Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? (8603 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? / Why Is Easter Day Celebration Not Fixed Like Christmas On 25th Dec.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by timowale: 12:07pm On Mar 31, 2013
Christmas the birth of our Saviour and Lord&Easter,the whole essence of christian faith.The latter ought to be highly celebrated than the former.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by pekelepekele(m): 12:15pm On Mar 31, 2013
@ op the question is why are you not celebrating Easter like Christmas , it all depends on how it appears to you.
To me it all depends on your pocket my best friend last year Christmas wasn't a good one for him but this Easter time he flew to Istanbul Turkey to enjoy the Easter Holiday
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by oluMyderz(m): 12:18pm On Mar 31, 2013
Oo boy...c confusion here sha. Ihdina sirata-l mustaqim!
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Gabrielsylar(m): 12:19pm On Mar 31, 2013
because hells gate is wide open
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by megareal: 12:27pm On Mar 31, 2013
Because easter is more solemn. Its a time for sober reflection on the cross and its work while Xmas is a time for rejoicing. Birth brings happiness
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by anthay: 12:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
If people knw the signifance of easter, dey ll give it more attention to xmas wia all dey do is to eat and wia new dress mtchewwww. We need to change d@ orrientation!
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by tete7000(m): 12:30pm On Mar 31, 2013
what is celebrated at Easter started with Christmas. During Christmas, we celebrated Christ becoming one like us to accomplish his triumph on the cross during the Easter. Without Christmas, there would be no Easter. Even the scripture reported that the hosts of angels erupted in rejoicing when Christ was born. The shepherds and the maggi also all came to worship a king that was born in the manger on the Christmas morning. So during Christmas we have God becoming one like us primarily to accomplish the greatest triumph of the cross. It was what many prophets of old had wish they could witness. So for those of us who witness Christ birth, it is a special privilege hence the pomp and pageantry that accompanies Christmas.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by BrutusOj(m): 12:34pm On Mar 31, 2013
eeniak: Simple question~
Christmas is 4 d birth of Jesus Christ; While Easther is 4 d ressuration of Jesus Christ.
witout d death,his coming wud av been insignificant,without his coming,he wudnt av die as well..I tink if we agree wit celebratin his birth on 25th december,dn we shud giv dsame attention to Easter cos dat is why we r stil alive
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by PHC4(m): 12:42pm On Mar 31, 2013
Both feasts are scriptural! Pls read your bible and don't be misled by the ancient instructions of the Roman government. embarassed
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by AdeniyiA(m): 12:50pm On Mar 31, 2013
Dygeasy: Wtf!

God once died? Like seriously?

I don't think you really typed this!
my word is me n i am my word.
the word of God is Jesus.
John 1: 14,says d word was made flesh.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by econome(m): 12:50pm On Mar 31, 2013
...And the bible says day of death is greater than day of birth
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Abrantie: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2013
ochukoccna:
Anyone heard of Black Friday? shocked shocked
What is black to mark a period that leaves most people accounts in the red after the Christmas season? grin grin

Black Friday is when business accounts go from being in the red to black.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by tete7000(m): 12:58pm On Mar 31, 2013
PHC4: Both feasts are scriptural! Pls read your bible and don't be misled by the ancient instructions of the Roman government. embarassed
And what if I decided to go with the Roman government? How do you explain all the noise and celebration the scripture reported heralded Christ' birth. Sometimes, I really wonder if some of you who claim to have so much knowledge of your scripture really have time to critically look at the bible's report of stories. When Christ was born the angels erupted in rejoicing shouting "Hossana in the highest and peace to men of goodwill". The shepherd who were watching the sheep were suddenly engulfed in great light and angels came to announce to them that a king had been born. The three wise men were likewise informed of Christ's birth. Simon at the temple on the dedication of Christ in the temple was filled with joy to have seen the Messiah during his time. That old woman who also came into the temple at that time couldn't contain her joy. With Christ's birth, the scripture reported there was so much rejoicing. For over 4000years, human race had awaited the birth of a Messiah and when it finally came, it was certain he was around for one thing: To redeem man from sin. So man you see Christmas is the beginning of man release from the clause of sin. Without Christmas, there could be no Easter and with Christmas, it was certain Easter will definitely and surely come. Please stop reading your scripture upside down and stop this delusion of yours that only you understand it. Maybe you don't even have a pinch of understanding of what the entire salvation is all about. St. Paul told us "that in the ancient times, God spoke to our fathers through the prophet but during our time he spoke to us through his son". So Christ before he even went up to the cross taught us how to reach God.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Lero15(m): 1:17pm On Mar 31, 2013
CoxyB: Xmas commermorates d birth of Christ, which majority of us celebrates our own birthday,how much more Chrst's birthday. While easter signifies d death n ressurection of our Lord Jesus Christ- which is nt a time 4 merriment,its a time 2 retreat back 2 Christ 4 a wonderful prize he paid 4d redemption of mankind
on d contrary, d resurrection o Christ shd b a good news for us cos we r free frm death & sins...wot if Jesus decided nt to die for us? Remember he said 'let dis cup pass over me...' then later 'let thy will b done'. Easter also calls for celebration.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by tete7000(m): 1:17pm On Mar 31, 2013
econome: ...And the bible says day of death is greater than day of birth
Just like the same bible reported there was so much rejoicing at the birth of the Messiah.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2013
ijawkid:

Xmas has always been what it is from its iÑception......pagan all the way and §atanic........nothing you gu.ys do can change it.......

Abeg which early chri§tians u deÝ talk about for your comment??.......which ones??.......thÉ pseudo ones wey Ðey worship images or the ones wey we kÑow from thÉ scriptures...cheesy....because as we know the Çelebration of xmas Ño even exist among early christians.....cheesy

CRUCIFY HIM, CRUCIFY HIM, CRUCIFY HIM - DATS THE KIND OF RESPONSE U ARE GONNA GET FROM MOST PEOPLE HERE FOR HAVING THE EFFRONTERY TO TELL THEM THE BITTER TRUTH. JUST WATCH grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by simdam500(m): 2:13pm On Mar 31, 2013
D distance between christmas to easter no long @ all some neve pay school fees finish sef... Soo, no need for too much spendin. JESUS died and he's risen already
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by monex(m): 2:17pm On Mar 31, 2013
ijawkid:

Xmas has always been what it is from its iÑception......pagan all the way and §atanic........nothing you gu.ys do can change it.......

Abeg which early chri§tians u deÝ talk about for your comment??.......which ones??.......thÉ pseudo ones wey Ðey worship images or the ones wey we kÑow from thÉ scriptures...cheesy....because as we know the Çelebration of xmas Ño even exist among early christians.....cheesy

World pipo nor go read comment well before dem type. The guy was saying tat early xtians were scared on dat day as it was a pagan worship day. He never said early xtians celebrated it.

i never knew there were two early xtians or that one faction was worshiping images.

rationality and objectivity is not so elusive.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2013
Christmas has been rebranded: end of year party. It`s all in the timing and the reason for the season has little to do with it.

People are more inclined to make a spectacle out of Christmas since it comes at the end of the year - when we take inventory of our gains, successes, bonuses and so on.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Reference(m): 2:44pm On Mar 31, 2013
'Celebration' or marking of events is strange to scripture. These things were smuggled into Christianity as a by-product of whatever rituals they converted from at that time.

There is no santa claus, spruce trees, jingle bells in the bible while to carry the cross about depicting Jesus on it is technically incorrect. (they should rather be demonstrating the risen Christ).

Are these practices ungodly? To the extent that the celebrations donot become 'gods' unto themselves, no. Are the necessarx, no. Real christians celebrate Jesus everyday. With God everyday is Christmas.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Reference(m): 3:04pm On Mar 31, 2013
PHC4: Both feasts are scriptural! Pls read your bible and don't be misled by the ancient instructions of the Roman government. embarassed

I hope you're not speaking about Christmas and Easter because is very clear about things. In the old testaments he outlined in detailed ordinances every feast his people - the Jews were to perform.

If feasting in the new testament was as cardinal as it is today it will be clearly stated. We should not confuse one-off 'live' events with ordinances. The fact that baby Jesus was given gifts is not an ordinance. Jesus is no longer a baby, neither is he a man anymore, neither is he on the cross or in the grave. His residential address is in heaven and he speaks to you through his spirit alway.

The things he asks us to do always in remembrance of him are clear - the communion, not easter 'celebrations'.

Once more, it is not of sin if you don't know. Just make sure it doesn't become a god, a yoke unto you.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Toluth(m): 3:10pm On Mar 31, 2013
Though in a way, easter should be celebrated more because it explains the origin of Christianity. I mean, the resurrection of Jesus Christ led to the development of Christianity today.
The main reason why it is less celebrated than Xmas is mainly cos of the fact that our colonial masters(white generally) does not really celebrate it and since we only 'worship' them it is just normal to not celebrate it like them. I think the period also has a little to do with it.
Those that are conversant with farming would know that this is famine period cos food crops like yam and maize are still inside the soil unlike xmas period that farmers are harvesting, so there is much food during xmas period and also xmas is just a week to new year(newyear is celebrated by everyone)so the whole thing kinda just click together.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Reference(m): 3:19pm On Mar 31, 2013
Its like some of the mainstream pentecostal churches hold their annual conventions in december with each assembly its own peculiarities. In generations to come if the lord tarries and such programs grow into institutions the same arguments will be made about them about their source and scriptural authenticity.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2013
Both are not even scriptural celebrations.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 31, 2013
Reference:

I hope you're not speaking about Christmas and Easter because is very clear about things. In the old testaments he outlined in detailed ordinances every feast his people - the Jews were to perform.

If feasting in the new testament was as cardinal as it is today it will be clearly stated. We should not confuse one-off 'live' events with ordinances. The fact that baby Jesus was given gifts is not an ordinance. Jesus is no longer a baby, neither is he a man anymore, neither is he on the cross or in the grave. His residential address is in heaven and he speaks to you through his spirit alway.

The things he asks us to do always in remembrance of him are clear - the communion, not easter 'celebrations'.

Once more, it is not of sin if you don't know. Just make sure it doesn't become a god, a yoke unto you.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES- U ARE SO ON POINT.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by Richieboyn: 3:31pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ijogz K: You finally got a BB Congrat newbie, from their fonts we shall know them..

He's not even using a BB
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by ijawkid(m): 3:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
Tropilo:

Olodo rabata!

Na wetin? angry
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by ijawkid(m): 3:46pm On Mar 31, 2013
Richieboyn:

He's not even using a BB

Riichie na wetin I do u? cheesy
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by ijawkid(m): 3:53pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ubenedictus: I just imagine say u be dey wait make i post before you quote me. do you even know its inception?

christmas is no pagan holiday, christian were already celebrating 25th as christmas before d pagans highjacked d feast to celebrate sol invinctus.
For d rest, i no get your time.
shocked
angry
What are u saying?....what!.....from ur comment we can then assume that the apostles and Jesus celebrated xmas abi,since its now d pagans who snatched both d date and d customs associated with xmas.......if you like dey there dey lie.
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by vision2050: 4:01pm On Mar 31, 2013
CoxyB: Xmas commermorates d birth of Christ, which majority of us celebrates our own birthday,how much more Chrst's birthday. While easter signifies d death n ressurection of our Lord Jesus Christ- which is nt a time 4 merriment,its a time 2 retreat back 2 Christ 4 a wonderful prize he paid 4d redemption of mankind
so on point. But many dont believe Christ died, they think he only pretended ask the Jews or those who pratice Islam, they believe ISA or YESHUA was given birth to but he never died as christain proclaim. But to me he died and ressurected().
The population of those who celebrate Xmas is more suprieor to Easter festive because the Jewish, Moslem, Christain recongnise the Birth of Christ compare to his death. (only christain celebrate Easter)

My opinion.........
Re: Why Is Easter Not Really Celebrated Like Christmas? by GalaxyNoteII: 4:22pm On Mar 31, 2013
No gifts.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Things That Don't Add Up In The Bible / How To Be Led By The Spirit Of God As A Christian Today / Listen To Pastor Adeboye's Preaching Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.