Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,934 members, 7,817,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo (8153 Views)

Kwankwaso’s Greatest Mistake In Life Was Installing Ganduje As Governor – Aide / “the Issues Of Biafra Was Settled In 1970″ – ACF Blasts Ndigbo Leaders / Biafra: Was Gowon Clueless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Ramnon2: 3:32am On May 04, 2013
Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra was our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo
Share This

Asari Leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF), Alhaji Mujahid Dokubo Asari, late this morning spoke about his anguish over the failure by his people to allow the breakaway Republic of Biafra to succeed.

Launched in 1967 by the old East under the command of the late Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Biafra was crushed three years after by the Nigerian Government and its international allies.

In a post on his Facebook wall around noon, Dokubo regretted the role played by the then so called eastern minorities in sabotaging Biafra. He also cast his vote for an Igbo or Middle Belt person to succeed President Goodluck Jonathan.

The post, which appears to be excerpts of a speech delivered at a meeting of Niger Delta, Igbo and Middle Belt groups, says thus: “Today, if anything will stir me to fight, it is my belief that Biafra was right. When I was growing up, we were told a lot of things to hate Biafra. Maybe some of us were persuaded. But the more I grow up, the more I realize that it was the greatest mistake we made for not allowing Biafra to stand. “You might not feel the pain that I feel, but if an Igbo man does not feel the pain that I feel, I am sorry for him. If an Urhobo man doesn’t feel the pain, I am sorry for him. “What Ojukwu lived and died for, in the coming years, we will see it with our eyes because of the arrogance of a few people that were born to rule, and everybody accepts it. When you want to talk they say leave them alone. Why should I leave them? If you don’t bend your back, nobody will ride you. “For the first time in history, the divide and rule tactics of those who have kept us down failed and the Igbo voted more for President Jonathan than the people of the South-South. “Our gathering today is to bring the gathering of the dispossessed and oppressed people of the Middle Belt, Ndigbo people and the people of the Niger Delta together and we are going to move like a force. “Let nobody be apologetic. What we want is political power. Political power is the key to our development and our dignity, and political power we must own come 2015. If President Jonathan says he is not contesting, we must hold on to the presidency. Either an Igbo man takes it or someone from the Middle Belt, we will continue to hold it.”

https://www.facebook.com/mujahid.dokuboasari?fref=ts

and also

http://thegistarena.com/2013/05/supporting-nigeria-against-biafra-was-our-greatest-mistake-asari-dokubo/

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Ramnon2: 3:32am On May 04, 2013
Hehehehe!! I laugh in okokobioko language

2 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Nobody: 5:15am On May 04, 2013
Regrets and mistakes are memories made-Adele.
Is it morning for Asari or does he want to play to the gallery?
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Madawaki01(m): 5:21am On May 04, 2013
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Tigerhead: 5:26am On May 04, 2013
I don't agree with Asari. We would have had to fight another war to free ourselves from the south easterners.

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by masu: 5:43am On May 04, 2013
I agree with asari on this bcus we the middle beltans continue to regret thw mistate our fathers made.

An ibo man love live and let live.

6 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Katier00(f): 5:58am On May 04, 2013
too late to cry when d head is ................?

3 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Sealeddeal(m): 6:04am On May 04, 2013
Asari may be saying this for political purposes. However,for citing the case of the civil war,it makes me believe that some Niger Deltans are really regretting their past actions.

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by phantom(m): 6:10am On May 04, 2013
Like the first poster said is he for real or just playing to the gallery?
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by tarryT(m): 6:20am On May 04, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by ebamma(m): 6:27am On May 04, 2013
Tigerhead: I don't agree with Asari. We would have had to fight another war to free ourselves from the south easterners.
my brother na so, i'm not even sure ojukwu will have loved to step down for another person if biafra have suceeded

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by ebamma(m): 6:30am On May 04, 2013
tarryT: How many wars have we fought now? When was the last time we had trouble with the SE?

I completely agree with Asari,.. E. K Clark have made similar comment..

U just have to accept that Boro made a mistake.. The reasons why he took FG to court and later jailed are still persisting.
Boro didn't make a mistake, he knew that if biafra became a republic, we niger deltans will still be in the minority, and ojukwu still had dictatorial tendencies

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Bobandgreat: 6:41am On May 04, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]]quote author=ebamma]Boro didn't make a mistake, he knew that if biafra became a republic, we niger deltans will still be in the minority, and ojukwu still had dicta[center][/center]tori

al tendencies[/quote]

I don't dispute the fact that there will be power plays but we would have evolved as a nation competing with the likes of South Africa, South Korea, Malaysia in development instead battling to survive Hausa/Fulani killings everyday in this country. How can u support a people that hate u because of ur different religion and culture. A people that want to enslave u with their Virgin seeking ideologies. Gosh somepeople still baffle me. Emancipate urselves.

9 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by confusion247(m): 7:15am On May 04, 2013
ebamma: Boro didn't make a mistake, he knew that if biafra became a republic, we niger deltans will still be in the minority, and ojukwu still had dictatorial tendencies
Rise above hatred. Today, are you in the majority with the northerners? How many times have you had any issue with the south east people? How many of your people have the people of south east killed as northerners are doing? Who and who owns the oil well in your back yard? How many houses does northerners have in your south south? Give yourself a genuine reason for your hatred on the Igbos. Ojukwu had dictatorial tendencies because he is a soldier, same goes with Obasanjo and any military man in power. What have you gained from Nigeria after supporting them and making yourself a slave and a beggar? The oil in your back yard was used to develop north, while you stay in your polluted land and beg for 50% resource control. I challenge you to mention three ways Ojukwu used to enslave the people of south south. Just look at abuja and tell me that the money that developed abuja came from groundnut and sugar cane. Are you not ashamed that after supporting Nigeria you have nothing to show for it. The earlier you reason like a human the better for you.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by phantom(m): 7:17am On May 04, 2013
confusion247:
Rise above hatred. Today, are you in the majority with the northerners? How many times have you had any issue with the south east people? How many of your people have the people of south east killed as northerners are doing? Who and who owns the oil well in your back yard? How many houses does northerners have in your south south? Give yourself a genuine reason for your hatred on the Igbos. Ojukwu had dictatorial tendencies because he is a soldier, same goes with Obasanjo and any military man in power. What have you gained from Nigeria after supporting them and making yourself a slave and a beggar? The oil in your back yard was used to develop north, while you stay in your polluted land and beg for 50% resource control. I challenge you to mention three ways Ojukwu used to enslave the people of south south. Just look at abuja and tell me that the money that developed abuja came from groundnut and sugar cane. Are you not ashamed that after supporting Nigeria you have nothing to show for it. The earlier you reason like a human the better for you.
classic post!

4 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Elueme: 7:20am On May 04, 2013
Exactly. Asari shares in my thought and same with many Niger deltans today. Our ancestors were brainwashed to pursue the course of a greedy majority by fighting against the Biafrs dream. Insinuating that Ojukwu and co would have been dictatorial is only imaginative, it couldn't have been worse than what the north has put us through.
It may be late but through a strong political alliance we can make the core north a minority in Nigeria politics but the Yorubas may play the spoil as they seem to be created to work for the north lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by okosodo: 7:21am On May 04, 2013
Some ijaw people here do not want to regret the actions of thei parents. But wait, who own the oil? Who is eating the oil money over 80%. I do not think an ibo nation will do that and still be complaining that we are not surrendering enough
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Nobody: 7:27am On May 04, 2013
So what's the way forward? fight another war to correct the mistakes of the SouthSouth?

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by confusion247(m): 7:28am On May 04, 2013
Tigerhead: I don't agree with Asari. We would have had to fight another war to free ourselves from the south easterners.
Today are you free? Boro and Saro wiwa are prove that you did the right thing. 80% of your oil well that belong to northerners are also prove that your ancestors and you made the right decision. Northerners not giving your brother Uncle Jona a breathing space as president is also a prove that you people were right to fight against BIAFRA. Accept the environmental degradation and pollution in your area and stop making much noise about resource control because those are dividends of ONE NIGERIA that your ancestors fought very hard to have. Ogoni land today is another evidence that ONE Nigeria is the best that can happen to south south people. The people of south east have accepted their fate but all those that supported One Nigeria are regretting it. Ask Gowon and his people what they are passing through in the hands of fulani herdsmen.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Obiagu1(m): 7:28am On May 04, 2013
utumunta: Regrets and mistakes are memories made-Adele.
Is it morning for Asari or does he want to play to the gallery?

If this is not an old news, I will say that Asari has been saying same thing for a while now.
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by ZUBY77(m): 7:40am On May 04, 2013
One thing ii am sure of now is that if the War starts again'
The south south will join south east without delay. They already know their mistakes.

More than half of south south are igbos.
Ikwere, asaba are igbos.
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by eagleeye2: 7:45am On May 04, 2013
ebamma: Boro didn't make a mistake, he knew that if biafra became a republic, we niger deltans will still be in the minority, and ojukwu still had dictatorial tendencies
how will the Niger Deltans be in the minority, when a ND was already Ojukwu's deputy?
What has happened has happened..... let the Igbo's carry their cross and lick their wounds and let ND keep fighting to hold power and gain full resource control.

1 Like

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by eagleeye2: 7:49am On May 04, 2013
ZUBY77: One thing ii am sure of now is that if the War starts again'
The south south will join south east without delay. They already know their mistakes.

Ikwere, asaba are igbos.
There will be no other war, and if there is, the Igbo's will be by the side watching the turn out of events.
3Million lives is not a joke, we won't do that gamble a second time..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Rhino5dm: 7:49am On May 04, 2013
ZUBY77: One thing ii am sure of now is that if the War starts again'

Ikwere, asaba are igbos.

Any stats to this? Or this is just another,"we are 70% of Lagos?". . I guess something will never change.
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by baynix(m): 7:55am On May 04, 2013
hehehe!! grin grin ntoi ntoi ntoi!! tongue tongue

No Space For Y'all Biafra Again!
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Afam4eva(m): 8:04am On May 04, 2013
I think thr ND leadersd of those days were not smart. Let's assuming everything they were saying Igbos was true, how bad could it have been. You couldn't definitely be better under Nigeria compared to under Biafra. Biafra was a smalleer country and would have definitelt meant more power of the ND in the union. Isn't it funny that the same ND are lamenting under the present arrangement. One would have though that things would be better for them in Nigeria but the reality is the opposite.

Let's also make it clear that it was not the whole ND that supported the FG. It was the Ijaws and some minority groups in Rivers state that supported Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Nobody: 8:15am On May 04, 2013
Had I known, shouldda, couldda, wouldda etc.. grin

Those who made the decision back then did the right thing based on what was attainable in the scheme of things... Nigeria hasn't been great to most but the Eastern region back then was fvcked as well, tbh

Move on!!
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by sasview: 8:28am On May 04, 2013
Ramnon.2:
Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra was our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo
Share This

Asari Leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF), Alhaji Mujahid Dokubo Asari, late this morning spoke about his anguish over the failure by his people to allow the breakaway Republic of Biafra to succeed.

Launched in 1967 by the old East under the command of the late Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Biafra was crushed three years after by the Nigerian Government and its international allies.

In a post on his Facebook wall around noon, Dokubo regretted the role played by the then so called eastern minorities in sabotaging Biafra. He also cast his vote for an Igbo or Middle Belt person to succeed President Goodluck Jonathan.

The post, which appears to be excerpts of a speech delivered at a meeting of Niger Delta, Igbo and Middle Belt groups, says thus: “Today, if anything will stir me to fight, it is my belief that Biafra was right. When I was growing up, we were told a lot of things to hate Biafra. Maybe some of us were persuaded. But the more I grow up, the more I realize that it was the greatest mistake we made for not allowing Biafra to stand. “You might not feel the pain that I feel, but if an Igbo man does not feel the pain that I feel, I am sorry for him. If an Urhobo man doesn’t feel the pain, I am sorry for him. “What Ojukwu lived and died for, in the coming years, we will see it with our eyes because of the arrogance of a few people that were born to rule, and everybody accepts it. When you want to talk they say leave them alone. Why should I leave them? If you don’t bend your back, nobody will ride you. “For the first time in history, the divide and rule tactics of those who have kept us down failed and the Igbo voted more for President Jonathan than the people of the South-South. “Our gathering today is to bring the gathering of the dispossessed and oppressed people of the Middle Belt, Ndigbo people and the people of the Niger Delta together and we are going to move like a force. “Let nobody be apologetic. What we want is political power. Political power is the key to our development and our dignity, and political power we must own come 2015. If President Jonathan says he is not contesting, we must hold on to the presidency. Either an Igbo man takes it or someone from the Middle Belt, we will continue to hold it.”

https://www.facebook.com/mujahid.dokuboasari?fref=ts

and also

http://thegistarena.com/2013/05/supporting-nigeria-against-biafra-was-our-greatest-mistake-asari-dokubo/

tell me you are not also guilty of the born to rule syndrome with your statement(@ bolded), so you are keen of igbo or middle belt president that will be sharing the treasures of the country with you in style than good governance? bunch of selfish people. SMH
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Nobody: 8:29am On May 04, 2013
phantom: classic post!

Seconded and thirded
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Bigflamie(m): 8:29am On May 04, 2013
Crying over spilt milk, rubbish
Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by kettykings: 8:33am On May 04, 2013

I am trying hard to digest what you just spewed out, would the Ijaws be fighting to free themselves from what ?
Biafra would have been one of the fastest growing countries in the world , it would have been Technologically at par with the Asain Tigers , Biafra would have been a technology power manufacturing automobiles, refineries, Telecommunication gears, military hardware , electronic gadgets e.t.c Bifara would have also been an economic power at par with most of Europe and Asia.

Biafra would have been a sports Giant, Entertainment Giant producing movies that would winning prizes at cannes and other movies festivals , words can never really define what Biafra really would have been ,it would be more like having a japanese / south Korean country that is made of blacks. it would have been so dignifying to the black race and to the world

Biafra would really have been the real Black giant that would have projected the image of the blacks to the world , i really do not understand where and what Ijaws would be fighting for to free themselves from that type of country or emancipate themselves from Igbos when Igbos never really dominated you even before colonization, we are talking of a country liberated from dead woods who dont think growth but how they can embezzle and kill projects.

9 Likes

Re: Supporting Nigeria Against Biafra Was Our Greatest Mistake — Asari Dokubo by Zonacom(m): 8:41am On May 04, 2013
Even a certain middle belt youth forum said something like this sometime last year. Fact is, the 'mistakes' of the past have been made already. What is left now is correction. To Prevent the north from ruling for something like ten years to come is very impossible, that i'm sure of

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What My Husband Told Me About Nigeria Before His Death – Turai Yar’adua / Man Insists Obasanjo Is From Anambra And Not Owu / Dare Kadiri Drags Ogun Assembly To Court, Demands N1.5bn Damages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.