Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (22987 Views)

Poll: Do you speak in tongues?

Yes: 39% (40 votes)
No: 54% (56 votes)
Previously: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:45am On Mar 01, 2007
@ Syrup

The fact that christians can twist God's words and claim God's gift all at once amazes me. grin, This is what I find a mystery. Not tongues. grin

Acts 5:32 says, 32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Christians who incorporate pagan practises in church services, and thus fail to obey God's direct commands cannot qualify to recieve God's Holy Spirit in its fulness. While the Spirit will plead with ignorant christians to leave the system, He can do so much and no more.

You may not like the way this may sound. but the devil invented your brand of tongues in order to hold you in deception, but of course you're so caught up with it you cannot see the deception.

Keep "waving in the Spirit'. Its your choice. I have chosen to stay out of confusion.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 8:29am On Mar 01, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

The fact that christians can twist God's words and claim God's gift all at once amazes me. grin, This is what I find a mystery. Not tongues. grin

It shouldn't be such a mystery to anyone the way you often twist God's Word and then accuse others of your trademark.

Bobbyaf:

Christians who incorporate pagan practises in church services, and thus fail to obey God's direct commands cannot qualify to recieve God's Holy Spirit in its fulness. While the Spirit will plead with ignorant christians to leave the system, He can do so much and no more.

I knew you couldn't resist the charge of 'pagan practices' against Christians, as you have done before; and to arrogate to yourself the prime position of pretending to receive God's Holy Spirit in fulness is hilarious. If you cannot sense the promptings of the Spirit to leave your own "system" and face up with the truth of God's Word, then your case is beyond help.

Bobbyaf:

You may not like the way this may sound. but the devil invented your brand of tongues in order to hold you in deception, but of course you're so caught up with it you cannot see the deception.

Thanks once again for your characteristic prejudice and slobber accusation - it's a trademark of SDA members, so I'm hardly surprised. Yet for all that, your academic arguments haven't helped your deceit; and my original statement still stands - "one who is bereft of the supernatural will predictably scorn what he has neither experienced nor understood."

Bobbyaf:

Keep "waving in the Spirit'. Its your choice. I have chosen to stay out of confusion.

Accusing others with sly invectives is a hallmark of the SDA brand of confusion. Again, it's your choice, and you can stay in that brand as long as you wish.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:44pm On Mar 01, 2007
You're still hung up on this matter, heh?  grin, Syrup you'll soon see reality. By the way why not start handling snakes too! Where is your faith Syrup? grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 7:06pm On Mar 01, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

When you have lost face, your low thinking comes to the fore. Hiding behind such pseudo-spirituality has not helped your SDA cultism, has it?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by bluenubian(f): 7:10pm On Mar 01, 2007
wow 22 people speak in tongue - liars!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:17pm On Mar 01, 2007
@ Syrup

@Bobbyaf,

When you have lost face, your low thinking comes to the fore. Hiding behind such pseudo-spirituality has not helped your SDA cultism, has it?

Not being very Christlike are you? Loosimg your cool? Come on do better than that!!! shocked
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 7:19pm On Mar 01, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Lose my cool? I thought you could do better than your SDA-cultism taught you to accuse others with unbridled pride?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2007
bluenubian:

wow 22 people speak in tongue - liars!

don't mind them, dey don't know wat speaking in tongue is!! dey speak calaber mixed with d whole Nigerian launges n call it speaking in toungues!! i'm not trying 2 say that speaking in toungues dosen't exist, but as 4 this people in diz syte, n also d people i ve seen that claim 2 speak in toungue r all big tym LIARS!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 7:27pm On Mar 01, 2007
Nella:

don't mind them, dey don't know what speaking in tongue is!! dey speak calaber mixed with d whole Nigerian launges n call it speaking in toungues!! i'm not trying 2 say that speaking in toungues dosen't exist, but as 4 this people in diz syte, n also d people i ve seen that claim 2 speak in toungue r all big time LIARS!!

So can you help us explain how to know which is fake and true. In addition how do you know the tongues by people here and people you've seen are all fake as you agree speaking in tongues exist.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2007
buluti:

So can you help us explain how to know which is fake and true. In addition how do you know the tongues by people here and people you've seen are all fake as you agree speaking in tongues exist.

well i don't need 2 answer ur question just read wat d bible says about speaking in toungues!! :

I Corinthians 12-14, chapter 14. i quote 4rom 13
: "wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tounge pray that he may interpret".

I Corinthians 12-14, chapter 14. i quote 4rom 18
: I thank my God that i speaketh in tounges more than ya all, but in the Church i had rather speak FIVE words with my understanding, that by my voice i might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown toungue.

I Corinthians 12-14, chapter 14. i quote 4rom 27 :
if any man speak in an unknown tounge, let it be by "TWO", or at the "MOST" by "THREE", and that by course; "LET ONE INTERPRET"!!!!!!

Let it b by "TWO or "THREE"; "AND AT THAT COURSE LET ONE INTERPRET!!!!!!

I Corinthians 12-14, chapter 14. i quote 4rom 28:
" BUT IF THERE BE NO INTERPRETER, LET HIM KEEP "Silence" in the "CHURCH"; and LET HIM SPEAK TO HIMSELF N TO GOD".

there u go that's all one need 2 differenciate between a true n a fake toungue! , d Bible says : " BUT IF THERE BE NO INTERPRETER, LET HIM KEEP "Silence" in the "CHURCH"; and LET HIM SPEAK TO HIMSELF N TO GOD".

now which of d people who claim 2 speak in toungues does any of this?? non cuz they r all fake!!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 8:44pm On Mar 01, 2007
@Nella,

Can I just ask you: does your church or you yourself speak in tongues?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 9:01pm On Mar 01, 2007
Okay Nella thanx but please note you were not obliged to answer my question, it was based on what you stated i asked the question.

The scriptures you have presented are quite clear i agree interpretation is good and it edifies in the church congregation. But maybe i am lost but the speaking in tongues being referred to here is praying in tongues, the scripture is quite clear on speaking to the whole church in tongues when anyone seeks to speak to the church in tongues there should be an interpreter but when if there is none he should keep quiet.shut up.

This is quite different from when the pastor is praying on the pulpit and decides to pray in tongues and in english and vice versa or when the individuals in a church service are praying and decide to pray in tongues SHOUTING, this has nothing to do with speaking to the whole church, speaking in tongues to the whole church is a different scenerio. If he decides then to prophesy (the interpretation part) with the thus saith the lord thingy and speaks in tongues and he cant interpret nor if there is no interpreter in the service then we have an issue he should shut up as stated by 1 corinthians.

Please note am just responding based on the scriptures you provided and based on the fact that you believe there is speaking in tongues we are just trying to ascertain which is real and fake.

So can we agree that its not becos everyone is shouting in tongues at the same time that it makes it real or fake as they are just praying in tongues, they are not speaking to the whole church they are talking to their God albeit in tongues.

@ syrup for now pls lets leave the issue of where she worships she believes in speaking in tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 9:26pm On Mar 01, 2007
@buluti,

buluti:

@ syrup for now please lets leave the issue of where she worships she believes in speaking in tongues.

Well, I'm not concerned about where she worships. I had the same concerns as you, when I asked her the question; as in the first line of yours:

buluti:

Okay Nella thanx but please note you were not obliged to answer my question, it was based on what you stated i asked the question.

If someone actually believes in tongues, he/she would not speak about issues the way she did.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:22am On Mar 02, 2007
@ Aluchia

I am a Christian but I don't speak in tounges and Of Course I beleive in it  b/c it's one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12). I've had an argument with a friend over this issue. She was of the opinion that as a beleiver, I must be able to speak in tounges and that is exactly where I have a problem with speaking in toungues. That is not what my bible tells me. Christians these days tend to focus so much on Speaking in tounges that they forget that it is just one of the many gifrts of the Holy spirit which includes Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, Speaking in tounges and even interpretation of tounges (1 Cor 12:8-11), and one must not have all the gifts for God's sake. I may have the gift of healing without having the gift of tounges,It doesn't make me less a Christian. I have a very intimate relationship with my God. He hears and answers my prayers even though I don't speak in tounges. The most important thing is having the Love of Christ in you. 1 Cor 13:1 says, "Though I speak with the tounges of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal". Let us note that Spiritual gifts will not take us to heaven b/c that is simply what they are 'gifts'- added favours. They are just to edify us and that is why Paul even advised to desire prophesy rather than speaking in tounges b/c people are edified when u prophesy. We should rather pray and strive to exhibit the 'fruits' of the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:22-23). These are what will draw men to God and give him glory.

Well said! Thank God someone sees the more important impact of bearing fruits from God's Spirit than trying to force a gift on someone to whom the Holy Spirit hasn't given utterance. The all-should-speak-in-tongues advocates don't seem to recall what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12 and 13 when he rhetorically asked the following in verse 29 and onwards:

1 Cor. 12:28-31, 28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

As for the question as to whether all should speak in tongues is conviniently overlooked by those pushing the tongue agenda. They fail to realize that the most important gift, as well as fruitage from God's Spirit is love. So in order to go around the simple expressions they fill your head with allsorts of interpretations, that only contradict what the very same bible teaches. Here is a perfect example by Paul:

1 Cor. 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

When someone in this day and age speaks in tongues, does he or she understand what he or she is saying? Do others around understand? Is not this what Paul is concerned about in the first place?

Why would someone speak in tongues as is customary in these churches that push the issue, and not be able to even as much as understand what they are communicating to God, assuming that is what the purpose is?

It is plain and simple that simple truths are being overlooked. In fact the more they talk about the issue the more confusing they make it seem.

Regards.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:30am On Mar 02, 2007
@ syrup

@Bobbyaf,

Lose my cool? I thought you could do better than your SDA-cultism taught you to accuse others with unbridled pride?

Do you feel better now that you have released all that bitterness? I love you too. grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 9:11am On Mar 02, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Do you feel better now that you have released all that bitterness? I love you too. grin

Did you feel any better after your unbridled pride and slobber accusations had waned? Only people with such cultic pride read bitterness in others, and how wrong you were to think I was bitter.

You simply can't make such derogatory remarks about people of whom you know nothing, simply because they see issues from a different persuasion from yours; and then you turn round to offer a tattered white flag after they put you through and expose your superbia.

Bobbyaf:

Well said! Thank God someone sees the more important impact of bearing fruits from God's Spirit than trying to force a gift on someone to whom the Holy Spirit hasn't given utterance. The all-should-speak-in-tongues advocates don't seem to recall what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12 and 13 when he rhetorically asked the following in verse 29 and onwards

A balanced view of God's Word does not suppose that a gift could be forced on anyone - and I've made that quite clear once and again. Besides, if the topic of this thread was about bearing spiritual fruit, then I would have branched off dealing with that instead of the present topic.

Bobbyaf:

As for the question as to whether all should speak in tongues is conviniently overlooked by those pushing the tongue agenda.

When you refer to people as "pushing" the tongue agenda, you reveal your antagonism against the gift of tongues. The point has been made earlier that one should rather be focused on the Biblical understanding of the experience of glossolalia, and not what people have turned it into.

Bobbyaf:

They fail to realize that the most important gift, as well as fruitage from God's Spirit is love. So in order to go around the simple expressions they fill your head with allsorts of interpretations, that only contradict what the very same bible teaches.

I hope you realise that you've classically described yourself? Well done.

Bobbyaf:

When someone in this day and age speaks in tongues, does he or she understand what he or she is saying? Do others around understand? Is not this what Paul is concerned about in the first place?

Did you deliberately miss the point that Paul made from the onset about the mystery of this gift? "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." (I Cor. 14:2). He first establishes the nature of the supernatural gift of tongues and moves on from there in a wider application - not the other way round. The problem with so many people who disparage this gift is that they jump the start and try to move backwards in their interpretation; and as such they often fall foul of the the Spirit's intended meaning.

Bobbyaf:

Why would someone speak in tongues as is customary in these churches that push the issue, and not be able to even as much as understand what they are communicating to God, assuming that is what the purpose is?

You are trying to play judge over matters you don't know. How many of these people do you personally know for certain? If the tongue-speaker does not understand what he prays to God in tongues, then he is to "pray that he may interpret" (verse 13). I have known many people who follow this divine path and have seen much blessing thereto.

Bobbyaf:

It is plain and simple that simple truths are being overlooked. In fact the more they talk about the issue the more confusing they make it seem.

Again, self-descriptive of yourself. Try not overlooking the simple truth of Scripture, and I guarantee you that understanding will come.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 1:47pm On Mar 02, 2007
buluti:

The scriptures you have presented are quite clear i agree interpretation is good and it edifies in the church congregation. But maybe i am lost but the speaking in tongues being referred to here is praying in tongues, the scripture is quite clear on speaking to the whole church in tongues when anyone seeks to speak to the church in tongues there should be an interpreter but when if there is none he should keep quiet.shut up.

This is quite different from when the pastor is praying on the pulpit and decides to pray in tongues and in english and vice versa or when the individuals in a church service are praying and decide to pray in tongues SHOUTING, this has nothing to do with speaking to the whole church, speaking in tongues to the whole church is a different scenerio. If he decides then to prophesy (the interpretation part) with the thus saith the lord thingy and speaks in tongues and he can't interpret nor if there is no interpreter in the service then we have an issue he should shut up as stated by 1 corinthians.

Please note am just responding based on the scriptures you provided and based on the fact that you believe there is speaking in tongues we are just trying to ascertain which is real and fake.

So can we agree that its not because everyone is shouting in tongues at the same time that it makes it real or fake as they are just praying in tongues, they are not speaking to the whole church they are talking to their God albeit in tongues.

@ syrup for now please lets leave the issue of where she worships she believes in speaking in tongues.
@ buluti: NO!! wat was spoken of in d scripture was not " Praying in toungues!!!" it was "SIMPLY" SPEAKING IN TOUNGUES!!! ( can u even read? do u mind NOT inventing ur own Bible here?!?!!!?!?!)
U go 2 Church 2 Worship God, d Pastor's( eventhou 99.9% of them r fake) job is 2 preach 2 d people in d Church, conduct it, n so on, But Not 2 go there n start Showing off that he speaks in toungues, (which is fake)having d whole church SHOUTING ontop of their lungs af if 2 say that God is deaf!!!! n d worst part is when d whole church claim 2 speak in toungues!!! RRRRRRUBISH!!!!!!

@Syrup, u say u speak in toungues lite?? do u even know d meaning of d things u say? ( i bet not!!) just keep deciving ur self!!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 2:10pm On Mar 02, 2007
@Syrup, u say u speak in toungues lite?? do u even know d meaning of d things u say? ( i bet not!!) just keep deciving your self!!!

Leave her to her own confusion. She knows not what awaits her.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2007
@Nella,

Nella:

@ buluti: NO!! what was spoken of in d scripture was not " Praying in toungues!!!" it was "SIMPLY" SPEAKING IN TOUNGUES!!! ( can u even read? do u mind NOT inventing your own Bible here?!?!!!?!?!

There is praying in tongues, and the Bible categorically states it so: I Cor. 14:14 ~ "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful."

Nella:

@Syrup, u say u speak in toungues lite?? do u even know d meaning of d things u say? ( i bet not!!) just keep deciving your self!!!

I'll ignore the castigation for now and seek that you try to make sense in your discussions. I have no problems with anyone who doesn't speak in tongues; but I wonder why non-tongues speakers are the ones who are quick to castigate others.

Nonetheless, I have offered severally the verse some of you often miss out - by commission or ommission:

I Cor. 14:2 ~ "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

Condemning people for speaking divine mysteries in the Spirit is not a healthy position. However, if you choose to continue such accusations and condemnation, I can't hold you back - the Lord knows just how to deal with such.

@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Leave her to her own confusion. She knows not what awaits her.

Since you're nursing your confused bruises, you're not my judge.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 7:19pm On Mar 02, 2007
Nella do you have to resort to such uncomplimentary remarks thanx for the complement though but am sure i read better than you can imagine.

Please lets put this discussion in proper perspective. Since its convenient to quickly accuse me of inventing my bible my first question to you who does the bible instruct believers to speak to. and what is praying? When i said praying in tongues i meant speaking in tongues to God albeit in the believers own personal capacity not to the whole church. I believe you just wanted to be mischevious you knew exactly what i meant.

Lets go to 1 corinthians 14. since thats where you quoted.

14.1 Pursue love and be eager for the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. 14:2 For the one speaking in a tongue does not speak to people but to God, for no one understands; he is speaking mysteries by the Spirit. 1  14:3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, 2  encouragement, and consolation. 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds himself up, 3  but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 14:5 I wish you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets so that the church may be strengthened.

The above represents a summary of my previous post, when you pray in tongues (speaking as you would want to call it) you are not speaking to people but to God for no one understands but God. Please note the reason you are speaking in tongues in your own capacity is to build up yourself and not for the edification of the church.

syrup has quoted verse 14 (KJV) where it states my understanding is unfruitful but my spirit prayeth.

14.13 So then, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14:14 If 6  I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive. 14:15 What should I do? 7  I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing praises with my spirit, but I will also sing praises with my mind. 14:16 Otherwise, if you are praising God with your spirit, how can someone without the gift 8  say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 14:17 For you are certainly giving thanks well, but the other person is not strengthened. 14:18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you, 14:19 but in the church I want to speak five words with my mind to instruct others, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

The bible in verse 13 recognises that one who speaks in tongues might not interpret and then instructs that one who speaks in tongues should pray that he interprets.

So i don't know where you get this your issue that everyone that speaks in tongues must interpret, its unscriptural and if you really value your christanity you might wish to study the whole book of 1 corinthians and pray to God for understanding that you would not be like the heathen who read the bible and can't see anything because the bible is just a book to be used in arguements and not to know the mind of God. Intent my sister is important, whats your intention of studying the word, 

My advise is based on the fact you believe in speaking in tongues.

Read on in verse 15 the bible goes on to instruct what then should i do, i would pray in the spirit (speak in unknown tongue without interpreting), i will pray in my understanding (whatever language i choose), i will sing in the spirit,

I don't know where you are located i used to have a tape by Rev. K.C. Price on this issue i can't find it but i can order it for you if you are interested, your confusion will be put to rest.

Finally on the issue of church order which is where the critics among christains come in as you have stated why should we shout and all that. My opinion is that you don't have to shout if you want to pray quietly or pray in your mind its your perogative but the bible is not against shouting, the first experience in Acts where the speaking in tongues were manifest we know they spoke out (shouting) as people could hear them.

Lets look at the scripture you quoted on church order speaking one and two.

14.26 What should you do then, brothers and sisters? 11  When you come together, each one has a song, has a lesson, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all these things be done for the strengthening of the church. 14:27 If someone speaks in a tongue, it should be two, or at the most three, one after the other, and someone must interpret. 14:28 But if there is no interpreter, he should be silent in the church. Let him speak to himself and to God. 14:29 Two or three prophets should speak and the others should evaluate what is said. 14:30 And if someone sitting down receives a revelation, the person who is speaking should conclude. 14:31 For you can all prophesy one after another, so all can learn and be encouraged. 14:32 Indeed, the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets, 14:33 for God is not characterized by disorder but by peace.

The bible is clear if there be no interpreter he should be silent to the church and let him speak to himself and to God (speaking in tongues) but not to the congregation.

Nella I hope you are clearer a bit but i still go back to my question before you redirected the discussion, how do you know the fakes, you even have the stats. 99.9%, you are so convinced that it is all fake how do you know..

It is definately not based on 1 corinthains 14 because it states clearly not everyone who speaks in tongues interprets but should pray to interpret, so how do you know??
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 11:39pm On Mar 02, 2007
when u read those passages where it speaks about speaking in toungues u find out that, most of em r directed 2 d Church, trying 2 send out that message that in d Church, d head is there 2 teach d people about God n so on, U also notice that when it speaks about speaking in Toungues it always states out clearly, when ever it comes 2 d Church that eventhou u speak in toungues, d Church is just not d right place 2 do it, that when it comes 2 d Church, u just have 2 put ur speaking in toungues aside n teach d people (who r there 2 worship God) about God, n so on, !!

It states in d same Bible, Corinthians I, 22 : wherefore toungues are for a sign , not to them that belive, but to them that belive not: but prophesying, serveth not for them taht belive not, but for them which belive"

" well if ye all in ur Church all speak in toungues n follow d principles of d Bible, y did u leave diz parth out?? i mean if ye all, all speak in toungue n all belive in God , does d bible not state out that speaking in toungues is a sign 2 those that belive not?? if ye all in ur church belive, then y do u start speaking in some unknown toungue when u come together

23, If there the whole Church ( once again directed 2 d Church) be come together into one place, and all speak in toungues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelivers, will they not say that ye are mad? "

well not lyk i'm an Unbeliver, but diz passage just tells u wat i think of ye all that go into d Church n start speaking in some unknown toungue!! " i think ye all MAD!"

this passage also points out clearly once again that speaking in toungues is not just not

I Corinthians 12-14, chapter 14. quote 4rom 18 : I thank my God that i speaketh in tounges more than ya all, but in the Church i had rather speak FIVE words with my understanding, that by my voice i might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown toungue.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 11:41pm On Mar 02, 2007
this passage also points out clearly once again that speaking in toungues is not just not

diz last sentence was a mistake, ( my work posted b4 i finished, but my message is there all d same),
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by debosky(m): 11:44pm On Mar 02, 2007
Tongue speaking may have been abused by the present day church, if it happened to the corinthians, then there is no reason why it can't happen today

that does not mean, however that it is '99.9%' fake, they may need some more bible study to show the true purpose/application of tongues, but making

blanket claims that they are all fake is not the path to take.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:38am On Mar 03, 2007
@

The above represents a summary of my previous post, when you pray in tongues (speaking as you would want to call it) you are not speaking to people but to God for no one understands but God. Please note the reason you are speaking in tongues in your own capacity is to build up yourself and not for the edification of the church.

What does paul mean by praying in tongues? I am curious to see your response.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 6:27am On Mar 03, 2007
I have read your response Nella and observed you still havent answered my question how do you know it is fake??

Initially it was based on not interpreting now if i can summarise you accurately its about speaking in tongues being a sign to the unbeliever. have you never seen where the gift of interpretation of tongues manifest? I can see where this is leading and it is not my intention to force you to believe you can maintain your stand if you so choose i just thot since you believe in tongues at least we could reason together.

I would try and address your issues, but you must not agree with me. First who says in the church (services/gatherings) there is no interpretation whereby the church is edified and a sign to unbelievers, i don't mean to sound derogatory but maybe in your church  this doesnt take place or the particular service in the "MAD CHURCH"(as you call us) you might have attended the gift was not manifested but please note this does manifest (Gift of interpretation) and it does manifest frequently particularly in outreach meetings evangelism crusades and also more frequently in smaller church gatherings such as workers meeting, cell meetings and the likes. The one who speaks in tongues interpretes or there is an interpreter from the congregation (another person interpreting the tongues of another), it does happen if you havent seen it before then maybe i should ask syrup question if it is a normal christain activity to speak in tongues in your church.

So based on your post that it is a sign to unbelievers and that paul admonished the christains to pray in 5 words of understanding rather than 1,000 words in tongues to THE CHURCH i don't see how the body of christ has contradicted this.

Brings me to my second point do you think it is when we are in church that we really speak in tongues, at best we get to speak in tongues for 5 minutes, the real speaking in tongues take place in the closet, it is a life style of the believer, the building of the christain is during his prayer time when he is individually with God thats when the christain really prays in tongues, you need to hear when a christain is praying then you would know that in church it is childs play, the tongues spoken in church cannot build a christain it is just a drop of water. Please be aware that the christain speaks more mysteries (miliion tongues) in his closet, the tongues he speaks individually in church (not to the congregation) is either when the holy spirit is leading him in prayer or worship.

In addition you claim we are all MAD well you are entitled to your opinion though the scriptures are clear. I am actually happy you do consider us MAD.

In summary please note the actual place the christain manifest the gift of speaking in tongues (maybe with or without interpretaion) i.e. to speak mysteries in tongues to God) is in the closet, the believer can also manifest the gift of interpretation in his closet to himself there is no box to these gifts and its manifestation. However, in the church service the christain can pray in his understanding and pray in tongues, he can sing in his understanding and sing in tongues (which is what then the christain should do 1 corinthians 14:15 states this), also the Gift of interpretation also manifest in church and is a sign to the unbeliever. I advised you to read the whole book of corinthians first and second please do this. The practise you are against is actaully very scriptural, very very.

@ Bobbyaf i would have loved to answer you but we would get into an unnecessary lenghty arguement, we don't believe in the same things so we would see things differently. You must not believe me you know.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Katigurl: 2:52pm On Mar 03, 2007
Speaking in toungues, lies!!! i don't belive nuthing of it! big lies!
do u guys even know wat speaking in toungues is
fakers! liers!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2007
@Katigurl,

Katigurl:

Speaking in toungues, lies!!! i don't believe nuthing of it! big lies!
do u guys even know what speaking in toungues is
fakers! liers!!

Just some questions for you:

#1. Why is it that those who don't believe in the gift of tongues are very quick to condemn others and use such language as you did??

#2. Whatever you believe or don't believe about the gift of tongues, could you please share your own understanding instead of condemning others?

Thanks.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 3:38pm On Mar 03, 2007
Katigurl:

Speaking in toungues, lies!!! i don't believe nuthing of it! big lies!
do u guys even know what speaking in toungues is
fakers! liers!!

at leats some one uses her brain here!!

@buluti, u said i still havent't answerd ur question, but it just seems 2 me that u haven't been reading nor understanding any thing i ve been writing ( bcuz if u have then by now u would know how 2 tell a fake speaking in toungues apart 4rom a real one!!). well i will explain againn!!

I'm judging u guys that claim 2 speak in toungues 4rom wat i have seen of u!! i don't care if u speak in toungues in ur closet or in ur bathroom or just where ever!! if u guys n ur Church claim 2 really speak in toungues, n if u claim that it is realy of God, then y don't u do it according 2 d principles of d Holy bible?!?!?!?!

2 ur question: I say it is fake bcuz lyk i said above u claim 2 speak in toungues n also that it is from God, but yet u don't do it according 2 d principles n teachins of d Bible! , 4 Paul in d Bible has showed u n pointed out 2 u clearly some things which u r JUST not 2 do if u speak in toungues, n if u claim 2 speak in toungues n that it is 4rom God, u will obviously respect n go by this principles!! but if not,,,,,,,,,,,,well then ur so called " Speaking in toungues is not of God"!!!! = it's fake!

well u mentioned that it is not when u r in Church that u realy speak in toungues right?? but yet u do speak in toungues( d fake one of course) while in d Church don't u!??!?!? n d ones i ve seen was quite more than five min!!
i go back 2 my point again, which is if u guys claim 2 speak in toungues, y don't u do it according 2 how d Bibles teaches u to ?
( i direct my statements mostly 2 ur Churches, bcuz d ones i ve seen r in d Churches)
4 d bible stated out CLEARLY 2 u n ur Church telling u that if ye come 2gether n ye all belive, then there is no need 4 u 2 speak in toungues!!
( which annoys me bcuz ye all claim 2 belive, n 2 also speak in toungues, but u never do, practicly nuthing according 2 d teachings of d Bible!) 4 if u guys n ur Church realy speak in toungues as u claim 2 do, then u would absolutely do it according 2 d teachins of d Holy Bible!! but as u don't do this, well then i simply consider u all FAKERS!!!

D most annoying part is when in a church u all just start talking n blabing out some rubbish n shouting ontop of ur voices!!!! CLAIMING 2 SPEAK IN TOUNGUES!!! NON-SENSE!!!

23: " If there the whole Church be come together into one place, and all speak in toungues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelivers, will they not say that ye are mad? "
if u guys realy claim 2 speak in toungues then y do u never look at this teaching 4 Paul during his tym on Earth laid it out plain n clearly 2 d future people who may recive this gift of Speaking in toungues, telling n teaching em wat n wat not 2 do if u speak in toungues, if u guys realy speak in toungues then u would follow this teachings, n not go doing things ur own way!!!

well @ Buluti, do u understand now y i consider u guys fake Speaker?!?!?
U guys simply don't do it as d Bible tells u 2!! once again: 4 Paul during his tym on Earth laid it out plain n clearly 2 d future people who may recive this gift of Speaking in toungues, telling n teaching em wat n wat not 2 do if u speak in toungues, if u guys realy speak in toungues then u would follow this teachings, n not go doing things ur own way!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Katigurl: 3:44pm On Mar 03, 2007
syrup:

@Katigurl,

Just some questions for you:

#1. Why is it that those who don't believe in the gift of tongues are very quick to condemn others and use such language as you did??

#2. Whatever you believe or don't believe about the gift of tongues, could you please share your own understanding instead of condemning others?

Thanks.

Shere my OWN understanding well i seriously can't waist my tym arguing things as obvious as this!!!!
@ Nella, poor u gurl, you have just been wasting your time trying to explain to this people but i can see that they just lack understanding! i understood your point imediately i read your post! i don't belive in all those rubish!!! it freaks me out!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrpataki(m): 3:51pm On Mar 03, 2007
@ Nella,
Since you seem to think you hold the key of Justice in knowing those who speak in tongues correctly and those who fall into error of such, could you please kindly expantiate on how to speak in tongues correctly as Paul you keep mentioning has said?

I am most willing to learn.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrpataki(m): 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2007
Katigurl:

Shere my OWN understanding well i seriously can't waist my time arguing things as obvious as this!!!!@ Nella, poor u girl, you have just been wasting your time trying to explain to this people but i can see that they just lack understanding! i understood your point imediately i read your post! i don't believe in all those rubish!!! it freaks me out!

This is exactly the thinking of a escapist here. You are rather so quick to throw stones of aspersions to those who speak in tongues yet to explain your views you run away from it. undecided

I wish you could sit down and study the scriptures yourself, rather than wait to be fed nuisance from those who do not know any better embarassed

Speaking in tongues is speaking in an unknown language which you necessarily do not need to have an understanding of.

Note: The things of the Spirit can not be understood from the Physical! wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2007
@Katigurl,

Katigurl:

Shere my OWN understanding well i seriously can't waist my time arguing things as obvious as this!!!!
. . .
i don't believe in all those rubish!!! it freaks me out!

Perhaps you just made my point. You may not believe in what God gives as stated in His Word, but it is not "rubbish" as you supposed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

El-rufai Moves To Regulate Religious Preaching In Kaduna / Anthonia Fufeyin Gives Stephanie Idolor N1 Million / Pastor Adeboye's Family Christmas Card Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.