Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,488 members, 7,954,890 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:48 AM

Who Am I... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Who Am I... (958 Views)

Am I Wasting My Time With This Man? / Does This Edo Man Really Love Me Or Am I Being Used (foreign Woman) / Does My Ex Want Me Back Or Am I Being Used? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Am I... by marvelck: 8:24am On Mar 27, 2013
Its kind of absurd, when you begin to ask yourself such a question. Since I ought to know who I am. But life could be very funny atimes, to the extent of making one question his or her identity/ability when faced with some certain challenges. Just like when someone is judged or accessed based on his cultural background or on the color of his or her skin (Racial profiling).
Like what we see in most of our movies, where a particular actor or actress is always given a wicked or eccentric role/character to play in movies. Due to the impeccable interpretation of such a role by the actor/actress. And because of this, the person could be perceived to be like that in real life (e.g Patience Ozokwor, Pete Edochie, Victor Osuagwu, Chiwetalu Agu, Sean Penn, Francis Bacon, Samuel L Jackson, Jim Iyke, Saheed Balogun etc). And anytime we see them on movie posters, we tend to quickly assume the role or character the person is playing in the movie, without seeing the movie first.
This kind of assumption also apply to our society, where most people are judged based on where they come from without getting to know them first. Imagine seeing every arab man as a terrorist, every black man or woman as a gangster, a drug addict/dealer, or as an illegal immigrant. Using Nigeria as an example, where religion or tribe is one of the yardstick used by many to judge others. And unfortunately, it's one of the things drawing us back in our country today. Being from a particular area could either improve or hinder one's chances of getting a job or contract.
And in some cases, the same thing also apply to the issue of getting married. For not a few ladies have been dumped by men, cos of where they come from. Some Nigerian men and women do have preference or dislike for women or men from a particular area or State due to their antecedent. Such as having the impression that every Calabar girl like sex alot and are hardly faithful, Abeokuta women dont stay long in a marriage, or that every Ibo girl is materialistic. While in the area of men, we have those who feel all Yoruba men are tribalistic and sentimental, every Ibo man likes money and is greedy, and that most Hausa men are temperamental. It goes on and on. But the mistake in this archaic assumption is that we all are different and shouldn't be judged based on the past or on the character of another person. Femi Kuti's grand mum, the late Funmilayo Kuti was an Abeokuta woman, and stayed with her husband till he passed away. And you cant tell me, Mallam El Rufai former FTC minister walks about with a dagger in his trouser. Or that Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State, before he became a Governor was greedy or too money conscious and yet he was sponsoring alot of children to school and taking care of several widows in many parts of the country through his foundation.
People are different and shouldnt be judged based on the bad character of his tribesmen, community or Country. For I am who I am. We do have sweet good girls from Calabar, Yoruba and Ibo land respectively. Lovely women that would give any man the best of love and marital bliss. Same thing with correct Naija men. Whether he is from the South-South, Southwest, from the North or from the East, there are lot of them. Good men who cherish and love our women. We have to stop hating others cos of where they come from. Lets embrace one another, for none is perfect. And we can only work together to become better... for the good of our society... my dear, lets show some love.
Re: Who Am I... by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 27, 2013
Philosophy has suffered undecided
Re: Who Am I... by Lovetinz(m): 10:30am On Mar 27, 2013
Flytefalls: Philosophy has suffered undecided

I second your opinion.

Primary School debate material.

(1) (Reply)

When U Divorced Yr Wife Did It Affect Yr Relationship With Yr Daughter? / How To Marry A Rich Guy / Beverly Osu Gets Melvin's Invitation To Come Sleep With Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.