Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? (3559 Views)

Putting A Stop To The "Yoruba-igbo" Ethnic Rivalry. / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? / Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:41am On Mar 25, 2013
Seun, hi! I can see you watching.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Mudley313: 1:41am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Just a pin drop of achievements of Prof. Wole Soyinka, the man the bigoted OP referred to as local champion. That's igbo man for you, arrogance and chest beating. Simply because Soyinka is a Yoruba man, then the igbo must be best. Fools.

smh @ a thread complaining about tribalism spiraling into a tribal thread

exits thread

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:42am On Mar 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
The problem with tribalism is that you feel whatever any one from another ethnic groups says is laced with tribalism. Saying that Soyinka is a local champion is not tribalistic. Will it also be tribalistic if you heard it from a Yoruba person? Though i disagree with soyinka been a local champion.

Soyinka local champion? show me one. person from your entire region with more international recognition than him. Local champion according to bigoted igbos, as if we don't know you.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Soyinka local champion? show me one. person from your entire region with more international recognition than him. Local champion according to bigoted igbos, as if we don't know you.

Achebe.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 25, 2013
The nobel prize in literature has been given to many obscure authors who most people have never heard of.

Nobel is not = vast and wide international recognition
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 25, 2013
Mudley313:

smh @ a thread complaining about tribalism spiraling into a tribal thread

exits thread

Whatever, dude. We can see through your bigotry. Rushing to open thread won't help you either.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:46am On Mar 25, 2013
Not that the Nobel prize in literature is a child's play.

Not by any means at all.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:
The nobel prize in literature has been given to many obscure authors who most people have never heard of.

Nobel is not = vast and wide international recognition

Brouhaha! Igbos and their bitterness.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 25, 2013
Between Achebe and Soyinka, who is more likely to be known in academic and esteemed literary circles around the world?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:48am On Mar 25, 2013
DK just exposed the OP - bwahahahahahahahahah... grin
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Brouhaha! Igbos and their bitterness.

You asked about worldwide recognition, and I answered.

I know you are trying to project this bitterness thing on me but even you deep down know that this is true.

In academic circles (in the literary scene) worldwide, who is likely to be more recognized?

Achebe or Soyinka?

Answer sincerely.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by EkoAtlantic: 1:51am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:

Achebe.

Street boy respected in ibo land
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:51am On Mar 25, 2013
At topic:

Ethnic rivalry is a universal thing - all tribal people are competitive and it's a world of survival of the fittest...

The only solution is for people to learn how to respect other people's feelings...

You can't dish out at other people and expect them to laugh at you, period... wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:51am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:
Between Achebe and Soyinka, who is more likely to be known in academic and esteemed literary circles around the world?

Achebe can never win a Nobel Prize, even in his grave. He died with his bitterness.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:52am On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

Street boy respected in ibo land

And Nigeria.

And the entire world - judging from the plethora of articles from major news sources that commiserated with mourners on his death.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:54am On Mar 25, 2013
The biggest proponents of tribalism on this forum are the same people those crying about tribalism put on high pedestal... You can't cry tribalism and make the Chief tribalist, Onlytruth, your god on nl...

Anyway, I'm not tribal, I gatts love for everyone... wink

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:54am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Achebe can never win a Nobel Prize, even in his grave. He died with his bitterness.

Does not take away from the fact that Achebe is more recognized in academic and literary circles the world over, much much more than Soyinka is.

There are so many revered authors and writers who have never won the Nobel Prize.

There are so many obscure and unknown authors who have.

People make it look as if it is a deal breaker or something.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:55am On Mar 25, 2013
That was your question, right, #556?

Who is more recognized internationally?
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:56am On Mar 25, 2013
How did this thread turn into Achebe vs. Soyinka??

You lot are sick in the head!
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:56am On Mar 25, 2013
Don't get me wrong - I think that Soyinka is a revered and celebrated author and deserves his accolades and awards.

But I was only answering your question.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by dayokanu(m): 1:58am On Mar 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
The problem with tribalism is that you feel whatever any one from another ethnic groups says is laced with tribalism. Saying that Soyinka is a local champion is not tribalistic. Will it also be tribalistic if you heard it from a Yoruba person? Though i disagree with soyinka been a local champion.

Saying Soyinka is a local Champion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner the only Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

Can someone who won World player of the year be called a Local Champion? If he is Local how come the greatest award in his field recognized him?

if a Yoruba person had said that it would have been extreme ignorance and foolishness

6 Likes

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

Saying Soyinka is a local Chapion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner the only Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

Can someone who won World player of the year be called a Local Champion? If he is Local how come the greatest award in his field recognized him?

if a Yoruba person had said that it would have been extreme ignorance and foolishness

Calm down - of course Soyinka is much more than a local champion undecided

People who say otherwise are only pulling your legs.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by EkoAtlantic: 2:02am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Nnenna that's the difference grin level pass level.
Soyinka was even the first in Africa, it's a record your great grand kids self will see and hear of grin

You've got to give it to this man cheesy
A BOSS will forever be a BOSS

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:02am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:

You asked about worldwide recognition, and I answered.

I know you are trying to project this bitterness thing on me but even you deep down know that this is true.

In academic circles (in the literary scene) worldwide, who is likely to be more recognized?

Achebe or Soyinka?

Answer sincerely.

Here you have it.

Nominations

Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3,000
individuals, usually in September the year before the prizes are
awarded. These individuals are often academics working in a
relevant area. For the Peace Prize, inquiries are sent to
governments, members of international courts , professors and
rectors, former Peace Prize laureates and current or former
members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. The deadline for the
return of the nomination forms is 31 January of the year of the
award. [44][45] The Nobel Committee nominates about 300
potential laureates from these forms and additional names. [46]
The nominees are not publicly named, nor are they told that they
are being considered for the prize. All nomination records for a
prize are sealed for 50 years from the awarding of the prize. [47]
[48]

Selection

The Nobel Committee then prepares a report reflecting the advice of
experts in the relevant fields. This, along with the list of preliminary
candidates, is submitted to the prize-awarding institutions. [49]
The institutions meet to choose the laureate or laureates in each
field by a majority vote. Their decision, which cannot be appealed,
is announced immediately after the vote. [50] A maximum of three
laureates and two different works may be selected per award.
Except for the Peace Prize, which can be awarded to institutions,
the awards can only be given to individuals. [51] If the Peace Prize
is not awarded, the money is split among the scientific prizes. This
has happened 19 times so far.

Apparently, these guys won't waste their time awarding a bigoted, children story writer.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by EkoAtlantic: 2:12am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

Saying Soyinka is a local Chapion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner THE ONLY Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

grin grin
You can say that again cheesy "THE ONLY ONE"
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 25, 2013
*556#:

Here you have it.

Apparently, these guys won't waste their time awarding a bigoted, children story writer.

Ok...it's like most of my points are flying over your head.

A list of Nobel prize winners and years that they won:

Mo Yan
Tomas Tranströmer
Mario Vargas Llosa
Herta Müller
Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio
Doris Lessing
Orhan Pamuk
Harold Pinter
Elfriede Jelinek
John M. Coetzee
Imre Kertész
Sir Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul
Gao Xingjian
Günter Grass
José Saramago
Dario Fo
Wislawa Szymborska
Seamus Heaney
Kenzaburo Oe
Toni Morrison
Derek Walcott
Nadine Gordimer
Octavio Paz
Camilo José Cela
Naguib Mahfouz
Joseph Brodsky
Wole Soyinka
Claude Simon
Jaroslav Seifert
William Golding
Gabriel García Márquez
Elias Canetti
Czeslaw Milosz
Odysseus Elytis
Isaac Bashevis Singer
Vicente Aleixandre
Saul Bellow
Eugenio Montale
Eyvind Johnson, Harry Martinson
Patrick White
Heinrich Böll
Pablo Neruda
Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn
Samuel Beckett
Yasunari Kawabata
Miguel Angel Asturias
Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Nelly Sachs
Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov
Jean-Paul Sartre
Giorgos Seferis
John Steinbeck
Ivo Andric
Saint-John Perse
Salvatore Quasimodo
Boris Leonidovich Pasternak
Albert Camus
Juan Ramón Jiménez
Halldór Kiljan Laxness
Ernest Miller Hemingway
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
François Mauriac
Pär Fabian Lagerkvist

Out of the people in this list, the average literary aficionado would know 40%-50%, and the average person with some education or exposure to literature would know about 10%-20%.

The Nobel Prize in literature is a very prestigious one, but it doesn't necessarily have a bearing on how a person's achievement in literature is measured(i.e. high-brow artistic appreciation and dissemination by large groups of people).

If that was the case, Mark Twain would be less of an author than Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen (winner in 1902).

Get it?

It's a prize determined and awarded by a small group of people, at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by kramer: 2:19am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

Saying Soyinka is a local Champion is not tribalistic then what is tribalistic? Calling a whole Nobel Laureate winner the only Nobel winner in this country a local Champion?

When I saw the comment I wasn't thinking whether the person saying it was Igbo or Yoruba, I just thought he was expressing his opinion (which is silly I agree) yet I won't say he's being a tribalist, but an ignoramus.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 25, 2013
The question you asked, and I quote, is:

*556#:

show me one person from your entire region with more international recognition than him. Local champion according to bigoted igbos

And I answered.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 25, 2013
Can you lot get your dyck waving argument off the thread and let those who want to debate the topic do?? Jheezzz!!

This foolishness is worse than tribalism!!! undecided
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:21am On Mar 25, 2013
Open another thread for your argument....

The topic in discourse is: "Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland?"
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 25, 2013
nnenna.1:

Ok...it's like most of my points are flying over your head.

A list of Nobel prize winners and years that they won:

Out of the people in this list, the average literary aficionado would know 40%-50%, and the average person with some education or exposure to literature would know about 10%-20%.

The Nobel Prize in literature is a very prestigious one, but it doesn't necessarily have a bearing on how a person's achievement in literature is measured(i.e. high-brow artistic appreciation and dissemination by large groups of people).

If that was the case, Mark Twain would be less of an author than Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen (winner in 1902).

Get it?

It's a prize determined and awarded by a small group of people, at the end of the day.

Okay, lemme play dumb. Can you give me a new criteria of determining who is the best in literature ? While you are at it, you can also tell me the new criteria of determining the fifa footballer of year award other than selection by "few" according to you. smh.
Re: Why Is There So Much Ethnic Rivalry On Nairaland? by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 25, 2013
kramer:

When I saw the comment I wasn't thinking whether the person saying it was Igbo or Yoruba, I just thought he was expressing his opinion (which is silly I agree) yet I won't say he's being a tribalist, but an ignoramus.

Giving more excuses to help a brother? igbo people and their sense?

Imagine this nonsense line, " I won't say he's being a tribalist, but an ignoramus". Give it up, no one is buying your lies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture: What Should Michelle Do To Obama For This"blunder" With Beyonce / LIVE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION RESULTS-Ratio Analysis Show Potentially Rigged States / Viewers Discretion: A Lovely Family Of Six Perished On Lagos-ibadan Way.( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.