Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68057 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 9:29pm On May 27, 2013
ACM10: @Johnson,
can you quote the page from the book "Five Majors? I have it here with me.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by 4chi: 9:38pm On May 27, 2013
So with a one hit wonder one can become the fada of African ( not even Nigeria o!) literature. No surprises here ibos are largely delusional and their vacuous self flagellation knows no

bounds. Aren't they the one that always have "1st" in front of their hamlet titles. Everyone is 1st in igboland, so let's humour them and accept that asebe is not only the father but the fore fada

and agbalagbi 1st of African literature...happy now?? grin grin

Same accolade must however be extended to all other one hit wonders like nico mbarga who failed to replicate his "sweet mother" hit. He is hereby declared the forefather of African highlife

and papa fryo whose "denge pose" still resonates as the grandfather of African reggae. So tan?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:42pm On May 27, 2013
[quote author=ACM10][/quote]
Search it yourself, where he described those that were killed.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:02pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 27, 2013
It doesnt mean Awolowo didnt do all he could to be president , yet no way. Tried beibg anti-igbo, no way. Tried propaganda against d north, na dat one evn make him drink ota pia pia.

So , d thread don derail to Awolowo tnz? Achebe, na u biko!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:03pm On May 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

I will call him the father of mediocrity in Nigeria.

I thought Ola and some others said that the "Father" of anything does not exist.
When Igbos start claiming that Ironsi is the Father of Something now (as you put it, "mediocrity"wink you will people will start dragging that one again.
Osu abughi anu elu, obughi anu ala (the bat does not claim to belong to the air or land).
Abeg I tire today. Achebe don die and Soyinka will not remain on earth forever, but both have made their Marks. So therefore make I go sleep and regain my strenght so that when am old, others will be arguing over my achievement of non -achievement.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:06pm On May 27, 2013
ngozievergreen: It doesnt mean Awolowo didnt do all he could to be president , yet no way. Tried beibg anti-igbo, no way. Tried propaganda against d north, na dat one evn make him drink ota pia pia.

So , d thread don derail to Awolowo tnz? Achebe, na u biko!
Am still tired ohhhhh......
but my mind tell me say Awolowo fit be the "Father of Modern Ota Pia Pia"
Ngo, how you see am.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:08pm On May 27, 2013
4chi:

and agbalagbi 1st of African literature...happy now?? grin grin

Same accolade must however be extended to all other one hit wonders like nico mbarga who failed to replicate his "sweet mother" hit. He is hereby declared the forefather of African highlife

and papa fryo whose "denge pose" still resonates as the grandfather of African reggae. So tan?
yes ohhhhhh.... you get am.
But you forget Awolowo, "Father of Modern Ota Pia Pia" put that one join.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:10pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:

One of the issues I have with posters here bothers on integrity. Posters here are fond of making a non-existent quotes to win an argument. Don't doubt me, I have my personal copy of Ben Gbulie's book here with me. Just direct me to the page.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

I thought Ola and some others said that the "Father" of anything does not exist.
When Igbos start claiming that Ironsi is the Father of Something now (as you put it, "mediocrity"wink you will people will start dragging that one again.
Osu abughi anu elu, obughi anu ala (the bat does not claim to belong to the air or land).
Abeg I tire today. Achebe don die and Soyinka will not remain on earth forever, but both have made their Marks. So therefore make I go sleep and regain my strenght so that when am old, others will be arguing over my achievement of non -achievement.
I still stand on my position, others may shift grounds: There is nothing like father of African literature.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 27, 2013
ACM10:

One of the issues I have with posters here bothers on integrity. Posters here are fond of making a non-existent quotes to win an argument. Don't doubt me, I have my personal copy of Ben Gbulie's book here with. Just direct me to the page.
If you had started searching you would have made progress. Search.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:14pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I still stand on my position, others may shift grounds: There is nothing like father of African literature.
There is a difference ohh.
The title says "Father of MODERN African Literature", ehhhn?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:16pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If you had started searching you would have made progress. Search.
Ola the onus is on you to quote..... and not for him to search.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 27, 2013
Chinua Achebe, rest in peace.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

There is a difference ohh.
The title says "Father of MODERN African Literature", ehhhn?
You can't confuse me, none exists.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:19pm On May 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

Ola the onus is on you to quote..... and not for him to search.

The problem is that the said quote does not exist in the book.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:24pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You can't confuse me, none exists.
Ok.
But the " Father of other things" apart from Literature do exist?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:27pm On May 27, 2013
ACM10: @Johnson,
can you quote the page from the book "Five Majors? I have it here with me.

Mr Johnson, I have already established that you are biased. Don't make me question your integrity. Respond to the above.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

Ok.
But the " Father of other things" apart from Literature do exist?
Mention them.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 27, 2013
ACM10:

Mr Johnson, I have already established that you are biased. Don't make me question your integrity. Respond to the above.
You've said somewhere that it doesn't exist. Now you are saying I should give you the page. If you have searched, as you want to make me believe and can't find it, let it slide.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eagleeye2: 10:39pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You've said somewhere that it doesn't exist. Now you are saying I should give you the page. If you have searched, as you want to make me believe and can't find it, let it slide.
No. Iro ni. Mba nu. Why should he let it slide? Ola no go fall my hand ohhh.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

No. Iro ni. Mba nu. Why should he let it slide? Ola no go fall my hand ohhh.
Make I no fall your hand, right? Who tell you to carry your hand up?
This thread should not be derailed. We are still on CA.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:57pm On May 27, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Make I no fall your hand, right? Who tell you to carry your hand up?
This thread should not be derailed. We are still on CA.

hahaha, bros you are a born chameleon. Imagine a derailer-in-chief cautioning someone that has been on topic all the while?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to provide the page of your Five Majors quote.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by K08(m): 11:19pm On May 27, 2013
nolongtin: Also:
Why He Wished Achebe Had Not Written His Last Book; What He Told Ojukwu
Before The War; Genocide, And Other Issues

.Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has described Africa’s most well known
novelist, Chinua Achebe, as a storyteller who earned global celebration,
adding, however, that those describing Achebe as “the father of African
literature” were ignorant.

In a wide-ranging interview with SaharaReporters, Soyinka paid tribute
to the late novelist who died on March 21, 2013 at 82. Soyinka, who won
the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, also spoke on his personal
relationship with Achebe and other Nigerian writers; his regrets about
Achebe’s last book, There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra;
and his attempt to talk the late Biafran leader, Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu,
out of fighting a war. Soyinka also answered questions about Heinemann’s
African Writers Series and scolded “clannish” and “opportunistic
hagiographers” fixated on the fact that Achebe never won the Nobel
Prize.

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 6:32am On May 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
"Major-General Johnson Thompson Umunnakwe Aguiyi Ironsi was the General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army. A hard-drinking, slow-speaking introvert who had risen from the ranks, and had been trained at Eaton Hall and Camberley Staff College, he was however considered both inept and inefficient-hardly the calibre of officer to command an army. In fact, the coup planners considered him unfit to command even a funeral detail". Those were the words Ben Gbulie in his book, Nigeria's Five Majors, used to describe your "excellent soldier".

Dishonest Ola Johnson, provide the page in Ben Gbulie's "Five Majors" for the above quote?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:00am On May 28, 2013
This thread must not derail. We are still on CA. Meanwhile, CA, rest in peace.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 28, 2013
Ola Johnson: This thread must not derail. We are still on CA. Meanwhile, CA, rest in peace.

Hey Ola, I get your argument. ' Father' is a contextual title that is subject to personal experience. In other words, a father must be a trail blazer, someone who set a path for others to follows. Or he could be the first to have done or achieved a mark that inspires other. Now who can we say set the path or introduce modern African literature to the world. The mere fact that a Nobelist like Nadine Gordimer said its Achebe should be construed within her experience as a writer who had her book published by Achebe. The fact that the first African to be awarded the Nobel Prize disagreed with that notion should equally be construed within his experience as a colleague of Achebe and a Father figure himself. Now, Soyinka is the only Nigerian whose face is on the postal stamp of another country- Sierra Leone. You don't just put any foreigner on a national postal, stamp, such a person must be a legend, so we must respect his views even if we disagree

Back to the question, can we genuinely say that the world was not aware of Modern African literature until Achebe wrote 'things fall apart?' No, the world was very much aware of lots of African writers. In fact Peter Abraham, the South African who wrote ' Mine Boy' 1954, was considered the first person to introduce Modern African literature to the world audience. Until 'Mine Boy' was written, nobody knew what was like to live under an apartheid regime. Apartheid was of more relevance to world thinking than the refusal of some tribal groups to accept civilisation a'la ' Things fall apart'

Furthermore, the fact that 'Things fall apart' was the most translated novel from Africa ( sold 10 million and translated into 50 languages)is not sufficient to consider the title in favour of Achebe, otherwise, we might appear unintelligent to over 400 million people who bought J..K Rowling novel' Harry Potter' now translated into 67 languages.

Summarily, Achebe could be considered one of the founding fathers of modern African literature in the light of his very remarkable contributions to modern African literature. If, however, we insist on a single person, then it is most appropriate to award the title to Peter Abraham.

By the way Ola, avoid responding to some people on the forum, not everybody can see beyond primordial and tribal allegiance.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 28, 2013
eagle,eye:

Am still tired ohhhhh......
but my mind tell me say Awolowo fit be the "Father of Modern Ota Pia Pia"
Ngo, how you see am.

Na so im be nah, ka okeke jechere army, kedu boot ya
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 28, 2013
Percipi1, you've spoken well. It surprises me how the calling of CA father of (modern) African literature increased after his death. Could it be because he died never winning the prestigious Nobel Laureate Prize in Literature which his tribe's men so much desired to make him par with WS? I know that since 2007 when Nadine Gordimer called him that no other recognized writer called him that, not even Gordimer, till his death. It surprised me how CA used his last book to make more enemies for his tribe which his people now see in the Yoruba because of his painting Obafemi Awolowo as a tribalist. Today, any misfortune that befalls them will be blamed on Awolowo, Obasanjo, Soyinka or all the Yoruba.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by rhymz(m): 4:00pm On May 28, 2013
@ACM
You just got that flippant tribalist cornered, misquoting a book that any serious minded observer can easily look up and make a mess of his bigoted claims. These guyz' will do anything to downplay Achebe's work, reach and influnce yet they are quick to play up Soyinka's relatively limited influence, reach and likeability.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 28, 2013
rhymz: @ACM
You just got that flippant tribalist cornered, misquoting a book that any serious minded observer can easily look up and make a mess of his bigoted claims. These guyz' will do anything to downplay Achebe's work, reach and influnce yet they are quick to play up Soyinka's relatively limited influence, reach and likeability.

I don't like people who turn down facts to boost their primordial sentiments. Honestly if a Nobel Prize winner, whose face is on a national postal stamp in Sierra Leone is considered, in your view, to be of 'relativey limited influence'; then you are definitey worse that your flippant tribalist. If you have issues with Soyinka's English, you should seek clarification.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 28, 2013
ACM10:

Dishonest Ola Johnson, provide the page in Ben Gbulie's "Five Majors" for the above quote?
Your continued insistence that I tell you the page(s), even after I gave you a cue that could lead you to them, only shows how worse the dying culture of reading could be. I find it difficult to believe that after telling you that you can find the quote in the part of the book where the officers that were killed and others are, you still can't find it. I won't tell you the page(s). Not now. If you still insist, I'll direct you to another book, "The Five Majors - Why They Struck" by A. M. Mainasara, pg 25, where the same quote is made. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (46) (Reply)

#SackBuhari: Lai Mohammed Begs Nigerians To Pardon Buhari Over Certificate / Juju Priestesses At Edo Assembly, Curse Obaseki’s Enemies / Oyegun, Patience And Goodluck Jonathan At Ekwueme's Burial (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.