Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education (8019 Views)

Buhari Blames Economic Woes On Past Leaders / Blaming Economic Woes On Oil Price, Sheer Laziness – Bakare / Akpabio Blames Nigeria’s Woes On False Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Wazobia9ja: 4:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
dayokanu: I disagree Fashola not in all cases.

The most important attribute of a leader should be to have the interest of your populace at heart

Compare the education of Adams Oshiomole with someone like Emmanuel Uduaghan a Medical Doctor and their achievement in governance over the last 6yrs

Retardeen Jonathan has a PhD for fucckk sake and we can see how he brought extreme cluelessness to governance

ur education is all about d papers u re having, but wat is upstairs-wat u learnt from school. What grade did gej com out wit in his 1st degree? Wat is his waec lik? Or even fslc
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by jaso1(m): 4:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
One thing you people dont know is that Fashola do not pressent capability to call any of his co-governor or president a corrupt servant. They are all in it but one worst. Fashola may not admit publicly that he's corrupt but is body language does.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by moodswing(m): 4:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
I agree with you.....

Gbawe:

Goodluck Jonathan, much as it pains me to say so as a Nigerian, is not an example of an 'exception' that dispels Fashola's conclusion. GEJ, rather, is validation of what Fashola is saying precisely. I don't know many contemporary leaders as unintelligent-sounding as GEJ is. I don't know many who are so lacking in the basic/routine leadership skills, at the level GEJ is operating at, as our President embarrassingly is. A bit like saying one is a professional footballer when one cannot even kick a ball properly !!!! Frankly, I am sure his peers , worldwide, joke privately over what GEJ's PHD reveals about Nigerian education.

Regarding Obama and his stance on gay rights, poor contextual example. Irrelevant actually. You are simply letting your personal opinion sway you against what is inevitable and must be planned for. You cannot conclude the support for homosexuality or the rigid rejection of it as being related to education or the lack of it. You cannot conclude Obama is 'uneducated' because he backs gay rights. Rather, I think Obama accepts that Gays are here to stay. We either accommodate them or keep being driven by the sort of ego that never gets things done and can leave humanity, as is the case with Africa, unprepared for the future and inevitably/inadvertently preparing itself for future headache because of today's myopia. In fact, it would not be unusual for rabidly pro-Gay activists to argue it is you who displays lack of education with homophobia that is fast becoming the equivalent of a 1979 suitcase phone in 2013. there should be a middle ground of 'live and let live' in my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by omiobo: 5:00pm On Apr 15, 2013

The most important attribute of a leader should be to have the interest of your populace at heart

Compare the education of Adams Oshiomole with someone like Emmanuel Uduaghan a Medical Doctor and their achievement in governance over the last 6yrs

Retardeen Jonathan has a PhD for fucckk sake and we can see how he brought extreme cluelessness to governance

Education has diverse meanings. I can see you are talking about academic pursuit. Education is beyond academic pursuit,it involves acquiring knowledge in every areas of life. Academic pursuit is only a preamble to life. One of the definitions of education says Education is the process of bringing desirable
change into the behavior of human beings. If I may ask what desirable changes has education revealed in our leaders? I totally agree with Fashola,our leaders has poor education.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by EkoIle1: 5:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
Dee60: People making comments do not need to abuse President Goodluck Jonathan all the time. I am not a fan of his policies, but I think we should respect his office. GEJ is the president of Nigeria. Criticize him and his policies if you wish, but no need on earth to abuse him or call him names. Abusing the president, an elected one for that matter, is like abusing all Nigerians that voted him to power.

What office are you respecting? A worthless office occupied by corrupt, crooked and incompetent people? Their presence there is a form of disrespect to that crippled and worthless office. Of what use is that office to nigerians especially when all nigerians get from that office is.pain and misery?

smh ....
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Fhemmmy: 5:05pm On Apr 15, 2013
Dee60: People making comments do not need to abuse President Goodluck Jonathan all the time. I am not a fan of his policies, but I think we should respect his office. GEJ is the president of Nigeria. Criticize him and his policies if you wish, but no need on earth to abuse him or call him names. Abusing the president, an elected one for that matter, is like abusing all Nigerians that voted him to power.

Sometimes it is important to even abuse people that votes in bad leadership cos it is like a disease with no cure. . . . But like i said recently, i wanna just chill a little and respect all human
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by NegroNtns(m): 5:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fhemmmy:

And what is education?

In absolute terms, the answer is broad. To stay within topic i will narrow it down and say Fashola made the cimment in context of academic scholarship; by which he meant if our leaders had sound "academic training" the Nigerian political situation would be better evolved and prospered.

In the financial sector our leaders are doing good. In the industrial and services sector our leaders are doing good and so in the telecomms sector. The people that lead these sectors of our general economy sat in the same classroom and received the same tutoring as our leaders in politics. Si what's the differentiator, why is one side performing and the side is failing?

Zero accountability! Indiscipline!! Poor judgement!!!

If our political office holders have something to loose the instinct to self-preserve will stimulate them to serve us in faith......as it stands they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
But the president has a PHD doesn't he? So that is a perfect example that Education is merely a sufficient but not a necessary condition for Good leadership.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 5:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

In absolute terms, the answer is broad. To stay within topic i will narrow it down and say Fashola made the cimment in context of academic scholarship; by which he meant if our leaders had sound "academic training" the Nigerian political situation would be better evolved and prospered.

In the financial sector our leaders are doing good. In the industrial and services sector our leaders are doing good and so in the telecomms sector. The people that lead these sectors of our general economy sat in the same classroom and received the same tutoring as our leaders in politics. Si what's the differentiator, why is one side performing and the side is failing?

Zero accountability! Indiscipline!! Poor judgement!!!

If our political office holders have something to loose the instinct to self-preserve will stimulate them to serve us in faith......as it stands they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

That is assuming that there is no inverse relationship between the poor management in government and good management in telecom/finance industries.

For instance, bad leaders create monopolies and duopolies in certain industries. The financial strength of those companies in such industries is not down to their competence and ability but due to the relationship that exists between government and certain individuals. For instance, Carlos Slim is the world's richest man and made his money from Mexican telecoms but yet, his firm is never used as a case study for management and innovation simply because he controls the Mexican telecoms industry. Many such examples abound in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by pappythinko(m): 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
Adura_ngba: So where is the future of Nigeria judging from the poor education of the youths as exemplified on NairaLand alone, talk less of looking at the graduates churned out from the higher institutions yearly. Who can you single out on NL to worth a prospective Nigerian Leader. I cant find.
Why do u hve 2 mke such a ridiculous &stereotypic statement?? 2me der are stil sme gUd brains in ds forum though smetymx beclouded by ethnic bigotry.I supos u r postn on cedisland&nt nairaland.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by pappythinko(m): 6:03pm On Apr 15, 2013
On this issue, i can't agree less with BRF.. From the functionalist lens, Education is just a part of the social system thus not solely culpable for bad governance in Nigeria. The roles of other parts of the social system or institutions(religion, family, etc) can't be swept under the carpet.. The educational system of this country ix somewat bad though.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Orikinla(m): 6:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fashola's government has some of the best hands in public administration in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by EPOMA(m): 6:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
CyberG: The retardeen is an illiterate Ph. D.

Phd my foot
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by EPOMA(m): 6:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fhemmmy:

He never said lack of education, but poor education, so this is to raise awareness about the quality of education in Nigeria, there are so many educated illiterates

You are very on point. Good luck can not even pronounce the country he rules
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by NegroNtns(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

That is assuming that there is no inverse relationship between the poor management in government and good management in telecom/finance industries.

For instance, bad leaders create monopolies and duopolies in certain industries. The financial strength of those companies in such industries is not down to their competence and ability but due to the relationship that exists between government and certain individuals. For instance, Carlos Slim is the world's richest man and made his money from Mexican telecoms but yet, his firm is never used as a case study for management and innovation simply because he controls the Mexican telecoms industry. Many such examples abound in Nigeria.

there is no field more accomodating of competition and elimination than in politics......particularly with the constant scrutiny and worship by the media.

if you cross them over and bring these political leaders into industries they will perform well. they have layers of checks and balances and accountability is hands-on.

if you take the industrial leaders and put them in political office they will fail. the layers of checks and balances in government is refined on paper but very loose and has no teeth in practice......it is hands-off approach.

thats not an attribute of poor educatiin.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 15, 2013

You have, just like many here and in the wider society, have missed what is meant by being educated. It has nothing to do with the gathering of certificates but morals, intelligence, brilliance, etiquette, etc, which may not necessary be acquired through lectures but through critical reasoning which goes beyond your course of study. I have come across Msc and PhD holders that I'm more educated than.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Symphony007: 7:42pm On Apr 15, 2013
What sort of rubbish is this man saying? Because he is a "charge and bail" lawyer. Olusegun obasanjo did'nt have much education but he led this country out of massive debt that plagued us after the military regimes. Winston churchill was a dullard but today he is britain's greatest leader ever. I can go on forever. So let this stop making factually in accurate comments! And the press never calls him out for it.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
OMG this man said what has been on my mind for long...

check out Nigeria's leaders since the 70's: Mostly ex Military officers who ended up in military schools after their high school education I guess? We haven't had a proper/ very well educated Nigerian rule this country yet...
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
Symphony007: What sort of rubbish is this man saying? Because he is a "charge and bail" lawyer. Olusegun obasanjo did'nt have much education but he led this country out of massive debt that plagued us after the military regimes. Winston churchill was a dullard but today he is britain's greatest leader ever. I can go on forever. So let this stop making factually in accurate comments! And the press never calls him out for it.

That's not the point. It's really easy to call out the so-called 'achievements' of the government... but how have the poor
in Nigeria fared over the years? Not much progress has been made. We need pesin wey dey sound both intellectually/ in leadership skills to run things for this country. As far as I am concerned, most of our past leaders do not fit into this category at all.They all came into power through some sort of military connection.. Fashola made sense here. daz all.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 7:56pm On Apr 15, 2013
Symphony007: What sort of rubbish is this man saying? Because he is a "charge and bail" lawyer. Olusegun obasanjo did'nt have much education but he led this country out of massive debt that plagued us after the military regimes. Winston churchill was a dullard but today he is britain's greatest leader ever. I can go on forever. So let this stop making factually in accurate comments! And the press never calls him out for it.

Winston was a dullard? On what basis?

The man was educated at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst and was awarded a Nobel Prize in Literature.

He gave some of the best speeches in the history of man. You clearly don't have a clue.

And Obasanjo was a rogue. The only reason why OBJ appears to have been competent is because the standards of leadership in Nigeria are so low.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
e be like say some nairalanders no sabi english sha:

Fashola said:

The performance of the nation’s economy is a function of the quality of education those managing it received.”

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Myself2(m): 8:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
grin grin grin

[size=14pt]This Fashola is truly a stubborn goat
He is just taking pot shots at his mentor,Bola Tinubu(who goes about parading fake university certificates ala University of Chicago[/size])[/
]

Dont even nit-pick between national and state,we get your pun Mr Fashola tongue tongue
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 8:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
ekwah: e be like say some nairalanders no sabi english sha:

Fashola said:

The performance of the nation’s economy is a function of the quality of education those managing it received.”

Thank you
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Symphony007: 8:27pm On Apr 15, 2013
ekwah:

That's not the point. It's really easy to call out the so-called 'achievements' of the government... but how have the poor
in Nigeria fared over the years? Not much progress has been made. We need pesin wey dey sound both intellectually/ in leadership skills to run things for this country. As far as I am concerned, most of our past leaders do not fit into this category at all.They all came into power through some sort of military connection.. Fashola made sense here. daz all.
fashola made sense? Ok, is'nt he a leader too? What has he done for the poor people of lagos? Since he's a very luminated senoir advocate of nigeria? What has he done for the poor? Reduce their houses to rubbles to make way for his mega city? His point was a shambolic one and you can't put a spin on it.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Sprumbaba: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fashola said QUALITY OF EDUCATION not just education.So we have poor quality PHD holder.
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Adurangba(f): 8:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
pappythinko: Why do u hve 2 mke such a ridiculous &stereotypic statement?? 2me der are stil sme gUd brains in ds forum though smetymx beclouded by ethnic bigotry.I supos u r postn on cedisland&nt nairaland.

Who are the people?
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Symphony007: 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

Winston was a dullard? On what basis?

The man was educated at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst and was awarded a Nobel Prize in Literature.

He gave some of the best speeches in the history of man. You clearly don't have a clue.

And Obasanjo was a rogue. The only reason why OBJ appears to have been competent is because the standards of leadership in Nigeria are so low.
look at this kid wants to lecture me about winston leonard spencer churchill, he was dull because of that he had to change school three times because each kept on pushing him out,that was in ireland, when his father was the viceroy there, why do you think he joined the army? and because of that, he has his father the duke of malborough did'nt speak alot.

That sandhurst you talk about, he failed the entrace exam three times before he was admitted because of his noble background.

He won the nobel prize for literature because his governess when he was a child who loved him and was the only one who belived in him taught him to love books and writing which he did, he also won due to his fierce speeches against hitler and the articles he wrote in the evening standard warning of the rise of hitler when he was still a backbench mp. All this was the little he learnt from his governess. Don't lecture me on what you don't know.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 9:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
Symphony007: look at this kid wants to lecture me about winston leonard spencer churchill, he was dull because of that he had to change school three times because each kept on pushing him out,that was in ireland, when his father was the viceroy there, why do you think he joined the army? and because of that, he has his father the duke of malborough did'nt speak alot.

That sandhurst you talk about, he failed the entrace exam three times before he was admitted because of his noble background.

He won the nobel prize for literature because his governess when he was a child who loved him and was the only one who belived in him taught him to love books and writing which he did, he also won due to his fierce speeches against hitler and the articles he wrote in the evening standard warning of the rise of hitler when he was still a backbench mp. All this was the little he learnt from his governess. Don't lecture me on what you don't know.

Since you able to call a man who led the Brits to victory in WW2 and who won the Nobel prize a dullard on the basis that he failed the entrance exam to a prestigious institution, can you tell us what you have achieved yourself? Have you won the nobel prize for physics/economics/medicine? What entrance exams did you sit? Have you contested an election and won it? I am only asking, ordinarily I wouldn't, because it seems you have such high standards. Please don't disappoint.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by asha80(m): 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

Since you able to call a man who led the Brits to victory in WW2 and who won the Nobel prize a dullard on the basis that he failed the entrance exam to a prestigious institution, can you tell us what you have achieved yourself? Have you won the nobel prize for physics/economics/medicine? What entrance exams did you sit? Have you contested an election and won it? I am only asking, ordinarily I wouldn't, because it seems you have such high standards. Please don't disappoint.
you are only collaborating what he said.if actually churchill repeated three times and was actually pushed out a school then the only word that comes to mind is dullard(classroom education anyway).
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Katsumoto: 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
asha 80: you are only collaborating what he said.if actually churchill repeated three times and was actually pushed out a school then the only word that comes to mind is dullard(classroom education anyway).

Changing schools doesn't make one a dullard. Many people change schools for many reasons. And he didn't repeat three times; he sat the entrance exam to Sandhurst 3 times. They are two different things. It is quite possible for someone to be academically limited but still possess a high level of intelligence. Focusing on his educational records and ignoring his achievements in life is quite a Nigerian thing isn't it. Why do people go to school if not to apply the knowledge in life? But in Nigeria, people go to school and acquire all kinds of degree but don't know how to apply it.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Dbboy(m): 10:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
drinking panadol for another mans headach FS just spilled trash. cool
Re: Fashola Puts Country’s Woes On Leaders’ Poor Education by Freiburger(m): 10:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
Fashola is right on this one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Is The Lekki Airport And Seaport ? / Kwara Holds Open Bid For Renovation Of 31 Public Schools / Reactions As Buhari Pronounced Covid19 As "Covik One Nine Virus'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.