Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) (67037 Views)

Aregbesola Visits Ooni Ogunwusi, Squats In His Palace. See Photos / Emir Of Ibi Gave Melaye Fish At His Palace (Photos) / $12billion Taken Out Of Nigeria During Jonathan's Regime – EFCC Boss, Lamorde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by UyiIredia(m): 12:54pm On May 24, 2013
Mudley313:

He was not killed, he was supposed to be hanged, but the british later decided to exile him to calabar“

Am I dreaming !
Mudley313:

He was not killed, he was supposed to be hanged, but the british later decided to exile him to calabar“

Am I dreaming ! shocked shocked shocked Mudley is back !
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by igbeke: 12:57pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:
It is the tradition that the sons of Oduduwa i.e the kings, gather in Ile-Ife the Oba of Benin (Ado in Yoruba language) would be in a nearby town. He must not set his eye on Ile-Ife. That is where is head is buried when he dies. It is called Orun Oba Ado (the heaven of the Oba of Ado).
did ur father tell u dis or u cooked it up?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PapaBrowne(m): 12:57pm On May 24, 2013
I have never heard the story of Obaseki's betrayal. But I will like to know more about it. I'll wait for PhysicsQed to come up and enlighten us.

Benin is the most interesting place with regards to history in Nigeria and much of Africa. There are so many intriguing stories about the Benin Kingdom. Much of it can be turned to wonderful stories.

I have a beautiful dream for Benin. Creating a renaissance of the strength of the kingdom and making it a centre for Innovation(Like it once was), Arts and Culture, Education and Research,Design, Entrtepreneurship, Social Developement and a host of other areas where the City posseses comparative advantage!!

I love my roots. It makes me proud!!

3 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow: See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

**Oba shouting OGHENE BIKO all the way**
I don laugh tire... Abeg wetin this guy do now?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 24, 2013
Someone attend to my question pls.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Rossikk(m): 1:04pm On May 24, 2013
kwangi: Are those not the supposed "star of david" I see on his hat/crown?
Who designed them?
The Binis or the British?

The Binis of course. What a question.

As for the 'star of david', it isn't surprising to see such things, as the Benin kingdom had filial links to the ancient Nile Valley and the Levant like many West and Central African kingdoms.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Mudley313: 1:05pm On May 24, 2013
Overami or Ovonramwen was the last Oba or King of the African Kingdom of Benin, also sometimes referred to as the Benin Empire (not be confused with the modern country of Benin) which occupied an area mostly within what is now Nigeria. For many years prior to Ovonramwen coming to the throne British influence in the area had been expanding and strengthening but Benin remained independent but that independence, particularly the trade monopoly the Oba held in the region, aroused the jealousy of elite colonial investors and businessmen. They were determined to bring Benin with its palm-oil, rubber and ivory wealth under British control. Ovonramwen came to the throne in 1888 as the 35th Oba of Benin and in 1892 signed a treaty with the British to abolish the slave trade in the region and making the Kingdom of Benin an autonomous protectorate of Great Britain.

However, powerful forces were arrayed against the king, particularly the Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey of the Oil Rivers Protectorate. Their goal was the full annexation of Benin to the British Empire and the overthrow of the Oba who stood in their way. In 1896 a British column led by Phillips went to meet with Oba Ovonramwen in Benin City but did not get to see the monarch who was occupied with performing important ceremonies at the time. Another expedition was launched despite warnings from the Oba not to come as their visit was timed to coincide with the celebration of the annual Igue Festival; a time of much ceremony when all outsiders were encouraged to stay away. The British were asked to postpone the visit for two months but Phillips refused and sent the king his stick; a traditional sign of insult and a deliberate provocation. As a result, when the party entered Benin territory they were ambushed and massacred with only a few managing to escape.

In February of 1897 the British launched a full-scale attack on Benin City which fell after eight days of fierce fighting. The Kingdom of Benin was totally destroyed, many inhabitants killed, the city looted and many valuable artifacts taken as trophies. The accused mastermind of the ambush and massacre of Captain Phillips and his party, Ologbohere, was put on trial and hanged. Oba Ovonramwen was to be hanged as well but after his surrender was deposed instead and exiled to Calabar with his two wives where he died in January of 1914. The king had actually had nothing to do with the massacre, knowing well enough that such an act would only provoke a war he could not hope to win, which is exactly what happened. The area of Benin was annexed and allowed for further British expansion into the interior of West Africa. However, despite the exile and death of the last reigning Oba of Benin the royal family continued on and still does today in the person of Crown Prince Solomon Akenzua who succeeded as Oba Erediauwa of the Benin people in Nigeria in 1978.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 24, 2013
The British went on a killing spree in search of Oba Ovonramwen as he went into hiding after his palace fell but he chose to surrender to stop the bloodshed.(one of the many reasons the Binis revere their kings). The accused mastermind of the ambush and massacre of Captain Phillips and his party, Ologbohere, resisted and launched a guerilla war for many months but was eventually betrayed and arrested, put on trial and hanged. The Oba was sent on a ship to Calabar with his family to begin life in exile.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 24, 2013
Rossikk:

The Binis of course. What a question.

As for the 'star of david', it isn't surprising to see such things, as the Benin kingdom had filial links to the ancient Nile Valley like many West and Central African kingdoms.
Na wa o!
It was because of the stars that I asked about the makers of the hat/crown.
Thanks anyway.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by poke(m): 1:08pm On May 24, 2013
naija polic
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Theben(m): 1:08pm On May 24, 2013
Is this topic supposed to be in politics section?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Burger01(m): 1:09pm On May 24, 2013
dipidi: He was actually arrested.See the shackles on his feet.

.. and he looked 'forlorned'

sad

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Rossikk(m): 1:12pm On May 24, 2013
Apart from the loss of life, the most painful loss to Nigeria (and Africa) in that British invasion of Benin was the destruction of Benin's glorious architecture. There were many grand storeyed buildings in Benin, built by local architects. The palace itself was extremely vast and was described as a city within a city. The racist British devils who razed that city down surely got their commeuppance in the great beyond?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Burger01(m): 1:12pm On May 24, 2013
Azone:
Please help me tell them...We are not Yoruba's even Eko belongs to us. EKALADERHAN was banished by his father and left towards the yorubas, on getin there, he become superior due to exposure he had back home. The yorubas believed in him and made him KING. After a while the benin kingdom starting experiencing some strange happenings which required them to call back their banished son but by then the son was too old to return, he then sent his own son whom was slow to speak... He came and the benin people were kind of finding a way to communicate with him...They were not sure of his name, so one faithful day as he was playing throwing things around he hit something and out of his mouth was OWOMIKA a yoruba word for 'my hand touch you'. The benin could not translate it well and called him EWEKA...

KAI!!

Na so? Interesting!!

sad
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 24, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel: Are u sure he was arrested in this picture? It looks as if the king was being followed by his guards...... Abi dem no get handcuff dos days ni?
he was arrested.saw this pic a long time ago
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 24, 2013
Azone:
Please help me tell them...We are not Yoruba's even Eko belongs to us. EKALADERHAN was banished by his father and left towards the yorubas, on getin there, he become superior due to exposure he had back home. The yorubas believed in him and made him KING. After a while the benin kingdom starting experiencing some strange happenings which required them to call back their banished son but by then the son was too old to return, he then sent his own son whom was slow to speak... He came and the benin people were kind of finding a way to communicate with him...They were not sure of his name, so one faithful day as he was playing throwing things around he hit something and out of his mouth was OWOMIKA a yoruba word for 'my hand touch you'. The benin could not translate it well and called him EWEKA...
No doubt, the Bini have a rich cultural heritage. Their influence is felt among their immediate and distant neighbours. Their expeditions among the Igbo in Onitsha, Ogwashi-Ukwu, Isselu-Ukwu, Agbor, Asaba and other towns in the Igbo speaking parts of Delta State led to the enthronement of monarchical system of government. Prior to this period, the Igbo had no kings but practised village democracy that is at best described as being accephalous. (Forget all these shouts of Igwe! in their movies). It is believed that the title of the king of Onitsha, "Obi", is a corruption of the title of the king of Benin, "Oba."

Among the Yoruba, the influence is so much in the titles of kings, dresses, names, etc. The immediate neighbour of the Bini in Yorubaland, Ifon, bears name like Ojomo (a corruption of Ozomo). In Owo, their king, Oba Victor Olagbegi wears beaded dresses on certain occasions. In Ondo Town, their king's title, "Osemewe", is Bini. In Lagos, "Eko" used to call the place is a Bini word meaning a war camp. The place was where warriors of Benin settled during a long expedition. It was not uncommon for the Oba of Benin to personal lead his people to wars but this changed when one of them died doing that.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Burger01(m): 1:17pm On May 24, 2013
THE CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING BENIN VS YORUBA ORIGIN:
REUBEN ABATI'S ANALYSIS OF SLUR AND CYNICISM

By

Hilary Odion Evbayiroh

evbayiroh@yahoo.com

The book of Omo N' Oba N' Edo,Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Erediauwa II, the Oba of Benin, has stirred an unending controversy between the Benin and Yoruba people. As a matter of fact, I have been following the ongoing discourse, in the cyber world I should add, but have been unable to participate by way of retort or rejoinder due to the time factor in human nature. One thing about the book is that the presentation of the Oba of Benin is so compelling that it has pricked some of the traditional rulers, historians, writers, and others to come to the stage to add their voices or make their views known about the subject. Among them are the Ooni of Ife, the Oba of Lagos, Dr. Dele Adeoti, Prof. Ajayi, even Ganiyu Adams, and many other others.

Reuben Abati, one of the contemporary voices in the field of journalism and penmanship in Nigeria, has also lent his voice to the group of contributors in this matter of profound historical consequences. Although Reuben Abati struggled to present himself as an impartial analyst of the subject and the ensuing polemics, it was undeniably lucid that his sardonic remarks had betrayed or given way to his pent-up resentment for the Edo or Benin people. His contribution was titled, "Ooni, Omo N'Oba, And The Politics Of Identity" and published in the Guardian of May 9, 2004.

I have read Reuben Abati's works before, and I usually relish perusing his write-ups, but this particular one was a bit different. The reason for that no one but Reuben Abati himself can tell. Maybe, I say maybe, he allowed his prejudice to gain control and assume center stage. As contentious as the matter of the origin of the Benin and Yoruba people is and considering the stature or position of the key participants in our society, one has to be a bit wary to eschew any reckless and ungratuitous remarks like the ones the Ooni of Ife and the other highly placed individuals have made. This is not a matter in which one has to lose self-control or allow jaundice to take over. This is a very serious matter.

Even though it does not have a string of economic impact attached, it does have strong historical consequences and the way we see ourselves. Just like every one of them who has responded, I think I should say reacted, save for the Oba of Lagos, Reuben Abati could not free himself from the temptation of seizing the opportunity to drivel rough "stuffs" at the Edo or Benin people. He made a very costly remark, which was intended to denigrate the Benin people and certain professions. In this particular article Reuben Abati made an unwholesome comment that was mischievously reminiscent of the spew, not too long ago, of one Mr. Oladokun, alias Omo Oba, in some of the Nigerian ethnic discussion groups on the Internet. Pretending to be downplaying Ganiyu Adams' opinion in this matter, Reuben Abati employed the opportunity to have a "swipe" at the Edo or Benin people and wrote, "I wouldn't be surprised if a group of prostitutes from Benin City also add their voice to it."

Since I read the piece, I have ruminated over what could have precipitated the occasion for Reuben Abati, a touted journalist of his caliber, to inject a remark with the sole intention to brutalize the psyche of the Edo or Benin people for no obvious reason. Hitherto, I have viewed, as do many other Nigerians including the group of prostitutes from Benin City, Reuben Abati and his work as the epitome and semblance of probity, objectivity, and forthrightness. In this particular matter, he took side, though with sly. Injecting the Benin prostitutes into his analysis of the matter did not elevate or aid his argument in anywise. Instead, it betrayed his overall intention and besmirched the impartial reputation for which he used to be known and respected. In short, Reuben Abati's throwing the prostitution matter into this one spells how we, Nigerians, no matter how highly placed and because of incurable jaundice, can and would always ethnicize issues.

This is a matter about the historical nexus between the Yoruba and Benin people. The matter has nothing to do with the Benin City prostitutes, and neither the prostitutes nor the trade they ply are part of the ongoing controversy. What was the reason for bringing the prostitutes into the picture? Why not a group of lawyers from Benin City? Why not a group of doctors from Benin City? Why not a group of engineers from Benin City? Why not a group of Professors from Benin City? Why not a group of journalists and writers from Benin City? Why not a group of nurses and teachers from Benin City? Was he trying to tell Nigerians and the world that Benin City is good for producing only prostitutes? Was he trying to insinuate that Edo or Benin women are all prostitutes?

As much as he has written on various subjects, and abundantly I should add for credit to him, one would have expected him to have a better understanding of the intricate and variegated nature of the problems involved in international prostitution as it concerns Nigerian and Edo or Benin women. He should have known that the prostitution matter is a national calamity, not an ethnic thing. The matter of contention is the historical connection between the Yoruba and the Edo or Benin people. Where is the prostitution thing coming from in the picture other than a devious and hidden design to spite and cast aspersion on the Edo or Benin people? No matter how one may try to overlook Reuben Abati's gaffe and perhaps extend a hand of forgiveness, undeservedly as it is, one thing was very clear about his overall intention for the disappointing and condemnable introduction of the Benin City prostitutes into the matter. It was very palpable, just as the reason behind his introducing prostitution into the discussion was quite scrutable, that his sole motive was to slur or defame the entire Edo or Benin people, with a pretentious analysis of the contentious historical matter. It is very unfortunate as it is sourly disappointing that this kind of abhorrent remark came from a highly placed journalist, a man whose work and take on issues most Nigerians, including the prostitutes, have come to love and respect. It is a pity.

Another careless remark in Reuben Abati's analysis of the supposed controversy is the reference to people in certain trades in which he wrote, "soon mechanics, battery chargers, and even fashion designers, with access to the media, may also tell us what they think of the historical relationship between the Yoruba and the Bini." Whether the foregoing quote was a pointed design to put down Mr. Ganiyu Adams or undermine his opinion in the matter is of no contest here. Of silly importance and revulsion was his attempt to ridicule the Edo or Benin people and undermine certain professions. Please allow me to point out, at this juncture and without any measure of rudeness, that those people in our society, to whom he thus referred and most deprecatingly, are also human beings endowed like the doctors, lawyers, Professors, or journalists with the same human qualities and abilities to reason, think, and sift out truth from bits of available information. One must be reminded too that the people in those trades he thus referred are also human beings endowed with the same right and freedom to seek and determine what is true.

This is the problem with us in the Nigerian society today. We tend to over exaggerate our self-importance and worth, with a tendency to looking down on every other person not in our profession. What is wrong with battery chargers and the rest having access to the media? Is the media supposed to be an exclusive playground for the privileged few? Should all and sundry not be afforded equal access to express their views publicly? That the people did not undertake formal education, the western kind of education, must and should not divest them of the right to contribute in a matter of historical significance if it concerns them. The fact that some people were fortunate enough to have acquired the western type of education does not confer in them the exclusive right to seek and tell what should be the truth in historical matters. After all, the ancient Egyptians who built the pyramid, a feat that continues to be the marvel of the world, did not acquire any formal or western kind of education. The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramid were ordinary people with skills, courage, and imagination, driven by resolve for survival in this planet earth. The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramid were ordinary people like the mechanics, battery chargers, and fashion designers, the people in the trades Reuben Abati tried to denigrate and dismiss offensively.

Even at that, our so-called educated elites and those who style themselves "historians" are the ones actually confusing the people. With their sophisticated western education or scholarship they are still hanging on to the idea that a man descended from the sky on chains around 1120 A.D at Ile-Ife. They are the ones encouraging the falsehood, rather than taking steps to correct the mistakes that were made in the past about the origin of the Yoruba people. I refuse to accept that the Yoruba people were not in existence until after 1120 A.D or so when Oduduwa was supposedly lowered from the sky on chains at Ile-Ife. How ridiculous can that be? In fact, to think thus is to be completely insensate.

Reuben Abati wrote, "Re-writing Jacob Eghareva, the Bini historian, the Oba had stated that the founder of the Yoruba race, Oduduwa, was a Bini Prince, Ekhaladeran, who having escaped from the hangman's axe, found his way to Ife. The simple interpretation is that the Yoruba descended from a Bini line." First, let it be clear that the Oba of Benin did not re-write Jacob Egharevba. The Oba of Benin only corrected some of the obvious flaws and deliberate omissions in Egharevba's accounts of the origin of the Benin royal family and the Edo or Benin relationship to the Yoruba people. I have read the part or session of the book that evoked the reactions (courtesy of and thanks to Vanguard's good work). There is nowhere in that session of the book in which the Oba of Benin put it, whether conspicuously or adumbratively, that the Yoruba originated or "descended from a Bini line." Looking at his wrong but "simple interpretation" of the content of that particular portion of the book that deals with Oduduwa and Ekaladeran, one may be compelled to posit that Reuben Abati fell into the pit of misunderstanding, just like those who have rushed to react, to render such an overly sprawled and suspicious interpretation.

The ongoing controversy is not about who is superior to whom or who originated from whom. The facts proffered by the Oba of Benin concerning the true identity of Oduduwa, the alleged founder of the Yoruba race, is to find the truth about our historical connection, which ought to bring us more closer together. Unfortunately, this is not the way some of our Yoruba people, led by the Ooni of Ife, are seeing the provided historical information. From what I have read in that particular portion of the book concerning the true identity of Oduduwa, there is no hint of any kind for one to conclude that the Edo or Benin people are superior to the Yoruba people or vice versa. Some of the Yoruba people, especially the educated and highly placed, are the ones saying so by mere fact of faulty deduction. The Oba of Benin only presented that Oduduwa, whom the Yoruba people claimed descended from the sky on chains, was actually a Benin fugitive prince, Ekalederan. Sans doubt, the presentation of the Oba of Benin apropos the origin of Oduduwa is too compelling to be ignored. Those arguing against it are only doing so for the sake of pride and for the preservation of the long held belief.

http://www.edo-nation.net/evbay3.htm

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by iHustle(m): 1:17pm On May 24, 2013
PurpleHouse: The Yorubas believe he is the father of the Yoruba’s and progenitor of all Yoruba Oba's and the Oba of Benin. But the fact is, he is a Benin prince called EKALADERHAN who was banished by his father, the Ogiso of Benin.
day.

_

3 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PurpleHouse(m): 1:19pm On May 24, 2013
PapaBrowne: I have never heard the story of Obaseki's betrayal. But I will like to know more about it. I'll wait for PhysicsQed to come up and enlighten us.

Benin is the most interesting place with regards to history in Nigeria and much of Africa. There are so many intriguing stories about the Benin Kingdom. Much of it can be turned to wonderful stories.

I have a beautiful dream for Benin. Creating a renaissance of the strength of the kingdom and making it a centre for Innovation(Like it once was), Arts and Culture, Education and Research,Design, Entrtepreneurship, Social Developement and a host of other areas where the City posseses comparative advantage!!

I love my roots. It makes me proud!!
Benin is indeed blessed with so much endowment!
Do you know that the Streets of Ancient City of Benin was onced compared to that of Amstardam by Some European? The lay out, the Polished Lined Walls Beautifully shined and polished by Red muddy sand?
Imagine if Benin was never invaded and burnt to ashes? A perfect destination for tourist attraction.....!
The Bini's were Warriors, but only betrayed by jealous conquered states in colaboration with the British. They were too powerful that the Brits were worried of the might of the Benin, as She fought as far as Ghana, defeated the Yorubas conquered inshort what is now known as the Entire Niger Delta.........
The British would have been defeated as well, but used informats from other states to get info, which they used to attack on a day the Benin's were not at home, and didn't prepare for war, except One Man, Asoro, a Servant to the Oba! He fought from Morning till night, alone before he was killed!

5 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 24, 2013
Everybody in Nairaland is a Historian !!!

Na Here u go hear how Igbo dey own Kano,How Yoruba dey own Igbo cuz Igbo mean ''Bush'' in Yoruba grin

@Op,
The Oba got Voodoo but Not Intelligent while the Oyinbo were Intelligent,they know what they want,where,when and how to get it !!!

The best way to get a stubborn man is to deplored his likes thus Betrayal !!!

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Ozonna(m): 1:20pm On May 24, 2013
1stCitizen:

The British went on a killing spree in search of Oba Ovonramwen as he went into hiding after his palace fell but he chose to surrender to stop the bloodshed.(one of the many reasons the Binis revere their kings). The accused mastermind of the ambush and massacre of Captain Phillips and his party, Ologbohere, resisted and launched a guerilla war for many months but was eventually betrayed and arrested, put on trial and hanged. The Oba was sent on a ship to Calabar with his family to begin life in exile.

Who betrayed Ologbossere?

Looking @ their pictures, seems like both Oba and Ologbosere were all youngmen when the kingdom fell. They both look like Men in their 30's or 40's.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by michaelfreesoul(m): 1:20pm On May 24, 2013
Sad to say but I remember a bini lecturer of mine telling my class that the British won becasue they attacked during a festive period in benin. A period in which no one was permitted to carry arms. The British got this info from the Itsekiris who betrayed the Benin people and attacked
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 24, 2013
Cruxxy:

Why are there none in his hands?
wow! see waec question

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 24, 2013
Gallant even in arrest. Oba gha to kpehe.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by miqos02(m): 1:23pm On May 24, 2013
riteprice1: Ehyaa... What a Disgrace. I thought obas of bini were untouchable, abi dia jazz no dey work again?
off topic.... I urgently Nid a fairly used laptop (no mini) with hdd 160gb and above, ram 2gb and above, for less dan 50k. Contact me with ur spec on 08125661623. Im in lagos.. (abeg make una no vex, d computer section is filled wit scammers claimin to be in badagry) thanks.
just called you, hp pavillion intel core2duo 2.2ghz, 320gb,2gb,webcam,wlan @ 50k
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by nellaluv(f): 1:23pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson: I don't think the Oba was bethrayed. He was only arrested and subsequently killed by the British for killing some British men during the Igue Festival. It is the tradition of the Bini that during this festival, the Oba must no see strangers but the British men forced their way and were killed. The British Government then retaliated, bombarded the place and made away with some bronze works which are still in the London Museum.

The gist going round is that he was betrayed by Chief Obaseki and to this day the Obasekis' are one the most influential families in Bini land.This story got many versions. Ola Rotimi did his and Ahmed Yarima did too. Same storyline but some difference which even led to rift btw the writers.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Mudley313: 1:30pm On May 24, 2013
kwangi: Na wa o!
It was because of the stars that I asked about the makers of the hat/crown.
Thanks anyway.

i don't think those are the stars of david. oba oyekan (below) wore quite similar hat; the oba of lagos had diplomatic and trade alliance with the portuguese before the advent of the british and Bini also had diplomatic and consular exchanges with the king of portugal; probably that's where that originated from

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 24, 2013
igbeke:
did ur father tell u dis or u cooked it up?
Tell me if it is wrong, then I will give you my answer.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Felixadded(m): 1:33pm On May 24, 2013
Azone:
Are you trying to tell us that YORUBAS are EDOS by origin or what?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Cruxxy(m): 1:35pm On May 24, 2013
D oba face too strong oh
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 24, 2013
Mudley313:

i don't think those are the stars of david. oba oyekan (below) wore quite similar hat; the oba of lagos had diplomatic and trade alliance with the portuguese before the advent of the british and Bini also had diplomatic and consular exchanges with the king of portugal; probably that's where that originated from

Thanks.
Still expecting other explanations...
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv:

The gist going round is that he was betrayed by Chief Obaseki and to this day the Obasekis' are one the most influential families in Bini land.This story got many versions. Ola Rotimi did his and Ahmed Yarima did too. Same storyline but some difference which even led to rift btw the writers.
Ola Rotimi, though I respect him as the feats I saw among Dramatic Arts students in my undergraduate days in OAU speak volumes of him, was not a historian but a dramatist. The same thing with his student, Ahmed Yerimah.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Atiku Campaign Office In Katsina (Pictured) / Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / APC Governorship Primaries In 27 States (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.