Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,701 members, 7,823,979 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo (14879 Views)

An Excerpt From El-rufai’s Book ‘the Accidental Public Servant’ On Atiku AGAIN! / Fani-kayode’s Intellectual Fraud Against Ndigbo / Man Jailed For Pirating El-Rufai's Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Akpangbon: 1:12pm On May 06, 2013
DrummaBoy:

^^^^^^^^ A million likes for the above.
Soludo has neither impressed by his performace in office nor by his reponse here. He has only taken time to show that the mallam was right: Soludo is a politician and he is the one guilty of being an intellectual fraud.

You need to check in to the next available asylum boy.

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by ossaisly(m): 1:16pm On May 06, 2013
am beginning to enjoy Nigeria. A situation whereby the elites,politicians and intellectuals tackle each other through books. This will help an average Nigerian in many ramifications such as who and who is killing this country and many more.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by jaybee(f): 1:19pm On May 06, 2013
bayooooooo: [size=18pt]Nasir el-Rufai’s Book as Intellectual Fraud?[/size]

Although there is no single definition of fraud, the online definitions that come to mind as one reads Nasir el-Rufai’s book (The Accidental Public Servant) is “fraud as course of deception, an intentional concealment, omission, or perversion of truth”, or “an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual”. I know el-Rufai as a brilliant fellow and I certainly expected a definitive book. His stated objective was to “tell the story of my public service years…” but it turned out a very bad example of how to write a memoir. It is more of wild concoctions and commentaries on imagined events outside of his “public service years”. As I read parts of the book that relate to things that I should know about, I shook my head in disbelief. I could not believe that el-Rufai could descend so low. While I will surely correct many of his wrong narratives in my book, I thought I have a duty to make a preliminary response – for public records!

[b]
Contrary to his narrative, most of us in government knew that el-Rufai desperately wanted to succeed President Olusegun Obasanjo as president. He plotted and schemed, destroying anyone perceived to be potentially in his way. Obasanjo scorned him; the scheme through the PDP Reform Forum failed; and with the bid to replace Major General Muhammadu Buhari in Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) still a work in progress, it is understandable that the bitterness would find succor in a book to smear and destroy any known potential threat. The only good person in the whole book is el-Rufai, and perhaps also my dear sister, Oby Ezekwesili. For him, it is either that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was power hungry or that “Charles was not grateful”. We understand his motives, but for him to also fabricate stories about Obasanjo, Atiku Abubakar, and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu the way he did (the three persons that literally made him tick in government) speaks volumes. What a very grateful person! My people have a proverb that when a foolish and disrespectful child utters abomination before his elders, he beats his chest that he has exhibited uncommon courage.
[/b]

The book is grossly dishonest. It is amusing to read the purported conversations he had with President Obasanjo on the third term bid. One reads almost two or three pages as quotes from the conversation and most parts of the book are replete with similar long quotes of purported conversations (all in inverted commas). This tactic was deceptively employed to give the impression of authenticity to the claims of such conversations. Surely, it is impossible to report the proceedings of a meeting or conversation verbatim after the meeting. It would therefore mean either that he was tape-recording every private conversation he had with people or that he simply fabricated those long quotes. If he cannot produce the tape recordings of those conversations (which I believe he doesn’t have), he should be honest enough to admit that he made up those stories/quotes. It is too cheap of him to fabricate those quotes and seek to exploit the gullibility of the reading public to damage other people.

I was amused by el-Rufai’s disingenuous attempt to frame stories about the Economic Management Team, which he forced himself upon and probably destroyed. As pertains to me, he lied all the way in an attempt to concoct a mischievous narrative or plot. He calls Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala “Ngozi”. I call her “Madam”. He tells a fairy tale of how I was a student or protégé of Ngozi’s father. Sorry el-Rufai, the respected Prof. Okonjo had left University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) before I became a student, and our paths did not cross until the mid-1990s (while my Ph.D was in 1989). If you even called Ngozi on the phone, she would have confirmed to you that she never got any consulting contract for me at the World Bank or any multilateral institution as you claimed. If you cared for the facts, you would have known that I began to interact with Ngozi in late 1999, in the fourth month of my 18-month consulting assignment at the World Bank (an assignment to which I was nominated by three pan-African Institutions – ADB, UNECA, and AERC – for the project on “Can Africa Claim the 21st Century”). You don’t lie about matters that have records.

For your information el-Rufai, before I met anyone of you at the original Economic Management Team, I had (for a decade) lived in Ethiopia, United Kingdom, and United States of America (USA) and traveled to 45 other countries as an itinerant scholar and consultant; worked at the United Nations; been to Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick Universities; was a visiting professor at Swarthmore, USA; and consultant to 18 international organisations including the World Bank, IMF, OECD, EU, ADB, various UN agencies, etc. I have been consultant to different departments of the World Bank at different times, including being on the Chief Economist Advisory Council (CEAC) for the period 2005 - 2012 and no Nigerian had anything to do with any of them. I spent 19 months at the Brookings Institution, USA (January 1991 – July 1992; and three months in 1998) but according to el-Rufai, I went to Brookings after a consulting job at the World Bank (which would then mean ‘after 2000’?). According to el-Rufai, I became Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in “mid 2005” instead of May 2004. He manufactures both the facts as well as the comments.

By el-Rufai’s own account in the book, the approval to embark on the demolition of properties in Abuja was obtained on 30th August, 2003. I state (and challenge him to prove otherwise) that Ngozi was no longer staying at Bolingo Hotel by the time he started his demolition programme. How can you then fabricate a story that we met at her suite in Bolingo Hotel and also fabricate a purported quotation of what I told you, which among other things, referred to your demolition programme? I thought you were smart enough el-Rufai to at least lie consistently. Is this not fool proof that you made up all the quotations in the book?

As at the last count, no less than 15 persons claimed to have recommended me as Chief Economic Adviser or Central Bank Governor. My simple response to all is: thank you! Thank you also el-Rufai if indeed you played the role I have just read from your book that you played in my appointment as Chief Economic Adviser. Of course, President Obasanjo is still alive and several of the actors are also alive. In my own memoir, I will detail how I joined President Obasanjo’s government. I have also heard fantastic claims of some people that they literally appointed me governor of CBN. In a recent chat with President Obasanjo, he for the umpteenth time insisted that nobody can ever claim to have advised him to appoint me as governor of CBN. He reminded me that even I did not know—which is a fact!

El-Rufai also conveniently forgot that he first met me in late 2000 when I came from the US to help the federal government prepare for the IMF Article IV consultations and also train senior staff of CBN, Ministry of Finance and National Planning on the macroeconomic and technical computations involved (paid for by USAID). el-Rufai chose to forget that he pleaded for my technical assistance to Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) as a consultant but I told him I was too busy with my international assignments. I rather offered to attend any of his privatisation committee meetings anytime I was in the country and to offer my services free of charge. He forgot that I wrote several technical notes to help him succeed, including being the sole author of the initial draft “Anti-trust and Competition Policy” – all free of charge!

El-Rufai seemed unhappy that I gave every credit of our achievement to President Obasanjo. Well, I am informed enough to know that in a presidential system of government, only the president is elected with the mandate to govern and every appointed person in the executive branch has a delegated responsibility to assist him. Only in Nigeria would you see a minister or appointed official write books to take credit for achievements in office. As governor of the central bank, I made it clear that I received every award or recognition on behalf of the president. I have no apologies for that.

Interestingly, el-Rufai tells the story of the great achievements of President Obasanjo in restoring the Abuja masterplan, using him as an assistant. I thank him for at least acknowledging that the idea to restore the masterplan was Obasanjo’s and that he drove it all the way. What he did not tell is the story of how el-Rufai’s vindictiveness almost ruined the exercise as well as the monumental fraud associated with it. This is for another day!

Of course, el-Rufai could not hide his opposition to the banking sector consolidation. Unfortunately as we say in my place, you cannot cover the moon with your palms. You may not like Soludo or Obasanjo, but in the last 27 years, there are two fundamental structural transformations of the Nigerian economy that have taken place – the telecommunications revolution, and the banking sector revolution (consolidation). Ours was not a mere reform, it was a revolution! Nigeria’s only transnational corporations were built in three years.

We put two Nigerian banks in the top 300 banks in the world and they remain there, and nine others in the top 1,000 (there was none before my tenure). The Nigerian private sector as we know it today (especially the new economy in oil and gas and emerging big businesses) largely owes its wealth to our revolution. The world acknowledges that without our foresight and courage, the Nigerian financial system and economy would have collapsed during the global financial crisis. We developed a robust, transparent and no-nonsense regulatory and supervisory regime before the global crisis, and left behind one of the strongest banking systems that was globally rated in the same league as those of Israel, India, China, and Russia. You chose to forget that we revoked the licenses of 14 banks in one day (unprecedented in our history), including banks owned by my friends. This is a story for another day!

The story of how we built the world’s fastest growing financial system and Nigeria’s largest transnational corporations in three years, rescued the entire system from collapse despite the unprecedented four shocks that buffeted the system during the global crisis, on course to fully restructure the few ailing banks before the end of 2009 with or without a penny from government; and designed the comprehensive roadmap for sustainability and growth (under FSS 2020) is told in my book. Our Financial System Strategy (FSS 2020) remains the roadmap till date. Sorry el-Rufai, there is little you can do about this record. Even with ten 234NEXT newspapers, and 20 other books, you cannot re-write history!

Since el-Rufai takes pleasure in reporting what ordinarily should be private conversations, let me also take the liberty to report that he admitted to me on April 28, 2013 that what he wrote about me were the “impressions” he was given. That for me summed it up. My advice el-Rufai, is that you don’t collect some hair dressing salon gossip, hearsay, ‘impressions’, and wild imaginations – all intentionally designed to damage others, and bind them into a book without crosschecking the facts. That is intellectual fraud!

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nasir-el-rufai-s-book-as-intellectual-fraud-/146818/

[size=14pt]THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU CHARLES. EL RUFAI MUST NOT GO SCOT FREE WITH THIS 'FRAUD'.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Trut(m): 1:28pm On May 06, 2013
Omo, too much GRAMMERS plenty for dis story.
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by 1shortblackboy: 1:28pm On May 06, 2013
Ozonna: tongue. Meanwhile, Soludo's CV is tight
i dey tell u shocked

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 06, 2013
So El-Rufai talked about Prof. Soludo in his book? I have not read it cos am not an accidental reader. This is just a synopsis from Prof. El-Rufai should waite for the main thesis.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Sealeddeal(m): 1:32pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

" Out of School a man is not judged by his grades ; but by the changes he brings and the promises he keeps". We know how much of mess the banking system was in when Soludo left the CBN and we don't know how many promises he kept as a public servant. Soludo's response to El - Rufa'i is ungentlemanly and extremely unsatisfactory for the intellectual he claims to be and it all sounds like sour grapes. People who can write do so all their lives and if Soludo is waiting for the end of his career to start writing , tell him that he is late by 4 years now when his career ended shamefully.
you dont just chose whatever you want just to judge someone.You have do that in a way that will be credible. You cant only judge Prof.Soludo with how Nigerian banking system was after his resignation. If you want to make a credible assessment,you have to start by how Nigerian/world banking system was before he became the governor of CBN and how it was after his term as Central bank governor. Prof Soludo achieved a great and enviable feat as a governor of CBN.

8 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by djon78(m): 1:33pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

" Out of School a man is not judged by his grades ; but by the changes he brings and the promises he keeps". We know how much of mess the banking system was in when Soludo left the CBN and we don't know how many promises he kept as a public servant. Soludo's response to El - Rufa'i is ungentlemanly and extremely unsatisfactory for the intellectual he claims to be and it all sounds like sour grapes. People who can write do so all their lives and if Soludo is waiting for the end of his career to start writing , tell him that he is late by 4 years now when his career ended shamefully.
El-rufai cannot even clean Soludos shoes dnt even go there they are not mates nor match. As for Soludos acheivement his bank consolidatioin still stands out, Nigerian banks were not even in Africas top 20 but today look at their position, he made his mistakes but still his achievements surpases his mistakes. Saniusi tried in his risk reforms but today there is nothing stimulating the banking sector, they are asleep, a vibrant banking sector is the blood of a vibrant economy, how are Nigerian banks today vis a vis the Nigerian economy?

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by CasCas2: 1:37pm On May 06, 2013
I am grossly inclined to believe Soludo!! Facts will always win arguments that is for when the audience has brains.

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 06, 2013
Who even takes el'rufai serious?
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by agabaI23(m): 1:58pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

I can see SOUR GRAPES all over the place. El-R[b]ufa'i who claims no professorship has written a 600 page book [/b]and this "Professor" spent the whole of last 3 months working to come out with one page of sour Soludo grapes and list of countries he visited. A man who connived with others to ruin the banking sector in Nigeria.I wonder if his friend Cecilia Ibru is still in prison and I wonder why he is not. All these profeessors of nose picking should better shut up if they cannot produce their own story. Any waanker can sit down and churn out this rubbish.

See a few of his write ups and books

"North-sorth macroeconomic interactions: Comparative analysis using the MULTIMOD and INTERMOD global models", Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Brookings discussion papers in international economics, Brookings Institution (1992)

"Implications of alternative macroeconomic policy responses to external shocks in Africa", Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)

"Growth performance in Africa: Further evidence on the external shocks versus domestic policy debate", Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)

"The Consequences of U.S. Fiscal Actions in a Global Model with Alternative Assumptions about the Exchange Regime in Developing Countries”, Ralph C. Bryan and Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Chapter 13 in David Currie and David Vines, eds., North-South Linkages and International Macroeconomic Policy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press for the Centre for Economic Policy Research. (Brookings Discussion Paper in International Economics No. 103. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution, February 1994.)

"Macroeconomic adjustment, trade, and growth: Policy analysis using a macroeconomic model of Nigeria", Charles Chukwuma Soludo, AERC research paper, African Economic Research Consortium (1995) ISBN 9966-900-26-8 ISBN 978-9966900265
Soludo, Charles Chukwuma (1998). Macroeconomic Policy Modelling of African Economies. Acena. ISBN 978-2114-29-4.

"Our Continent, Our Future: African Perspectives on Structural Adjustment", T. Mkandawire and C.C. Soludo, Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa, Dakar, 1999, in Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 1:2, 1999.

"African Voices on Structural Adjustment: A Companion to Our Continent, Our Future", Edited by Thandika Mkandawire and Charles C. Soludo. At least three editions: IDRC/CODESRIA/Africa World Press 2002, ISBN 0-88936-888-0, 280 pp.; Paperback, ISBN 978-0-88936-888-0 Jan 2003; Africa World Press 2003, ISBN 0-86543-779-3
Okonjo-Iweala, Ngozi; Charles Chukwuma Soludo and Mansur Muhtar (2002). The Debt Trap in Nigeria: Towards a Sustainable Debt Strategy. Africa World Press. ISBN 1-59221-001-5.

"The Politics of Trade and Industrial Policy in Africa: Forced Consensus", Edited by Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Michael Osita Ogbu and Ha-Joon Chang, Africa World Press (January 2004), ISBN 1-59221-164-X, ISBN 978-1-59221-164-7 (Also International Development Research Centre, ISBN 1-59221-165-cool

"Potential Impacts of the New Global Financial Architecture on Poor Countries", Edited by Charles Soludo, Musunuru Rao, ISBN 978-2-86978-158-0, 80 pages, 2006, CODESRIA, Senegal, Paperback

10 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by DontJustDoIt: 1:58pm On May 06, 2013
1MCN: Ol' boy, see CV!
See achievements!
This Soludo guy don make me feel say my CV dey learn. Omo, this na intimidation!
Next time el-rufai wont dare those ahead of him in facts and figures.
But, chai, if this rejoinder enter public circle wela all the osusu wey suppose enter our bros el rufai pocket from that im book don do vuum.
But e just be like say that el rufai guy like to open im own n.y*sh by imsef.
God bless 9ja and im people.

As in ehn... wicked credentials o! my guy...

"...For your information el-Rufai, before I met anyone of you at the original Economic Management Team, I had (for a decade) lived in Ethiopia, United Kingdom, and United States of America (USA) and traveled to 45 other countries as an itinerant scholar and consultant; worked at the United Nations; been to Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick Universities; was a visiting professor at Swarthmore, USA; and consultant to 18 international organisations including the World Bank, IMF, OECD, EU, ADB, various UN agencies, etc. I have been consultant to different departments of the World Bank at different times, including being on the Chief Economist Advisory Council (CEAC) for the period 2005 - 2012 and no Nigerian had anything to do with any of them. I spent 19 months at the Brookings Institution, USA (January 1991 – July 1992; and three months in 1998) but according to el-Rufai, I went to Brookings after a consulting job at the World Bank (which would then mean ‘after 2000’?). According to el-Rufai, I became Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in “mid 2005” instead of May 2004. He manufactures both the facts as well as the comments."

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by dammytosh: 1:58pm On May 06, 2013
Akpangbon: ^^^^^

Of all the lies he had been accused of concocting, the only comment you have is to blame Soludo for responding by writing a book in the press. With the way you think, you will end up another EL Rufai.

No curse the dude but Amen to your prayers.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by dammytosh: 2:03pm On May 06, 2013
I have read El Rufai's book and even though i know nothing about what happened when he was in Government. I have always been of the opinion that the book is a fraud.

He carefully painted himself and all his allies good and every other person was painted as a devil.

I believe he is just another desperate Northerner looking for power at all cost....

"There's huge integrity deficiency in el-Rufai's book"
–Ribadu

Even if i don't believe Soludo, Atiku or Obasanjo at least Ribadu is still in their camp.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by gilmaro(m): 2:08pm On May 06, 2013
jaybee:

[size=14pt]THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU CHARLES. EL RUFAI MUST NOT GO SCOT FREE WITH THIS 'FRAUD'.[/size]
God come and deliver nigeria from these impersonating vampires. Never knew El Rufa was this dubious, God save our present and future generation from these wolfs.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by jjmk(m): 2:09pm On May 06, 2013
I have never bothered with the the El-Rufai book because I know he is on one big ego trip.
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by dammytosh: 2:15pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

I can see SOUR GRAPES all over the place. El-Rufa'i who claims no professorship has written a 600 page book and this "Professor" spent the whole of last 3 months working to come out with one page of sour Soludo grapes and list of countries he visited. A man who connived with others to ruin the banking sector in Nigeria.I wonder if his friend Cecilia Ibru is still in prison and I wonder why he is not. All these profeessors of nose picking should better shut up if they cannot produce their own story. Any waanker can sit down and churn out this rubbish.

I bet you could not read that piece because it is too long because. Only a chimp will read that piece and still have the courage to type the rubbish you typed when you are not Eko-Ile

Soludo stated facts , with date and what have you ?

He stated contradictory statement in the useless book (Sad i bought it with my hard earned cash) and reasons you should doubt the integrity of the book.

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by dammytosh: 2:17pm On May 06, 2013
gilmaro:
God come and deliver nigeria from these impersonating vampires. Never knew El Rufa was this dubious, God save our present and future generation from these wolfs.

He is more than dubious. he lost out of the power game, joined the opposition and was louder than you can imagine. Unfortunately, Nigerians have very short memory.

Because of the Media power of ACN, Every gullible Nigerian believe the criteria for being a Saint and Saviour in Nigeria is to leave PDP and join any other 3 letter word party.

They are all rogues and criminals. Only God will save us from their claws.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by magnificentsk(m): 2:20pm On May 06, 2013
Ebestsms.com:
THE HEAT IS ON.

Lets just sit and watch politicians expose themselves . I love this, waiting for El-Rufai's reply.

really the heat is on,where is soludo since? he could had replied earlier, i just bought the book yesterday oo," the enemy of my enemy is my friend unless that enemy is soludo" grin grin
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Zet72(m): 2:21pm On May 06, 2013
grin. This soludo of a guy took elrufai to the cleaner

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by tomber(m): 2:30pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

Soludo - a frustrated Nyamiri who messed up the banking sector should write his own book.

Did u just returned from somalia?

5 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by madridsta007(m): 2:48pm On May 06, 2013
ATIKU ABUBAKAR's response to El Rufai's fraud... Sorry, book.

I wonder what nagoma and other El Rufai's NL puppets will say about Atiku. Is he a 'nyammri' too?

ATIKU ABUBAKAR:

It amazes me that el-Rufai can pass off fiction for self-gratification [/b]at the expense of truth as a book.

El-Rufai’s attack on my person is to say the least not surprising considering that this is the same man who has notoriety for disparaging religions and their icons, including lately Jesus Christ.

If he could go to such irreverent extent to disparage religious icons, who is an ordinary mortal like me?

It is my belief that any man that can cross the boundary of reason and decency [b]deserves prayers rather than anger

I wish to state that the book is as a collection of fiction, half-truths, exaggeration and reflection of selective memory.

I am particularly piqued by the claim of el-Rufai that he had almost resigned as the former Director General of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) because of alleged persistent pressure and interference by me as Chairman of the National Council on Privatization.

It is curious that the former FCT Minister forgot so soon what he said at the Senate Public Hearing on BPE August 8-13, 2011. That committee, which did an amazing work, was headed by Senator Ahmed Lawan.

We need to recall el-Rufai as saying he had special relationship with former President Obasanjo, which gave him direct access and the discretion to bypass the Council on Privatization then headed by me in order to get the approval of the President.

I wonder how el-Rufai could reconcile his threat of resignation with the accounts he told the Senate about the latitude of freedom he enjoyed at BPE because of his closeness to former President Obasanjo.

In that testimony, el-Rufai told the Senate that, and I quote: “Thank you very much Distinguished Senator. Mr. Chairman, as a matter of principle Mr. Chairman, I am reluctant to judge my successors. So, whenever I do a job, I move on; I don’t comment on what my successors have done. All I can say is this. Mr. Chairman, if you go through my tenure in BPE, you will see that we try to do everything by the rules, by the book. And we resisted every attempt at political interference. There is a process; step by step. Privatization is a mechanical process. Once you have the process published, every step should not be missed. And there was never a time that we deviated from that process.

“We took everything we did to the privatization council. That’s how we ran the place. And I swear to God, I am under oath. Except for one time that the vice president called me and said; look I’ve got calls from A and B to help this guy win this, I said Mr. Vice president you know the rules, tell him to bid the highest price because the highest price wins and he said yes I know, I am just telling you in case they contact you. And I don’t want them to say I didn’t pass on their requests. That was the only time. But no one tried to interfere with my work. There were attempts to block it. President Obasanjo blocked the privatization of Nigeria airways practically. Okay because Kema Chikwe will go and tell him stories. And what is the result today. The company is dead.”

The claim by el-Rufai that former President Obasanjo went on bended knees before me to seek his cooperation for second term bid in 2003, is a figment of his own wild imagination.

Such claim lacks any credibility because Obasanjo and I were alone together behind closed doors.

I wonder whether el-Rufai was a fly on the wall to discuss the details of a private meeting between the two of us.

I believe that rather than el-Rufai feeding the public with such fabrications, the former Minister should have provided or quoted the authority for such claim since he was not at the private meeting between former President Obasanjo and me.

5 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by madridsta007(m): 2:49pm On May 06, 2013
<<<<
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by sammhi(m): 2:53pm On May 06, 2013
Sir soludo,
i dont agree with you . i have read the book and i cant sse your points.Definitely h.e has some impression of you written in the book, but i dont see him praisng himself alone . After reding the book, i saw that OBJ did well in his tenure contrary to popular opinion.
am an ordinary nigerian so i dont know both you and El rufai persoanlly.. but what i also deduced from his book was that OBJ has good reasons for a third term but did not market it well.
if there was one person , the book praised, it was OBJ. infact the book changed all my impression of the former president.
it also praised the ec onomic team and the EFCC . The book showed in details that nigerians are not ready for good governance but it also higlights the fact that a few good nigerians were in the OBJ government and was responsible for the twig of improved econnomy seen in OBJ years.
no doubt some of his points may not be acurate but are not a fraud

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by OdionOdion: 2:57pm On May 06, 2013
juventino: Front page! I beg, Biko, e jo
. I have repeatedly advised fellow Nigerian youths of
the emerging online/social media heros(facebook and twitter) such as El Rufai,Obahiagbon,Fani Kayode,Dino Meleye.These are characters whose antecedence in Govt deserve no hero record,but the fact the present administration is allowing everyone to freely air his views,these born again social critics are using the online/social madia to rehabilitate themselves back to the people they once oppressed with bullduzers in FCT,this is the fraud Soludo is commenting about ElRUFAI
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 06, 2013
Our twitter mallam can you pls respond to this facts
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:10pm On May 06, 2013
Ozonna: Meanwhile, Soludo's CV is tight

See his full CV here;

https://www.nairaland.com/1281397/man-soludo-intimidating-cv
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by dammytosh: 3:15pm On May 06, 2013
OdionOdion: . I have repeatedly advised fellow Nigerian youths of
the emerging online/social media heros(facebook and twitter) such as El Rufai,Obahiagbon,Fani Kayode,Dino Meleye.These are characters whose antecedence in Govt deserve no hero record,but the fact the present administration is allowing everyone to freely air his views,these born again social critics are using the online/social madia to rehabilitate themselves back to the people they once oppressed with bullduzers in FCT,this is the fraud Soludo is commenting about ElRUFAI

God bless you Bro,

You can imagine Dino Melaye, Fani Kayode, El Rufai as activistsssss....

Nigerians truly deserve the kind of leaders they get. Nonsense..
Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by gramci: 3:26pm On May 06, 2013
nagoma:

I can see SOUR GRAPES all over the place. El-Rufa'i who claims no professorship has written a 600 page book and this "Professor" spent the whole of last 3 months working to come out with one page of sour Soludo grapes and list of countries he visited. A man who connived with others to ruin the banking sector in Nigeria.I wonder if his friend Cecilia Ibru is still in prison and I wonder why he is not. All these profeessors of nose picking should better shut up if they cannot produce their own story. Any waanker can sit down and churn out this rubbish.

cheesy

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by madridsta007(m): 3:34pm On May 06, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

See his full CV here;

https://www.nairaland.com/1281397/man-soludo-intimidating-cv

Oh boy! Intimidation. We would get there in Jesus Name. Amen!

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo by LeStylo: 3:35pm On May 06, 2013
Isn't it ironic that none of the people criticising El-rufai has sued him for libel or defamation. I'm particcularly shocked at Atiku and Soludo who could only resort to "undocumented" social media reactions. Am i missing something here? There's more than catches the eye. I can bet that!

As for Soludo, his exit exposed a brilliant Ponzi scheme which nearly killed the whole banking sector and which is not remotely connected with the Stock exchange collapse! Who would forget the polymer note scandals? Or the brash efforts to introduce coins that does not have the smallest purchasing value. The country lost billions to these avoidably, dear professor. Like someone opined, why did it take Prof over 3 months to reply to this book?

#thinking aloud.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Of Ezu River Bodies Were Shot – Senate / Nigeria Is So Indebted That Lenders Hesitate To Give Us Loans- Senator Ben Bruce / Kwankwaso’s Camp Reacts To His Probe By Ganduje Over Alleged Corruptio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.