Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 (25843 Views)

Ex-president Goodluck Jonathan Addresses Press Corp In Geneva (LIVE PHOTOS) / Full Speech: Buhari Addresses The 70th UN Assembly (Photos) / Empty Seats, As GEJ Addresses The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by dbride: 8:10pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

The Nigerian army is a blood-thirsty lot of the lowest scums of society. They will commit atrocities in Xtian areas talkless of the Muslim North. This is a tragedy.

It's not the Federal Republic of Nigeria, but the Republic of Southern Nigeria and her colony, the Muslim Northern Nigeria. Abuja is a colonial regime.

Man, what has entered into you? Check it, it is definitely some weird evil sprit seriously affecting your ability to think right. All you see in this topic is muslim, north, south, xtian. Do you like the blood letting in those areas? I am confused. What do you really want? You would rather have boko haram continue the killings until a northern muslim becomes the president? This is satanic, cutting your nose to spite your face, so so abnormal!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Gudiza(m): 8:11pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri: State of Emergency in the North is a codeword for restricting democracy and autonomy of the Muslim North and subjugate Muslims under this Xtian Crusader government. We know this is what the South wants. Maybe they're bankrolling BH and other "Islamic" groups all along to get what they want.

You're a true almajiri.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by OilCabal: 8:11pm On May 14, 2013
1. It has become necessary for me to address you on the recent spate of terrorist activities and protracted security challenges in some parts of the country, particularly in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kano, Plateau and most recently Bayelsa, Taraba, Benue and Nasarawa states. These unfortunate events have led to needless loss of lives and property of many innocent Nigerians including members of our security forces.

2. The recent killing of security operatives by a cult group in Nasarawa state is particularly condemnable. I have directed that no effort or expense be spared in identifying and bringing to justice all those who had a hand in the killing of the operatives.

3. The activities of insurgents and terrorists have been reprehensible, causing fear among our citizens and a near-breakdown of law and order in parts of the country, especially the North. We have taken robust steps to unravel and address the root causes of these crises, but it would appear that there is a systematic effort by insurgents and terrorists to destabilize the Nigerian state and test our collective resolve.

4. Since I returned to the country after cutting short my visit to South Africa and aborting a planned state visit to Namibia, I have received detailed briefings from our security agencies. These briefings indicate that what we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity. Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance is to different flags and ideologies.

5. These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6. They have attacked government buildings and facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze, and taken women and children as hostages. These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt to undermine the authority of the Nigerian state and threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this.

7. Previously, we adopted a multi-track approach to the resolution of this problem through actions which included persuasion, dialogue and widespread consultation with the political, religious and community leaders in the affected states.

8. We exercised restraint to allow for all efforts by both State Governors and well-meaning Nigerians to stop the repeated cases of mindless violence.

9. Yet, the insurgents and terrorists seek to prevent government from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to the people as they pursue their fanatical agenda of mayhem, mass murder, division and separatism.

10. While the efforts at persuasion and dialogue will continue, let me reiterate that we have a sacred duty to ensure the security and well-being of all our people and protect the sovereign integrity of our country. Therefore, we shall, on no account, shy away from doing whatever becomes necessary to provide the fullest possible security for the citizens of this country in any part of the country they choose to reside.

11. We have a duty to stand firm against those who threaten the sovereign integrity of the Nigerian state. Our will is strong, because our faith lies in the indivisibility of Nigeria.

12. Following recent developments in the affected states, it has become necessary for Government to take extraordinary measures to restore normalcy. After wide consultations, and in exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of Section 305, sub-section 1 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, I hereby declare a State of Emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

13. Accordingly, the Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations. The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.

14. This will include the authority to arrest and detain suspects, the taking of possession and control of any building or structure used for terrorist purposes, the lock-down of any area of terrorist operation, the conduct of searches, and the apprehension of persons in illegal possession of weapons.

15. The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

16. I urge the political leadership in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to co-operate maximally with the Armed Forces and the Police to ensure that the exercise succeeds. We call on the citizenry to co-operate with our security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy within the shortest possible time.

17. I am again approaching our neighbouring countries, through diplomatic channels, as done in the recent past, for their co-operation in apprehending any terrorist elements that may escape across the border.

18. Nigerians are peace-loving people; these sad events perpetrated by those who do not wish our nation well have not changed the essential character of our people.

19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

20. I am convinced that with your support and prayers, we shall overcome these challenges and together, we will restore every part of our country to the path of peace, growth and development.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 8:12pm On May 14, 2013
heheheheh well done my PRESIDO. 2015 here we come grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by 2rutalk1: 8:15pm On May 14, 2013
I like No.6 It has weight Mr. president. I have been expecting this from you long ago. CARRY ON Mr. President.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 8:19pm On May 14, 2013
i wont be surprised to see apc and acn members crying foul in the next few hours grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Xfactoria: 8:20pm On May 14, 2013
gboss4sure:

I too wanted it to be full emergency where a military man takes over but we cant afford it. The military power our military has makes them go around beating citizen anyhow not to talk of when the now has a Governorship power they will start looking to overthrow democracy.

"15. The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities."

Check out the part of the speech highlighted in bold. He said "..in the meantime..." which means the Governors might still be booted out.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 14, 2013
This has been long overdue,kudos to gej,its high time he tackles dis bh problem,enough of d killings of innocent souls...even though,it is not goin to be easy,it is going to be a gradual process
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by solopumpy227: 8:22pm On May 14, 2013
I once declared, at the beginning of a Semester, I was going to get a GP of 5.0/5.0. Please dont ask me what I got at the end of the day wink

The FG Govt has taken, hopefully, a well-thought-through decision but there are many questions begging answers. This decision can only achieve meaningful results if it is a genuine effort at bringing peace to the affected States and not used as a political tool with 2015 in view.

Can a SoE function effectivelly with elected leaders still on their seat and running their own things?
Were the affected States' Leaders briefed they would be sharing their command with the Military Appointees now.
What will be the governing structures in the affected States be with this new arrangement?
On a scale of crisis barometer how did Adamawa make the list and kano did not? Could this be a get-back-at the "sturborn" Governor?
Why are some people celebrating as if this is a license for the Army to "wipe out their enemies"?
Why are people not thinking of bringing these criminals to commensurate justice?

Today is first day of the rest of this FG live and this Govt will be remembered for so many things by different people that make of this Union.
The end they say always justifies the means and the unfolding events in the next months will show how successful this SoE has been in returning peace to our fatherland.

For now I watch closelly and see how things turn out.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by dbride: 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

Who does God love more? An animal or a human being? Likewise, God favours his own people, the Muslims, more than the rebellious pagans.

You sure cannot be wiser than God. Among these rebellious pagans God gave the wisdom to invent so many things that you who are God's favourites benefit from. Note, the foolishness of God is still better than your wisdom. Religious arrogance is very deadly and deceitful. It makes a man who is already in darkness think he is riding the crest of waves, living in a world of delusion. Your one-track mind tells you that anyone who is not a muslim is a rebellious pagan that has fallen out of God's favour. God is bigger than your religious thought and you cannot cage or box God to fit your errorneous religious lessons. Free yourself,alnaijiri; you are already thinking less than an animal.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by omanzo02: 8:29pm On May 14, 2013
dbride:

Man, what has entered into you? Check it, it is definitely some weird evil sprit seriously affecting your ability to think right. All you see in this topic is muslim, north, south, xtian. Do you like the blood letting in those areas? I am confused. What do you really want? You would rather have boko haram continue the killings until a northern muslim becomes the president? This is satanic, cutting your nose to spite your face, so so abnormal!

Maybe he is Lai Mohammed, El Rufai, Tinubu, Aregbesola Buhari or a member of ACF with covert Monniker trying to recruit members for BH on NL. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by vanstanzy(m): 8:42pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

The Nigerian army is a blood-thirsty lot of the lowest scums of society. They will commit atrocities in Xtian areas talkless of the Muslim North. This is a tragedy.

It's not the Federal Republic of Nigeria, but the Republic of Southern Nigeria and her colony, the Muslim Northern Nigeria. Abuja is a colonial regime.

WRONG!!! Its the Boko Haram, which u people in the North harbour, that are the

"BLOOD THIRSTY LOTS!" So u are indeed ok with the BH boiz wiping out human souls like

flies, SMH! angry angry Now which is the tragedy, ur Blood thirsty BH bros or the Nigerian army?

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 8:45pm On May 14, 2013
we wont allow terrorist to take over this nation. they must be crushed without mercy and if this state of emergency will do the job then so be it
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by ademega(m): 8:51pm On May 14, 2013
this is a good development ,but let us ask ourselves ,does this action make any difference? in as much the political office holders are still intact .to me it does nt make any difference. troops ve bin thir and more troops have bin going their on daily bases, so, what is d rational behind declareing state of emergenc? just another political bobo!
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by magnetik(m): 8:51pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri: State of Emergency in the North is a codeword for restricting democracy and autonomy of the Muslim North and subjugate Muslims under this Xtian Crusader government. We know this is what the South wants. Maybe they're bankrolling BH and other "Islamic" groups all along to get what they want.
True son of his fathers Almajiri indeed
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 8:57pm On May 14, 2013
ademega: this is a good development ,but let us ask ourselves ,does this action make any difference? in as much the political office holders are still intact .to me it does nt make any difference. troops ve bin thir and more troops have bin going their on daily bases, so, what is d rational behind declareing state of emergenc? just another political bobo!
my guy , all those state govs will sit tight now .and they will top making inciting speeches .
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by magnetik(m): 9:02pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri:

No you are wrong Nigerian army are not that blood thirsty not until they smoke your *ss...
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by onatisi(m): 9:03pm On May 14, 2013
magnetik:
No you are wrong Nigerian army are not that blood thirty not until they smoke your *ss...
just ignore that guy
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 14, 2013
The President did the sensible thing to leave the democratically elected structure of Government in the states intact

not sure if the President has the power to single-handedly remove Governors

forget all those nonesense OBJ used to do!
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by johnteddy(m): 9:14pm On May 14, 2013
i hope there will be peace
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by mbulela: 9:59pm On May 14, 2013
Ramcie: Must JONA always read every speech word for word
Because he does not believe one word of what he is saying.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 14, 2013
SECTION 305, SUB-SECTION 1 OF D 1999 CONSTITUTION AS AMENDED! Pls, who has d constitution should help us n tell us if sacking of governors is stated there?
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by ekoileee: 10:14pm On May 14, 2013
This clueless dullard don shift the violence to his door steps in Abuja.

Abuja folks don suffer in advance...
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Mogidi: 10:20pm On May 14, 2013
After listening to the broadcast all I can say is
CARRY GO 2015.

eko ileee: This clueless dullard don shift the violence to his door steps in Abuja.

Still looking for a transformer to hug?
ROFLMAO!!!!
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by IYANGBALI: 10:24pm On May 14, 2013
dbride:

You sure cannot be wiser than God. Among these rebellious pagans God gave the wisdom to invent so many things that you who are God's favourites benefit from. Note, the foolishness of God is still better than your wisdom. Religious arrogance is very deadly and deceitful. It makes a man who is already in darkness think he is riding the crest of waves, living in a world of delusion. Your one-track mind tells you that anyone who is not a muslim is a rebellious pagan that has fallen out of God's favour. God is bigger than your religious thought and you cannot cage or box God to fit your errorneous religious lessons. Free yourself,alnaijiri; you are already thinking less than an animal.
he is an animal
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by IYANGBALI: 10:32pm On May 14, 2013
mazaje:

Yet the rebelious pagans keep dominating the muslims the world over despite being allah's favourites, eh?. . .You are a fool. . .
big fool
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 14, 2013
"Heroism is not only in the man, but in the occasion."
:|-Calvin Coolidge

Don't know about tomorrow but if tonight were to be election day am sure a lot of nigerians would have voted for GEJ 'cos a state of emergency in those northern states is long overdue and nigerians are tired of killings on daily basis by insurgents.

I hope other states will be under close monitoring and any politician that is against this action should be branded as "public enemy" and treated as such.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 14, 2013
delors: He just want tell us:
My fellow Nigerians, this is Goodluck, Ebele Jonathan, GCON, GFCON, GBDN, HIV, DFRCN, Prsident of Nigeria.
My fellow Nigerian people, I have heard your cries. My wife told me last night. But don't worry...we are on top of the situations in the country. We have set up different thousands of committees. Even me myself I am heading one of the committees so you can be rest assured that this is a fresh air. So, everything is okay. Just go about your daily business. Don't mind Boko haram and others. They are not serious. Let them continue to bomb us, we will survive. Pray. If you have been praying then pray harder...so that those who had no shoes before will continue to have shoes like me.'
Long life Nigerians! Long life Nigeria! Short life Boko haram!

Lmao
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 12:16am On May 15, 2013
Where is my machine gun? Its time to go and exterminate those islamic rats
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by sirekene: 12:24am On May 15, 2013
nice move articulated move joor..... there head shud cool down a little bit tongue tongue tongue
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 12:25am On May 15, 2013
Please, i also want to use this opportunity to appeal to all Biafrans still residing in these 3 states to leave the north and return home immediately. Before warned is before harmed.
Re: President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 by Nobody: 12:30am On May 15, 2013
eko ileee: This clueless dullard don shift the violence to his door steps in Abuja.

I hope you remember that Boko haram cells have been busted in Lagos,headed by Yorubas
You should speak with some intelligence
The devil is at your backyard too

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Faure Gnassingbe Visits President Buhari In Katsina State (photos) / Galadima: How Buhari Rejected Tinubu / DSS Invading Homes Of Judges In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.