Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty (27467 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / Boko Haram: Amnesty And The Quran / Should FG Grant Boko-Haram Amnesty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 05, 2013
Emperor_007:

^^^

No sentiment, they would take order from the president, yes.

But the impression is that both the military and innocent civilians killed, the wish of majority would be taken for granted.

Be sincere for a second, straight question ( yes or no answer ):

Do you think it's right and justified to grant amnesty to Boko Haram?

If you'r asked to choose between amnesty leading to immediate peace and another 5 to 10yrs of fighting and killings, which will you choose? Answer pls!

If 99% of northerners, who are directly affected by the insurgency, are asking for amnesty, what would you have done if you were the president?

It is a well known FACT that any govt policy, programme or action that lacks support of the community is DEAD ON ARRIVAL. If the northerners are all asking for amnesty and the president insist on force, how will the force succeed? How will force succeed without cooperation of the community? Also remember that even majority of the solders that will face Boko haram are northerners.

Even if the amnesty does not eventually bring peace, atleast subsequent actions of the president will be JUSTIFIED and enjoy support of more northerners.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks: Some of these military chiefs should remember that they take orders from the commander in chief and that military rule is over. GEJ needs to make an example of a few of them by retiring them instantly.

GEJ should retire them for airing their opinion?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nduchucks: 9:58am On Apr 05, 2013
careytommy:

That !diot, ndu chucks, probably never knew they are political appointees. In essence they are politicians.

I don't have time to educate dolts like you this morning so I will only provide you the following information:

Army chief: Lieutenant-General O.A. Ihejirika
Chief of defense staff: Vice Admiral O.S. Ibrahim
Navy Chief: Rear Admiral D.J. Ezeoba
Air Force Chief: Air Vice Marshal A.S. Badeh

Reach your own conclusion in shame, olodo.

I am quite sure that Badeh(from Adamawa state) and Vice Admiral Ibrahim are too bright to express any outrage and/or criticism about their Commander-In-Chief on this matter. That leaves Ihejirika and Rear Admiral D. J. Ezeoba.

Now, Rear Admiral Dele Joseph Ezeoba was born in Jos, Plateau State although he hails from Ibusa in Oshimili- North Local Government Area of Delta State. So for obvious reasons, he will not show any public outrage or opposition to GEJ on this issue.

That leaves Ihejirika. Ihejirika should be retired immediately if not sacked outright. He has done enough.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 10:18am On Apr 05, 2013
To an extent I agree with GEJ. Grant them amnesty with conditions.

I do not think that the hardcore members of Boko Haram are interested in any amnesty. However, you can use an amnesty offer to lure the weaker and fringe elements, who might be able to deliver vital intelligence to you. This might also cause a split in the group and weaken it.

However, the main condition that should be attached to the amnesty is that the members of Boko Haram must lay down their arms and disclose the sources of their weapons and funding. Again, as it was in the Niger-Delta amnesty deal, amnesty should not be granted to anyone who has murdered or been involved in the murder of another person.

The military chiefs also have a point (and a huge job to do). It is not easy to tell the ranks that, after their colleagues have been killed and they have faced great difficulty, they now have to accept Boko Haram members as regular citizens of Nigeria. If the announcement is not handled well, it could lead to a mutiny.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks: Some of these military chiefs should remember that they take orders from the commander in chief and that military rule is over. GEJ needs to make an example of a few of them by retiring them instantly.

With your blackened gworro teeth, if you are insinuating Ihejirika should be removed, I guarantee you have failed shamefully
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Remii(m): 10:19am On Apr 05, 2013
Their outrage is expected. they are trained and paid to kill while politicians are elected to rule and make life worthy of existence.\Military, are suppose to follow orders from CinC simple. They are not designed to think thats why Fela called them Zombie. so They should obey order as professionals and follow the new rule of engagement. War are never won in the battles. It is very unfortunate that our President made the kind of statement he made in Maiduguri, he could have said the same thing in diffrent way.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by audacious: 10:21am On Apr 05, 2013
Of cause any move to broker peace will upset the Military Chiefs.....peace means an end to Large Security Votes, huge defense contracts, allocation for checkpoints, patrols, JTF e.t.c. I pose a question, who do you think benefits the most when there is crisis in the country?

*Remember, money spent during such periods seldom get's scrutinized.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I don't have time to educate dolts like you this morning so I will only provide you the following information:

I am quite sure that Badeh(from Adamawa state) and Vice Admiral Ibrahim are too bright to express any outrage and/or criticism about their Commander-In-Chief on this matter. That leaves Ihejirika and Rear Admiral D. J. Ezeoba.

Now, Rear Admiral Dele Joseph Ezeoba was born in Jos, Plateau State although he hails from Ibusa in Oshimili- North Local Government Area of Delta State. So for obvious reasons, he will not show any public outrage or opposition to GEJ on this issue.

That leaves Ihejirika. Ihejirika should be retired immediately if not sacked outright. He has done enough.

You are a foolish mallam. Come and sack him nau. Dirty mallam
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Symphony007: 10:23am On Apr 05, 2013
Non of you talking rubbish here live in one of those bomb zones, that's why you're here tearing into a president for putting his people first. The military have proved to be incompetent in stopping the killings so while the government keeps a stiff upper lip and keep promising boko haram eradication, more people are dying in the north, and you sit in your comfy environment in one safe city and advocate for more innocent in the hot zone to die. Let it be on record that this president did "EVERYTHING" and explored all "OPTION" to save nigerian lives.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 10:25am On Apr 05, 2013
HNosegbe:

GEJ should retire them for airing their opinion?

Actually, that's what Obasanjo did to Victor Malu (although I didn't agree with his decision). Victor Malu had reservations about the american assistance that Obasanjo had gotten for the military (the americans wanted to see our contingency plans, but Victor Malu felt that the plans should be a state secret. Obasanjo sacked Malu almost immediately).

Shagari failed to sack Buhari when Buhari failed to withdraw from Chad as instructed (Buhari explained, in an interview this year, that he didn't disobey the order, but that it took time to withdraw from Chad). We know what happened afterwards.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 05, 2013
As long as the source of this post is Saharareporters, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by LEvuls(m): 10:29am On Apr 05, 2013
So oga presido don de tek advise from Cattle rearerzcheesy
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 10:30am On Apr 05, 2013
The problem is not with the military chiefs, neither is it about "security budget". These guys will have to go to the barracks and explain the amnesty deal to the troops. Historically, making these kinds of announcements have never been easy. You are telling a soldier, who has lost his best friend and encountered hardship during operations, to forget about all that and protect former boko haram members, because they are now innocent citizens of Nigeria. It could lead to a mutiny if it's not handled properly.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by kabba7(m): 10:31am On Apr 05, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Those milittary thiefs are scared of the stoppage of. Monthly special allocation for aallowances ĄЙd̶̲̥̅̊ feeding too bad for them. One of their of own avenue for looting is closing up
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 05, 2013
ckkris:

No, it's not. Core North and some South-west are actively trying to frustrate and destroy President Jonathan's Govt. And they're not hiding it.

President Jonathan actively sought to destroy his own Govt. from day 1, and he never hid it.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nduchucks: 10:38am On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2: The problem is not with the military chiefs, neither is it about "security budget". These guys will have to go to the barracks and explain the amnesty deal to the troops. Historically, making these kinds of announcements have never been easy. You are telling a soldier, who has lost his best friend and encountered hardship during operations, to forget about all that and protect former boko haram members, because they are now innocent citizens of Nigeria. It could lead to a mutiny if it's not handled properly.

I don't fully agree that the Chiefs have to go to the barrack and explain the amnesty deal. The only explanation necessay is that, the Commander-In-Chief has ordered us to ........end of story. People who have never been in the army or any other service do not appreciate what Orders mean. When you are ordered, you follow those orders, period. It is the responsibility of the Chiefs to make sure that they know potential mutineers and control them effectively. BTW: It is not easy to carry out mutiny in Nigeria today, thanks to OBJ.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Dee60: 10:38am On Apr 05, 2013
Arise oh committee.....!
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nduchucks: 10:39am On Apr 05, 2013
Tusky44:

You are a foolish mallam. Come and sack him nau. Dirty mallam

Egbe ndi Bornu piafuka gi isi.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by otokx(m): 10:40am On Apr 05, 2013
still wondering
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by asha80(m): 10:41am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

you are a sentimental fool.until you bring proof that what you just wrote is what happened as per direction of argurement then you are a cretin.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 05, 2013
I still stand my position that Amnesty should not be given to Ghosts.
For any amnesty to work;
1. Members of Boko-Haram and their families must be known, their residential addresses collated.
2. There must be 3 months cease fire
3. They will not be provided any financial gains, except just skills acquisition excluding aeronautical trainings.

Without the above conditions, there is no sincerity. About the military being angry, it is expected, cos the top brass of the military make money from the war games while pushing the junior officers to the risky fronts.

Regarding the two-face opposition including Sahara Reporters, I can only say I am ashamed of them; When GEJ said no Amnesty for Boko Haram, they went ballistic insulting him for not granting Amnesty. Now he is considering the Amnesty and they are going ballistic calling him a wavering president. Confused APC supporters, APC isnt even registered, dont know what to call you guys...oh, I remember..NEMATODES!
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

EWU gworro, He will never be retired until he has ballanced the military, are u not aware some hausa officers are also aiding the boko boiz. Nnama
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 05, 2013
omenka:

Thank God I never voted that skunk!

A camelleon changes its colours less frequently than this man changes his mind.

I bet the flip flops he wore until his adulthood in Utuoke are having a profound effect on his mental capacity.

Does he have any idea what signal is he sending the regular guy on the streets with such a decision? How do the victims of the violence get closure for the horrific tragedies that they might have witnessed? Some of them hand their wives, sisters, mothers, and daughters raped and killed in their presence!
It is only in Nigeria where you find victims being forgotten whereas the criminal and murderer is embraced, pardoned, and above all, COMPENSATED!!

Government rewards crime handsomely in this part of the world!!
GEJ is not negotiating for the Nigerians people, he is negotiating for his own life. Ever since the Emir of Kano--- a Northern Nigerian Spiritual leader--- was touched, GEJ has finally realized the seriousness at hand; Boko Haram will get him whenever the opportunity presents its self. But with amnesty he buys himself time, and one less group of enemies to worry about.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 05, 2013
all in all, He's the C-in-C so the army can stfu!
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 10:45am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I don't fully agree that the Chiefs have to go to the barrack and explain the amnesty deal. The only explanation necessay is that, the Commander-In-Chief has ordered us to ........end of story. People who have never been in the army or any other service do not appreciate what Orders mean. When you are ordered, you follow those orders, period. It is the responsibility of the Chiefs to make sure that they know potential mutineers and control them effectively. BTW: It is not easy to carry out mutiny in Nigeria today, thanks to OBJ.

In public, orders are orders. Behind the scenes, orders could lead to reactions. Listen to General Danjuma talk about how he had to calm the troops after Ifeajuna's mutiny and after Gowon announced that he would no longer hand over power in 1975. Even Obasanjo, as civilian president, had to tour formations to speak with junior soldiers. In public, orders are orders. Behind the scenes, orders could lead to reactions.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2:

Actually, that's what Obasanjo did to Victor Malu (although I didn't agree with his decision). Victor Malu had reservations about the american assistance that Obasanjo had gotten for the military (the americans wanted to see our contingency plans, but Victor Malu felt that the plans should be a state secret. Obasanjo sacked Malu almost immediately).

Shagari failed to sack Buhari when Buhari failed to withdraw from Chad as instructed (Buhari explained, in an interview this year, that he didn't disobey the order, but that it took time to withdraw from Chad). We know what happened afterwards.

Hmmm.... I wonder what the Americans needed our contingency plans for. Espionage/intel perhaps? Maybe Malu's reservations were justified?

Anyway, I think I'll go with your viewpoint. Amnesty should not be granted in a blanket manner but should be targeted ONLY at those elements willing to defect and provide vital intelligence that will help uncover their backers (domestic and foreign). Another ploy could be for the JTF to engage in several more raids on BH hideouts in order to help the government negotiate the deal from a position of strength.

But above all we need to look at the big picture. Nigeria has a foundational, structural problem. In fact the palpable sense of injustice and failure of government to meet the legitimate aspirations of Nigerians may produce even worse Boko Harams in future, if these foundational issues are addressed. I still insist that a Sovereign National Conference to discuss the future of this country is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to prevent the rise of more insurgents/militant groups in future. We need justice, both in reality and perception.

Let's see how it plays out.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by cman77(m): 10:48am On Apr 05, 2013
I have never seing anywhere in d world where amnesty is granted to terrorists.I recommend 4 those who have nt watched d movie '24' shud go and do so.amnesty will nt work.a suicide bomber mite even b sent to destroy Gej on d flagoff day of d amnesty programme and return leadership to d north.even d ND amnesty has nt bin a complete success.ok wat has d death of muhammed yusuf got to do wit d bombin of UN buildin in abuja? Terrorism is a global security threat.however naija's case has a lot of undertones.I suggest we do a referendum jst like in sudan nd breakup peacefully.an objective investigation will reveal dat some of those clamourin 4 amnesty r members or supporters of BH.some of d high nd mighty in d north mite b part of them.another issue is dat der is so much impunity in nigeria.dis is d bane of d fight against corruption,BH etc in nig.I still restate my humble suggestion,let's breakup! I rest my case.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Policewoman(f): 10:48am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Jonathan is not dull enough to remove his only insurance against the northern troublemakers.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Elgaxton(m): 10:48am On Apr 05, 2013
Well I think the Generals know who this Boko Haram people are to an extent.
The president can label them ghosts but the Generals shouldn't same cos THEY KNOW.
Make dem go watch 24, dem go know wetin to do at the right time
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by katordidi(m): 10:48am On Apr 05, 2013
niger delta militants demanded amnesty as a condition for laying down thier arms. What are we going to get from granting amnesty to a faceless nonnegotiable boko haram. Mr president pls take lessons from obama and bush on how to tackle terrorism
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by hikmoj(m): 10:49am On Apr 05, 2013
Ogbonaikenna: Jonathan just lost south eastern votes. What a shame.
if it were nt like dis we wont knw wot most of u put 4belle,so u're jst afta politics not peace.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Policewoman(f): 10:49am On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2: To an extent I agree with GEJ. Grant them amnesty with conditions.

I do not think that the hardcore members of Boko Haram are interested in any amnesty. However, you can use an amnesty offer to lure the weaker and fringe elements, who might be able to deliver vital intelligence to you. This might also cause a split in the group and weaken it.

However, the main condition that should be attached to the amnesty is that the members of Boko Haram must lay down their arms and disclose the sources of their weapons and funding. Again, as it was in the Niger-Delta amnesty deal, amnesty should not be granted to anyone who has murdered or been involved in the murder of another person.

The military chiefs also have a point (and a huge job to do). It is not easy to tell the ranks that, after their colleagues have been killed and they have faced great difficulty, they now have to accept Boko Haram members as regular citizens of Nigeria. If the announcement is not handled well, it could lead to a mutiny.
For once I find myself liking your comment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Marwa Alleges Plan To Manipulate Election Results In Southeast, South South / Adebo Ogundoyin Becomes Speaker Oyo Assembly At 32 Years (Photos) / Gunman Arrested In Kaduna Found With A Brigadier-general's Complimentary Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.