.

Hmm.. OK i just read the comment again and yes it does have a tribalist tone to it when read in context.

I stand corrected.

Also I'm not from the Igbo tribe
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:47am On Mar 25, 2013
TheBookWorm: I have noticed that Yorubas and Igbos are only united when someone from another country insults Nigeria. That is when your fangs come out and you all join in brotherhood and sisterhood. When that common enemy is gone, some of you revert back to your tribalistic ways.

Do Nigerians enjoy mocking other groups and each other? I can understand if it is in jest, but some of you take it way too far.

It's their innate ni.gger syndrome... Unite against external forces and get tribal when there's no one to fight - isn't that how ni.ggers are everywhere on this planet Blood vs. Crips New York before gentrification?? It's the same story everywhere!!

However, it's funny sometimes, though... there's nothing better than good ol'banter and trash talking but some people are just too emotional... grin
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by tpia5: 2:54am On Mar 25, 2013
shymexx:

that's not really the point.

anyone tracking my ip will land themselves in really hot soup, so thats their business.

the issue is these people like to feel no one knows what they're doing whereas what they're about is quite obvious.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:57am On Mar 25, 2013
tpia@:

that's not really the point.

anyone tracking my ip will land themselves in really hot soup, so thats their business.

the issue is these people like to feel no one knows what they're doing whereas what they're about is quite obvious.

Oh well, if you feel they're invading your privacy - report them to the right authorities, or change your IP address...

JUst switch off your router for like 2 mins and switch it back on - and your IP will automatically change to another one...

I honestly don't think they can do anything with your IP, to be honest... undecided
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by tpia5: 3:10am On Mar 25, 2013
^like i said, anyone tracking my ip will land themselves in hot soup. That's not necessarily my concern, whoever wants to try their peeping tom habit should be my guest.

my question was what criteria exactly do seun and mukina use in choosing mods.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:16am On Mar 25, 2013
^^^^That's a million dollar question... grin

You shouldn't have a problem with that - it's his forum and if he prefers to run it into the ground for temporary benefits and traffic, that's his cup-of-tea... We internet heads know that, nothing lasts forever on the internet and people are also dynamic with new trends... I just hope nl don't end up like washed up hi5.com and msn messenger.. grin

This forum definitely needs a competition and I'm planning to build a forum with advanced features devoid of tribalism that'll challenge nairaland...

Watch out for: www.serengetichat.com.... wink
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by tpia5: 3:20am On Mar 25, 2013
is kenya where its at now, even with the passing on of nigeria's old guard?

achebe is gone, obadare is gone, people are not going to feel the impact until much later.

and btw, stop acting like we are bosom buddies, you and i both know what everybody is about in this place.

I have my caveat emptor in my signature, anyone buying any rubbish story about me or mine, is on their own.

God pass all of una.

make everyone hold im village o, to your tents o israel. I no dey form parapo wey no dey pay me..
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by EkoAtlantic: 3:36am On Mar 25, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^That's a million dollar question... grin

You shouldn't have a problem with that - it's his forum and if he prefers to run it into the ground for temporary benefits and traffic, that's his cup-of-tea... We internet heads know that, nothing lasts forever on the internet and people are also dynamic with new trends... I just hope nl don't end up like washed up hi5.com and msn messenger.. grin

This forum definitely needs a competition and I'm planning to build a forum with advanced features devoid of tribalism that'll challenge nairaland...

Watch out for: www.serengetichat.com.... wink

See where I landed with your site angry cheesy

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:38am On Mar 25, 2013
I have a Complaint......

Seun, Afam....This crazy Yoruba Tribalist Lady C.Fours Posted my Display Pic in this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1218026/why-igbo-women-beards/3#14870183

I am banned but she walks around freely, I thought Posting Members Photos was a Perma Ban?

Perverse Nairalady Playin with herself to my Lovely Photo. grin

#DrySnitchin
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by JulianaGhana: 3:42am On Mar 25, 2013
ah yu kno meh b she lykes yu no?
save yur pic for play play wit bear paw no?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 25, 2013
I ain't tawkin to you unless you tell me what Tribe you are From.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Mudley313: 4:18am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Whatever, dude. We can see through your bigotry. Rushing to open thread won't help you either.

see this one oh...i'm neither yoruba nor ibo...i know some of you get a hard on trolling others on anonymous forums, but wont dare open your mortuary odoured trap in public spewing all that bigoted crap

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:

Does not take away from the fact that Achebe is more recognized in academic and literary circles the world over, much much more than Soyinka is.

There are so many revered authors and writers who have never won the Nobel Prize.

There are so many obscure and unknown authors who have.

People make it look as if it is a deal breaker or something.
For someone to win a nobel prize that means the person must have been recognized for his good work(S). Whenever Soyinka dies he is going to be recognized more because not only is he a guru in language but he is also speaking and standing up for the people of his country.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by MrGlobe(m): 6:57am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

Saying Soyinka is a local Champion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner the only Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

Can someone who won World player of the year be called a Local Champion? If he is Local how come the greatest award in his field recognized him?

if a Yoruba person had said that it would have been extreme ignorance and foolishness
another ignorant mofo. Who told you the Nobel prize is the highest prize in literature?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by omiobo: 7:36am On Mar 25, 2013
If you are a real Igbo tribalist don't buy pepper from Iya basira and if you are a real yoruba tribalist don't spare part from chukwudi,that's how we will know a true skank tribalist.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 25, 2013
Mudley313:

see this one oh...i'm neither yoruba nor ibo...i know some of you get a hard on trolling others on anonymous forums, but wont dare open your mortuary odoured trap in public spewing all that bigoted crap

Shut it!

Keep on denying, as if we don't know you lots. Am neither igbo, indeed.
what a crayfish with muddled porter clay in place of his brain. Fool.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Afam4eva(m): 8:54am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

Saying Soyinka is a local Champion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner the only Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

Can someone who won World player of the year be called a Local Champion? If he is Local how come the greatest award in his field recognized him?

if a Yoruba person had said that it would have been extreme ignorance and foolishness
Saying that Soyinka is a local champion can be termed ignorant but not tribalistic. The best you can say is whoever said such had a tribalistic intent which you cannot prove so it still passes as non-tribalistic. Would it still be tribalistic if it came from a Yoruba person's mouth? I guess not.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by DukeNija(m): 8:56am On Mar 25, 2013
*556# this your hate is just too much for your own good! Haba!
Wat has the igbo's done to you? cry
You kept refering to 'brain' are you scared or what?

As for dayokanu, I prophesy into his life that his Son, and one daughter will marry from Anambra and Imo states respectively. Amen!
Nothing he can do but cry!! cry tongue
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 25, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Its sickning!
I was born and bred in Lagos.
Served in Ekiti state, same with my Mom!
My mom schooled in the University of Ibadan, same with my elder brother.
I can never hate Yoruba's because I understand them.
They have a different culture just as the Igbo's.

All i have to say to you is *Shut your stupid mouth*. Read your history books and understand the structure of the three major tribes in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 25, 2013
shymexx:

You can't really trust forums like nl, so it's better to stay anonymous by buying software for hiding IP addresses..

Thank me later..

Shymexx you are so ignorant as to how IP addresses show up. Listen up Mr Peckham (Morleys fried chicken), IP addresses can only go as far as showing your location (City, county, region) and not your house address. Stop falling for *HideMyIP* cos they really know how to shaft ignoramus like you o undecided

Nairaland cannot dare go as far as tracing you. If they do and you got proof, pay some cheap Indian hackers to bomb the site 10 times everyday for 3 months. I have a team who can do it for only £400. That is cheap Indian for you cool
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
Saying that Soyinka is a local champion can be termed ignorant but not tribalistic. The best you can say is whoever said such had a tribalistic intent which you cannot prove so it still passes as non-tribalistic. Would it still be tribalistic if it came from a Yoruba person's mouth? I guess not.

Let's for a second agree with your bigoted reasoning faculty and assume the OP spent his life in a cave or was on mission to mars not to know who Soyinka really was to call him a local champion. Now, how about you put a defense for him when he said Soyinka should sell 10 million copies before he reconsider him? was the OP oblivious and naive when he tried rubbishing Soyinka at the credit of his brother Achebe? He, like many of you couldn't hide or resist displaying his bigotry. Just like what Zik wrote in 1947 about a mere football competition played in Lagos. the OP was just displaying the genetic makeup of an average igbo man who feels superior to any other person in Nigeria and and when paid back in their coin , they cry victimisation.

This is what brought us to the mess we have in this country, igbos looking down on others and feeling more equal than others . Everybody is much ready to defend his people, be it in cyberspace or real life. we are really not in 1967.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Biggyd2: 9:36am On Mar 25, 2013
Saddest part is that the people who they diss themselves over don't even know that their sorry backsides exist. undecided
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by ALLWILBWELL: 10:35am On Mar 25, 2013
I thank the OP sincerely for this post. I feel so worried about the fact that every thread on Nairaland is usually turned to a tribal "war". And I suspect that most of the pple on Nairaland are youths. What then lies ahead for this great country. Can Nigeria attain greatness in the nearest future when the youths are tribally and ethnically bigoted? How long are we going to continue this way. This tribal disputes/frictions/animosities have not helped us in the past. If we are yearning for a positive and radical change in this country, then we should do something about these tribal suspicions. This change must start from you and me. Let us come to an agreement that when one Nigerian does a good thing, we have all done a good thing; and when a Nigerian does a bad thing, we should all feel that that fellow has disappointed and disgraced us all. Outside the country, we are all seen as Nigerians. When a Nigerian misbehaves outside the country, he is not seen as hausa, igbo or yoruba. He is seen as a Nigerian. Attributing the glory of a successful Nigerian to a particular tribe and the disgrace to another tribe is condemnable. No tribe is bad, but every tribe has its own share of bad elements. Dear Nigerians, please, lets see ourselves as brothers and sisters. Lets show love to one another. This is the only way we can make progress as a country. Thanks to you all.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Whitehorse: 10:48am On Mar 25, 2013
Seun: wtf is ethnic baiting anyway? We do not support ethnic or racial intolerance, but ethnic baiting is not recognised as a form of intolerance.

@ Seun,

Stop playing ostrich here!!!

I stopped commenting on Nairaland for a long time, simply because the Nairaland brand always leaves a sour taste in the mouth because of the hatred spewing from the politics section.

You and your MOD's are either explicitly or implicitly part of the problem too, since its all about the traffic.

In a civilised country, your website would have been taken down for the amount of hatred it generates. Hatred is hatred, weather online or face to face.

Anyway, its your website, you can do whatever you want with it.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 11:21am On Mar 25, 2013
Genius100: You think the secret to the traffic on Nairaland is your loose moderating?
Nope. I think successful forums are harder to control. And I think Afam4eva and OAM4j are not moderating loosely.

If Nairaland was well moderated, you will be making a lot more money than you are now, because you will attract a more profitable demographic.
Nairaland is quite well moderated, but there's a lot of room for improvement, therefore we will continue to strive for improvement.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by ikeyman00(m): 11:57am On Mar 25, 2013
2x
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by ikeyman00(m): 12:00pm On Mar 25, 2013
@@@@

the only reason isnt about seun; so leave him out biko

the reason is some people simply hate the truth so much that they really dnt know how much damage they are doing to the black race and nigeria

that is it!

any other talk is just dilly dally

imagine some people in the country talking about giving amnesty to vampires that have killed and killed and killed and still killing and still on it u have ur once again chief thief tinubu saying thats a minor crime; imagine thats? these are people in the power; just picture that and to see ur oga Ribadu saying the same thing u ever wonder if this country ever have the right people in charge of things; this is serious

these vampires have been killing igbos and u are less likely to get any condolence from oduduwa but when its the other way round it becomes Nigerian wahala;

the same obj some oduduwa have murdered time and time in the forum has drastically become oduduwa hero who once walked to the boko den

if there has to be peace the balance of things is always on the oduduwa to bridge the gap but any chance they get we see a real hater lying to himself

its time for change for good of the country

okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now they have seen pocket of them vampire in Lagos hear them speak lipsrsealed

the wahala with the oduduwa is within themselves; every body talk about igbo and dat but deep inside they are more of worry about the igbo buying them out if they are allowed cuz of the great and competitiveness of the Igbo spirit

igbo will never hate good life hence the point of living and willing to live with anyone that embraces good living but the wahala nevertheless when he comes over to Lagos and work himself up over the years the oduduwa brethren kicks in with his bad belle

boko and evil vampire can attack anywhere so drop the foolishness and join in to fight these monsters

a dead body is a dead body!
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
Seun:
Nope. I think successful forums are harder to control. And I think Afam4eva and OAM4j are not moderating loosely.

Nairaland is quite well moderated, but there's a lot of room for improvement, therefore we will continue to strive for improvement.

How is Nairaland Policed Well without bias when this nutty lady is posting my pic, and walking around free of Bans?

https://www.nairaland.com/1218026/why-igbo-women-beards/3#14870183

Yet, If I Sneeze My Accounts are Banned till 2126.

Is Posting Peoples Pics Against the Rules or not?..or Only When Royal Does it?.

Or is it because she's Yoruba She Gets a Pass?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU Held Clandestine Meetings With APC - Group / Have You Noticed Picture Quality Of NTA Lately? / APC Presidential Primaries Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.