Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria (31910 Views)

Shocking Facts About Nigerian Height Of Poverty & IQ!! / Shocking Facts About Governor Oshiomole In Pictures / Ekiti Election: Shocking Facts Emerged!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Ejiekwu1(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2013
Wonderful info
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by lightofjoy(m): 6:40am On Mar 30, 2013
This is nice to know.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by uromicom: 6:41am On Mar 30, 2013
youth no get job youth no get job when u no fit pass interview you say you be graduate
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by HonKontigi: 7:10am On Mar 30, 2013
chiover: I cannot love or like these irrelevant facts when 80% of Nigerian Youths are unemployed. Enough of wash wash jargos. Nobe the same language barrier make Boko Haram dey roast their own countrymen? Abeg pack well joor
In addition, kidnappers,armed robbers, ritualists, lawless state security personnel are committing even worse atrocities against the people.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by badmeat(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2013
Tomorrow is for those who plan today,yesterday is used by those who plan for tomorrow to succeed!nice post
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by HonKontigi: 7:24am On Mar 30, 2013
Obijulius: 13. All of Nigeria's wealth comes from the oil & gas rich regions of the SS & SE. Yet the pple and the land have not been adequately compensated. No other place on d earth has been treated so unjustly.
The country generate revenue from oil & gas resources but it's erroneous to say "All of Nigeria's wealth comes from the oil & gas rich regions of the SS & SE". Trillions of Naira from 13% derivation, federation account allocation,NNDC funds etc which should go for development is being stolen by SS & SE corrupt political leaders, leaving the ordinary people in the region in poverty.

1 Like

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nwogbe: 7:24am On Mar 30, 2013
nice piece
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by rman: 7:31am On Mar 30, 2013
ozodigboo:
You are the one who is lying - abeg free the guy joor.
How can you say the earth's circumference is 40,000km ??
Or that the distance from south to north is 1,100 km ??
I dont really know which Geography book you ve been reading.
I know that the distance from Awka ,[ capital of Anambra state ] to the border between Enugu & Ebonyi states is exactly 100km.
Even when travelling at a steady 100km along ds route, on d expressway, on sundays with less traffic, will prove it.
And these 3 states are the smallest in Nigeria [ in terms of land area ].
Now you want me to believe from port-harcourt, up to benue, plateau , and past the far northern states of jigawa to the border with Niger & Chad is just 1,100km ?
Please, Geographers on NL should help.
Thank you.

Distances in geography are measured "as crow Flies" , you are the one that maybe wrong with the quote above.

By road is completely different from measurement on a straight line.

1 Like

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Greatlydia(f): 7:34am On Mar 30, 2013
dats great
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Ijebulogic(m): 7:39am On Mar 30, 2013
Excellent and informative post by the OP

I remain convinced that God loves Nigeria by blessing us with so much heritage, culture and natural resources. Sadly when I see a few of the comments that follow (tribal, ignorant and abusive), I realise that it is always Man that causes problems for himself. The positives about this country far outweigh the negatives but we are a people who seem obsessed with tribal issues and sad to say, until we step above tribal sentiments, we will never progress as one country. The USA is made up of dozens of nationalities , but view themselves as American first. This "internet" generation is just as lethal and backward as the civil war generation.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by phapi(m): 7:43am On Mar 30, 2013
aare07: Here are some facts from our common heritage that should make you proud to be called a Nigerian:

1. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth. Taraba state alone has more languages than 30 African countries. The importance of this fact is appreciated when one understands that language is the “soul of culture” (as Ngugi wa Thiongo famously said). It is language that births the proverbs, riddles, stories and other aspects of culture that give us identity. UNESCO puts forward that the world’s languages represents an extraordinary wealth of creativity. Linguistic diversity correlates with cultural diversity. This means Nigeria can look inwards and drive itself to become the greatest hub for cultural tourism on earth, and consequently empower its citizens tremendously in the process.

2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth. They enclose 6500 square kilometers of community lands that connected about 500 communities. At over 16000km long, it was thought to be twice the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012 (after five years of meticulous measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is about 21,000km long.

3. The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world. Igbo-Ora, a little town in Oyo state, has been nicknamed Twin capital of the World because of its unusually high rate of twins that is put as high as 158 twins per 1000 births. In a video I watched last year on YouTube presented by Titi (a white lady who speaks Yoruba), and which was centred on twin births in Igbo-Ora, one of the locals boasted that every family in the town has at least one twin!

4. Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi, was the only ruler who resisted control by Songhai, West Africa’s greatest empire at that time. He founded and ruled the Hausa city-state of Kebbi around 1600 A.D and built Surame its capital, a planned city which was almost impossible to penetrate during war. In fact UNESCO describes Surame as “one of the wonders of human history, creativity and ingenuity”, and probably the most massive stone-walled constructions in West Africa. He is listed in Robin Walker’s 50 Greatest Africans.

5. Africa’s oldest known boat is The Dufuna canoe which was discovered in Dufuna village, Yobe state, by a Fulani Herdsman in May 1987, while he dug a well. Various radio-carbon tests conducted in laboratories of reputable universities in Europe and America indicate that the canoe is over 8,000 years old, thus making it the oldest in Africa and 3rd oldest in the world. The discovery of the canoe has completely changed accepted theories of the history and sophistication of marine technology in Africa.

6. Sungbo’s Eredo, a 160 km rampart equipped with guard houses and moats, is reputed to be the largest single pre-colonial monument (or ancient fortification if you like) in Africa. It is located in present-day Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State and when it was built a millennium ago, it required more earth to be moved during construction than that used for building the Great Pyramid of Giza (one of the Seven Wonders of The Ancient World). The most astonishing thing is that Sungbo’s Eredo was the biggest city in the world (bigger than Rome and Cairo) during the Middle Ages when it was built!

7. Sarki Abdullah Burja of Kano (ruled 1438-1452 AD), the 18th ruler of Ancient Kano, created the first Golden Age in Northern Nigeria and ushered in a period of great prosperity. During his reign, Hausa became the biggest indigenous language spoken in Africa after Swahili. He is on the list of 50

Greatest Africans in Robin Walker’s wonderful book, “When We Ruled”.

8. The Jos Plateau Indigobird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state, Nigeria.

9. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours, is found only in Southern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.

10. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world, and is

also home to sixty percent of Nigeria’s mangrove forests. You should know too that Nigeria’s mangrove forests are the largest in Africa and third largest on earth.

11. According to the World Resources Institute, Nigeria is home to 4,715 different types of plant species, and over 550 species of breeding birds and mammals, making it one of the most ecologically vibrant places of the planet.

12. Ile-Ife, in present day Osun State, was paved as early as 1000AD, with decorations that originated from Ancient America suggesting there might have been contact between the Yorubas and the Ancient Americans half a millenium before Columbus ‘discovered’ America.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/online-special/12-shocking-facts-about-nigeria/

Am so proud to cum from dis part of d earth......God has really blessed dis NAtion called Nigeria
Thumbs up for research
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 7:49am On Mar 30, 2013
I'll like to travel round Nigeria.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by tomzman: 7:49am On Mar 30, 2013
nice one.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by valicious1(m): 7:50am On Mar 30, 2013
The most useless thread I've ever come across on NL. @op so the only historical fact from the SE is just the presence of a kinnda bird? Asif the whole region was once a hell of a jungle angry u de craze. Infact ur head no koret.

1 Like

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 7:54am On Mar 30, 2013
From this research I can say that God is not tribalistic.

He did not put everything in the East so that some people will say that He's an Ndigbo God.
He didn't put them all in the West so that people will say He's an Yoruba God or in South South or the nOrth.
He destributed them in His wisdom. Thank you Lord.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by KDULAR: 7:57am On Mar 30, 2013
Thank you OP informative and educating. For the guy that questioned distance let him try this, make a 20cm by 20cm square with a thread, then make different convoluted shapes within the same square with another thread. When he's done , he should remove the 2 threads and measure their distances. He'll discover that the thread that was used to make convolutions within the known border( square) is longer. MeaningNigeria may be about 1200km from Lagos to the end somewhere in Gasua or Portiskum but the road network is Nigeria is well over 140000 yes 140,000Km. The Benin moat may really be that long. Believe in yourself "Blackman know yourself, don't forget your past" Femi Kuti.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by autchman144(m): 8:01am On Mar 30, 2013
2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth. They enclose 6500 square kilometers of community lands that connected about 500 communities. At over 16000km long, it was thought to be twice the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012 (after five years of meticulous measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is about 21,000km long.

Wrong info! A wall that encloses 6500sqkm land cannot be 16000km long. Do ur calculations well. For example, if the area were to be a rectangle, the side could be 65km by 100km (FOR EXAMPLE), which translates to 330km by perimeter. Moreover, distance from Benin to Lagos is about 500km, so how could a wall encircling some communities then be 16000km long...

1 Like

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by autchman144(m): 8:05am On Mar 30, 2013
KDULAR: Thank you OP informative and educating. For the guy that questioned distance let him try this, make a 20cm by 20cm square with a thread, then make different convoluted shapes within the same square with another thread. When he's done , he should remove the 2 threads and measure their distances. He'll discover that the thread that was used to make convolutions within the known border( square) is longer. MeaningNigeria may be about 1200km from Lagos to the end somewhere in Gasua or Portiskum but the road network is Nigeria is well over 140000 yes 140,000Km. The Benin moat may really be that long. Believe in yourself "Blackman know yourself, don't forget your past" Femi Kuti.

"road network" and "perimeter wall" are 2 different things, get it. Network has several roads in it, hence the term network. Here, we're talking of a single stretch of wall
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by omartins(m): 8:13am On Mar 30, 2013
Nice job done. Welldone poster.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Mendo007(m): 8:20am On Mar 30, 2013
Now this is wat i call research! Gud work poster i luv dis
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 8:23am On Mar 30, 2013
aare07:
5. Africa’s oldest known boat is The Dufuna canoe which was discovered in Dufuna village, Yobe state, by a Fulani Herdsman in May 1987, while he dug a well. Various radio-carbon tests conducted in laboratories of reputable universities in Europe and America indicate that the canoe is over 8,000 years old, thus making it the oldest in Africa and 3rd oldest in the world. The discovery of the canoe has completely changed accepted theories of the history and sophistication of marine technology in Africa.

Wow. I remember reading about this fact in JS class.

Nostalgic memories.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 8:27am On Mar 30, 2013
autchman144:

"road network" and "perimeter wall" are 2 different things, get it. Network has several roads in it, hence the term network. Here, we're talking of a single stretch of wall

You didn't get the point made by the poster you'd just quoted. The moat was not exactly straight. There would have been corners and bends. Adding to its total length. It was not exactly a straight line.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by efe22(m): 8:36am On Mar 30, 2013
Ijebulogic:
Sadly when I see a few of the comments that follow (tribal, ignorant and abusive), I realise that it is always Man that causes problems for himself. The positives about this country far outweigh the negatives but we are a people who seem obsessed with tribal issues and sad to say, until we step above tribal sentiments, we will never progress as one country. The USA is made up of dozens of nationalities , but view themselves as American first. This "internet" generation is just as lethal and backward as the civil war generation.
You have spoken well. Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa rat race mentallity has become a torn in the flesh in this country. Nigeria will remain in vicious circle of corruption and backwardness if this demon is not exorcised from her.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by alphaconde(m): 8:39am On Mar 30, 2013
johnwizey: Another fact: Nigeria has the highest number of Agberos and tout in the world grin grin grin

It can be true where jamaica and mexico exists
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by crackhouse(m): 8:43am On Mar 30, 2013
Baseless facts. it's very easy for people to come out and make assumptions on some certain things they can't figure out in their long years of thinking and trying to finding solutions to something that senior their grand papa.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by drzed: 9:00am On Mar 30, 2013
Some Nigerians can be funny irritating.

These are 12 things that are truly wonderful and inspiring about Nigeria that we ought to be pleased about. Nothing shocking, just amazing!

Now, if the OP had posted 12 bad things about Nigeria, the same people whinging, hissing and spitting now will still whinge, hiss and spit.

There is a time for everything. There is a time to complain and to be bitter and there is a time to count your blessings and to be grateful.

To all those who are complaining: if all you do when your work, relationship or business is not going well is to complain, lament and hiss, you better step back once in a while and appreciate having a job, a partner or self employment. Else, you lose everything due to your ingratitude. Especially the partner.

These 12 things wont make boko haram, corruption or PDP disappear overnight. But at least they educate or remind us of our rich heritage. If your child is stubborn or a truant at school and you suddenly find that he is good in sports or art, will you not be grateful for the good in him? And even thank God that you have a child?...and even help him/her excel in what he/she is good at.

The level of cynicism, sadism and negativity in some of us is astonishing.

I was not aware of 90% of these 12 facts. I am at least better educated about Nigeria today than I was yesterday. It seems the Chinese were determined not to be outdone by the Great Wall of Benin, that they 'discovered' some extra kilometers of their wall. LOL.

@OP: these are 12 amazing (and not shocking) things about Nigeria. Edit the title asap! But thanks. Made my day.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by kpozite(m): 9:04am On Mar 30, 2013
johnwizey: Another fact: Nigeria has the highest number of Agberos and tout in the world grin grin grin
like you
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by damola311: 9:05am On Mar 30, 2013
dabrake: If number 5 is true, then we can boldly say the creation of the world, according to the bible, is false.

Mumu.........did you think d world is 2013 years old?......or haven't you heard about research where they will mention 1 billion years ago?.......say something about it.....and maybe you can explain creation of d world according to uur thought!!!
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by toluene12: 9:05am On Mar 30, 2013
autchman144:

the average height of a 70kg man is 1.7m yet the length of the intestine located in his abdomen is 8m.
The benin walls are convoluted like the example given above, its are not a single stretch.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ugonwanneokoye: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2013
When i visited the museum in Argungu town kebbi state.I read about Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi.The man was so strong that he even had a bulletproof vest,that is displayed there with his sword.We were allowed to touch the vest everyone was wondering the sought of technology that was used because it's made of iron and very heavy.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by drzed: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2013
Ijebulogic: Excellent and informative post by the OP

I remain convinced that God loves Nigeria by blessing us with so much heritage, culture and natural resources. Sadly when I see a few of the comments that follow (tribal, ignorant and abusive), I realise that it is always Man that causes problems for himself. The positives about this country far outweigh the negatives but we are a people who seem obsessed with tribal issues and sad to say, until we step above tribal sentiments, we will never progress as one country. The USA is made up of dozens of nationalities , but view themselves as American first. This "internet" generation is just as lethal and backward as the civil war generation.

May God multiply your wisdom and leave it intact for your future generations to download from eternity using galactic bandwidth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Moment Osinbajo Visited Parents Of Precious Owolabi Slain Youth Corps Member / 'The Silent Baron': Osinbajo Attends Premiere Of Nollywood Movie (Pictures) / Happening:thugs Allegedly Sponsored By Tinubu Attempt To Disrupt Lagos PDP Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.