Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,914 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan (25654 Views)

APC Now Riding On Jonathan’s Legacies. Pictures. / Lagos: All The Legacies Of Fashola Are Fast Deteriorating / Olusegun Obasanjo vs Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by tundeism: 6:46pm On Oct 08, 2013
ifihearam: I do not think there is any basis of comparison,obj wasted 8 years in office CANNOT be compared to what his excellency has achieved in the past 3 years.
please sir, can u tell us what your "excellency" has achieved in the last three years
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by wetdspace(m): 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
I joined this site in believe there're highly intellectual ppl here I can learn from....but as I see it, '' hey I'm the first to post'' and still repeat itself.

Some will just put ...... (dots)Get 100 likes, some people still continue to do it.

And some were just slowpoke as if they have no iota of brain like a single pinch of salt.

Well back to the matter....

GEJ administration is of PDP which OBJ was formerly a president, it should then be a continuous thing, since he took over from yaradua, but as U can see, he his yet to achieve 4000 megawatts yaradua promised.

He refused to declare his assets as yaradua did.

He inflated the price of fuel against the wish of yaradua.

He turned the militants to a strong room of corruption.

He influenced and inflated corruption more.

He initially started to give more money to security when the bombings were not that rampant so you must know he has he a mission cos they must spend all the money allocated to security in the budget.

Now tell me, what has he achieved, his achievements should be a continuous process since they are in the same party.

So please don't compare death with sleep.

The greatest mistakes and regrets you will have in life is when you refuse to be sincere with yourself.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Codedrock: AND IF YOU THINK THEY BOTH SUCK LIKE HELL.. LIKE THIS POST!.

no vex o. wetin dem dey suck.. tonto ?
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Wealthlex(m): 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
U re sick on ur head if u re companion Gej with oBJ...TELL ME WHT Janatha is facing from dis north leader OBJ did nt go through it
Jensen_elizz: I think jonathan does nt have enuf bite/say to rule nigerians......obasanjo was nt a saint we all agree that bt at least im do sometin wey nigerians use remember am.....jona just dey do mumu,,,light wey im promise we no see,infrastructure nko we no get,ASUU strike con even worse for im tenure,boko dey bomb everyday without fear say any body go stop dem,plane crash every year............well i no blame am sha im dey see chicken and turkey chop na
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Dagoma: 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Are they comparable? Johnathan's achievement(s)(if any) MUST be enumerated before comparism.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Codedrock: AND IF YOU THINK THEY BOTH SUCK LIKE HELL.. LIKE THIS POST!.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ElijahOguns: 7:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Ask over 2400 Youwin awardee they will tell u Gej creat Job more than any President.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by fursh(m): 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2013
debbleopto:

see your wisdom (ignorance ) . you don't know what is called CGPA. Jonathan is already scoring 29% in 100 - 300 level. it will affect his final CGPA.

Mr intellectual of CGPA, go ahead and explain to me what it means. Would have talked more about what you brought up now but I don't want to indulge in a conversation with someone that thinks all there is to life is insults.

Incase of next time, try to make your points without calling someone names. A billion tins is ringing in my head right now to pass accross to you but I won't. As Insult is always my last resort. Pls stay away
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by fursh(m): 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
dollarlander:
But why can't he stop the oil bunkering in the NDelta. I think he is involved.

Quite a funny comment.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by norigams(m): 7:46pm On Oct 08, 2013
If na OBJ be president ? Na who be boko H ? & ombatse ? Dey 4 become history 4 9ja.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Tayeni(m): 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
whizkidd: Obsanjo was a proactive reformer but a terrible politician. Some of his achievements are:

Debt Relief, Bank Consolidation, Stock Exchange growth, Setting up the Foreign Reserve & Excess Crude accounts, NEEDS/SEEDS/LEEDS framework. The power reforms in actuality started with Obsanjo with the setting up of the regulatory framework (NERC) and building of the NIPP's. A lot of the work that is being commissioned now started during his regime.

However, setting up frameworks and putting people on the ground to execute are totally different which is where he failed abysmally. By rigging thugs into state government houses and cuddling incompetent ministers/commissioners, he invariable undid the work his government started. Lastly, he handed us a sick and unfit Yar'Adua as president which to me is an unforgivable sin and is a reason for much of the problems going on in the country right now.

Jonathan to me is a consolidator, finishing some of the needed reformed and building on them:

By continuing and completing the power reforms started by Obasanjo and perfected by Barth Nnaji, Jonathan might be the President that finally solves our power problems (which everyone know accounts for 70% of Nigeria's problems).

The deregulation of the fuel industry though highly unpopular, was the right move and one that took a lot of guts. You guys voted him to make the difficult choices not the convenient ones. In the long run, investment in refinement would not be possible without total deregulation (Dangote for example). Expect total deregulation if he is re-elected.
The setting up of the Sovereign Wealth Fund is another solid macro-economic decision that benefits us long term.
If they indeed setup the mortgage fund, that will be the biggest win for Nigerians. People still dont understand the importance of mortgages to a capitalist economy. This to me along with power reforms is the biggest reform that can be implemented.

On the downside, he has an absolutely abysmal record with corruption, and is playing election politics years in advance. The security situation in the country is worse than ever and he doesnt inspire confidence thing will get better. Also there is an absence of leadership to pass bills in the national assembly to benefit the country. More politics, less governance. Let's hope he can focus on working once he get re-elected (because he WILL win even if they have to burn the country down). God bless naija!
I'm sorry I'm quoting a very long comment. But its d most balanced, non partisan and intelligent opinion I've read on this thread. Very objective.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Afokesco(m): 7:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
Gej smiles any time he wants..while obj u hav to ask my oga at to top to tell you how obj does.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gidjah(m): 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
Bros obj might not b a saint, but he is a good sniper. gej behaves like a saint, but he is a fast crawling SNAIL!! NIG NIDS A HARDLINNER, FOCUSED UNINTIMIDATED PESN.UPTILL NOW WE DONOT HAVE SHOE INDUSTRY, RECALLING GRJ SAYING 'I HAD NO SHOES TO SCH ONES UPON A TIME '!!??
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Kingspin(m): 10:21pm On Oct 08, 2013
After several years of abandonment. the railway system is back on track. I was happy to hear the sound and picture of a train that arrived PortHarcourt today. Is real, Mr president is working ooh.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by awodman: 10:30pm On Oct 08, 2013
Kingspin: After several years of abandonment. the railway system is back on track. I was happy to hear the sound and picture of a train that arrived PortHarcourt today. Is real, Mr president is working ooh.
Pls bro if you have pictures post for us to see
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by harmless(m): 3:17am On Oct 09, 2013
chukwudi44: GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure
My heart bleeds when i see posts like this with 51likes, even with the deterioriting state of the nation, i feel pained to the realise the unfortunate reality that even if a fool is president, some, maybe even most nigerians within the same geopolitical region would support him in foolishness. Indeed we seem to need an iron hand leadership, we are not at all matured or intellectually ready for a true democracy smh. My worry is not actually the comparism of obasanjo with jonathan, i think that is a very subtle issue, my worry is for the weakness, the inefficiency, the lack of vision and articulatism of the current leadership not plunge the nation into a war, a tribal war, a war of corruption, a war of debt, a war of dilapitated educational sttructure, a war of backwardness. This is my worry. Obasanjo to the best of my knowledge is in a different league from Jonathan. Although OBJ has his flaws, he is an independent intellectual strategist , sincerely i would rather be comparing him with a Fashola or an El-Rufai in the context of leadership and not as president.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Gorrbachev: 4:28am On Oct 09, 2013
awodman: 1) Our elections are now free and fair under GEJ as evident in Edo, Ondo and in the 2011 general elections..the benefits of the people having the power to hire and fire need not be over-emphasized

2) The power reforms of GEJ will dwarf any legacy OBJ left behind

3) Our mass transit systems viz rail, roads, ports and airports will also be another legacy

4) D[b]emystification of Governance and all the secrecy associated with it[/b]

5) The reforms in agriculture will also be another legacy

Bros, declare your assets.

No!!! I don't five a damn!! Pass me my Ogogoro. grin grin grin grin grin

Honey Shepopo!! x2, i here by declare you administrator of Rivers State, go and take over the state, block all the roads to.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by kingsolo215(m): 1:00pm On Oct 09, 2013
or Me I think say the achievements of GEJ are yet to be seen as he is a Leader appointed by GOD!
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ocelot2006(m): 7:48am On Oct 10, 2013
alex1612:
The Child that will sharp in life, from his childhood he will be talking and behaving sharp sharp. 7 UP Obj difference is cleared. No non sense for Boko Haram. He protect this nations in so many way. But initially l belief GEJ will perform better. BAABA U TRY OOOOOOOO...

Yeah....obj protected us against Boko Haram (that never existed at the time). But please do tell us how he faired during the boiling Niger Delta insurgency which btw reduced our oil production output. Go on.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 9:59am On Oct 25, 2013
Jonathan is much more democratic than OBJ! It was OBJ who declared a state of emergency in OYO state and removed the elected Governor for opposing the Ibadan politician (his godfather). However, Jonathan declared a state of emergency in 3 northern states and still retained the Civilian governors in line with the constitution of the federation. OBJ won't do this!
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 3:44pm On Oct 30, 2013
I respect the democratic ideals of President Jonathan...but I think he needs to show he's in firm control and very decisive in dealing with issues and people.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ikweremilitant: 5:58pm On Oct 30, 2013
gazilion: I just discussed with two of my colleagues during lunch today on President Jonathan's legacy or would be legacy after leaving office. Comparing him with our ex-president OBJ, I did point out 6 things that would remain a legacy and which positively impacted on the lives of virtually all average Nigerian families. I understand OBJ spent 8 years in office but with Jonathan's first term, any hope he'll surpass the legacies below?

Firstly, Obasanjo introduced and liberalised the use of the GSM. Prior to this, telephone - whether land or mobile was almost exclusively for the rich.

Secondly, it was under the Obasanjo leadership that Nigeria's debt got written off in the Paris Club.

Thirdly, it was Obasanjo who bravely retired all Military men in the Nigerian Army who had tasted or held any political office.

Fourthly, it was also under his leadership that the Nigerian banking institution got brilliant reformations (although with some lapses) - This reformation stopped the total collapse of the financial institution in Nigeria during global financial melt down.

Fifthly, under OBJ Prof. Dora Akunyili of NAFDAC brought back in Nigeria the integrity of pharmaceutical drugs and fought vehemently without ethnic colouration, the barons importing fake drugs in Nigeria.

Finally, the fight against corruption under OBJ's leadership did have some bite. Whether it was used in hunting political opponents or not...it did have some bite and we are all witnesses that since the exit of Mallam Ribadu, the anti-corruption institution has virtually lost her voice and temerity.

I'm just thinking aloud, what will president Jonathan's Legacy be?

Please, let's discuss with a sense of decorum without insulting one another including calling our leaders Obscene names.
u fogot to add d 16bilon dolas power money nd no grass was cleard pls add massive election rigng,wat of militocracy nd kidnapng of a sittng gov atleast obj introducd kidnapng.etc all na legacies o
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by stebell(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2013
dony forget de freedom of information bill, aviation, electricity will surpass all obj achieved
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by danot1030: 9:45pm On Oct 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparin legacis of som1 who is just 3 yrs in ofic with 1 dat completd 8 yrs? You'r confusd.
wot a disaster if within 3 yrs he destroy all d legacis built in 8yrs. wot wil remain if he spend 8yrs?

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by danot1030: 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by wizkidayodeji: 12:47pm On Sep 13, 2014

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 12:07pm On Sep 18, 2014
wizkidayodeji: Portrait painting of Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan by Ayeola Ayodeji.

Other Artworks by Ayeola Ayodeji.

well done...good artwork...
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Majesty2OA: 12:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
chukwudi44: GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure

For your information there isn't any better power output anywhere here. GEJ's privatisation of the power sector is another of his numerous failures.

For your information there isn't any better power output anywhere here. GEJ's privatisation of the power sector is another of his numerous failures.

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Majesty2OA: 12:46pm On Sep 18, 2014
The best and only legacy of this GEJ's administration is their brazzen and open corruption of the highest order as never seen in any democracy, strikes, unemployment, deceit, insecurity, etc.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2014
Majesty2OA: The best and only legacy of this GEJ's administration is their brazzen and open corruption of the highest order as never seen in any democracy, strikes, unemployment, deceit, insecurity, etc.

I agree there is corruption in this government like any past civilian administration but what I won't take away from the Jonathan's administration is his civility and acceptance of both constructive and abusive criticisms.

Jonathan's personality depicts him as a good gentleman but governing a country like Nigeria requires a leader who will not only bite when it is necessary but who can both bite and tear as an example to would be transgressors.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by egift(m): 2:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
Under Jonathan, the FG are now involved in illegal Arm Smuggling grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application / Lasun Yusuff Dumps APC (Photos) / Nigeria's School Feeding Prrogramme Featured On Al-jazeera.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.