Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty (27470 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / Boko Haram: Amnesty And The Quran / Should FG Grant Boko-Haram Amnesty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by BashMe1(m): 11:38am On Apr 05, 2013
Zakkyoz: It's very pathetic. I weep for my dear country

[size=20pt]Jes like Buhari had warned... This country is in deep shiiiitttt![/size]
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Policewoman(f): 11:45am On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Our trouble in this country is truly rooted in extreme tribalism. A lot of people think that the Military Chiefs who are not from the SE or SS, are by definition, not pro GEJ or will by default be unsupportive of GEJ. That is not really true.

Unless they believe that GEJ is truly clueless and dumb, the Chiefs would have to support his decisions on this most sensitive issue of BH 100%. The Army Chief (we know who) who is expressing the anger in question is not exactly acting like GEJ's insurance at this moment.

If GEJ pours billions into the region and we see real development and the uplifting of the spirits of the youths in the Northern region, improved employment, and stability, because of the amnesty, GEJ will be returned to Aso rock in a landslide victory.
So you think. But if i may ask, is the north (by the collaboration of d northern heads of states) not already more advantaged financially than the rest of the country? Don't they have more states and lgas? Kano alone has 44 LGAs compared to bayelsa with just 8. What hav their governors done so far with all the money at their disposal? Do u now think pumping more trillions will make any difference since they have already rejected Western Education in its entirety?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Policewoman(f): 11:45am On Apr 05, 2013
ALL OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE HIDDEN!
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by arantess: 11:45am On Apr 05, 2013
gymer: A new plan by President Goodluck Jonathan to grant amnesty to members of the violent Boko Haram sect has upset Nigeria’s military chiefs.

Sources at the Presidential Villa, where the military brass met with the President for several hours today, said they tried in vain to convince Mr. Jonathan not to fall into the trap that has been set for him by prominent northern leaders on the issue.

They were said to have told him the security implications of the action and that it could also be interpreted to mean that the President is not a man of his word. Mr. Jonathan has flip-flopped on federal policy against Boko Haram since he took office in 2010.

The military bosses reminded him of his words when he visited Borno State a few weeks ago when he said that there was no way he would grant amnesty to ghosts, stressing that nothing has changed. Mr. Jonathan once said there were members of Boko Haram in his government, but it is not clear if they are still ghosts or he has identified them.

He was also said to have been reminded that many of their men and other security officers have been indiscriminately killed, warning him that telling the rank and file the decision on amnesty could ignite anger in the barracks.

At the end of the lengthy discussion, which lasted for five hours, the President had his way against the genuine advice of the military chiefs, except one. He set up a committee to handle the issue of amnesty.

The committee, whose members are yet to be announced, is to work with the office of the National Security Adviser.

A Presidential source said that the committee will consider the feasibility or otherwise of granting pardon to the Boko Haram members and collate the views of those clamouring for amnesty, as well as recommend modalities for the granting of pardon should such a policy be adopted.

President Jonathan seems to have adopted the argument of the northern elements after meeting with some of their prominent members in Abuja on Wednesday night. Although today he seem highly disposed to the amnesty idea, he is known to change his mind fairly easily.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/military-chiefs-outraged-over-jonathan’s-plan-grant-boko-haram-amnesty
another way of saying "oga if you give amnesty, expect a mutiny"
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by k2kay(m): 11:51am On Apr 05, 2013
^^^^^
seconded
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 05, 2013
arantess: another way of saying "oga if you give amnesty, expect a mutiny"
i cudnt care less...military rule is even looking more apealing than these m0r0n led civilian government these days.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nduchucks: 11:56am On Apr 05, 2013
Policewoman: So you think. But if i may ask, is the north (by the collaboration of d northern heads of states) not already more advantaged financially than the rest of the country? Don't they have more states and lgas? Kano alone has 44 LGAs compared to bayelsa with just 8. What hav their governors done so far with all the money at their disposal? Do u now think pumping more trillions will make any difference since they have already rejected Western Education in its entirety?

nwanyi maramma, you need to recognize the distinction between the the Northern elite including past rulers, majority of who belong in jail along with their southern co conspirators, and the ordinary peace loving Northerners.

You should agree with me that most governors and PDP governors in particular, are thieves who belong in jail as well. There is so much injustice taking place in Nigeria against people of every major ethnic group. The perpetrators of these crimes will continue to do so, as long as we choose not to oppose them as the Egyptians and Libyans have done.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Policewoman(f): 12:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
ndu_chucks:

nwanyi maramma, you need to recognize the distinction between the the Northern elite including past rulers, majority of who belong in jail along with their southern co conspirators, and the ordinary peace loving Northerners.

You should agree with me that most governors and PDP governors in particular, are thieves who belong in jail as well. There is so much injustice taking place in Nigeria against people of every major ethnic group. The perpetrators of these crimes will continue to do so, as long as we choose not to oppose them as the Egyptians and Libyans have done.
An Arab spring-like revolution will do a lot of good but I'm afraid it won't work because of deep rooted tribalism in the country.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Blueboy0402: 12:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
GEJ didn't say he has granted amnesty to boko haram rather after meeting with some northern elders, he is now "nursing" the idea of granting amnesty to boko boys. Inasmuch as I have a soft spot for GEJ, granting amnesty to those blood thirsty vampires and virgin seekers, will make me reconsider my stand about GEJ. Till then, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by sparkwil(m): 12:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
eggheaders: uncle gej i hail ooo.indecision wan finish this goat.I ban super eagles,I no ban them again.na mend do independent day bombing,no be mend.I change unilag to maulag, i no change again.I can't grant ghost amnesty, I will grant them again.what sort of low life shyte scumbag did we vote has president. even my pet rabbit is more decisive than this cloned orangutan.
even d devil doesn'nt deserve this kind of insult. Btw how do u kn u ddnt just described urself.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by EagleNest(m): 12:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
Billyonaire: Having consulted with the gods, I arrive at the following:
If President says Amnesty, I respect that Decision, and I stand by it.
He is the President, and what an adult sees while sitting, a kid can not see while standing.
Amnesty means no more killing of Igbos, no more killing of innocents citizens by JTF, no more destruction of properties of Nigerians, better name for Nigeria abroad.
Support the President and his team, they know certain things we are not privileged to.
Childish comment, just in the name of doing the job of your pay master.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by buJu234: 12:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
i don tire 4 this man called GEJ... infact its goodluck to Nigeria is really a complet opposite
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by loswhite(m): 12:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Typical of SR. Is this not the same SR that has been the mouth piece of Boko haram all the while? SR is the NUMBER ONE propagator of the activities of Boko haram.

Since the Boko haram mayhem started, no suggestion of possible ways of ending the crisis has emanated from SR. Not even one. All we read is criticisms of any strategy adopted by govt.

What do I expect next from SR? I expect SR to blast us very soon with a news report with a headline like "Boko haram rejects amnesty". Watch out!

The conclusion that can be drawn from the attitude of SR is that they want the crisis to continue. SR is profiting from the crisis.

Even if the president had said no to amnesty to Boko haram and 99% of leaders from that region are suggesting amnesty as the way forward, it is only wise and sensible for the president to give amnesty a try. Otherwise, leaders from that region would accuse the president of being insensitive.

Again, if the leaders of the north are clamouring for amnesty, and the govt bends backwards to consider amnesty, the onus will be on the leaders in the north to persuade Boko haram members to come out from hiding and embrace amnesty.

And Why should military chiefs be enraged over amnesty? I'm sure the foot solders that die daily in this conflict wouldn't mind amnesty if that will bring peace.

Though, I'm skeptical about whether Boko haram will accept amnesty and peace but the leaders of the north know better. In any case, if the govt eventually grants amnesty and certain elements of Boko haram remain recalcitrant, then the president would be justified in using maximum force.

Furthermore, elements of Boko haram that remain recalcitrant after amnesty will lose a measure of sympathy they currently enjoy from some segments in the north.

Consequently, any subsequent action of the govt will enjoy greater support and cooperation in the north.

However, the security forces should be very vigilant even if the govt goes ahead to offer amnesty. This is to avoid the sect re-grouping within the period.

But my attitude has always been, if amnesty will bring relative peace and allow us to move on as a country, why not? If asked to choose between amnesty leading to immediate relative peace and another 5 to 10yrs of fighting and killings, which will you choose?
how will amnesty bring peace? Don't u think dat it will send message to ppl to become militant and @ d end of day there will still be no peacew
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by eggheaders(m): 12:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
spark@wil:
even d devil doesn'nt deserve this kind of insult. Btw how do u kn u ddnt just described urself.

hey dumbskull,I thought they should have warned that I gat a violent oral.I dinosaur you for talking shyte like your anus blocked.with this foolishness you sound so vulnerable and for your dumb mind I gat two shoes thrown at you plus some couple of f-22 missile to scatter you.I pass mehn.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by kufreabasi(m): 12:34pm On Apr 05, 2013
Boko haram isn't one group. should the president grant amnesty to one faction, another one will emerge. These people don't have a specific reasons for wasting thousands of innocence souls. Moreso, boko haram is a terrorist group, so myopic that education is not good. Let the president know that before he lives his office, he should be ready to grant amnesty to as many groups that is yet to emerge. Let him not forget OPC,agaba etc. He can't be a man of his word. The bible says where a word of a king is there is power.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Praktikals(m): 12:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
If you are in the military, you are trained not to be emotional like Dan Daudus,or offended by the actions of your superiors. You take orders and say Yes Sir and shut up!! That is what you are trained to do.[/quote]
No wonder Fela refered to them as Zombies.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by tefund(m): 12:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
Policewoman: I was a staunch GEJ supporter but now I'm having serious doubts about the man's mental state.
his phd was a fraud
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by daylae(m): 12:45pm On Apr 05, 2013
eggheaders: uncle gej i hail ooo.indecision wan finish this goat.I ban super eagles,I no ban them again.na mend do independent day bombing,no be mend.I change unilag to maulag, i no change again.I can't grant ghost amnesty, I will grant them again.what sort of low life shyte scumbag did we vote has president. even my pet rabbit is more decisive than this cloned orangutan.

the SSS will visit you soon for this shocked
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Emperor007: 12:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
How many years was Henry Okah sentenced? Assuming he's really the mastermind of Oct bombing.

And simpletons are here trying to justify why GEJ should grant amnesty to Boko Haram, that have killed much more innocent people.

This would be GEJ greatest mistake on earth, while alive should he dance to northern script. I'll stop supporting him, likewise 99.9% of Igbos.

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by DCAT: 12:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
i have siad it before that jonathan should be nailed on a stake after his 4yrs tenure,i have never seen or heard of an effiminate president like this.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Symphony007: 12:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
Question: with the military unable to cub boko haram and with no end to their terror in sight, without amnesty whatelse do you think will stop the massacre going on in nigeria? Will boko haram kust wake up one day and repent and stop killing?

It's very easy for armchair critics to say boko haram should be fought and destroyed but you fail to understand what terrorism is. If the u.s with it's unmatched military might cannot destroy the taliban but are now negociating amnesty then what more nigeria?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by ROYALD(m): 1:02pm On Apr 05, 2013
This a joke
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by omonnakoda: 1:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
I guess GEJ is playing politics and trying to be smart. He would have presented the amnesty agenda to the military chiefs ,heard their objections and told them their approach is not working.He would ask them what alternatives they suggest and they would reply more of the same(strong arm tactics) He would reply we don't have unlimited money or time ,when can you get the job done.They would ask for some time and he would appear to be on the side of amnesty to put pressure on them .

We can expect in the next few weeks an escalation on both sides. The military know they don't have forever and will try to settle some scores.They will mark some individuals for assasination or even "release" some of those in custody so as to execute them. I expect things to calm down by August with some kind of amnesty in place. But there will be a lot of killings before then. "To balance the books"
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by EzeUche(m): 1:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
How can some of you even justify giving amnesty to terrorist? If you support that move, you need your head examined.

What sane country negotiates with terrorist? Jonathan has shown himself to be a weak man for even contemplating this plan.

I want Jonathan to go to the families who lost loved ones and tell them why he is going to give amnesty to those who brought pain and destruction.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by IYANGBALI: 1:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zakkyoz: It's very pathetic. I weep for my dear country
who beg you to weep?you mates dey there dey steal money,na weep you dey weep for nigeria,I pity you,sidon there dey weep,infact cry me a river.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by startony(m): 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2013
This is a lie, lies lies lies. How will the president do a thing like that. Even though many said he is weak But I believed he is stronger, wiser and smater than all Boko Haram Put together x10. Beside He cant summit now that He wining. His statement in Borno was the mind of 97% of Nigerian and the world. It will be better to divid this Nation than to grant amnesty to Boko Haram.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
EagleNest:
Childish comment, just in the name of doing the job of your pay master.
Thank you, at least I get paid...lol and you are not getting paid.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 1:40pm On Apr 05, 2013
Rossikk: If amnesty will bring peace, why not?

Or do you people prefer the bombs that have been dropping to peace?

The govt will find it hard to crush BH physically because BH do not have a standing army that is fighting a frontal war against the govt. They're like a guerrilla outfit. Hide and seek. To really go at them would mean mass casualties of the innocent. Nobody wants that, so the next thing is amnesty. Let God judge the killers in His own time.

keep earning your pay. Anything GEJ does must be defended by you, sincere9igerian and co. I don't blame you sha, you're working for your money
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Sibrah: 1:44pm On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2: To an extent I agree with GEJ. Grant them amnesty with conditions.

I do not think that the hardcore members of Boko Haram are interested in any amnesty. However, you can use an amnesty offer to lure the weaker and fringe elements, who might be able to deliver vital intelligence to you. This might also cause a split in the group and weaken it.

However, the main condition that should be attached to the amnesty is that the members of Boko Haram must lay down their arms and disclose the sources of their weapons and funding. Again, as it was in the Niger-Delta amnesty deal, amnesty should not be granted to anyone who has murdered or been involved in the murder of another person.

The military chiefs also have a point (and a huge job to do). It is not easy to tell the ranks that, after their colleagues have been killed and they have faced great difficulty, they now have to accept Boko Haram members as regular citizens of Nigeria. If the announcement is not handled well, it could lead to a mutiny.
How do u tell who has killed before? How do you check migrants for Chad, Niger, and Mali from coming into Nigeria for the amnesty?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by aurenflani: 1:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
Ogbonaikenna: Jonathan just lost south eastern votes. What a shame.

That's all politics aimed at self-preservation.In his shoes, you'd do the same.

He is confident of SE votes my pal. The military brass trying to talk him into refusal aren't being sincere themselves as they are seriously benefiting financially from this crisis through all the millions being expended in support of the operation by way of returns.

The same thing goes with the northern elites. Militants in the ND readily come to mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari To Military: End Insurgency Immediately / I Will Submit Myself To Hague – Nnamdi Kanu / "How I Met & Fell In Love With Rotimi Amaechi" - His Wife, Judith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.