Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? (34272 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by lastpage: 4:41pm On May 25, 2013
Billyonaire: Home? People still live abroad ? No comfortable Nigerian lives abroad.

So, EVERYONE in Nigeria is comfortable, right?

And EVERY NIGERIAN that lives abroad is POOR?

Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, lived abroad....just to mention two glaring examples!

Its not always about money (even if the money was got from corruption and sycophancy ala Govt bootlicking!), at times, such decisions are based on family/children issues.

As for me, Nigeria will always be HOME, no matter how bad things get.

I wish it was better (just give me electricity ONLY, even if it is just 18 hrs and regular!) ....other things l can cater for but how can l build my own Power Station?

Generator fumes is killing a lot of Nigerians but they dont know it, Cancer rate is astronomical but they cant figure it out
.... yet some folks think those who decide to live abroad are poor, huh?
[b]Have you ever wondered: despite all the money our "Governors and Big Politicians have stolen, when they get sick, WHERE DO THEY RUN TO?
The same Hospital we in Diaspora use!
grin grin That alone should set you thinking.

I dont want to name them but l remember our last President died in a foreign hospital, the wives of two others died in a foreign hospital, another one was "healed" in a foreign hospital, not to mention their husbands!

See what l mean by "its not all about money"?

I just hope and pray our Nigerian leaders (and their bootlickers!) would have the fear of God in them and stop SLASHING the QUALITY OF LIFE and LIFE EXPECTANCY of Nigerians, BY HALF![/b]

I come home every year! I just love my country, too much. I wish l would retire back home, when the time comes. kiss

On one of my trips home, l took two of my kids to all the "shanty areas of Lagos alone", because l want them to "appreciate what God has done for them"! They could not believe the suffering they saw!
Since them, anything they dont need anymore but is still "useable", is carefully bagged and given to charity back 'home'!
And they stopped throwing whole chicken into the bin or wasting food, just because they have it plenty!

Lastpage!

BTW, its not a "fight" between Nigerians at home and those in diaspora.
we should be complementing each other, there are ways we can be useful to one another and all this "ego, beefing and forming big man" should have no-place in our interactions!

15 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by alphaconde(m): 4:43pm On May 25, 2013
playmode: I will come back to Nigeria permanently when we have numerous hospitals like these ones in South Africa:

South Africa is also building a brand new hospital right now which will be ready in 2014,it will cost billions of rands and will be the most technologically advanced Hospital on the African continent. It is being fitted with the most technologically advanced medical instruments in the world.Below is a diagram of what it will look like.

How come u r in need of good hospitals, are you always sick?

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 4:46pm On May 25, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Ma Nig...I dont even live in the U.K....and i use negro all the time...instead of trying to show off the little..to nothing that Nigeria has....it would be best for Nigerians to be humble and seek for advice from developed countries and Diasporas telling them to stay away...wont help Nigeria's situation..chalay....but i have to be honest with you...[b]i dont see Nigeria ever becoming a country fit for 21 century...[/b]Nigerians are just toooo damn corrupted and inefficient...but I guess this kinda situation is good for some people...not me
not your generation but my generation must enjoy good education good healthcare good security and good infrastructure in nigeria.my fathers generation was a failed and ignorant generation,who had several wife´s and children with out means of livelihood,what do you inspect??we most change our slave and neocolonial mentality,for me im going back home in 4years time,after 21years in europe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 4:48pm On May 25, 2013
ebamma: Some naija based guys too mumu, so now any nigerian based in abroad is either a cleaner or a mortuary attendant, #too many mad peeps here

Imagine their mentality, bro. Indians, Chinese, and Nigerians are the most educated and professional immigrants in the U.S. If Nigeria was that great, why do Nigerians go to U.S, U.K, and Canadian Embassies everyday seeking immigrant visas? Why would anyone turn down the chance to have access to good education, electricity, healthcare, security, and healthy environment? That is what the western countries offer immigrants who are educated and ready to contribute to the society and not become a burden to the system.

My friend has been coming here since 2011 on holidays. This is a friend who is an Engineer at Total. He told me he earns in the region of 4 million naira per year, but I don't know if true or not. Each time he get here he asks why Nigeria got it so wrong. He is been asking me how I can help him have his children stay with me in the U.S to have access to good education and good life. This friend already built his own house at Magodo.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by princeonx: 4:51pm On May 25, 2013
Billyonaire: Home? People still live abroad ? No comfortable Nigerian lives abroad.
You were busy looking for someone to prove you wrong why not spend that time looking up the meaning of comfort or comfortable? Your own defi of it might be different to a whole lot of guys abroad. To some comfort is simply having constant electricity, clean water supply, hospital, good roads and traveling any day any time, etc

It's baffles me how some of you back in Nigeria expect someone that's use to a working system to just wake up and come back to Nigeria while some/most of you there live in Lagos, Abuja, PH, and had never visited your own village in years! Why? Because you might be uncomfortable there!

9 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 4:54pm On May 25, 2013
akonucheinfo:

You mean you are not coming home, till thy kingdom come!

Does that mean Nigeria will remain the way it is forever? All we need to do is just get rid of corrupt leaders and everything will be fine.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 4:55pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

Imagine their mentality, bro. Indians, Chinese, and Nigerians are the most educated and professional immigrants in the U.S. If Nigeria was that great, why do Nigerians go to U.S, U.K, and Canadian Embassies everyday seeking immigrant visas? Why would anyone turn down the chance to have access to good education, electricity, healthcare, security, and healthy environment? That is what the western countries offer immigrants who are educated and ready to contribute to the society and not become a burden to the system.

My friend has been coming here since 2011 on holidays. This is a friend who is an Engineer at Total. He told me he earns in the region of 4 million naira per year, but I don't know if true or not. Each time he get here he asks why Nigeria got it so wrong. He is been asking me how I can help him have his children stay with me in the U.S to have access to good education and good life. This friend already built his own house at Magodo.
that is because your friend don´t have enough money. if not, somebody how earns 4million naira in nigeria of today can take goodcare of his family in nigeria.but 4million naira for family of tree children in us is too small for their up bringing

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

I am married here with two kids. I do want to come home. As a matter of fact, I have a house going on and more than 70% complete but I am not ready to complete it unless situation improves in Nigeria. I do want to be coming home with my kids every Christmas but I don't want to come there and have to sleep with one eye open.
if u dey sleep with one eyez open then use one hand close am nah

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by coogar: 4:58pm On May 25, 2013
prince_onx:
You were busy looking for someone to prove you wrong why not spend that time looking up the meaning of comfort or comfortable? Your own defi of it might be different to a whole lot of guys abroad. To some comfort is simply having constant electricity, clean water supply, hospital, good roads and traveling any day any time, etc

It's baffles me how some of you back in Nigeria expect someone that's use to a working system to just wake up and come back to Nigeria while some/most of you there live in Lagos, Abuja, PH, and had never visited your own village in years! Why? Because you might be uncomfortable there!

i can't be bothered with billyonaire....
he's a fantasist with a bruised self-confidence. he's a dangote truck driver that loves to talk a good game. he lives on N40,000 a month. he's the nigerian walter mitty

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 4:59pm On May 25, 2013
prince_onx:
Naija is not a place where you stay away from for too long only expecting to visit when things change! That change might never happen! I now see naija as a place where you're less of a target if they see you more often. I came here same year as you (01) but have lost count of my visits to naija. I recalled going home one time with less than $2k for just two weeks. Once you have a house and mobility the rest is small gist. Also you need to build or establish some kind of relationship with folks back home and I don't mean just your blood brothers, sisters, and parent. Am talking about those extended families, school mates, and co. I am very much aware that this relationship might cost you money both for phone calls or buy me this buy me that but it worth it. Always bear in mind that no one will travel from Sokoto or Kano to come and kidnap you in Ibadan or Ogun state! Both the planing and acting comes from within and it won't happen if you have some kind of ties with this folks but if na wave you dey wave them when you drive by especially when you see them in group or one beer joint, that's where the plan and all that begin! One one bottle each might have prevented that! I've been doing it for years and I had never blinked for once when it comes to going home. I was in naija this past March till April 20 with my whole family and we were all over!

It is not easy the way you are looking at it. I have two very young kids between the ages of 4 and 5. Their mother is not a Nigerian and she knows everything about kidnapping and Boko Haram. I have NTA Plus here and she sees everything. So, how do I tell her about visiting Nigeria when she knows about situation in Nigeria? I am building a house in Nigeria and she knows nothing about it.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by playmode(m): 5:00pm On May 25, 2013
alpha conde:

How come u r in need of good hospitals, are you always sick?

Which kind mumu question be this grin Chai naija people don forget their sense inside their yansh. You dey ask me why i need good hospitals? Are you for real? When you sick make you no go hospital ,instead go to Babalawo make we see whether you go survive. grin bloody mugu

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by rockbase360: 5:01pm On May 25, 2013
Been living abroad for more than 20 years. Where is nigeria again?

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 5:01pm On May 25, 2013
30DB4FA6: if u dey sleep with one eyez open then use one hand close am nah

LOL!!!
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Ninilowo(m): 5:02pm On May 25, 2013
Cotonou too na diaspora abi? ................... I dey come hold on ..............
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 25, 2013
30DB4FA6: if u dey sleep with one eyez open then use one hand close am nah

grin grin
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by b03liberty(m): 5:02pm On May 25, 2013
lastpage:

Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, lived abroad....just to mention two glaring examples!

Its not always about money (even if the money was got from corruption and sycophancy ala Govt bootlicking!), at times, such decisions are based on family/children issues.

I wish it was better (just give me electricity ONLY, even if it is just 18 hrs and regular!) ....other things l can cater for but how can l build my own Power Station?

Generator fumes is killing a lot of Nigerians but they dont know it, Cancer rate is astronomical but they cant figure it out
[b]Have you ever wondered: despite all the money our "Governors and Big Politicians have stolen, when they get sick, WHERE DO THEY RUN TO?

I dont want to name them but l remember our last President died in a foreign hospital, the wives of two others died in a foreign hospital, another one was "healed" in a foreign hospital, not to mention their husbands!

I just hope and pray our Nigerian leaders (and their bootlickers!) would have the fear of God in them and stop SLASHING the QUALITY OF LIFE and LIFE EXPECTANCY of Nigerians, BY HALF![/b]

I come home every year! I just love my country, too much. I wish l would retire back home, when the time comes. kiss

On one of my trips home, l took two of my kids to all the "shanty areas of Lagos alone", because l want them to "appreciate what God has done for them"! They could not believe the suffering they saw!
Since them, anything they dont need anymore but is still "useable", is carefully bagged and given to charity back 'home'!
And they stopped throwing whole chicken into the bin or wasting food, just because they have it plenty!

Lastpage!

we should be complementing each other, there are ways we can be useful to one another and all this "ego, beefing and forming big man" should have no-place in our interactions!
best post so far...Reasonin like an accountant!

6 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 5:03pm On May 25, 2013
prince_onx:

thats not enough reason to mortgage your hold live abroad,although you make some sense.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by playmode(m): 5:04pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

It is not easy the way you are looking at it. I have two very young kids between the ages of 4 and 5. Their mother is not a Nigerian and she knows everything about kidnapping and Boko Haram. I have NTA Plus here and she sees everything. So, how do I tell her about visiting Nigeria when she knows about situation in Nigeria? I am building a house in Nigeria and she knows nothing about it.

My brother don't bother explaining yourself to these anamus! They think they are enjoying in Nigeria.It is people like them who will be posing and snapping pictures with flowers when they reach abroad grin Let them be in their ignorance.Level pass level na,no be beans.They are virgins when it comes to the good life.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Amya(f): 5:06pm On May 25, 2013
If everyone were to run away from Nigeria because of that basic amenity enjoyed by the west which we lack, there would be no Nigeria.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. . . The fact you thumb your nose at Nigeria from the outside doesn't make you a less or more Nigerian than I am. Most people in my social circle travel to any country of their choice every other week, but no one chooses to stay permanently but always return to base. Shebi we've tasted the good life, why ain't we hooked.

I can't help it. I love Nigeria so much I'm always home sick when I'm away from here for even a week.

5 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 5:08pm On May 25, 2013
playmode:

Dont mind that Ngbeke call billionaira.Na apuroka boy wey dey form rich person.The boy broke pass monkey,na one of the mugus wey dey support Jonathan for NL.Help me ask am who dey suffer:

A ) The person wey no get electricity for 1 week ,wey dey breathe generator fumes, wey generator noise don block im ears and wey no get access to better medical care.

or

B) The person wey get 24 hrs electricy ,breathing unpolluted FRESH AIR,emergency services at im beck & call,world class medical care at im finger tips.

My brother khaki no be leather,Southy level pass Naija level a billion times.No need to dey lie to ourselves.Go south African embassy for lagos go see queue no be for mouth.

Nigeria good na him boys dey pay close to N1 million just to get Visa to get out ?

So what's your point.? Everybody should cut out...!?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 5:08pm On May 25, 2013
playmode:

My brother don't bother explaining yourself to these anamus! They think they are enjoying in Nigeria.It is people like them who will be posing and snapping pictures with flowers when they reach abroad grin Let them be in their ignorance.Level pass level na,no be beans.They are virgins when it comes to the good life.

They would have loved to live in western countries themselves but they have no opportunity to do that, so they are andgry and jealous with Nigerians abroad. Some of these nuts have been denied visas in the past. Jealosy is killing them so badly. Suffering and Smiling!

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by playmode(m): 5:10pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

My brother i just noticed that deleted the pictures in my post.As with everything in Nigeria,nairaland is now corrupt.The owner of nairaland has joined the Jonathan gang hence why they are trying to silence us.Please go and join the only un biased Nigerian forum where you can express yourself without censorship

[size=30pt]www.9jatalks.com[/size]
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 25, 2013
Whenever the use of deodorant is enforced by the government..

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 25, 2013
Truth be told, I miss naija.
I miss suya, nkwobi, amala, ewedu soup, egusi soup and yam porridge.

I miss my dad and mum, my sisters and brother.

I miss the opportunity to talk and laugh loud without anyone staring at you. I miss speaking pidgin English with friends.

I miss not being always not thinking about taxes and bills. I miss haggling and pricing of goods in the market.

Please GEJ arrange naija well so that my daughter snd her coming siblings would know what true freedom is.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 5:13pm On May 25, 2013
dukenestor:
Lolz... But guy believe it or nt u d lost,cos ur gf d shine congo 4 hia wella.Guy 9ja boiz no d carry last o. Out of hia make i go check weda d gal my home boy d tidy nw na ur babe. No noise,removing my shoes,tip toein,lukin thru d window,hands ova my mouth,...i i i talk am odinaka cum c person wey u say kongi go kill

YEPARIPA...!! You wan finish my guy be that...lmao!!
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 5:13pm On May 25, 2013
playmode:

My brother i just noticed that deleted the pictures in my post.As it everythinh in Nigeria,nairaland is now corrupt.The owner of nairaland has joined the Jonathan gang hence why they are trying to silence us.Please go and join the only un biased Nigerian forum where you can express yourself without censorship

[size=30pt]www.9jatalks.com[/size]

I have said it many times that PDP has infiltrated nairaland. If not, why your pictures was deleted? I know sexkill or Afam did it. If you argue with any PDP agents on nairaland, you get banned!

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by princeonx: 5:15pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

I won't visit if I were her too! Why? Why will I visit Nigeria while my Nigerian husband himself is scared to visit. Bros, you need to get rid of that your NTA Chanel abeg! Even my sibling in Naija prefer western Chanel and program to naija NTA thing. You need to visit yourself and see things life not on TV! What I saw on TV about America was/is different from reality when I got here! After visiting like twice and back with some positive news, then she might allow the kids to visit with you! And it's also not cheap and easy going with the whole family so you go first and take it from there!
I also hope your project is not for personal use cux with this mind set you need something commercial for now so that you can rent them out for income.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by automaticcarzz: 5:18pm On May 25, 2013
prince_onx:
I won't visit if I were her too! Why? Why will I visit Nigeria while my Nigerian husband himself is scared to visit. Bros, you need to get rid of that your NTA Chanel abeg! Even my sibling in Naija prefer western Chanel and program to naija NTA thing. You need to visit yourself and see things life not on TV! What I saw on TV about America was/is different from reality when I got here! After visiting like twice and back with some positive news, then she might allow the kids to visit with you! And it's also not cheap and easy going with the whole family so you go first and take it from there!
I also hope your project is not for personal use cux with this mind set you need something commercial for now so that you can rent them out for income.

She won't be letting the kids go there. I am going to Nigeria in December anyway but I need either a Nigerian passport or visa. 2005 is a long time.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 5:18pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

just continue with the building of your house,but please don´t build anything in the village
a word is enough for the wise
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by lastpage: 5:18pm On May 25, 2013
prince_onx:
Naija is not a place where you stay away from for too long only expecting to visit when things change! That change might never happen! I now see naija as a place where you're less of a target if they see you more often. I came here same year as you (01) but have lost count of my visits to naija. I recalled going home one time with less than $2k for just two weeks. Once you have a house and mobility the rest is small gist. Also you need to build or establish some kind of relationship with folks back home and I don't mean just your blood brothers, sisters, and parent. Am talking about those extended families, school mates, and co. I am very much aware that this relationship might cost you money both for phone calls or buy me this buy me that but it worth it. Always bear in mind that no one will travel from Sokoto or Kano to come and kidnap you in Ibadan or Ogun state! Both the planing and acting comes from within and it won't happen if you have some kind of ties with this folks but if na wave you dey wave them when you drive by especially when you see them in group or one beer joint, that's where the plan and all that begin! One one bottle each might have prevented that! I've been doing it for years and I had never blinked for once when it comes to going home. I was in naija this past March till April 20 with my whole family and we were all over!

This is "Wisdom", l identify with it.
I still visit the area l grew-up as a kid (we have a family house there and my 'portion' still dey there grin ).
I still "blend" with the guys we grew-up together, some of them are doing well, some are plain gangsters and 'drugist' but l mingle with them like we are still 15years of age! I respect them, they respect me.

It paid-off one day, when some "newbie crook" in the area hatched a plan with his goons, to come and rob my family.
"The Boyz" simply told him to forget the idea, they told him 'The bobo na "part" of us'! wink wink

I was informed and they brought him to me eventually, to come and 'apologize' for even thinking about it (and as 'Alaye Boyz' now, you got to part with some cool cash! ..to liven-up the atmosphere wink ).
I even misplaced my phone in my area, ... they saw it and brought it back to me (l "bailed it" back, even though Police says "bail" is free!) grin grin

I feel more secure in my childhood 'hood', than anywhere else in the world.
I know them, they know me, inside out.
I dont form big-man with them, l come down to their level.
I still play footie with them and occasionally, l just buy footie-boots + balls and distribute to my homeboyz.
Those sitting in "Lion-base" get their indian-hemp paid for,...on the house! shocked shocked
I dont drink at all but l breeze-into their beer parlour and buy drinks, stay with them for like 45mins (we argue over nothing sensible) ...and l am off.

Breeds comradeship and they would do anything for me. I dont keep excessive late-nights but if l have to drive around at 3am, OPC/Vigilantee know my Vehicle and its all "Bruus, stop going around at this time, welcome back, anything for your Boyz"? grin grin
I hope fellow JJC's will take a cue.

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by playmode(m): 5:21pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

I have said it many times that PDP has infiltrated nairaland. If not, why your pictures was deleted? I know sexkill or Afam did it. If you argue with any PDP agents on nairaland, you get banned!

Don't worry ,9jatalks is brand new forum and it is more sophisticated than this one.The owner is also in diaspora and the website is hosted and managed offshore so the enemies of progress will never be able infiltrate it.Spread the word to your friends.It is the best place to discuss Nigerian issues without any fear.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 5:25pm On May 25, 2013
lastpage:

Lastpage!

So you had to take them to shanty towns in naija to see suffer abi..? This is ridiculous.. So suffer no dey that abroad..? Abi the things you give to charity are for people that don't need them...the fact that you had to show them suffer head in naija is absurd..suffe head no dey your backyard for yourda..?!! SMBA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Nigerian Airforce Helicopter Crash Lands In Enugu State / FG Buys Calibration Aircraft Worth ₦3.1 Billion / Traffic Diversion As President Emmanuel Macron Visits Afrika Shrine, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.