Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) (67036 Views)

Aregbesola Visits Ooni Ogunwusi, Squats In His Palace. See Photos / Emir Of Ibi Gave Melaye Fish At His Palace (Photos) / $12billion Taken Out Of Nigeria During Jonathan's Regime – EFCC Boss, Lamorde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Cruxxy(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow:

Look at his legs and see the shackles

Why are there none in his hands?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by oturugo(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
Oba Overanwen did not betray anyone nor was he betrayed. The Oba met a superior fire power and he surrendered. Apart from the Oba, the same superior fire power was responsible for the collapse of Aro confederacy, Ekwumekwu etc in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by frankobaba(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
Dr. Whizy:
Abeg wher d oba dey 4 d pic?? undecided undecided

print out the pic using white A4 paper...then open the Ink Cattridge door and peep through, u would see the Oba inside waving his middle finger at u... Dr Whisky..!

6 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by W3xy1(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel: Are u sure he was arrested in this picture? It looks as if the king was being followed by his guards...... Abi dem no get handcuff dos days ni?
check btw his legs
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 24, 2013
I don't think the Oba was bethrayed. He was only arrested and subsequently killed by the British for killing some British men during the Igue Festival. It is the tradition of the Bini that during this festival, the Oba must no see strangers but the British men forced their way and were killed. The British Government then retaliated, bombarded the place and made away with some bronze works which are still in the London Museum.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Koolking(m): 12:30pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow: See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

**Oba shouting OGHENE BIKO all the way**

My Goodness shocked shocked shocked shocked See as they bundle this guy like a stubborn he-goat. They don't give a damn about him. grin grin they give him serious monkey jacket
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by iHustle(m): 12:30pm On May 24, 2013
_
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PeeDaVinci: 12:32pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv: Pictures they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis. Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

it happened in the later years in the 19th century, not 18th
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PurpleHouse(m): 12:35pm On May 24, 2013
kingrhirhs: pls point of correction, Oduduwa is a Benin man exiled from Benin n u pple called him Oduduwa.
The Yorubas believe he is the father of the Yoruba’s and progenitor of all Yoruba Oba's and the Oba of Benin. But the fact is, he is a Benin prince called EKALADERHAN who was banished by his father, the Ogiso of Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by awolowojoshua: 12:35pm On May 24, 2013
Make cool cash online by clicking on this link http://DeepProfit.com/?ref=70868
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by UyiIredia(m): 12:36pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson: I don't think the Oba was bethrayed. He was only arrested and subsequently killed by the British for killing some British men during the Igue Festival. It is the tradition of the Bini that during this festival, the Oba must no see strangers but the British men forced their way and were killed. The British Government then retaliated, bombarded the place and made away with some bronze works which are still in the London Museum.

Valuable works that Edos like my Dad have been agitating for yet they won't release it.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PurpleHouse(m): 12:38pm On May 24, 2013
oturugo: Oba Overanwen did not betray anyone nor was he betrayed. The Oba met a superior fire power and he surrendered. Apart from the Oba, the same superior fire power was responsible for the collapse of Aro confederacy, Ekwumekwu etc in Igboland.
to reveal the hidding place of someone, what is that called in English? Pls remind us! He was Betrayed by his chiefs, and, in particular, The Ezomo!

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by wildchild1: 12:40pm On May 24, 2013
riteprice1: Ehyaa... What a Disgrace. I thought obas of bini were untouchable, abi dia jazz no dey work again?
off topic.... I urgently Nid a fairly used laptop (no mini) with hdd 160gb and above, ram 2gb and above, for less dan 50k. Contact me with ur spec on 08125661623. Im in lagos.. (abeg make una no vex, d computer section is filled wit scammers claimin to be in badagry) thanks.

@topic..only if most of us can relate with history,the bini culture is one that should be highly promoted

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Mudley313: 12:42pm On May 24, 2013

[img]http://2.bp..com/_gI1r1HWib7U/TTAoq8JwuZI/AAAAAAAACv4/cyBO1Hi0aLA/s1600/oba_ovonramwen-02.jpg[/img]

...with guards on his way to exile in Calabar in 1897. The gown he is wearing hides his shackles

[img]http://2.bp..com/_gI1r1HWib7U/TTAoqxHIgWI/AAAAAAAACvw/MVSglJPFfQY/s1600/oba_ovonramwen-03.jpg[/img]

...in exile in calabar

[img]http://www.cultureindevelopment.nl/image.php/823/Source/benin_looting-300x297.jpg[/img]

...british looters; members of the notorious british punitive expedition of 1897 against Benin/Oba Ovonramwen, during whose reign the British looted the Benin Bronzes

2 of the infamous "blood antiquities" looted from the obas palace; i wonder why nigeria nor dey fight to get these stolen stuffs back the way all these greedy oyinbos get their looted arts n paintings back from hitler after WWII

10 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by UyiIredia(m): 12:43pm On May 24, 2013
iHustle: Betrayal by some sons of Benin contributed to Oba Ovonramwen's capture. The British took advantage of the fact that Benin was celebrating the Igue festival. If not, the story might have been different. Kudos to our gallant soldiers such as Asoro, who fought to the last to defend Benin. Edo gha tor kpere.

Ise !
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 24, 2013
PurpleHouse: The Yorubas believe he is the father of the Yoruba’s and progenitor of all Yoruba Oba's and the Oba of Benin. But the fact is, he is a Benin prince called EKALADERHAN who was banished by his father, the Ogiso of Benin.
It is the tradition that the sons of Oduduwa i.e the kings, gather in Ile-Ife the Oba of Benin (Ado in Yoruba language) would be in a nearby town. He must not set his eye on Ile-Ife. That is where is head is buried when he dies. It is called Orun Oba Ado (the heaven of the Oba of Ado).
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Mudley313: 12:45pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson: I don't think the Oba was bethrayed. He was only arrested and subsequently killed by the British for killing some British men during the Igue Festival. It is the tradition of the Bini that during this festival, the Oba must no see strangers but the British men forced their way and were killed. The British Government then retaliated, bombarded the place and made away with some bronze works which are still in the London Museum.

He was not killed, he was supposed to be hanged, but the british later decided to exile him to calabar

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by victorD3: 12:45pm On May 24, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel: Are u sure he was arrested in this picture? It looks as if the king was being followed by his guards...... Abi dem no get handcuff dos days ni?

He's legs are on chains
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by wwwdotnscdc(m): 12:45pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv: Pictures
they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin,
Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this
was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great
debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis.
Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

This is not the 18th century, not even sure it was the 19th century. The pix was probably taken between the late 19th and earlier 20th century.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Burger01(m): 12:46pm On May 24, 2013
See naija police! Dem no get shoes those dayz? Could that be a gun?

Oh!! Palace guards.
sad

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by igbeke: 12:46pm On May 24, 2013
wild child:

@topic..only if most of us can relate with history,the bini culture is one that should be highly promoted
I stand to be corrected:
No people in Nigeria are historically as rich as d Edos

10 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by dulphines: 12:48pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow: See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

**Oba shouting OGHENE BIKO all the way**

Oghene biko ke? I beg, Oba of Bini most definitely will speak idu (bini) not Urhobo!
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 24, 2013
Mudley313:

He was not killed, he was supposed to be hanged, but the british later decided to exile him to calabar
And as he was exiled he still remains alive till today?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tonididdy(m): 12:48pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv: Pictures they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis. Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

my old benin KINGDOM...EDO nu zomoh,EDO odion

@pic see as the guy bone face...he's like WTF are we taking photos for?

Oba ar tokpeye.............................ise
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by ige101(m): 12:50pm On May 24, 2013
Olu'femi Abbey:

You shared my mind. There are lots of things we can learn from the old Benin Kingdom. The only link ¶'ve heard so far about 'em is that they're descendants from Oduduwa. More please.
you are wrong bro,they are not oduduwas descendant
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by dipidi: 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
He was actually arrested.See the shackles on his feet.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Mudley313: 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:
And as he was exiled he still remains alive till today?

..and you don't know the difference between being "killed" and dying of natural causes in exile? ode

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
Yomieluv: some Benin folks would come here and be ranting how immortal their king is.see mere mortal rubbish a whole king.
Awe Uhundan na khin..Awa li'ee

4 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by chiefkpokp(m): 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
ford van may be going to a lucky owner in Lagos today so rush now to get it before someone else get it.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by demelza: 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
Despite being captured, his poise and expression shows a man who remained defiant and proud. Those were the days when men were men.
I absolutely love the rich cultural heritage of the Binis.

11 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Azone: 12:51pm On May 24, 2013
PurpleHouse: The Yorubas believe he is the father of the Yoruba’s and progenitor of all Yoruba Oba's and the Oba of Benin. But the fact is, he is a Benin prince called EKALADERHAN who was banished by his father, the Ogiso of Benin.
Please help me tell them...We are not Yoruba's even Eko belongs to us. EKALADERHAN was banished by his father and left towards the yorubas, on getin there, he become superior due to exposure he had back home. The yorubas believed in him and made him KING. After a while the benin kingdom starting experiencing some strange happenings which required them to call back their banished son but by then the son was too old to return, he then sent his own son whom was slow to speak... He came and the benin people were kind of finding a way to communicate with him...They were not sure of his name, so one faithful day as he was playing throwing things around he hit something and out of his mouth was OWOMIKA a yoruba word for 'my hand touch you'. The benin could not translate it well and called him EWEKA...

5 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 24, 2013
[quote author=Mudley313]

[img]http://2.bp..com/_gI1r1HWib7U/TTAoq8JwuZI/AAAAAAAACv4/cyBO1Hi0aLA/s1600/oba_ovonramwen-02.jpg[/img]

...with guards on his way to exile in Calabar in 1897. The gown he is wearing hides his shackles

[img]http://2.bp..com/_gI1r1HWib7U/TTAoqxHIgWI/AAAAAAAACvw/MVSglJPFfQY/s1600/oba_ovonramwen-03.jpg[/img]

...in exile in calabar

Are those not the supposed "star of david" I see on his hat/crown?
Who designed them?
The Binis or the British?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Atiku Campaign Office In Katsina (Pictured) / Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / APC Governorship Primaries In 27 States (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.