Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,035 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) (67035 Views)

Aregbesola Visits Ooni Ogunwusi, Squats In His Palace. See Photos / Emir Of Ibi Gave Melaye Fish At His Palace (Photos) / $12billion Taken Out Of Nigeria During Jonathan's Regime – EFCC Boss, Lamorde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by ezeagu(m): 1:40pm On May 26, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^When I asserted that most of you have been brain-washed by Eurocentric lies, you disagreed. However, you just proved my assertion right by posting a picture of Egypt during the rule of foreign invaders.

Why can't you post pictures of Egypt from the pre-dynasty periods to the 23rd dynasty when everyone that ruled Egypt was black? grin

You're a joker!!! grin grin grin grin

I bet Obama being the President of America also means all Americans are black, no? grin

I don't really care what dynasty did what, that's the point. And the guy in the picture slaying those prisoners is brown.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 4:11am On Jun 13, 2013
Policewoman: Policemen of those days no dey wear shoe?? grin grin grin
I am an Obaseki, and I don't think my familly betrayed the Oba.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by osaxx: 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
Olu'femi Abbey:

You shared my mind. There are lots of things we can learn from the old Benin Kingdom. The only link ¶'ve heard so far about 'em is that they're descendants from Oduduwa. More please.
DONT U DARE SAY THAT AGAIN.......ODUDUWA CAME FROM BENIN...NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND......GO AND READ HISTORY...

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 2:17am On Jul 20, 2015
PhysicsQED:

Both groups were used during the invasion, although the Hausas were predominant among the African troops. There were also significant numbers of Yorubas that fought alongside the Ologbosere, Ebohon, and Oviawe in the resistance after the conquest. This is covered in some books (such as Robert Home's book City of Blood Revisited: A New Look at the Benin Expedition of 1897).

Ologbosere itself is a yoruba word.

What does it mean in bini?

In addition, the Oba wore a fleur de lis pattern in one picture.

Any idea why?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 2:18am On Jul 20, 2015
Syenite:
:oHow did they find their way to Calabar? Did they trek?

Yes, probably.

Also took part of the journey by sea:

[img]http://edodeltamovement.files./2015/02/11-001.jpg[/img]
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 2:35am On Jul 20, 2015
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 2:40am On Jul 20, 2015
The photographer chronicler of some of the events of that time:

[img]http://3.bp..com/-MEEP-LVYY0I/UFLZslAP5HI/AAAAAAAACMA/29-aTqFu5lw/s600/Rescuing+Green+2.jpgok[/img]
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 3:50am On Jul 20, 2015
Undated photo:

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PhysicsQED(m): 4:36am On Jul 25, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Ologbosere itself is a yoruba word.

What does it mean in bini?

In addition, the Oba wore a fleur de lis pattern in one picture.

Any idea why?

Ologbosere just means the Iyase's (Iyasere's) cat (ologbo). It was used as a kind of derogatory or deprecating name at first. The explanation of the origin of the name is given in A Short History of Benin by Jacob Egharevba. The personal name of the Ologbosere at the time of the British invasion was Irabor.

I guess your question arises from the idea that the 'ologbo' in the name is exclusively Yoruba. That is one school of thought. However the word was more widely spread in southern Nigeria. I know it was also used by the Urhobo, for example. In fact Bolaji Aremo, in his 2012 book on how the divergence of the Yoruba and Igbo languages occurred, includes a lengthy note on this word ologbo/onogbo (on page 52) where he argues that it is not actually clear that even the use of it among the Igbo was due to borrowing.

What would that name (Ologbosere) mean if it were read as Yoruba?

As for a "fleur de lis" pattern, perhaps you mean the quatrefoil leaf looking pattern seen on some of the art. Or can you post the specific photograph you are referring to?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:06am On Jul 25, 2015
I found through Google that ologbosere in Yoruba refers to a specific plant:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6YIJqE3Qep0C&pg=PA948

So I guess that answers what it means in Yoruba.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:09am On Jul 25, 2015
^
(Assuming that book is accurate, that is.)
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 5:11am On Jul 25, 2015
it was probably used in the same context as web, or trickster.

the meaning would depend on the pronunciation of sere.

the fleur de lis :

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by zinzane: 5:12am On Jul 25, 2015
omosexy1:
This will make a fantastic movie. Do know why our history are not portrayed on pictures so that our children can learn. What we have are stupid I LOVE YOU MOVIES and now afrocandy has added nudity to it.
There is a movie on it already. INVASION 1896 directed by Lancelot Imasuen. Quite popular movie.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:36am On Jul 25, 2015
tpiadotcom:
it was probably used in the same context as web, or trickster.

the meaning would depend on the pronunciation of sere.

Oh, that's interesting. I have read where the title was used in some Yoruba areas, but those were areas that were using it in the same way as at Benin. I didn't know it was a proper term (apart from the plant reference I just found) in other parts of Nigeria besides its historical use as a title.

the fleur de lis is on the lower right corner:

I see it. No definite idea why it is there but I will venture a guess. Oba Ovonramwen was on good terms with European visitors prior to right before the invasion so there is a possibility that it was a gift from such a visitor. Another possibility is that some weavers liked the look of the fleur de lis design they had seen on trade objects or foreign cloth obtained through trade and incorporated it into the clothing they made for the king.

There is a possibility that it was made from cloth/clothing given specifically to the palace by an earlier French visitor. Legroing, Balon, Jean-Francois Landolphe, or some other French visitors to Benin may have presented robes or fancy cloths as a gift (with fleur de lis on them) to another king of Benin in the 1700s and it is possible that some of these cloths that were not used by an earlier king could have been kept in storage somewhere in the palace and then worn by later kings.

That is just speculation as to a possible explanation for this particular piece of clothing of course, but we do know from written sources of gifts being presented to the palace by visiting envoys and traders.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 5:58am On Jul 25, 2015
what is the significance of having the chain on the upper part of the body as opposed to the feet, culturally speaking?

the Oba smiles and looks more relaxed when the chains are in the former position, compared to the latter.

in most Bini sculptures, the feet are small compared to the rest of the body- is there a traditional meaning to this?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PhysicsQED(m): 6:10am On Jul 25, 2015
tpiadotcom:
what is the significance of having the chain on the upper part of the body as opposed to the feet, culturally speaking?

the Oba smiles and looks more relaxed when the chains are in the former position, compared to the latter.

in most Bini sculptures, the feet are small compared to the rest of the body- is there a traditional meaning to this?

I don't know what significance the chain on the upper body could have. It doesn't look like it would even prevent a person from doing anything the way chains restricting movement of other parts of the body would. It seems like it is being worn in a similar manner to the way the coral or jasper bead necklaces were worn. Not sure that that really means anything though.

I believe I read something a long time ago about the lower body of a person in a particular piece of Benin art that was being analyzed being less emphasized than the upper body to emphasize power, but I do not remember the source for that now unfortunately. That may not even be an exactly accurate summary of what I read, but it was something along those lines.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tpiadotcom: 6:38am On Jul 25, 2015
^ok. thanks.

I think there is probably some meaning associated with the placement of the chains, hence the Oba's expressions depending on where they are.

In addition, when the chains are higher, it seems he's on the yacht taking him to Calabar, which would make that around 1897, when the British exiled him from Benin.

Its weird why he's looking relaxed and happy, in that case.

the pictures where the chains are on his feet, were most likely taken in Calabar (going by the chairs and backgrounds although I'm not sure all the photos are from there, but they might be). It also doesn't seem like any photos of the Oba were taken prior to the British expedition ie in Benin itself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / Atiku Campaign Office In Katsina (Pictured) / APC Governorship Primaries In 27 States (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.