Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education (8018 Views)

Buhari Blames Economic Woes On Past Leaders / Blaming Economic Woes On Oil Price, Sheer Laziness – Bakare / Akpabio Blames Nigeria’s Woes On False Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Fhemmmy: 2:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
Soso990240: See ur level of education and see d kind opinion u de drop..ar u a gud leader then?

You mean our people are educated and yet decided to be agent of rigging elections?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 2:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
moodswing: I disagree. Goodluck Jonathan is educated yet he he's about to grant Boko Haram Amnesty.

Obama is highly educated, yet he pitched tent with homosexuals.

Idiocy has become part of human existence, and that's the major cause of bad leadership.

Goodluck is poorly educated. That is evident in his thought-process, speech, and actions.

Whilst I disagree with Obama on the gay/lesbian issue, I have to concede that a good leader listens and observes changes taking place in his realm. Attitudes, in the western world, are softening towards homosexual relationships and as such a leader can't have a 'my way or the highway' attitude.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
He should shut the hell up! The same guy went to Uniben and proly paid N5,000 or lesser during his time and had quality education. If the government then had been as elitist as him, I am dead sure he'd be a bus conductor or NURTW staff by now. BRF has a terrible memory for a human being, and I solemnly hope this UPN party works for the sake of those Yoruba folks he's denying a dream of free and life changing education. You just don't take people houses, livelihoods, education and still call yourself a leader. And its a shame people like this are still been respected in the society.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Tbaby4real(f): 2:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
I would say its lack of foresight ........and selfishness.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by bknight: 2:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
cry
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Gbawe: 3:00pm On Apr 15, 2013
moodswing: I disagree. Goodluck Jonathan is educated yet he he's about to grant Boko Haram Amnesty.

Idiocy has become part of human existence, and that's the major cause of bad leadership.

Goodluck Jonathan, much as it pains me to say so as a Nigerian, is not an example of an 'exception' that dispels Fashola's conclusion. GEJ, rather, is validation of what Fashola is saying precisely. I don't know many contemporary leaders as unintelligent-sounding as GEJ is. I don't know many who are so lacking in the basic/routine leadership skills, at the level GEJ is operating at, as our President embarrassingly is. A bit like saying one is a professional footballer when one cannot even kick a ball properly !!!! Frankly, I am sure his peers , worldwide, joke privately over what GEJ's PHD reveals about Nigerian education.

Regarding Obama and his stance on gay rights, poor contextual example. Irrelevant actually. You are simply letting your personal opinion sway you against what is inevitable and must be planned for. You cannot conclude the support for homosexuality or the rigid rejection of it as being related to education or the lack of it. You cannot conclude Obama is 'uneducated' because he backs gay rights. Rather, I think Obama accepts that Gays are here to stay. We either accommodate them or keep being driven by the sort of ego that never gets things done and can leave humanity, as is the case with Africa, unprepared for the future and inevitably/inadvertently preparing itself for future headache because of today's myopia. In fact, it would not be unusual for rabidly pro-Gay activists to argue it is you who displays lack of education with homophobia that is fast becoming the equivalent of a 1979 suitcase phone in 2013. there should be a middle ground of 'live and let live' in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by jamace(m): 3:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
kunlekunle: We lack work ethics.
its not education, its discipline.
Sure, it's not education but discipline. After all, they know all the important and interesting places in the world when it comes to medical treatment, shopping and holidaying. They know the best of architectural edifices to build for themselves with stolen money.

Our leaders lack ethics and morals. They are morally diseased and bankrupt.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
I guess he included himself as a part of the uneducated leaders.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by obi123: 3:03pm On Apr 15, 2013
Most of our leaders got to where they are fraudulently not necessarily because they have any relevant skills, qualifications or experience with regards the role not even remotely, so when you have clueless animals leading top sectors or areas in an economy , expecting anything tangible is being stupidly hopeful , its like a farmer who hasn't a clue about how to pilot a jet ,but somehow he manages to acquire a jet , he is of course going to crash land if at all he is able to figure out how to take off.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Litmus: 3:03pm On Apr 15, 2013
Makes no sense. Let's see, there are approximately 195 nations in the world. How many of these nations fulfill what we would call good nations or whose leaders provide good governance.What is the criteria? If we use HDI as a determinant of good governance,what level to we settle at to determine that A, B and C nations are well run Nations contrary to X, Y and Z nations run poorly. And if we arrive at this conclusion, are you certain then that the leaders of A,B and C nations are better educated than leaders of X,Y and Z nations? If so you're in effect stating that there is a formula for well run Nations and it is based on the standard of educational attainment. If so then what universities provide the best leaders. Did Hugo Chavez attend one of these universities?

Maybe we do not exclude education of the streets undecided
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by otokx(m): 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Poor mentality not poor education is to blame.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by livethinme: 3:17pm On Apr 15, 2013

? eh?
You really want to compare the potential granting of amnesty to a terrorist group thats killed hundreds to support gay rights?
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by bestofthisyear(m): 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
I totally agree with Fashola and he is 100% correct. With higher education you not only gain a higher standard of knowledge, you as well gain a better understanding of the world around you with the experiences you gain and the exposure you receive. A country should have open minded visionaries who not only have an elaborate plan to help their people but should also have the knowledge to accompany those visions. If you need an example of how an uneducated person in a high position can lead to downfall please reference "my oga at d top"

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by saintdeby(m): 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
d
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Akiika: 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
It is a problem of "undeveloped minds". There are lots of "educated illiterates". We are only concerned with titles in Nigeria...B.Sc, M.Sc, Phd e.t.c...There is a big difference between studying to pass (or settling to pass) and learning. There is also these problem of our schools' archaic curricula, the lecturers themselves still use notes they wrote while they were students to teach their students.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Cultured(m): 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
The bane of our progress as individuals in particular and public in general is that we lays so much emphasis on paper certificates and formal system of learning - Which are not true definitions of education and intelligence. Taken this country as a case study , in all sincerity , we have a lot of formally educated ( certificate holders ) but "uninformed" people as leaders , thus our current stagnation ... Whereas the type of leaders we need to realize our longing developmental/progressive goals are "informed" ( formally or self educated ) people. So , not until we addressed this abnormality would we make headway . Meanwhile , " Once one is informed automatically he/she is experienced... But one can be experienced without being informed".

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Josephchuks: 3:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
I disagree with Fashola and you all the commentators here in NL.
The problem of Nigeria is not leadership but corrupt masses and citizens.
The masses and people of Nigeria prefer to live and wallow in poverty than to die and pave way
for better life for future generations.
We do not hold the so called leaders to accountability for their misdeeds instead we pray
and fast for miracles to provide social amenities for the masses wherein God laid underground the
resources to develop the people and the land. So long as the people do not change their attitude towards
the leaders and their misdeeds Nigeria will in this shackle till eternity.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by lukaino(m): 3:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
Take a look at the politicians one after the other and you will find that they are made up of professionals and technocrats in their rights but why they act the way they do, i cannot understand.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Litmus: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
Canada drops out of top 10 most developed countries list

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/03/14/canada-slips-.html

Does this imply that the current leaders are not as educated as the former Leaders?

Are the leaders of the nations below less educated than the leaders of the nations not on the list? What criteria do we use to ascertain Good Leadership of Nations

List of Least Developed Countries (LDCs) 2012

Africa

Angola
Benin
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Congo, Dem. Rep. of the
Djibouti
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gambia
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mozambique
Niger
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sudan
Tanzania
Togo
Uganda
Zambia

Asia
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Cambodia
Lao PDR
Maldives
Myanmar
Nepal
Timor-Leste
Yemen

Australia and the Pacific
Kiribati
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

Caribbean
Haiti
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by kutchs: 3:53pm On Apr 15, 2013

You are educated yet you can‘t differentiate between setting up a committee to ascertain the feasibility of amnesty and granting the amnesty itself.

Fashola may be right you know cos we have so many educated peeps who reason through their anus.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by EkoIle1: 3:58pm On Apr 15, 2013

Education is supposed to enlighten you, broaden your knowledge, give you realistic day to day view of the world and people around you, make you smart and prevent ignorance, but GEJs brand of bush education didn't do much for him because he's still a dullard.

Exposure, group and political affiliations and socio cultural development are also critical factors.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by yebo: 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
For d fact dat someone said he/she has so so qualification does not mean he or she is educated, so many undergraduates do come to the campus during examination period, dey do not attend lectures all dey do is to write exams, settle guys dat we help dem to graduate with good result. Once those kind of students graduate people like you wld say dey are Educated but are dey really educated?. The point I'm trying to say is that its not everybody dats comes out to say he or she has Qualification in a field is educated.d president has ph.d but did he actualy acquired d knowlede of d course he studied or he just got the qualification? quote author=moodswing]I disagree. Goodluck Jonathan is educated yet he he's about to grant Boko Haram Amnesty.

Idiocy has become part of human existence, and that's the major cause of bad leadership.[/quote]
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by slimfit1(m): 4:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
Negro_Ntns: I disagree. Poor judgement and lack of vision is the root of our endemic poor leadership, not poor education. Nigerian leaders received far better education than the leaders in say, Tanzania or Zambia or Niger. Thos three countries perform far better for their people and their countries.

basically you saying they are educated illiterate s
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by yebo: 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
For d fact dat someone said he/she has so so qualification does not mean he or she is educated, so many undergraduates do come to the campus during examination period, dey do not attend lectures all dey do is to write exams, settle guys dat we help dem to graduate with good result. Once those kind of students graduate people like you wld say dey are Educated but are dey really educated?. The point I'm trying to say is that its not everybody dats comes out to say he or she has Qualification in a field is educated.d president has ph.d but did he actualy acquired d knowlede of d course he studied or he just got the qualification? quote author=moodswing]I disagree. Goodluck Jonathan is educated yet he he's about to grant Boko Haram Amnesty.

Idiocy has become part of human existence, and that's the major cause of bad leadership.[/quote]
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
yebo: For d fact dat someone said he/she has so so qualification does not mean he or she is educated, so many undergraduates do come to the campus during examination period, dey do not attend lectures all dey do is to write exams, settle guys dat we help dem to graduate with good result. Once those kind of students graduate people like you wld say dey are Educated but are dey really educated?. The point I'm trying to say is that its not everybody dats comes out to say he or she has Qualification in a field is educated.d president has ph.d but did he actualy acquired d knowlede of d course he studied or he just got the qualification? quote author=moodswing]I disagree. Goodluck Jonathan is educated yet he he's about to grant Boko Haram Amnesty.

So you mean his level of education made him to do that?
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Mrchippychappy(m): 4:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
Soso990240: Oga shut up joor..4 ur mind u be gud leader..by sewin uniform 4 ur fellow yoruba agberos and callin dm LASTMA..u aint beta dan other governors.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by vanstanzy(m): 4:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
Hmmm! undecided Plausible!
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Dee60: 4:41pm On Apr 15, 2013
BRF, you got it wrong. Leadership is not necessary a factor of how educated you are!
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
Gov. Fashola you have spoken well,if Nigerian leaders had attended the University of Benin,Benin City like you did, more than half of our problems will be solved by now. GEJ attended the University of Portharcourt(for crying out loud he is a Dr.) and he has shown what they are made of(I dnt want to talk abt His wife).
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Dee60: 4:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
People making comments do not need to abuse President Goodluck Jonathan all the time. I am not a fan of his policies, but I think we should respect his office. GEJ is the president of Nigeria. Criticize him and his policies if you wish, but no need on earth to abuse him or call him names. Abusing the president, an elected one for that matter, is like abusing all Nigerians that voted him to power.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amnesty Office Seeks Presidential Nod To Disarm Arepo Pipeline Vandals, Others / "APC Won't Miss Migrant And Rolling Stone Politicians" - Oshiomhole Says / Obasanjo Strikes Again On Atiku's Defenses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.