Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight (36515 Views)

Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) / First International Flight Lands At Enugu Airport Amidst Jubilation / First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by binoe: 12:23pm On Aug 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Post a picture of the 'visa' to Hyderabad also. undecided

Besides, I thought you said you couldn't find a flight to Hyderabad. Why are you brandishing a boarding card that says HYD?

Oga I think its wrong for u to call him a liar,
My India visa states clearly entry airport - Chennai .
Is Chennai a country?
I had also been wondering if I could enter through another airport as my itinerary changed abit hence thought to change the airline I initially planned to fly.

Imagine how much relief finding his post was to me, forgeting the stress and possibly cash such a change would have cost me.

I think you should apologise sha
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by AjanleKoko: 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2013
binoe:

Oga I think its wrong for u to call him a liar,
My India visa states clearly entry airport - Chennai .
Is Chennai a country?
I had also been wondering if I could enter through another airport as my itinerary changed abit hence thought to change the airline I initially planned to fly.

Imagine how much relief finding his post was to me, forgeting the stress and possibly cash such a change would have cost me.

I think you should apologise sha

Apologise for what?
He should have answered the question na. I would have posted an Indian visa (business visa) that doesn't have a point of entry indicated. What kind of visas do you guys have?
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Itydee(m): 6:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
I wan go India this month any help on how to get the visa?
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by sKeetz(m): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2013
Abeg make una no cum oo, the heat here can boil water embarassed
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by flynbird(f): 9:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
Would I be allowed to take in toiletries? I got Body lotion, roll-on, body spray, Bathing soap, tooth paste etc. Would those be allowed?
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by ladykee: 10:05am On Aug 09, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
GooseBaba:

I tell you say me na regular... They do serve naija cuisine with pieces of goat meat..I dey wait the day dem go serve yellow garri or amala with okra soup...and their regular pieces of meat... And all the old hostess sabi naija well well... So we dey flow correct..

Me: Aunty the food no plenty na!
Hostess: guy cool down, this no be your papa house.
Me: but I am from delta state
Hostess: this is a plane, that one wey you talk na your village.
Me: but am a paying customer
Hostess: oya take your wahala too much.
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by braveheart2012(m): 2:00am On Aug 11, 2013
I travel quite a bit for work/leisure and the most important advise I can give for frequent travelers is:

1) If you would like to sleep through a long-haul flight, buy some over-the-counter sleep aids with diphenhyramine HCL. This is particularly helpful for long-haul flights. I have used this for flights from NY to China, London to South Africa, NY to Australia etc. You'll have the soundest sleep ever and wake up refreshed.

2) Dress in layers because you can't always predict what kind of temperature/weather you'll encounter while travelling. I typically wear a t-shirt as a base layer, a regular shirt on top of that and a sports jacket as the final outer layer (if I am travelling to a cold place in the winter, i'll add a winter jacket). Leave enough room in your hand luggage to stow away clothing you don't need. Also, always keep a small umbrella in your hand luggage. I learned to always carry an umbrella after realizing that I was spending close to $100 bucks a year on umbrellas I always lose.

3) If you're flying economy and plan to sleep through the flight, choose the window seat or your sleep will be interrupted many times by a neighbor with a leaky bladder.

4) Make sure you leave all liquids and toiletries in your checked luggage. I learned this lesson the hard way when I had to throw an expensive, brand-new perfume in the trashcan. It was a painful experience and I never made the same mistake again.

5) Make sure your hand luggage is either very light or has wheels. Nothing is more unpleasant than lugging around heavy hand luggage for miles after a long flight. Some international airports are MASSIVE (e.g. Heathrow, Schipol, JFK, Hartfield-Jackson etc) and a heavy hand-luggage will make your life miserable especially if you have to catch another flight in a different terminal.

6) Don't get carried away by duty-free shopping. First, you don't save that much money, especially if you live in the US (you might save ~17% if you live in the UK or more in other high duty countries like India). Second, if you have a connecting local flight, you'll have to find space in your checked luggage for your duty-free liquor. I have had a few duty-free mishaps and you should learn from my experience. Three years ago, I saw a Prada perfume at a steep discount in Heathrow T5 duty-free. I bought it only to realize it was fake. Of course, I couldn't return it because I was already in the US before I realized it. Another time, I bought about 150 pounds worth of chocolates to go share at home for Xmas. Guess what? I forgot it in the BA lounge and there is no lost-but-found for perishable goods. Just a few months ago, I bought expensive liquor (Hennessy XO and JW blue) as gifts for my bosses. I had to put it in my checked luggage for a connecting local US flight. Both bottles broke and ruined my clothes and shoes. I was depressed the entire week.

6) If you have a Nigerian pali like I do, expect all sorts of humiliation and embarrassment, especially from Asians. You will always be the one to be random searched. Your checked luggage will always be ransacked (and your padlocks will always be broken by TSA). Airline employees will always double and triple check your boarding pass just to make sure. I fly business class on work-related trips and some of these airline workers are always skeptical when a black man shows up for priority boarding. Others will delay you to go get their supervisors to verify your visa/passport as if they expect all Nigerians to have fake travel documents. I used to get really offended and mouth-off with my American accent but now I just smile and bear it like Jesus. I can't let another person's ignorance ruin my mood for the day.

7) Always carry enough cash for your trip. My debit/credit card has messed me up a few times and it wasn't funny at all. The first time, an ATM machine in London ate my debit card. Another time, my card company wouldn't approve my transactions for security reasons and I wasn't roaming my phone so I couldn't call them right away to clear-up the situation. Thank God I was bailed out by loans from family and work colleagues. Now I know to always carry enough cash on international trips.

I have many more tips and travel stories to share but this post is already way too long.

9 Likes

Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 11, 2013
^^^^ Nice. Very nice.
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Mustay(m): 11:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
braveheart2012: I can't let another person's ignorance ruin my mood for the day.
Touché.Share more. Nice read
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Adonis4u: 4:58am On Aug 24, 2013
Hello House, I would be travelling to Sweden next week for my masters programme and I've booked a flight with Emirates. My flight itinerary stated that: There would be a stop over at Dubai and Copenhagen in Denmark. Now, the question is: Do I need a transit visas for the stop over? Also, what should I expect at my departure airport(Muritala)? Please, any advice would be appreciated by me as I am a first time traveller. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by tdayof(m): 2:39pm On Jan 12, 2015
tellwisdom:
Oh! Op, So you don begin enter plane now?... The lord is good cool
grin grin
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by nannymcphee(f): 7:54am On Jan 13, 2015
during take off or landing, If you are experiencing pains in your ear, kindly do ANY of the following

1.pinch your nose(block ur nostrils) & blow out breath with ur mouth closed:this is known as Valsalva maneuver
2. chew gum
3. Swallow your saliva repeatedly

If you are with a child or toddler, give them gum to chew or a sucker to suck.

When my plane was descending, my ears almost popped out, I didn't know any of the above then, I firmly closed my ears all to no avail
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by tdayof(m): 11:34am On Jan 14, 2015
godjohnson:
Guy,how many bottles of Alomo you take before you comment? because e be lyk say your head no correct
grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
Idowuogbo:
Kaikai, kolanut, cocaine sweets and weed cake.

I wanted to bone...
But....dead
cheesy
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 14, 2015

You haven't been on Delta then. That one na molue, with their old air hostesses and yeye food.

Hi...is anything wrong with old air hostesses?
Kinda unfair post

Those "old bats" have to eat
We should be glad they were not thrown away for "young blood"
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by omonnakoda: 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2015
Wole Soyinka claims in his book that he once took a whole frozen etu (antelope) in his suitcase to Rome and even hen the Italian official stopped him did not search him. He gives credit to his patron deity Ogun. He later had a feast with his theatre crew who were already in Italy rehearsing.
That is what I call guts
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Kentrasso(f): 4:26am On Jan 18, 2015
Hi. I'm going for studies in south africa and my accommodation is self catering. I plan to take as much amenities as possible so that I don't start buying things when I get there. Can I go with cookwares? Like non-stick pots and other utensils that are not metal? How about foodstuff? Is it allowed?
Re: Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight by Alubosa: 4:52am On Jan 19, 2015
braveheart2012:
I travel quite a bit for work/leisure and the most important advise I can give for frequent travelers is:

1) If you would like to sleep through a long-haul flight, buy some over-the-counter sleep aids with diphenhyramine HCL. .......

Spot on.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Danfo Accident Kills Heavily Pregnant Woman, Fish Seller In Lagos.Graphic Photos / Vehicles On Fire At Ogeere, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway! Fire Fighters In Action / Lagosians Groan As Massive Traffic Jams Bring The City To A Halt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.