Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 (25844 Views)

Ex-president Goodluck Jonathan Addresses Press Corp In Geneva (LIVE PHOTOS) / Full Speech: Buhari Addresses The 70th UN Assembly (Photos) / Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 14, 2013
I hope this ends the violence in the Northern part of our country. This should have happened long time ago. It is better late than never. I support the President on this one.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri: State of Emergency in the North is a codeword for restricting democracy and autonomy of the Muslim North and subjugate Muslims under this Xtian Crusader government. We know this is what the South wants. Maybe they're bankrolling BH and other "Islamic" groups all along to get what they want.

SHATAP THERE. Collect this BLOWS
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Smartluv(m): 7:39pm On May 14, 2013
Good Job from mr President, thumb up to u GEJ. U hv my vote anytime anyday
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 14, 2013
make we leave tori wey no go do us any better. How much garri dey cost for ur area? Omo, na 4 cups i go buy for N200 o. Na like this we go de dey? 4 cups for N200?
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Remii(m): 7:39pm On May 14, 2013
nijanigga: I thought the state of emergency he declared in some of the north-eastern states are still in effect. Useless and senseless speech.

The last were in few LGAs, he has moved to whole states with politicians in place, maybe later he would move to send the governors and legislators home. I think he is playing to APC 's gallery

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Smartluv(m): 7:40pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri: State of Emergency in the North is a codeword for restricting democracy and autonomy of the Muslim North and subjugate Muslims under this Xtian Crusader government. We know this is what the South wants. Maybe they're bankrolling BH and other "Islamic" groups all along to get what they want.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by alnaijiri(m): 7:40pm On May 14, 2013
moodswing:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I should be ashamed of myself for standing up for what's right? Why?
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by sasview: 7:40pm On May 14, 2013
State of emergency needed to be declared on Nigeria!
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by chino4(m): 7:41pm On May 14, 2013
Didn't listen to d broadcast can we get the full text.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by joelreg(m): 7:42pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ is now talking but why cant he declare SoE on Power sector

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by ZACHIE: 7:42pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

I should be ashamed of myself for standing up for what's right? Why?

yi shuru
mara kunya
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by alnaijiri(m): 7:42pm On May 14, 2013
Chibuebem: my brother, the future is bright. The present is getting brighter. Dont worry, u'll see whether u like it or not...unless u go blind...i dont wish that for u shaa. God is helping us in our country. Pray for ur leaders, ACT like a good citizen wherever u are. Pray for 2015. And buckle up for the ride to peace, development, prosperity, and light that will rock and shock the world

Nations are not established nor are prosperity and harmony achieved by prayer and blind obedience alone, but by faithful actions in the way of God. I share no such optimism in the leadership of corrupted and depraved men.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by dbride: 7:42pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

May God avenge the blood of innocent Muslims killed by the Crusader Nigerian government.

Whao, alnaijiri, God is God and does not think like men. He loves all whether innocent muslims, christians, pagans, etc. Your prayers will be answered faster if you think like God.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by alnaijiri(m): 7:44pm On May 14, 2013
dbride:

Whao, alnaijiri, God is God and does not think like men. He loves all whether innocent muslims, christians, pagans, etc. Your prayers will be answered faster if you think like God.

Who does God love more? An animal or a human being? Likewise, God favours his own people, the Muslims, more than the rebellious pagans.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 14, 2013
Ogbeche77: Governors to continue working, what's the point in having a state of emergency? Kano, Nassaraw and Benue not listed but Adamawa that has enjoyed peace for quite awhile is listed, I give up on GEJ

Lets reason it well, He has to maintain democracy in the nation, if he gives a little chance for the military they might overrun this country and take us back to the stone age.. Jonathan has brains and he thinks well with it.. If those Military men are made governors they will become power drunk.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by mazaje(m): 7:46pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

Who does God love more? An animal or a human being? Likewise, God favours his own people, the Muslims, more than the rebellious pagans.

Yet the rebelious pagans keep dominating the muslims the world over despite being allah's favourites, eh?. . .You are a fool. . .
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 14, 2013
Splendid, @ least we now hv a president and no more some spineless wimp[color=#006600][/color]
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by bobbyL(m): 7:47pm On May 14, 2013
nijanigga: Hope jona will relay the information below;
More worries for Nija's oil. America will be the largest exporter of oil by 2015."North America has set off a supply shock that is sending ripples throughout the world,". I think the 2015 break-up of Nigeria is real.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-oil-boom-leaves-opec-111316495.html

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by shadys(f): 7:48pm On May 14, 2013
Full speech.

MAY 14, 2013

Dear compatriots,
1.    It has become necessary for me to address you on the recent spate of terrorist activities and protracted security challenges in some parts of the country, particularly in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kano, Plateau and most recently Bayelsa, Taraba, Benue and Nasarawa states.  These unfortunate events have led to needless loss of lives and property of many innocent Nigerians including members of our security forces.

2.   The recent killing of security operatives by a cult group in Nasarawa state is particularly condemnable. I have directed that no effort or expense be spared in identifying and bringing to justice all those who had a hand in the killing of the operatives.

3.   The activities of insurgents and terrorists have been reprehensible, causing fear among our citizens and a near-breakdown of law and order in parts of the country, especially the North. We have taken robust steps to unravel and address the root causes of these crises, but it would appear that there is a systematic effort by insurgents and terrorists to destabilize the Nigerian state and test our collective resolve.

4.  Since I returned to the country after cutting short my visit to South Africa and aborting a planned state visit to Namibia, I have received detailed briefings from our security agencies. These briefings indicate that what we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity. Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance is to different flags and ideologies.

5.   These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6.  They have attacked government buildings and facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze, and taken women and children as hostages. These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt to undermine the authority of the Nigerian state and threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this.

7.  Previously, we adopted a multi-track approach to the resolution of this problem through actions which included persuasion, dialogue and widespread consultation with the political, religious and community leaders in the affected states.

8.  We exercised restraint to allow for all efforts by both State Governors and well-meaning Nigerians to stop the repeated cases of mindless violence.

9.  Yet, the insurgents and terrorists seek to prevent government from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to the people as they pursue their fanatical agenda of mayhem, mass murder, division and separatism.

10. While the efforts at persuasion and dialogue will continue, let me reiterate that we have a sacred duty to ensure the security and well-being of all our people and protect the sovereign integrity of our country. Therefore, we shall, on no account, shy away from doing whatever becomes necessary to provide the fullest possible security for the citizens of this country in any part of the country they choose to reside.

11.   We have a duty to stand firm against those who threaten the sovereign integrity of the Nigerian state. Our will is strong, because our faith lies in the indivisibility of Nigeria.

12.  Following recent developments in the affected states, it has become necessary for Government to take extraordinary measures to restore normalcy. After wide consultations, and in exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of Section 305, sub-section 1 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, I hereby declare a State of Emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

13.  Accordingly, the Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations. The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.

14.  This will include the authority to arrest and detain suspects, the taking of possession and control of any building or structure used for terrorist purposes, the lock-down of any area of terrorist operation, the conduct of searches, and the apprehension of persons in illegal possession of weapons.

15.  The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

16.   I urge the political leadership in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to co-operate maximally with the Armed Forces and the Police to ensure that the exercise succeeds. We call on the citizenry to co-operate with our security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy within the shortest possible time.

17.   I am again approaching our neighbouring countries, through diplomatic channels, as done in the recent past, for their co-operation in apprehending any terrorist elements that may escape across the border.

18.  Nigerians are peace-loving people; these sad events perpetrated by those who do not wish our nation well have not changed the essential character of our people.

19.  I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

20.  I am convinced that with your support and prayers, we shall overcome these challenges and together, we will restore every part of our country to the path of peace, growth and development.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-jonathan-declares-state-emergency-borno-yobe-and-adamawa-state

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by igbonla(m): 7:48pm On May 14, 2013
No matter how much we disagree with the president, he does need the prayers of everyone of us. It is easier to pull down than to build.
His people in the South South need to go easy on their utterances at this time and not make more enemies for him. Fighting the Boko Haram wahala is enough troubles.

And for those clamouring for break up of the country, I wish you well but pray you don't experience what you are wishing yourselves.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by alnaijiri(m): 7:49pm On May 14, 2013
mazaje:

Yet the rebelious pagans keep dominating the muslims the world over despite being allah's favourites, eh?. . .You are a fool. . .

Ye of little faith... God will redeem His people!
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 14, 2013
gboss4sure:

Lets reason it well, He has to maintain democracy in the nation, if he gives a little chance for the military they might overrun this country and take us back to the stone age.. Jonathan has brains and he thinks well with it.. If those Military men are made governors they will become power drunk.

I quite agree in as much as I wanted it the other way round.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by chino4(m): 7:51pm On May 14, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan

By Muhammad Bello

President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday declared an indefinite quasi-state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States and immediately deployed troops to the states to with orders to maintain law and order  by all means at their disposal.

Jonathan disclosed this  in a nationwide live broadcast in which he directed the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS),  Admiral Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim to immediately deploy troops to these states with powers to arrest and detain suspected terrorists, take-over of suspicious buildings and detain persons suspected to be in possession of arms.

Invoking the powers conferred on him  by Section 305(1) of 1999 Constitution, the president insisted that it had become necessary to take these extra-ordinary measures, which will run side by side with on-going efforts at dialogue and persuasion.

He said the details of the proclamations will be sent to the National Assembly for consideration.

President Jonathan who stated that this measure has become necessary because terrorists and insurgents have constituted themselves as threats to the sovereignty of the country and thereby declared war against them insisting that as a responsible government he could not tolerate these actions.
Source Thisday online.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nosyke(m): 7:52pm On May 14, 2013
House, I am confused. When Obj did something similar in Ekiti and Plateau, their governors stepped down, the military took over. This is unlike what just happened. I read up the quoted section 305. Does it mean Obj, acted un constitutionally?
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 14, 2013
mazaje:

lol. Mazaje is back. Take am easy man. I knew u would comment on this one. Lol. How do u think u can convert him to ur 'atheist' ways by insulting. Insulting never does any good. Btw alnaijiri, i dont do blind obedience, i said u should stand for what is good and right.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by OgbuefiNegro: 7:54pm On May 14, 2013
AFTER MEETING WITH SECURITY CHIEFS AND SOME STAKE HOLDERS, JONATHAN WILL BE ANNOUNCING HIS RESIGNATION TONIGHT
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 7:55pm On May 14, 2013
at last MR PRESIDENT has been pushed to the wall.now lets see how the northern leaders w ill react to this . when they gave support to this group in the beginning they never knew the group will get out of hand and control now they just have to contain it themselves ,
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by DerideGull(m): 8:01pm On May 14, 2013
@OP

Nigerians are always homely with their foolery. The appropriate phrase should be “President Jonathan to address the country tonight”. Nigeria is not a nation and it will be nice if Nigerians should quit idiotic imitation.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 14, 2013
val_dee:

I quite agree in as much as I wanted it the other way round.

I too wanted it to be full emergency where a military man takes over but we cant afford it. The military power our military has makes them go around beating citizen anyhow not to talk of when the now has a Governorship power they will start looking to overthrow democracy.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Smooyis(m): 8:07pm On May 14, 2013
Ope ooooo. State of Emergency at last! Hope this can bring some relief to the good people of these states.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by bakila: 8:07pm On May 14, 2013
iwanchop: Why declare s state of emergency in Adamawa?
I smell something there,the president doesn't want it to look political
Borno and Yobe are controlled by opposition parties hence he was looking for a scapegoat (PDP controlled state) to partially balance it politically.He found the scapegoat in Adamawa.
They have been fighting with the Governor of Adamawa State. The people in Jimeta are shocked to hear this declaration of State of Emergency that seems uncnstiitutional. The funniest part is that Law enforcement Agencies have licence for excesses in Jimeta or Adamawa. Funny part of this state of Emergency is Umaru Fintiri and Nyako are on seat.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by rman: 8:09pm On May 14, 2013
Better late than never.

I give kudos to GEJ for this declaration.

Kano and Bauchi should be monitored carefully too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

DSS Invading Homes Of Judges In Abuja / Peter Obi: Why I Picked Datti Baba-Ahmed As My Running Mate / Fani Kayode Reacts Over Dino Melaye, Adeyanju deji Arrested, Blasts Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.