Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria (31908 Views)

Shocking Facts About Nigerian Height Of Poverty & IQ!! / Shocking Facts About Governor Oshiomole In Pictures / Ekiti Election: Shocking Facts Emerged!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by overdrive(m): 9:08am On Mar 30, 2013
[quote author=valicious1]The most useless thread I've ever come across on NL. @op so the only historical fact from the SE is just the presence of a kinnda bird? Asif the whole region was once a hell of a jungle angry u de craze. Infact ur head no koret. abeg no kill me wt laugh this morning help me ask am again.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by PENMIGHT(m): 9:15am On Mar 30, 2013
I am saving this for reference.
aare07: Here are some facts from our common heritage that should make you proud to be called a Nigerian:

1. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth. Taraba state alone has more languages than 30 African countries. The importance of this fact is appreciated when one understands that language is the “soul of culture” (as Ngugi wa Thiongo famously said). It is language that births the proverbs, riddles, stories and other aspects of culture that give us identity. UNESCO puts forward that the world’s languages represents an extraordinary wealth of creativity. Linguistic diversity correlates with cultural diversity. This means Nigeria can look inwards and drive itself to become the greatest hub for cultural tourism on earth, and consequently empower its citizens tremendously in the process.

2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth. They enclose 6500 square kilometers of community lands that connected about 500 communities. At over 16000km long, it was thought to be twice the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012 (after five years of meticulous measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is about 21,000km long.

3. The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world. Igbo-Ora, a little town in Oyo state, has been nicknamed Twin capital of the World because of its unusually high rate of twins that is put as high as 158 twins per 1000 births. In a video I watched last year on YouTube presented by Titi (a white lady who speaks Yoruba), and which was centred on twin births in Igbo-Ora, one of the locals boasted that every family in the town has at least one twin!

4. Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi, was the only ruler who resisted control by Songhai, West Africa’s greatest empire at that time. He founded and ruled the Hausa city-state of Kebbi around 1600 A.D and built Surame its capital, a planned city which was almost impossible to penetrate during war. In fact UNESCO describes Surame as “one of the wonders of human history, creativity and ingenuity”, and probably the most massive stone-walled constructions in West Africa. He is listed in Robin Walker’s 50 Greatest Africans.

5. Africa’s oldest known boat is The Dufuna canoe which was discovered in Dufuna village, Yobe state, by a Fulani Herdsman in May 1987, while he dug a well. Various radio-carbon tests conducted in laboratories of reputable universities in Europe and America indicate that the canoe is over 8,000 years old, thus making it the oldest in Africa and 3rd oldest in the world. The discovery of the canoe has completely changed accepted theories of the history and sophistication of marine technology in Africa.

6. Sungbo’s Eredo, a 160 km rampart equipped with guard houses and moats, is reputed to be the largest single pre-colonial monument (or ancient fortification if you like) in Africa. It is located in present-day Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State and when it was built a millennium ago, it required more earth to be moved during construction than that used for building the Great Pyramid of Giza (one of the Seven Wonders of The Ancient World). The most astonishing thing is that Sungbo’s Eredo was the biggest city in the world (bigger than Rome and Cairo) during the Middle Ages when it was built!

7. Sarki Abdullah Burja of Kano (ruled 1438-1452 AD), the 18th ruler of Ancient Kano, created the first Golden Age in Northern Nigeria and ushered in a period of great prosperity. During his reign, Hausa became the biggest indigenous language spoken in Africa after Swahili. He is on the list of 50

Greatest Africans in Robin Walker’s wonderful book, “When We Ruled”.

8. The Jos Plateau Indigobird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state, Nigeria.

9. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours, is found only in Southern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.

10. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world, and is

also home to sixty percent of Nigeria’s mangrove forests. You should know too that Nigeria’s mangrove forests are the largest in Africa and third largest on earth.

11. According to the World Resources Institute, Nigeria is home to 4,715 different types of plant species, and over 550 species of breeding birds and mammals, making it one of the most ecologically vibrant places of the planet.

12. Ile-Ife, in present day Osun State, was paved as early as 1000AD, with decorations that originated from Ancient America suggesting there might have been contact between the Yorubas and the Ancient Americans half a millenium before Columbus ‘discovered’ America.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/online-special/12-shocking-facts-about-nigeria/
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Sike(m): 9:26am On Mar 30, 2013
Make una clap 9ja!!!
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by autchman144(m): 9:38am On Mar 30, 2013
Tinyemeka:

You didn't get the point made by the poster you'd just quoted. The moat was not exactly straight. There would have been corners and bends. Adding to its total length. It was not exactly a straight line.

ok
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:40am On Mar 30, 2013
Sorry to burst some bubbles but a lot of those claims in the article are embellished or distorted or outright falsehoods.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by pat4love: 9:43am On Mar 30, 2013
Great to know all this but we should also lean how to live in the present ant not in the past.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by autchman144(m): 9:43am On Mar 30, 2013
toluene12:
the average height of a 70kg man is 1.7m yet the length of the intestine located in his abdomen is 8m.
The benin walls are convoluted like the example given above, its are not a single stretch.

ok ok ok, bt surely not 16000km, evn if its all twisted like our intestine. Road network in d entire Edo state isnt evn up to 16000km
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by NessaFresh(f): 9:45am On Mar 30, 2013
MacLovington: .

Issokay Nessafresh...

It's just the hormones.....if you get laid eventually don't forget contraception. This kind "horniness" is odikwa risky.

Haha its all good now tho
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by NessaFresh(f): 9:46am On Mar 30, 2013
shymexx:

Do you like it big, medium, or small grin

Seriously, that's why most chics keep a Love Machine handy in case of all eventualities and when the puss starts dripping like yours is tonight... grin

It's definitely a good good good Friday, mate..
embarassed
shymexx:

Do you like it big, medium, or small grin

Seriously, that's why most chics keep a Love Machine handy in case of all eventualities and when the puss starts dripping like yours is tonight... grin

It's definitely a good good good Friday, mate..
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Adeyemi0(m): 9:49am On Mar 30, 2013
paduskinosa: there was an error with the Edo fact, it is not a wall, it is a moat built to protect the then Benin kingdom.
it was not an error the great wall is used to protect the kingdow against the enimies like the ancient asian empire.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 9:52am On Mar 30, 2013
toluene12:
the average height of a 70kg man is 1.7m yet the length of the intestine located in his abdomen is 8m.
The benin walls are convoluted like the example given above, its are not a single stretch.

God bless you. That's why I am a fanatic of science. Everyone should have a decent level of knowledge of science. It makes you reason both in real and abstract terms.
The wall/moat/rampart in question are actually 2: inner wall and outer wall with several quarters, districts , markets between outer and inner walls. See my earlier posts on this thread.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by tonygee1(m): 10:00am On Mar 30, 2013
fitzkenny: Very interesting to know
me too
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by fruityjojo(f): 10:07am On Mar 30, 2013
ILIDEFI: 2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in
present day Edo State, are the longest ancient
earthworks in the world, and probably the
largest man-made structure on earth. They
enclose 6500 square kilometers of
community lands that connected about 500
communities. At over 16000km long, it was
thought to be twice the length of the Great
Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012
(after five years of meticulous measurement
by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is
about 21,000km long.

@OP; VERY BIG LIE.
To start with, these is no wall of Benin. What we have is the Benin Moat, not wall. Secondly, even if there was a wall, it could never have been 16,000km long. Do you know that the circumference of the earth is just 40,000km? Are you aware that the length of Nigeria from north to south is just 1,100km? How could a wall that surrounds only Benin city be 16,000km long. Same applies to the Great Wall of China.
It is a shame dat with all ur presumed intelligence, U DON'T KNOW d diff betwn a CIRCUMFERENCE nd PERIMETER LENGTH! Go bk 2 JSS1 so u can learn dat circumference refers just 2 outsyd of a circle nd not d surface terrain length! Not so bright after all! undecided
ILIDEFI: 2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in
present day Edo State, are the longest ancient
earthworks in the world, and probably the
largest man-made structure on earth. They
enclose 6500 square kilometers of
community lands that connected about 500
communities. At over 16000km long, it was
thought to be twice the length of the Great
Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012
(after five years of meticulous measurement
by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is
about 21,000km long.

@OP; VERY BIG LIE.
To start with, these is no wall of Benin. What we have is the Benin Moat, not wall. Secondly, even if there was a wall, it could never have been 16,000km long. Do you know that the circumference of the earth is just 40,000km? Are you aware that the length of Nigeria from north to south is just 1,100km? How could a wall that surrounds only Benin city be 16,000km long. Same applies to the Great Wall of China.
It is a shame dat with all ur presumed intelligence, U DON'T KNOW d diff betwn a CIRCUMFERENCE nd PERIMETER LENGTH! Go bk 2 JSS1 so u can learn dat circumference refers just 2 outsyd of a circle nd not d surface terrain length! Not so bright after all!
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:17am On Mar 30, 2013
In my secondary school Maths, I was taught the circumference of this entire earth is 40,000km. Yet some naive people think the Benin wall is roughly half that length.cheesy

Another joke is the claim there was contact a millenia ago with ancient Americans. Really? With which boats and whick knowledge of bearings and sea navigation that could row thousands of miles across the Atlantic? People just absorb spurious quoted facts with no questions.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by eazzzy1(m): 10:26am On Mar 30, 2013
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by basilo101: 10:32am On Mar 30, 2013
ozodigboo:
You are the one who is lying - abeg free the guy joor.
How can you say the earth's circumference is 40,000km ??
Or that the distance from south to north is 1,100 km ??
I dont really know which Geography book you ve been reading.
I know that the distance from Awka ,[ capital of Anambra state ] to the border between Enugu & Ebonyi states is exactly 100km.
Even when travelling at a steady 100km along ds route, on d expressway, on sundays with less traffic, will prove it.
And these 3 states are the smallest in Nigeria [ in terms of land area ].
Now you want me to believe from port-harcourt, up to benue, plateau , and past the far northern states of jigawa to the border with Niger & Chad is just 1,100km ?
Please, Geographers on NL should help.
Thank you.
radius of d earth = 6400km
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MrLee(m): 10:33am On Mar 30, 2013
Very educating for all classes of people
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by obask(m): 10:41am On Mar 30, 2013
Wow...so many tins I nnever knew about my dear country...bt we need to make more research in all
Pls.....read dis link....US must fail in their prediction dat Nigeria will break up..pls read
http://udeozochibuzo./2013/03/29/boko-haram-is-cia-covert-operation-in-nigeria/
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by basilo101: 10:51am On Mar 30, 2013
eazzzy1:

Igbos again,that's y d only thin mentioned about u dere is a bird,if Igbos were in USA,ghana wud b better than USA now.Igbos ko,Igbos ni.Omo ale jati jati
and hw r we sure dis tread does nt originate frm Lagos-Ibadan axis?
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by onuwaje(m): 10:51am On Mar 30, 2013
No doubt God has blessed us wit natural resources, bt I'll lik 2 hear wot wonders Nigerians hav done dat does nt dat as far back as thousands or hundreds of years. What significant improvement has Nigeria made in d last 50yrs dat does nt include rampant poverty,overwhelming corruption n super unemployment? Smh, it is well wit us o
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by victokafor(m): 10:58am On Mar 30, 2013
To add more feather to our Cap, Nigeria is the country with the highest number of most corrupt individuals in the world.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by basilo101: 11:03am On Mar 30, 2013
Hw did Igbo ppl living in asaba n its environs cross d river niger Jst wondering hw d oldest boat was made in d arid region
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by basilo101: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2013
Hw did Igbo ppl living in asaba n its environs cross d river niger Niger deltans had no oda occupation apart frm fishing, bayelsa is almost floating on water. Jst wondering hw d oldest boat was made in d arid region
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Aabheaven(m): 11:25am On Mar 30, 2013
ZUBY77: right
grin
ZUBY77: right
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by obask(m): 11:33am On Mar 30, 2013
Wow...so many tins I nnever knew about my dear country...bt we need to make more research in all
Pls.....read dis link....US must fail in their prediction dat Nigeria will break up..pls read
We r one
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by shreks(m): 11:50am On Mar 30, 2013
Who would have known.
This is good to know about our country.
God bless Nigeria cheesy grin
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by shreks(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2013
obask: Wow...so many tins I nnever knew about my dear country...bt we need to make more research in all
We r one

the link is broken. please fix it.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by dabrake(m): 12:31pm On Mar 30, 2013
damola311:

Mumu.........did you think d world is 2013 years old?......or haven't you heard about research where they will mention 1 billion years ago?.......say something about it.....and maybe you can explain creation of d world according to uur thought!!!
idiot. If you follow your bible well, you will realize that from the creation of the world till date is less than 7000 years and we are talkin' bout a boat of over 8000 years. Oops, I forgot you are just a church goer.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Localamos(m): 12:40pm On Mar 30, 2013
My head was just swelling as I read this thread. God bless Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari: All Ministers With Political Ambitions Must Resign Before May16 / Edo Lawmakers Walk Out Commissioner For Improper Dressing - / The Moment Osinbajo Visited Parents Of Precious Owolabi Slain Youth Corps Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.