Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? (17491 Views)

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar / Ever Been Emotional While Watching A Movie? / Which Nigerian Soap Opera Is The Hottest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by avuekwe(f): 9:56am On Apr 30, 2013
Please where can I get DIZZY ANGEL to read again. I so so love that book, read it in primary three. Also odenigbo, samankwe and the highway robbers would be an adventure.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by alosiby92(f): 9:58am On Apr 30, 2013
I lOVE NIGERIAN LITERATURE!!!!
In my head, I always have my own vision of what the main characters look like. I think the following will make good on screen adaptations..I just hope they do not mess up the original book:
*Arrow of God and Things fall apart (A newer version)by Achebe,
*Joys of Motherhood and other Buchi Emecheta books (second class citizen, the bride price)
*The concubine and The great ponds by Elechi Amadi
*Purple Hibiscus and the last short story she wrote in the 'thing around your neck' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
*Uwem Akpan's Fattening for Gabon in "Say you are one of them"
*Flora Nwapa's Efuru
*Seffi Attah's Everything good will come
*The famished road and Dangerous love by Ben Okri..
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by MizEmerald(f): 10:02am On Apr 30, 2013
Hibkay: My one n only book...The triumph of the water lily...
that book got me shedding tears wen odili's wife died,can't remember her name again.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by MizEmerald(f): 10:09am On Apr 30, 2013
purplespecimen:
Ake; the childhood years by Wole Soyinka (hilarious, beautiful, culture rich)

The tree Must go down

Jagua nana

Jagua Nana's daughter

A book by Sefi Atta i =-? The title is "everything G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ will come"
Wole soyinka has been naughty from time,d funniest part of d book to me was when he invited his classmates for his birthday,wen d mother 'wild christian' got back from the market and asked asked what dey were doing in th house,he said they had come to eat birthday.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by MizEmerald(f): 10:14am On Apr 30, 2013
moresignal: OUR HUSBAND HAS GONE MAD AGAIN
very hilarious book,i actually took d part of sikira in its stage adaptation in skool dat year
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by skidos4u(m): 10:27am On Apr 30, 2013
"the secret of nothing". d book is abt d igbo problem of osucast. but i cnt remember d authur.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by adexsimply(m): 10:48am On Apr 30, 2013
thelonestranger: From all the lists presented so far one can guess that the average age of the posters on this thread is 50 years old. grin grin grin
thats what we are saying...am nt even near that age at all..i mean at all at all...and am very familiar with 99% of those books..what it means is that, we dont have good authors again..so its not about age..ok?
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Deighbour: 11:04am On Apr 30, 2013
How come Ŋo̶̷̩̥̊͡ one mentioned "Half of a yellow sun?"
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Bofemsky(f): 11:07am On Apr 30, 2013
dnawah: "evbu"i never want throw way d book,even as him don tear tear finishgrin.them still d market?
Yeah, some still dey!
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:18am On Apr 30, 2013
Dospix: Firstly, i need to thank the Moderator for doing a great job on this thread

Don't mention. Without you, there wouldn't be me grin wink

Dospix: I just feel most of the movie makers in Nigeria today try too hard the wrong way. It is not possible for movie makers in Nigeria to get the attention of the western world when they try to imitate western stories. With the movies we have around today, it is obvious that most movie Producers in Nigeria are short of ideas( all we keep getting is the same story with different actors).I have often wondered why certain great Nigerian books that told true stories of the true Nigerian society are yet to be adapted as movies? Movie makers in Nigeria need to wake up and embrace this glaring opportunity to make an emphatic statement in the world.

Well said. . . . +10

Dospix: Why can't i tune on my tv set and be graced by a Things fall apart movie with Jim Iyke playing Okonkwo?

Jim Iyke as Okonkwo in a Things Fall Apart Movie adaptation?. . .puhlease! grin. I wouldn't touch that guy with a 10-feet long pole. He's talentless and has never delivered a good, believable and convincing performance IMO. Also, Jim Iyke doesn't have the physique and build of Okonkwo as described in the novel. He's only made it big in Nollywood cos mediocrity thrives in the Industry.

@ Topic

Lots of NLDers listing their favourite novels/books and wishing they're adapted into movies lol. grin

There's a reason why some books/novels have not been made into movies. . .they're "unfilmable". This could be due to setting, the fact that events must occur in a finite amount of time in a film and a host of other factors.

Lots of books have been mentioned here but not all are intriguing enough for me to want to see on the big screen. eg Chike and the River, Eze Goes To School, The Bottled Leopard etc. All these are kid/adolescent books akin to the Enid Blytons, Famous Five, Secret Seven etc that I read while growing up and God forbid I couldn't stay thru' 15mins of them. I be small pickin? undecided

Give me some of the mature stuff - Some of the more realistic Pacesetters novels, Buchi Emecheta's Joys of Motherhood, Chukwuemeka Ike's Toads For Supper, Chinua Achebe's Arrow of God, Nyengi Koin's Time Changes Yesterday etc.

As per Nairaland Writers, I think Repogirl's The One Who Awaits could be nicely adapted into a movie.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by SmashingM(f): 11:36am On Apr 30, 2013
Second Class Citizen...i've forgotten the author
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by alosiby92(f): 11:51am On Apr 30, 2013
Deighbour: How come Ŋo̶̷̩̥̊͡ one mentioned "Half of a yellow sun?"
Its already been made into a film...I'm not too sure its out yet, but they have filmed it with non-nigerians and Genevieve and OC Ukeje
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Brains1313(m): 11:55am On Apr 30, 2013
timbros: * An African Night's Entertainment
* Things Fall Apart used to watch it in NTA early 90s but would love to watch it as a movie
There were too many flaws and limitations in the 'Things Fall Apart' NTA series. I sure would love to see the movie and cartoon versions of it.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Brains1313(m): 12:04pm On Apr 30, 2013
Phonon: All the books in the "Pacesetter Series".I loved those books as a child.
I love those series that brought the writing skills of African writers to the fore.

I remember,
Sisi,
The wages of sin,
Black Thursday,
Evbu my love,
Angel of death and a host of others.

Please, can somebody in the house tell me where I can get the Pacestter series?

Can we ever have such days again?
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Brains1313(m): 12:09pm On Apr 30, 2013
Uwakuwak: The incorruptable judge.

On point and it is a play that has become relevant for us as a nation today.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Brains1313(m): 12:23pm On Apr 30, 2013
oyinmio: Time Changes everyday. Not very sure of the title but was so pathetic. Read it
in 1985 when I was in form one in Zaria.

I think it is 'Time Changes Yesterday'.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Brains1313(m): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:
oN POINT!
Cant bliv i cried @ two great points along the story - those times Ona was suffering at the husband's house and when she died in the village

furthermore, i remained emotional throughout my reading , still when i finished reading the novel, i felt malaise for many days, just from one fictional book o.

@ OP, buchi emecheta series, Joys of motherhood, 'Second class citizen' made me cry too(how person go marry that kind wicked husband) ,etc. Inshort, Buchi don punish me wella with her writing.

2) Flora Nwapa series esp One is Enough

3) Chukwemeka Ike series - Bottled Leopard and Conspiracy of silence(that novel nah die)

4) Chinua's No longer @ ease; Arrow Of God , evn Chike and the River.

5) Eze Goes To School (Another bomb) with its sequelae Eze Goes To College.

6) Great expectations by Charles Dickens. Less emotions though.

will come back for more

Great expectations is not a Nigerian novel. But I read the unabridged edition and actually wept. Life na wao. And all books mentioned are on point and I am feeling nostalgic right now.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by dominique(f): 1:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
adexsimply: bEZE GOES TO SCHOOL
THE SECRET OF THE SHEIK

ECHOES OF MERCY
i read some nice books by Cyprian Ekwensi..but av forgotten most of the titles..i think nigeria has a problem with proper documentation of their books..you cant even google most of their books to search for author names and... angry angry

That book is one heck of a thriller. Won't mind reading it again.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by esn1(f): 1:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
1)The concubine
2) Iska (It has the Hausa setting and characters)
3) Efuru
4)Outrage by Ogochukwu Promise and all her works.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by dominique(f): 1:04pm On Apr 30, 2013
Deighbour: How come Ŋo̶̷̩̥̊͡ one mentioned "Half of a yellow sun?"

Its already been adapted to a movie tho not yet released
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by adexsimply(m): 1:09pm On Apr 30, 2013
dominique: .

That book is one heck of a thriller. Won't mind reading it again.
i tell you..i still blame myself for returning the book to the owner..never laid my eyes on it since then sad sad sad
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by dominique(f): 1:51pm On Apr 30, 2013
adexsimply: i tell you..i still blame myself for returning the book to the owner..never laid my eyes on it since then sad sad sad

Your own still good. till today, I still don't know how it ended cos it was torn towards the end cry. I've searched everywhere for it too sad.

@topic
Classic books will make exceptional adaptations
Toads for supper by Chukwuemeka Ike
Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe
Time changes yesterday by Nyengi koin (one of my all time faves)

Recent books like
Purble hibiscus by Chimamanda Adiche
Onaedo the Blacksmith's Daughter by Ngozi Achebe will also make good adaptations
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by coalcoal1(m): 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
Chike and the river
My father's car by S M O Aka
Rich girl poor boy (pacesetter series)
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by ekaromail: 2:18pm On Apr 30, 2013
The passport of Mallam Ilia
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Yasmeena(f): 2:31pm On Apr 30, 2013
CHIMAMANDA'S HALF OF A YELLOW SUN WILL MAKE SO MUCH SENSE! IT WILL BE A BLOCK BUSTER IF PROPERLY DIRECTED.
I THINK ITS ALREADY BEEN ADAPTED INTO A MOVIE ANYWAY.
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Ify2excel: 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
mrjingles: 1. An African Night's Entertainment
2. The Passport of Mallam Iliya
3. On the road
4 Mark of the Cobra
5. Stop Press: Murder
6. The South African Affair
7. Christmas in the city
8. Bloodbath at Lobster close
9. The Smugglers
10. The Instrument
11. Stone of vengeance
12. The Worshippers
etc etc
guy i'm with u on this. I read those books way in high school in the early 90s. R they still in print? Where can i get them to download?
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Ify2excel: 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
mrjingles: 1. An African Night's Entertainment
2. The Passport of Mallam Iliya
3. On the road
4 Mark of the Cobra
5. Stop Press: Murder
6. The South African Affair
7. Christmas in the city
8. Bloodbath at Lobster close
9. The Smugglers
10. The Instrument
11. Stone of vengeance
12. The Worshippers
etc etc
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Yasmeena(f): 2:34pm On Apr 30, 2013
esn1: 1)The concubine
2) Iska (It has the Hausa setting and characters)
3) Efuru
4)Outrage by Ogochukwu Promise and all her works.
Efuru! That's one book i'll neva get tired of reading.. i still have the torn pieces in my drawer.. starts from page 21, but i'm still keeping it! Dos anyone know a good bookshop in Abuja where i can buy all this good old memorable books?
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
Emmanueledu: I will love to see purple Hibiscus filmed!with Olu jacobs acting kambili's dad.
chinwetalu Agu or evn Pete Edochie will be fit better- they are more stern

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by jadelord(m): 4:12pm On Apr 30, 2013
there is one that will blow ur mind.... not at liberty to mention its title cos its already in d making
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by jadelord(m): 4:14pm On Apr 30, 2013
Yasmeena:
Efuru! That's one book i'll neva get tired of reading.. i still have the torn pieces in my drawer.. starts from page 21, but i'm still keeping it! Dos anyone know a good bookshop in Abuja where i can buy all this good old memorable books?

try online book stores
Re: Which Nigerian Book Would You Want Adapted Into A Movie? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
Chinedu ofomata series
1) Ihe ojoo gbaa afo
2) Ihe onye metere

Tony ubsie's - 'Ihe ndi mmuo ji nti oke eme'.
Without a silver spoon
D beautiful ones are not yet born

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kate Henshaw Laughs Uncontrollably At A Contestant On Nigeria’s Got Talent / Stop Selling Foreign Films - NFVCB - National Film & Videos Censors Board / Interestin Korean Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.