Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria (31912 Views)

Shocking Facts About Nigerian Height Of Poverty & IQ!! / Shocking Facts About Governor Oshiomole In Pictures / Ekiti Election: Shocking Facts Emerged!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by vanPELaj(m): 12:52am On Mar 30, 2013
I love this. All we can do for this county is to pray for better tomorrow
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by NessaFresh(f): 12:56am On Mar 30, 2013
shymexx:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Damn!!! Am I the only one who saw this?? - Nessa needs the wrath of D'jango... grin
Hahaha seriously that's why am online ooo. Tryna distract myself. I don't know why am having this feeling on a good friday
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 30, 2013
NessaFresh: Nice To know. Btw Am extremely hor:n.y this night

They don't call me obo_man for no reason....

Where da fuc.k are u gorgeous? Uk,usa or 9ja?
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by NOIBMUUL(m): 1:02am On Mar 30, 2013
aare07:
8. The Jos Plateau Indigobird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state, Nigeria.

9. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours, is found only in Southern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/online-special/12-shocking-facts-about-nigeria/

Also, the Ibadan Malimbe, a small red and black weaver bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by elopee3000(m): 1:10am On Mar 30, 2013
Yoruba people ve been to America even before Christopher Columbus why did they come back? and still white people came to buy slaves from Yoruba land and took them to Brazil ,please tell this story to egun people in badagry not matured guys like us here.there is no African city name in the whole USA .lagos is Portuguese name just like ondo
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Everest9(m): 1:26am On Mar 30, 2013
how do u come across all this info
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 30, 2013
NessaFresh:
Hahaha seriously that's why am online ooo. Tryna distract myself. I don't know why am having this feeling on a good friday

Do you like it big, medium, or small grin

Seriously, that's why most chics keep a Love Machine handy in case of all eventualities and when the puss starts dripping like yours is tonight... grin

It's definitely a good good good Friday, mate..
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 30, 2013
obo_man:

They don't call me obo_man for no reason....

Where da fuc.k are u gorgeous? Uk,usa or 9ja?

Give her!!

Bro, you need to apply pressure...
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by aljharem(m): 1:34am On Mar 30, 2013
elopee3000: Yoruba people ve been to America even before Christopher Columbus why did they come back? and still white people came to buy slaves from Yoruba land and took them to Brazil ,please tell this story to egun people in badagry not matured guys like us here.there is no African city name in the whole USA .lagos is Portuguese name just like ondo

You are not only ignorant but also you showed the world how unintelligent you are by suggesting that Ondo is a Portuguese name

That is 1 now answer this questions

1. Was there any african civilization that conquer USA ? You only get a city named after your civilization either through diplomacy or conquest. Conquest is the most common in those times.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by aljharem(m): 1:37am On Mar 30, 2013
OP add the following

13. First television station in Africa WNTV now known as NTA started in Ibadan by Chief Obafemi Awolowo. This was before France even had theirs.

14. The first modern free education was stated also in Nigeria by Awolowo even before Britain taught of having one as it was not economical in their own terms.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Venchy: 1:41am On Mar 30, 2013
Always proud to be a YORUBA, one of the language that suffers slave trade but survive among the rest, spoken in Brazil(Bahia in Salvador as well as Cuba.

Haven't watched the Video of Titilayo and Kolade on YouTube, (the white folks from United States) gives me a sense of belonging and remind me of my Origin.

Please Let's Embrace our RICH language and stop undermining ourselves

One of the three complete Language in the whole world according to research.

Eje kia gbe ede wa laruge.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 2:00am On Mar 30, 2013
NessaFresh:

Issokay Nessafresh...

It's just the hormones.....if you get laid eventually don't forget contraception. This kind "horniness" is odikwa risky.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by aljharem(m): 2:29am On Mar 30, 2013
Venchy: Always proud to be a YORUBA, one of the language that suffers slave trade but survive among the rest, spoken in Brazil(Bahia in Salvador as well as Cuba.

Haven't watched the Video of Titilayo and Kolade on YouTube, (the white folks from United States) gives me a sense of belonging and remind me of my Origin.

Yes very correct only the Hausa language and the Yoruba Language are the most influential and most complete language in Africa after Swahili. Fact !!!

http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by braveheart2012(m): 2:40am On Mar 30, 2013
Stupid Nigerians pacifying themselves with poorly documented glory days from ancient history.

Stop deceiving yourselves that Nigeria is anything to be proud of. Stand up and fight for your country! Nigeria is a sordid, shameful mess and it's shame that most Nigerians don't know any better.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ekoilee: 3:05am On Mar 30, 2013
braveheart2012: Stupid Nigerians pacifying themselves with poorly documented glory days from ancient history.

Stop deceiving yourselves that Nigeria is anything to be proud of. Stand up and fight for your country! Nigeria is a sordid, shameful mess and it's shame that most Nigerians don't know any better.

Your history and rejoicing your history has nothing to do with you fighting for anything. Even with your success and riches, you still need your history.

Good or bad, your history is your story, its your identity and what your generations draw from.

Again, good or bad, your history is still very very important.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Yeske2(m): 3:15am On Mar 30, 2013
So shameful eko ilee knows this yet one of the worst tribalist on NL.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ekoilee: 3:30am On Mar 30, 2013
Yeske!:
So shameful eko ilee knows this yet one of the worst tribalist on NL.

Don't always judge a book by it's cover..
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 4:04am On Mar 30, 2013
iamswizz: shocking?

Ok, except No.3

Supported. The Benin moat or wall was not built by human hands. It was the result of natural forces that shaped the landscape. Myths arose through superstition and ignorance. In fact the Benin moat is the largest natural moat in the world.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 4:07am On Mar 30, 2013
eko ilee:

Your history and rejoicing your history has nothing to do with you fighting for anything. Even with your success and riches, you still need your history.

Good or bad, your history is your story, its your identity and what your generations draw from.

Again, good or bad, your history is still very very important.

That's right!!
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 4:15am On Mar 30, 2013
braveheart2012: Stupid Nigerians pacifying themselves with poorly documented glory days from ancient history.

Why do you verbally abuse your country men and women? Are really Nigerian?. You've not shown any sense of patriotism, which is the greatest force in changing society. All you displayed was frustration, anger and hatred.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 4:28am On Mar 30, 2013
9jacrip:

Proudly Ife cheesy

May just have been coincidental, so do not rejoice too early. No clear evidence of such contact b/w Yorubas and Americans pre-colonially
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Pesuzok(m): 4:50am On Mar 30, 2013
Agukwu-Nri in Aniocha Local Govt Area Anambra state is d Ancestrial home land of d Igbos.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by 40fied(m): 5:11am On Mar 30, 2013
What is "shocking" about these?
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ozodigboo(m): 5:25am On Mar 30, 2013
ILIDEFI: 2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in
present day Edo State, are the longest ancient
earthworks in the world, and probably the
largest man-made structure on earth. They
enclose 6500 square kilometers of
community lands that connected about 500
communities. At over 16000km long, it was
thought to be twice the length of the Great
Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012
(after five years of meticulous measurement
by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is
about 21,000km long.

@OP; VERY BIG LIE.
To start with, these is no wall of Benin. What we have is the Benin Moat, not wall. Secondly, even if there was a wall, it could never have been 16,000km long. Do you know that the circumference of the earth is just 40,000km? Are you aware that the length of Nigeria from north to south is just 1,100km? How could a wall that surrounds only Benin city be 16,000km long. Same applies to the Great Wall of China.
You are the one who is lying - abeg free the guy joor.
How can you say the earth's circumference is 40,000km ??
Or that the distance from south to north is 1,100 km ??
I dont really know which Geography book you ve been reading.
I know that the distance from Awka ,[ capital of Anambra state ] to the border between Enugu & Ebonyi states is exactly 100km.
Even when travelling at a steady 100km along ds route, on d expressway, on sundays with less traffic, will prove it.
And these 3 states are the smallest in Nigeria [ in terms of land area ].
Now you want me to believe from port-harcourt, up to benue, plateau , and past the far northern states of jigawa to the border with Niger & Chad is just 1,100km ?
Please, Geographers on NL should help.
Thank you.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by Sundex70: 5:35am On Mar 30, 2013
Interestin, but wud av been beta if corruption is reduced 2 d bearest minimum
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by ozodigboo(m): 5:40am On Mar 30, 2013
Venchy: Always proud to be a YORUBA, one of the language that suffers slave trade but survive among the rest, spoken in Brazil(Bahia in Salvador as well as Cuba.

The Igbo ancestors who were taken as slaves went to USA - God's own country.
The Iyoruba slaves were dumped in Brazil to procreate more slaves for the plantations - because of the high rate of twins productions.
thats why most Brazilian blacks look like Iyoruba.
Ramires - Chelsea, Anderson - Manchester United.
Ramires has tribal marks - check his profile on Google.
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 5:45am On Mar 30, 2013
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by chukxie(m): 5:49am On Mar 30, 2013
Quite an interesting and educative article. I wish our almost non-existent government will do something to salvage our cultural treasures and monuments, and preserve them for posterity like it's done in other countries. People travel from far and wide to see the Great Wall of China! How many tourists- local and international go to Benin to see the moat of Benin?
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 5:59am On Mar 30, 2013
ILIDEFI: 2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in
present day Edo State, are the longest ancient
earthworks in the world, and probably the
largest man-made structure on earth. They
enclose 6500 square kilometers of
community lands that connected about 500
communities. At over 16000km long, it was
thought to be twice the length of the Great
Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012
(after five years of meticulous measurement
by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is
about 21,000km long.

@OP; VERY BIG LIE.
To start with, these is no wall of Benin. What we have is the Benin Moat, not wall. Secondly, even if there was a wall, it could never have been 16,000km long. Do you know that the circumference of the earth is just 40,000km? Are you aware that the length of Nigeria from north to south is just 1,100km? How could a wall that surrounds only Benin city be 16,000km long. Same applies to the Great Wall of China.

Just because you don't know doesn't make it untrue. So you think ancient chinese were more hardworking or smarter than our ancestors?

A few people here find it difficult to accept the greatness of Old Benin Empire. But I will advice you to visit the following museums: British Museum London, Museum fuer Volkerkunde Berlin, Musee des Arts d'Afrique et d'Oceanie in Paris. I have visited all and many more. Maybe then you will truly see that it is at home that a prophet has no honour.
Now a brief lesson.

The fortresses surrounding Benin were two. The inner wall/rampart/moat and the outer wall/rampart/moat.

The inner wall/rampart and moats encircled the new palace, old Ogiso palace, Ogbe/palace chiefs Quarters and Town chiefs' quarters. The outer wall encircled Uzebu/Ezomo, Oliha, Ero, Oloton Quarters etc. Edaiken/Crown prince's and Queen Mother's quarters were outside the outer wall/rampart and moat. And there is logic/history behind these locations which I will leave out for lack of space.

The walls were very high so that even if you managed to climb it to jump inside, you will find yourself inside a moat which was a few story buildings deep in places.

Considering that the walls were built with sand and clay (not stone or mortar), rain washed down what was left by war destruction in 1897 others were used to build houses by locals post-1897. Sand walls have to be rapaired/maintained like mud houses. If not they disappear.

They were not built overnight. Estimates (carbon/forensic dating) suggest that they were built from about 800AD (Ogiso era) to about 1450AD (Oba Ewuare The Great era).
If you were around in the 1970s, you would have seen both the moat and some wall remnants at Iyaro (the Eros (ducal family) of Iyaro or "Iya Ero" happen to be my relatives as are the Ezomos (ducal family), among others). Another good place to see it was near Edo College even in the 1980s.

You think Europeans can just ascribe good things to Africans without proper research?

1 Like

Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by kuss: 6:08am On Mar 30, 2013
We are celebrating history what are we doing about the present
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 6:15am On Mar 30, 2013
kuss: We are celebrating history what are we doing about the present

One reason we are not doing much now is lack of confidence in our abilities. We think of ourselves as perpertual failures. Once we believe we can do it and do it well (as our ancestors once did), maybe more people will buy Innoson vehicles instead of KIA. That will encourage more local businessmen to venture into more than just buying and selling..
Re: 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria by laykhorn(m): 6:30am On Mar 30, 2013
Proudly Nigerian!

Is it 'Stand Up Nigeria' or 'Wake Up, the infallible giant of Africa'

Nigeria is really great.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Items Distributed By Senator Akpabio At His Constituency Briefing (Photos) / EU Raises Concern Over Independence Of INEC / Victims Of Gombe Bomb Blast In Hospital (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.