Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty (27469 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / Boko Haram: Amnesty And The Quran / Should FG Grant Boko-Haram Amnesty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by ogahope(m): 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
gratting of amnesty for peace is welcome. Becos d Bible says 'do every tin pursue peace nd ensure it'. Bt one tin dt is sure is dt, 'what ever a man sows dt he shal reap. D innocent blood shed wil continue to cry for justice.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by KnowAll(m): 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
[size=16pt]if the terrorist are given 10 million naira, then the least piad soldier or police officer who lost his or her life should be given 20 million. We should not be seen to encourage terrorist.

As the Northern Elites are calculating 'Boko Haram's total compensation they should put the dead security officers compensation into the frame, wether Nigeria as a nation can afford it is another question.[/size]
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 6:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
Afghanistan's amnesty for Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants.

http://mobile.tolonews.com/afghanistan/8491-rights-group-slams-afghan-amnesty-for-war-crimes

Every terrorist believes that his cause is just and everybody affected by terrorism believes otherwise.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Princewell2012(m): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2013
This my humble opinion, instead of you sitting down and complaining about mr president's decision, why don't you tell us the solution to the problem, supposing you the president what would you have done? When the military and other security agencies can not solve the problem, so he should sit down and allow all of us to perish? Even the army chief that kicked against it, don't know what he is doing, if granting boko haram amnesty will bring lasting solution to our dear country, he should go ahead and do it. Let us be reasonable
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
My only question to those very FOOLISH people that support amnesty is what about the bloods of the people blown and killed by boko haram. Not combatants. Regular citizens. Those killed in church with AK 47s, those bomb in this day bombing. Those killed in Kano bombing etc. I'm currently watching a film "Zero dark thirty" of how America went all out to capture and kill osama. Our president and our country is a serious letdown to consider amnesty to a terrorist group with unreasonable and unclear ambition. In short, our lives are worthless.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by xcuggsm(m): 6:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
gymer: .

A Presidential source said that the committee will consider the feasibility or otherwise of granting pardon to the Boko Haram members and collate the views of those clamouring for amnesty, as well as recommend modalities for the granting of pardon should such a policy be adopted.

NIGERIANS SHOULD NOT BE QUICK TO JUDGE GEJ.
I DON'T THINK GEJ IS SO STU.PID TO GRANT BOKO HARAM AMNESTY IN ANY FORM.
ON THE CONTRARY, HE HAS LEARNT TO KEEP HIS MOVES CLOSE TO HIS CHEST.
THE BOKO HARAM AMNESTY COMMITTEE'S MANDATE IS SIMPLY ONE OF "IDENTIFYING THE GHOSTS"
LET THE GHOST REVEAL THEMSELVES FIRST. WHEN WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND THEIR SPONSORS, THEN GEJ WILL DEAL HIS OWN CARD.
LET'S BE PATIENT WITH THE MAN.
"SOFTLY SOFTLY CATCH MONKEY"

2 Likes

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Reference(m): 7:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
I hope its not the OAS coming to Nigeria.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Reference(m): 7:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
12 inches!:
My only question to those very FOOLISH people that support amnesty is what about the bloods of the people blown and killed by boko haram. Not combatants. Regular citizens. Those killed in church with AK 47s, those bomb in this day bombing. Those killed in Kano bombing etc. I'm currently watching a film "Zero dark thirty" of how America went all out to capture and kill osama. Our president and our country is a serious letdown to consider amnesty to a terrorist group with unreasonable and unclear ambition. In short, our lives are worthless.

Not even that. The question we should be asking is. Which Nigerian soldier will be willing to lay down his life when his C in C is doing deals with the people ready to destroy him.

Amnesty comes after verified and sustained cessation of hostilities. And then negotiations are conducted in secret not on national news. So demoralizing.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by digospel2: 7:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
Please, let there be amnesty for MASSOB, OPC and Middle belt militias.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by duddexeng(m): 8:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
The way I see it: if the rider of the horse is no longer in control, the horse itself can as well be in charge. Either way, motion will take place.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
This is what will happen if gej gives those mass murderers called bokoharam amnesty.
-se and middle belt will not come out enmass to vote,they will just sit at home
-sw and core north will vote for buhari irrespective of whether he grants boko amnesty or not.
-ss may come out enmass,but they cant determine the outcome of presidential election alone.
-non yorubas resident in sw will not bother to come out and vote.
If gej wants to give these murderers amnesty,he should pack his personal effects and leave for his otuoke village even before the election because his reelection bid is already a failure with such unpopular amnesty move.never seen such an uninspiring and undecisive,disappointing,slow fellow like gej.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Dibiachukwu: 9:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
Amnesty for bok haram would set up a system of amnesty that Nigeria can't pay for. Let us wait and see the result. Any president that grants amnesty to people who killed my people in numbers is my enemy. Johnathan you just made an enemy.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by toluene12: 9:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2: Afghanistan's amnesty for Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants.

http://mobile.tolonews.com/afghanistan/8491-rights-group-slams-afghan-amnesty-for-war-crimes

Every terrorist believes that his cause is just and everybody affected by terrorism believes otherwise.

afghan is a nation at war, Nigeria is not at war.
I told u compare like with like.
has pakistan(a semi failed state like nigeria) granted amnesty to those terrorist group residing at its mountainous regions?
has Assad considered amnesty for the syrian liberation army?
besides, afghan and allied troops fought the talibans for 13 years before considering amnesty.
Yet, the talibans have scorned all forms of amnesty extended to them and have continued bombing anything that walks.
anytime the talibans accept a call for truce, they simply use the opportunity to reinforce

SAY NO TO AMNESTY FOR TERRORISTS

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 9:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
toluene12:

afghan is a nation at war, Nigeria is not at war.
I told u compare like with like.
has pakistan(a semi failed state like nigeria) granted amnesty to those terrorist group residing at its mountainous regions?
has Assad considered amnesty for the syrian liberation army?
besides, afghan and allied troops fought the talibans for 13 years before considering amnesty.
Yet, the talibans have scorned all forms of amnesty extended to them and have continued bombing anything that walks.
anytime the talibans accept a call for truce, they simply use the opportunity to reinforce

SAY NO TO AMNESTY FOR TERRORISTS

Click on the link, you'll see that Pakistan also granted amnesty to and released 10 terrorists (hope you won't come up with another excuse to disqualify Pakistan).

By the way, do you hope to wait for more people to be bombed to death before declaring amnesty, or would you take action to stop the bombing? What if one of the people that might be bombed tomorrow is your relative?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
naptu2:

Click on the link, you'll see that Pakistan also granted amnesty to and released 10 terrorists (hope you won't come up with another excuse to disqualify Pakistan).

By the way, do you hope to wait for more people to be bombed to death before declaring amnesty, or would you take action to stop the bombing? What if one of the people that might be bombed tomorrow is your relative?

some of you people need urgent psychiatric help.
so nigeria is now pakistan?
btw why didn't nigeria allow biafra to go?
why did nigeria starve 2 million igbos to death rather than accept biafran terms?
you nigerians are very hellish and fatalistic by nature.
tufiakwa.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by remele2(f): 10:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
basisop: Opportunity to enrich all the northern youths. GEJ, I don't know how to defend you again oo.
Thank you! For being very sincere.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Bgino(m): 11:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
gideon okar should be granted amnesty..what is good for the goose is equally good for the gander

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Balkan(m): 11:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
GEJ sent Nigerian soldiers to go and defend Mali against terrorist. To save Malians citizens while he feels the same army can not fight BH in Nigeria. I am highly disappointed. This man should sample opinion of the people, I fact I will never ever defend him again.

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by 3face(m): 12:31am On Apr 06, 2013
My kindid opinion is this,Gej is not to blame for this present uncalculated descision that has raised so many dust for some days now,becos truely speaking as my brother earlier said Nigeria is bound to fail from onset,because our suppossed leaders lack good judgement and responsibility.what has the presidential carbinet been doing;sitting down,folding there hands and allowing the situation to plummet to unrecoverable path.My brothers come to think of it,the account of this event is premeditated from the onset.It's a step to strip this current administration of their might should the president agree to Boko Haram amnesty.Terrorist is a terrorist any day anytime,and for this reason,the Goverment has just signed and approved the cropping and bedding of more violence in the country.It's unheard off that the Goverment of any nation negotiate with a terrorist.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Qrisful: 3:37am On Apr 06, 2013
I never liked Goodluck Jonathan but I voted for him because I needed a CHANGE, from business as usual, sometime I just sit and evaluated him, truly speaking nothing has really change, rather it is getting worse, Mr. Jonathan legalized corruption by giving a state pardon to a convicted criminals and the worst is giving Amnesty to blood sucking demons, who kills innocent citizens at will, what is the moral justification of paying 20 million Naira to evil men while innocent citizens dies from simple basic things of LIFE, Mr. President you have lost the respect I have for you, what about the families of those killed that faithful morning in KANO luxurious bus park, are you aware most of them are not buried, before granting Amnesty to their murderers, you fortified yourself with very security you can get and smile whenever you appear on National television, I just want to remind you that whatever you do today will be used to judge you many years to come, Abraham Lincoln has gone for than 200 years yet he still lives in the heart of every Americans, like Chinua Achebe gladly wrote in his best selling memoir (There Was A country) what kills us was not the WAR, but policies of the WAR. You are gradually killing this country with your policies. By Qris Ebeatu

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 5:00am On Apr 06, 2013
re@lchange:

some of you people need urgent psychiatric help.
so nigeria is now pakistan?
btw why didn't nigeria allow biafra to go?
why did nigeria starve 2 million igbos to death rather than accept biafran terms?
you nigerians are very hellish and fatalistic by nature.
tufiakwa.

1) Some posters said that this could only happen in Nigeria. They gave examples of other nations that are fighting terrorists. I have given examples from the UK, The Republic of Ireland, Afghanistan and Pakistan to show that it is not a uniquely Nigerian solution to the problem, neither is it a strange solution (even the americans held discussions with the Taliban).

2) What has this got to do with Biafra? It's a different government, different time (40 years apart), etc.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Onlytruth(m): 5:07am On Apr 06, 2013
naptu2:

1) Some posters said that this could only happen in Nigeria. They gave examples of other nations that are fighting terrorists. I have given examples from the UK, The Republic of Ireland, Afghanistan and Pakistan to show that it is not a uniquely Nigerian solution to the problem, neither is it a strange solution (even the americans held discussions with the Taliban).

2) What has this got to do with Biafra? It's a different government, different time (40 years apart), etc.

No my friend, the more things change in Nigeria, the more they remain the same. I think that is what the guy was alluding to.
Go and count the number of MASSOB corpses fished out of the the Ezu River in Anambra state. Mind you MASSOB is UNARMED.
Now, why on earth should a Nigerian government give amnesty to an ARMED group? I will tell you why. It is because Nigerians see peaceful agitations as a form of weakness.
That is why your government (encouraged by you) is giving amnesty to armed mass murderers.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by pcnwamadi(m): 5:22am On Apr 06, 2013
Incase you missed it, here's a re-cap:

1. A ministry of Northern affairs must be established like the Niger Delta Ministry.

2. Each Boko haram member who embraces the amnesty will receive an initial cash reward of 3 million naira to start up a business.

3. Boko haram members who embrace the amnesty program will be giving a house by the FG.

4. Boko haram leaders who embraced the amnesty program will be giving a cash gift of 20 million naira each and other juicy packages will also follow.

5. Selected boko haram members from each zone will be taken abroad for training, just as the Niger delta militants enjoyed.

6. Each boko haram member will be on a monthly salary of N100,000 for a period of 3 years.

7. FG must rebuild borno, yobe and other state they claimed the JTF destroyed.

8. Security contract will be given to Boko haram leaders to secure the north.

8. JTF will be completely withdrawn from the northern states, where boko haram operates.

I dey laf

2 Likes

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by naptu2: 5:27am On Apr 06, 2013
Onlytruth:

No my friend, the more things change in Nigeria, the more they remain the same. I think that is what the guy was alluding to.
Go and count the number of MASSOB corpses fished out of the the Ezu River in Anambra state. Mind you MASSOB is UNARMED.
Now, why on earth should a Nigerian government give amnesty to an ARMED group? I will tell you why. It is because Nigerians see peaceful agitations as a form of weakness.
That is why your government (encouraged by you) is giving amnesty to armed mass murderers.

So, do you see why I said we are getting ahead of ourselves? If you check my first post, you'll see that I stated that one of the conditions for amnesty should be that people who have been involved in murder should not get amnesty. On this thread I've read about "paying public funds to terrorists", "pardoning mass murderers", where do you guys get these things from? A committee has just been formed to consider the possibility of granting an amnesty and the modalities for granting such amnesty. Have you guys been to the future to see what the conditions will be?

(By the way, regarding the bodies found in the river, I expect that a full investigation will be carried out and the culprits should be punished according to the law. Furthermore, your comparison with Massob doesn't apply. No where has it been stated that Boko Haram is being granted their wish [which is to islamise Nigeria], rather Boko Haram militants might be given amnesty if they fulfil certain conditions. Similarly, Massob members have been arrested and released in the past, but the government has not stated that it will grant Massob's wishes [to create an independent state of Biafra]. Also remember that, in the same way that we have seen corpses in the river in Anambra, so also have we seen suspected Boko Haram members gunned down without even being put in front of a judge. I of course condemn both.).

naptu2: To an extent I agree with GEJ. Grant them amnesty with conditions.

I do not think that the hardcore members of Boko Haram are interested in any amnesty. However, you can use an amnesty offer to lure the weaker and fringe elements, who might be able to deliver vital intelligence to you. This might also cause a split in the group and weaken it.

However, the main condition that should be attached to the amnesty is that the members of Boko Haram must lay down their arms and disclose the sources of their weapons and funding. Again, as it was in the Niger-Delta amnesty deal, amnesty should not be granted to anyone who has murdered or been involved in the murder of another person.

The military chiefs also have a point (and a huge job to do). It is not easy to tell the ranks that, after their colleagues have been killed and they have faced great difficulty, they now have to accept Boko Haram members as regular citizens of Nigeria. If the announcement is not handled well, it could lead to a mutiny.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by BarneyStinlEsS(m): 7:26am On Apr 06, 2013
I was a staunch defender of GEJ,but now i see he's just a fern in the wind,he gets swayed by every circumstance.Ijaw fish like am with fish brain

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nduchucks: 7:38am On Apr 06, 2013
naptu2:

So, do you see why I said we are getting ahead of ourselves? If you check my first post, you'll see that I stated that one of the conditions for amnesty should be that people who have been involved in murder should not get amnesty. On this thread I've read about "paying public funds to terrorists", "pardoning mass murderers", where do you guys get these things from? A committee has just been formed to consider the possibility of granting an amnesty and the modalities for granting such amnesty. Have you guys been to the future to see what the conditions will be?

(By the way, regarding the bodies found in the river, I expect that a full investigation will be carried out and the culprits should be punished according to the law. Furthermore, your comparison with Massob doesn't apply. No where has it been stated that Boko Haram is being granted their wish [which is to islamise Nigeria], rather Boko Haram militants might be given amnesty if they fulfil certain conditions. Similarly, Massob members have been arrested and released in the past, but the government has not stated that it will grant Massob's wishes [to create an independent state of Biafra]. Also remember that, in the same way that we have seen corpses in the river in Anambra, so also have we seen suspected Boko Haram members gunned down without even being put in front of a judge. I of course condemn both.).

You are doing a great job of showing these people how to be objective and disallow bigotry from beclouding their judgement. People like Eze Onlytruth live in a constant delusional state. I have been trying for years to help him through this problem but his ailment appears to be pathological, hence I have not been very successful to date.

pcnwamadi:

1. A ministry of Northern affairs must be established like the Niger Delta Ministry.

2. Each Boko haram member who embraces the amnesty will receive an initial cash reward of 3 million naira to start up a business.

3. Boko haram members who embrace the amnesty program will be giving a house by the FG.

4. Boko haram leaders who embraced the amnesty program will be giving a cash gift of 20 million naira each and other juicy packages will also follow.

5. Selected boko haram members from each zone will be taken abroad for training, just as the Niger delta militants enjoyed.

6. Each boko haram member will be on a monthly salary of N100,000 for a period of 3 years.

7. FG must rebuild borno, yobe and other state they claimed the JTF destroyed.

8. Security contract will be given to Boko haram leaders to secure the north.

8. JTF will be completely withdrawn from the northern states, where boko haram operates.

Most of the thoughts above are well reasoned,
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by emmacity2: 7:48am On Apr 06, 2013
Nigeria is not a country to stand on her words. Let me ask u mr president, have these in mind that if u grant this fools amnesty anorher people will form their own group and cos prpble for u to grant them amnesty. U are not a man of ur word!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by kinguwem: 8:11am On Apr 06, 2013
Onlytruth: I would listen to the military service chiefs if I were Jonathan. It is an indirect insult on them that the same murderous gang that killed many of their own is allowed to walked away, probably with payments sef.
The more Nigeria wobbles along, the more obvious the flawed foundation, and the more likely the future will be settled by extreme violence.

But come on, who gave the president this advice? I honestly think that whoever gave the president this advice must be the greatest enemy of Nigeria.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by joeyfire(m): 8:25am On Apr 06, 2013
No wonder. That explains the statement of an army officer I travelled with a few days before this amnesty was announced. The officer kept on saying "we are very angry, from top to bottom". Now it makes sense
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by modestdude(m): 9:05am On Apr 06, 2013
I foresee a military coup. GEJ beware, Central African Republic Coup is a pointer and a fresh incidence in the minds of our military who perceive you as a weak president. Long live Nigeria
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by dederocs(m): 1:42pm On Apr 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: If democracy is the government of, by and for the people, I see no reason why the President shouldn't try to reconcile his decisions with that of majority opinion.

Remember, he is a politician and is still eyeing for a second term mandate from the same people he refuses their opinions.

Even God in the bible ask humans to come and reason with him, and in another verse God said, present your strong reasons.

My conclusion is, apart from the portion I deleted from your text, GEJ or any leader in a democratic setting should not be autocratic rather a listening leader.

A man with no consciousness is a Joker.its sad that Nigerians were so myopic they didn't realise that there is something called leadership qualities and Jonathan does not have that.A stooge can never be a leader,jonathan is just a rubber stamp,scared and hypocritical.its sad that we always leave our conscious,reasonable men of calibre aside and support those that decieve with sweet words and playing to the gallery.
A people deserve the type of leaders they get,let us support good men of conscience and brawn to lead this great Nation.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by zetel95(m): 7:28pm On Apr 06, 2013
gymer: A new plan by President Goodluck Jonathan to grant amnesty to members of the violent Boko Haram sect has upset Nigeria’s military chiefs.

Sources at the Presidential Villa, where the military brass met with the President for several hours today, said they tried in vain to convince Mr. Jonathan not to fall into the trap that has been set for him by prominent northern leaders on the issue.

They were said to have told him the security implications of the action and that it could also be interpreted to mean that the President is not a man of his word. Mr. Jonathan has flip-flopped on federal policy against Boko Haram since he took office in 2010.

The military bosses reminded him of his words when he visited Borno State a few weeks ago when he said that there was no way he would grant amnesty to ghosts, stressing that nothing has changed. Mr. Jonathan once said there were members of Boko Haram in his government, but it is not clear if they are still ghosts or he has identified them.

He was also said to have been reminded that many of their men and other security officers have been indiscriminately killed, warning him that telling the rank and file the decision on amnesty could ignite anger in the barracks.

At the end of the lengthy discussion, which lasted for five hours, the President had his way against the genuine advice of the military chiefs, except one. He set up a committee to handle the issue of amnesty.

The committee, whose members are yet to be announced, is to work with the office of the National Security Adviser.

A Presidential source said that the committee will consider the feasibility or otherwise of granting pardon to the Boko Haram members and collate the views of those clamouring for amnesty, as well as recommend modalities for the granting of pardon should such a policy be adopted.

President Jonathan seems to have adopted the argument of the northern elements after meeting with some of their prominent members in Abuja on Wednesday night. Although today he seem highly disposed to the amnesty idea, he is known to change his mind fairly easily.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/military-chiefs-outraged-over-jonathan’s-plan-grant-boko-haram-amnesty
GEJ is not a man enough, u can kill American citizen and after dat i will now say dey r been 4given, it is not done. God will ask d blood of all d pple boko haram has kill from GEJ, any grown up man like GEJ dat.still have too mouth is not a man yet, hes a baby boy dat he still spoon feeding. Wick President

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anambra Governorship Election 2017: Ngige Body Language Scatters APC Gladiators / Uruan Agog As Child Kidnapped Over 20 Years Ago Is Reunited With Her Family / Buhari To Military: End Insurgency Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.