Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,814 members, 7,844,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68139 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechiā€™s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 26, 2013
van bonattel:

Who is the father of African literature?
There is no such thing like that, but you've been saying CA was.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 2:46pm On May 26, 2013
Ola Johnson:
There no such thing like that but you've saying CA was.

Once again I ask, "who is the father of African literature"?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 3:05pm On May 26, 2013
Mr Johnson, I am not surprised about your postulations because Achebe himself pointed out this flaw with the average Nigerian person. He talked about Meritocracy and mediocrity. The problem we got in this country started soon after the 1966 coup ended, the plotters of the coup were completely stupid I agree, they should have killed Zik and Okpara. But lets talk about that another day.

The problem started when the Igbo administrators and managers to so many companies and govt parastatals were chased away from Lagos and Kaduna, Kano. Unqualified men were hurriedly appointed to replace them and everybody wanted to fill the vacancies with people of their tribes. Nobody wanted to make sure merit was employed, just give me my tribesman and that was how we got into this mess. Hausas promoted their people in the army while yoruba promoted their people in the civil service and companies.

The Igbos were blocked out as mediocrity reigned supreme, hausa/fulani/yoruba mismanaged everything between 1970 till 1998. The Igbos went into business and are still there, more left the country (like myself) when it became clear that the Hausa/yoruba government are leading us into the thick forest.

My point is that Achebe merits to be called father of African literature, but you are fighting hard to bring up a mediocre to that position just because of your tribal sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 26, 2013
Van Bonatell, the Igbo were killed in the North, and so left for the Eastern Region. Those of them like CA, K. O. Dike, etc that fled from Lagos did so on personal reasons. Ukpabi Asika, an Igbo felt safe in the University of Ibadan where he was a senior lecturer before he was later made the Administrator of the East Central State during the war.

Do your research.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 26, 2013
van bonattel:

Once again I ask, "who is the father of African literature"?
I've been the person asking this question. If you must know, there is nothing like father of African literature.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 26, 2013
van bonattel: Mr Johnson, I am not surprised about your postulations because Achebe himself pointed out this flaw with the average Nigerian person. He talked about Meritocracy and mediocrity. The problem we got in this country started soon after the 1966 coup ended, the plotters of the coup were completely stupid I agree, they should have killed Zik and Okpara. But lets talk about that another day.

The problem started when the Igbo administrators and managers to so many companies and govt parastatals were chased away from Lagos and Kaduna, Kano. Unqualified men were hurriedly appointed to replace them and everybody wanted to fill the vacancies with people of their tribes. Nobody wanted to make sure merit was employed, just give me my tribesman and that was how we got into this mess. Hausas promoted their people in the army while yoruba promoted their people in the civil service and companies.

The Igbos were blocked out as mediocrity reigned supreme, hausa/fulani/yoruba mismanaged everything between 1970 till 1998. The Igbos went into business and are still there, more left the country (like myself) when it became clear that the Hausa/yoruba government are leading us into the thick forest.

My point is that Achebe merits to be called father of African literature, but you are fighting hard to bring up a mediocre to that position just because of your tribal sentiments.

This is one of the problems most people have with you guys. The idea that only Igbo are competent enough to run everything is patently false. If this were true, it should reflect on the current state of development in Igbo dominated states.
There's nothing to support the notion that Igbo heads of state would have done any better than their Hausa or Yoruba counterparts.
Aguiyi Ironsi made Nigeria a unitary state. He is the father of the current situation where everybody looks to the Federal government for what they can do for themselves. Is that competence of mediocrity?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 26, 2013
Aigbofa:

This is one of the problems most people have with you guys. The idea that only Igbo are competent enough to run everything is patently false. If this were true, it should reflect on the current state of development in Igbo dominated states.
There's nothing to support the notion that Igbo heads of state would have done any better than their Hausa or Yoruba counterparts.
Aguiyi Ironsi made Nigeria a unitary state. He is the father of the current situation where everybody looks to the Federal government for what they can do for themselves. Is that competence of mediocrity?
They are full of tribalism and favouritism. The former head of Immigration, Chukwura, was dismissed for not abiding by the federal character policy by employing majorly Igbo in the organization.
A man from the North who recently accused Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala of favouritism. She dismissed him from service.
The Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah was also accused. The case is under investigation. The same thing with that of the Chief Of Army Staff, Lt.Gen Ihenjirika.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by henchyk(m): 8:31pm On May 26, 2013
I weep for you people.

Are you all so blinded by tribalism that you cannot see Achebe for the great literary giant that he is? To be specific, the Father of Modern African Literature? I am in shock.

I will not bother replying the prehistoric slowpoke (sorry for this insult but that nigga is a 1st class fool) that calls himself CameroonPride. His petty and childish arguments were at best inconsistent and i'll leave it at that. He's not worth arguing with and i'm genuinely surprised some of you here that actually know what you are saying took the pains to argue with him.

I'll rather talk about Mr Johnson's never ending challenge of "Tell me someone other than the South African nobel winner to call Achebe the Father of African Literature" ....My God you shocked the bejesus out of me. Like seriously is that really the point of this whole argument? But its alright, let me indulge you.

Now listen, somebody will have to start something, and if the fact that a Nobel prize winner in Literature was the first to give Achebe that title (which the rest of the world (both literary and non literary) with the exception of WS agrees with, mind) does not help you see how clearly he deserves the title then nothing on earth will. Its not a matter of who else has called him by that title after that (because you cannot rationally expect us to actually conjure up a list of everybody who have talked about CA before his death). The most obvious answer to your unnecessary question is the tributes and praises that have come in from all over the world from heads of states and very prominent and notable people at his death, referring to him as Father of Modern African Literature (at least 2/3 of all the tributes i read had that title or a paraphrase of it in them). If that dosn't answer your question then nothing else will.

Its just sad that when you have been defeated on all fronts, you still try to stay relevant in the argument by asking who else apart from a particular person has called Achebe Father of Modern African Literature. I mean dude, google is your friend.

And to other people on here with anti-CA sentiments, the only advice i can give you all is to go have your minds liberated and don't let your disgusting tribalism stop you from recognizing the immeasurable contributions of Chinua Achebe to African literature and to accord him the honor he deserves. Posters before me have given you all the links you need. Keep an open mind, read those links and realize your folly.

Chinua Achebe is the Father of Modern African Literature. The world has given him that prestigious title and honor. It will stick, and no amount of argument on Nairaland or elsewhere will change that.

God bless all of you. Goodday.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 26, 2013
Henchyk, CA was a great writer but was never at any point in time, in any place, at any event crowned father of African literature. WS' interview is simple to be understood. He only affirmed the position of CA, who never liked being labelled such. I ask again, who, apart from Nadine Gordimer, called or calls CA father of African literature? If you can tell me I will quit this thread. He is widely referred to as a storyteller. Read newspapers, both local and international, you will never see where he is called father of African literature. Even his fellow Igbo man, Douglas Anele, a philosopher in UNILAG, and columnist in the Vanguard, a man whom I respect so much for his "Sunday Perspective", called him STORYTELLER with all sense of respect.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 26, 2013
My parting shot, not finally but for today is this: In the academia, and in literature in particular, prizes, not titles, are given to exceptionally proven scholars. Titles are more traditional and stick. They are most times heriditary among family members. But in the academia, there are no such things because, as Yoruba people would say, "ko s'obo ni Idanre" (there is no underdog). No writer is an island of knowledge, which gives him an eternal edge over others. If the first winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature had had the word "prize" removed and replaced with either father (mother) or king (queen), shall we be talking anything about prize? No! No because titles are not always rotational. The exercise itself wouldn't have any much proper publicity because as a 'title', it is a family thing.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by henchyk(m): 10:27pm On May 26, 2013
Ola Johnson: Henchyk, CA was a great writer but was never at any point in time, in any place, at any event crowned father of African literature. WS' interview is simple to be understood. He only affirmed the position of CA, who never liked being labelled such. I ask again, who, apart from Nadine Gordimer, called or calls CA father of African literature? If you can tell me I will quit this thread. He is widely referred to as a storyteller. Read newspapers, both local and international, you will never see where he is called father of African literature. Even his fellow Igbo man, Douglas Anele, a philosopher in UNILAG, and columnist in the Vanguard, a man whom I respect so much for his "Sunday Perspective", called him STORYTELLER with all sense of respect.

I do not get you sir. So how does being a Storyteller exclude you from being referred to as Father of Modern African Literature? Need i remind you that the term "Storyteller" refers to a very special niche in literature reserved for people who narrate fiction and make it relevant to current or historic happenings. In otherwords, that term is not a derogatory one but a very complimentary one. Even Achebe calls himself a storyteller. Although i am still struggling to see how Achebe being a storyteller has anything to do with him being called the Father of Modern African Literature. You see how once again you are effectively clutching at straws? You even when went ahead to ask me that miserable question of who else has referred to Achebe as Father of Modern African Literature even when i answered you beyond permissable doubt in my former post.

I think your problem is that you have failed to understand why Achebe was given that title. His work was actually the first to expose the concept of African literature to the world. Before him, the world outside had no idea Africa can tell its story, can write about itself. It is very important you understand the point i'm trying to make here. He made the world to become aware of and interested in African literature (hence Father of Modern African literature) by writing a novel that cut accross cultures and boundaries and found relevance in so many societies of the world. I need not remind you how much of a success Things fall Apart was.

Now this is why Achebe was referred to as Father of Modern African literature and that is aside from the fact that he served as the 1st Editor in chief of the African Writers Series where he published scores of early African classics like Weep not Child and The Beautiful ones are not yet born amongst others. Not to mention his fatherly advices and guidance to the young African writers of his day. He served as the Head of the African Writers Series for a long time and helped shape the direction of modern literature in Africa. Honestly i cannot think of anyone more befitting of the title of Father of Modern African Literature than Chinua Achebe.

I do not want to believe that tribalism is the only factor playing a role in your blind arguments and i would like to think that you are slightly uninformed about the details of Achebe's contibutions to African literature and that is why i took time to reply you.

Please stop arguing blindly on this matter and see truth as it is. I know yoruba people as open minded people and this attitude of yours is really not doing any good to the reputation of your tribe.

Give honor to whom honor is due.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 26, 2013
Tot they said nobel prize was d highest prize, y are they envying d title of Father too.

Achebe remains Africa's foremost writer to everyone in d world. WS remains a local champion n laurette. He shd deal with it
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:49am On May 27, 2013
Henchyk, first, put my tribe aside. I'm not a tribalist. Have I mentioned my tribe as being superior to any? Tell me. If storytelling 'refers to a very special niche in literature reserved for people who narrate fiction and make it relevant to current or historic happening', then you will be doing yourself the good of refering to CA as the MASTER STORYTELLER. Yes, MASTER STORYTELLER, not even father or king storyteller.

Yes, CA was the first editor of the African Writers Series (AWS), he never published Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born (AWS 43)and Weep Not Child (AWS 7). They were published by their authors, Ayi Kwei Armah and Ngugi Wa Thiong'O, respectively. They are novels published as books not poems published together with others in an anthology like "Poems Of Black Africa" with over 300 poems edited by WS. Or like papers gathered in seminars or conferences and then go to the editor(s) for publication as done in History, Philosophy, etc.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:02am On May 27, 2013
Ngozievergreen, you've mentioned this severally. We need explicable facts. It is rather unfortunate for you to call WS a local champion. But be that as it may I will let it slide as our discourse is centered, to a large extent, around CA.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by henchyk(m): 8:35am On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson: Henchyk, first, put my tribe aside. I'm not a tribalist. Have I mentioned my tribe as being superior to any? Tell me. If storytelling 'refers to a very special niche in literature reserved for people who narrate fiction and make it relevant to current or historic happening', then you will be doing yourself the good of refering to CA as the MASTER STORYTELLER. Yes, MASTER STORYTELLER, not even father or king storyteller.

Yes, CA was the first editor of the African Writers Series (AWS), he never published Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born (AWS 43)and Weep Not Child (AWS 7). They were published by their authors, Ayi Kwei Armah and Ngugi Wa Thiong'O, respectively. They are novels published as books not poems published together with others in an anthology like "Poems Of Black Africa" with over 300 poems edited by WS. Or like papers gathered in seminars or conferences and then go to the editor(s) for publication as done in History, Philosophy, etc.

Its quite obvious even to the blind that you are a tribalist. Your argument lacks form and pattern and that can only be achieved by someone with heavy sectional bias.

I think you are getting the point of the argument wrong. The question was "Does Achebe deserve the Title of Father of Modern African Literature?". I've written a couple of posts now explaining to you why Achebe deserves that title and the only thing you could come up with was that Achebe Is just a Master storyteller. I really do not get you. Are you trying to say that Fiction or Prose is less dignified than Poetry in Literature? Or are you trying to say that on account of Achebe being a Master Storyteller, he cannot therefore be called Father of Modern African Literature? Is there some kind of mutually exclusive function between those two titles? You are just confusing youself.

Being called the Father of Modern African Literature has absolutely nothing to do with the genre of Literature you belong to so please do not bring up the issue of Achebe being a storyteller again. You are steadily losing credibility with each new post you write. I have explained to you how and why Achebe deserves that title in my previous post and i would not be dragged into doing it again.

And point of correction. It was Achebe who published those Aforementioned early African classics (weep not child, etc) and not the authors. Published not wrote. Get the distinction. He did that in his capacity as Editor in chief of the AWS. Therefore he was the leader of modern African literature. WS was the only notable African literary artist that refused to be part of the AWS. That should give you an idea of how influential the AWS was... And Achebe was its first leader for close to 12 years. He pioneered Modern African Literature and you have to come to terms with that.

Can you, even in the blindness of your tribal sentiments mention even one african writer who deserves that fond and honorary Title of Father of Modern African Literature more than Chinua Achebe? I challenge you to mention even one soul... But please, for everything that is reasonable and sensible, do not mention Wole Soyinka because that will only highlight how petty and ignorant you are.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:34am On May 27, 2013
henchyk:

Its quite obvious even to the blind that you are a tribalist. Your argument lacks form and pattern and that can only be achieved by someone with heavy sectional bias.

I think you are getting the point of the argument wrong. The question was "Does Achebe deserve the Title of Father of Modern African Literature?". I've written a couple of posts now explaining to you why Achebe deserves that title and the only thing you could come up with was that Achebe Is just a Master storyteller. I really do not get you. Are you trying to say that Fiction or Prose is less dignified than Poetry in Literature? Or are you trying to say that on account of Achebe being a Master Storyteller, he cannot therefore be called Father of Modern African Literature? Is there some kind of mutually exclusive function between those two titles? You are just confusing youself.

Being called the Father of Modern African Literature has absolutely nothing to do with the genre of Literature you belong to so please do not bring up the issue of Achebe being a storyteller again. You are steadily losing credibility with each new post you write. I have explained to you how and why Achebe deserves that title in my previous post and i would not be dragged into doing it again.

And point of correction. It was Achebe who published those Aforementioned early African classics (weep not child, etc) and not the authors. Published not wrote. Get the distinction. He did that in his capacity as Editor in chief of the AWS. Therefore he was the leader of modern African literature. WS was the only notable African literary artist that refused to be part of the AWS. That should give you an idea of how influential the AWS was... And Achebe was its first leader for close to 12 years. He pioneered Modern African Literature and you have to come to terms with that.

Can you, even in the blindness of your tribal sentiments mention even one african writer who deserves that fond and honorary Title of Father of Modern African Literature more than Chinua Achebe? I challenge you to mention even one soul... But please, for everything that is reasonable and sensible, do not mention Wole Soyinka because that will only highlight how petty and ignorant you are.
I will not say CA or any person, not even WS, deserves that title because it doesn't exist. Ge that?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:42am On May 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

aigbofa, now you have really gone bananas. You claim ironsi is father of nigeria's unitary woes? I thought your hausa/fulani masters had 'fixed' that already. Ironsi undoubtedly was an excellent soldier but a terrible politician. However, your pretencious ogas-at-the-top have given nigeria a 'model' for true federalism after the civil war. They never knew better. OLODOs.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:49am On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

aigbofa, now you have really gone bananas. You claim ironsi is father of nigeria's unitary woes? I thought your hausa/fulani masters had 'fixed' that already. Ironsi undoubtedly was an excellent soldier but a terrible politician. However, your pretencious ogas-at-the-top have given nigeria a 'model' for true federalism after the civil war. They never knew better. OLODOs.

The Nigerian federation was negotiated before independence, not like the current pseudo federal system we have. If I can go a step further, I will call him the father of mediocrity in Nigeria.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:53am On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson: Ngozievergreen, you've mentioned this severally. We need explicable facts. It is rather unfortunate for you to call WS a local champion. But be that as it may I will let it slide as our discourse is centered, to a large extent, around CA.

o boy, i thought you wanted this thread closed earlier. Now the thread is at it's 36th page and you are still spewing your junk. You are truly spineless.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 12:33pm On May 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

The Nigerian federation was negotiated before independence, not like the current pseudo federal system we have. If I can go a step further, I will call him the father of mediocrity in Nigeria.

every avid historian knew that the nigerian federation before independence had ethnic cracks and regional fault lines. Apparently you are a JJC in nigeria's political history. Let me educate you a bit. The first major civil unrest politically motivated took place in the western region. What do you think instigated and justified the first coup by the 5 majors? Mr. Aigbofa, you have a lot of learning to do to save you the embarassment of making stupid comments here.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

every avid historian knew that the nigerian federation before independence had ethnic cracks and regional fault lines. Apparently you are a JJC in nigeria's political history. Let me educate you a bit. The first major civil unrest politically motivated took place in the western region. What do you think instigated and justified the first coup by the 5 majors? Mr. Aigbofa, you have a lot of learning to do to save you the embarassment of making stupid comments here.

Please educate me since you have volunteered to do so. All I need to learn at this initial stage is whether or not he made Nigeria a unitary state. Oya fire on, my teacher. I am hungry for knowledge.
I will also like to thank Ironsi that Nigeria today no longer have regional and ethnic fault lines. He must have been a genius.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

o boy, i thought you wanted this thread closed earlier. Now the thread is at it's 36th page and you are still spewing your junk. You are truly spineless.
This thread won't close until you realize that there is nothing like father of African literature. It doesn't exist.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 4:41pm On May 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

Please educate me since you have volunteered to do so. All I need to learn at this initial stage is whether or not he made Nigeria a unitary state. Oya fire on, my teacher. I am hungry for knowledge.
I will also like to thank Ironsi that Nigeria today no longer have regional and ethnic fault lines. He must have been a genius.

the british actually made their government in nigeria unitary until when the wave for independence for african states began. By the way, ironsi was credited for making nigerian foreign affairs and embassies one, not before when there was (particularly) western nigeria embassies abroad alongside other regions. By the way, relating these to this thread's topic, the igbos have always been one-nigerian, even more than the northern and western nigeria. Achebe brought literary reputation to nigeria and africa. His germinal role in modern african literature is indisputable. Why are you people so envious of a people who are helping in making nigeria and africa a better place? Particularly achebe.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

the british actually made their government in nigeria unitary until when the wave for independence for african states began. By the way, ironsi was credited for making nigerian foreign affairs and embassies one, not before when there was (particularly) western nigeria embassies abroad alongside other regions. By the way, relating these to this thread's topic, the igbos have always been one-nigerian, even more than the northern and western nigeria. Achebe brought literary reputation to nigeria and africa. His germinal role in modern african literature is indisputable. Why are you people so envious of a people who are helping in making nigeria and africa a better place? Particularly achebe.

what do they know kwanu? If unitary system is bad, y didnt they abolish it after d war? D last tym i checked,since after d war, igbos were never d heads of states/presidents, so y didnt dey convert to wat they tnink is better? Yet, dey are blaming Ironsi for wat i dont even know.

During regionalism, d western region was even in a state of emergency. Na dere agbero politics start and everything was abated by Ironsi.
As far as am concerned, no system of nigeria wl even succeed in dis nation till a sanitizing SNC is being held. Or better still dis country divides.......

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

"Major-General Johnson Thompson Umunnakwe Aguiyi Ironsi was the General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army. A hard-drinking, slow-speaking introvert who had risen from the ranks, and had been trained at Eaton Hall and Camberley Staff College, he was however considered both inept and inefficient-hardly the calibre of officer to command an army. In fact, the coup planners considered him unfit to command even a funeral detail". Those were the words Ben Gbulie in his book, Nigeria's Five Majors, used to describe your "excellent soldier".
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 27, 2013
ngozievergreen:

what do they know kwanu? If unitary system is bad, y didnt they abolish it after d war? D last tym i checked,since after d war, igbos were never d heads of states/presidents, so y didnt dey convert to wat they tnink is better? Yet, dey are blaming Ironsi for wat i dont even know.

During regionalism, d western region was even in a state of emergency. Na dere agbero politics start and everything was abated by Ironsi.
As far as am concerned, no system of nigeria wl even succeed in dis nation till a sanitizing SNC is being held. Or better still dis country divides.......

It took your man a stroke of the pen to undo what was carefully negotiated by people who were far more capable than he was. Do you think these things are changeable like you change your hair do? That is why it was such a great error of judgement on his part. So much for Igbo superior administrative ability.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 5:51pm On May 27, 2013
@Johnson,
can you quote the page from the book "Five Majors? I have it here with me.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 6:04pm On May 27, 2013
You are being silly, disingenious and mischievous. What prevented the successive administrations including Obasanjo's regime from reversing the decree put in place by Ironsi if they considers it seriously flawed? Why move further to make the decree permanent?

Aigbofa:

It took your man a stroke of the pen to undo what was carefully negotiated by people who were far more capable than he was. Do you think these things are changeable like you change your hair do? That is why it was such a great error of judgement on his part. So much for Igbo superior administrative ability.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 6:11pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
"Major-General Johnson Thompson Umunnakwe Aguiyi Ironsi was the General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army. A hard-drinking, slow-speaking introvert who had risen from the ranks, and had been trained at Eaton Hall and Camberley Staff College, he was however considered both inept and inefficient-hardly the calibre of officer to command an army. In fact, the coup planners considered him unfit to command even a funeral detail". Those were the words Ben Gbulie in his book, Nigeria's Five Majors, used to describe your "excellent soldier".

who is gbulie? Where was he when ironsi was queen elizabeth's special security aide, macpherson's adc, UN Commander in the congo war, WW2 west africa frontier force commanding officer. He was west africa's foremost general and no even his 6-month tenure as head of state of nigeria (awolowo's dream ambition) can erase that. Ola your envy of igbos is a disease that will bury you one day.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 6:26pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
This thread won't close until you realize that there is nothing like father of African literature. It doesn't exist.

in your world it dosen't. In the real world it does.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

who is gbulie? Where was he when ironsi was queen elizabeth's special security aide, macpherson's adc, UN Commander in the congo war, WW2 west africa frontier force commanding officer. He was west africa's foremost general and no even his 6-month tenure as head of state of nigeria (awolowo's dream ambition) can erase that. Ola your envy of igbos is a disease that will bury you one day.
You are taking this too far. I may get even with you, and you will regret it.
Obafemi Awolowo might not have been president, but what he achieved as the Premier of Western Region was far greater than those of other two regions and the Federal Government put together.
*He built the first TV station in Africa (now NTA Ibadan).
*He built the first olympic size stadium in Africa (Liberty Stadium). While Ibadan as at 1960 had this stadium in addition to the Lekan Salami Stadium, no region had any. On the visit of the Queen's representative during the independence celebration in 1960, she was hosted in schools' playground in the Eastern and Northern regions. In the capital, Lagos, it was in the Race Course (now TBS), where invited guests sat under tents. But in the Western Region, it was in the Lekan Balogun Stadium, Ibadan, where guests sat in the state box (VIP).
*He built the University of Ife (now OAU), my Alma Mater, reputed to be the most beautiful in Africa.
*When the Western Region was budgeting 55 % of its total budget on education, the highest in the other two regions was not more than 20 %.

He did all this with the proceeds from the sale of cocoa.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 27, 2013
Son-Of-El:

in your world it dosen't. In the real world it does.
Who invented it? Who are the members in its board? Be sensible for once.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (46) (Reply)

Why Fayose Is Not Among Governors Visiting Buhari - Presidency / Aisha Buhari And Dolapo Osinbajo In Abuja Buying Suya (Photo) / Aminu Ado Bayero Biography: Emir Of Kano's Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.