Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

What Is Marriage Based On ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Marriage Based On ? (1323 Views)

Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? / Ladies STOP Selecting Men, Based On Where They Work. / Based On Different Religions, Is Marriage A Must? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Marriage Based On ? by jenivie(f): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2013
Marriage is a beautiful institution that can either make you a better person or mar you for life.With the advent of many broken marriages these days, I wonder on what basis people get married.Is it for love, companionship, comfort or for procreation?
From d scriptures, Gen 2:18
"And the Lord God said,it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help mate"

I think companionship should be the first basis of marriage.What do you think?
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Ultimux: 12:34pm On Jun 09, 2013
All the reasons listed above can be gotten without marriage. Infact if these are the only reasons many people won't get married because you can be single and yet have all. I think the main reason people want to be married today is because of religious and societal expectations.
That is why a lady that is 27yrs and above becomes desperate to settle for whoever is available and not the desirable.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 09, 2013
Everyone has his or her own definition of what marriage is based on.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2013
Based on anything the partners want it to be.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by adudu208(m): 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by HotKween: 7:12am On Jun 10, 2013
Hmm
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Mynd44: 9:48am On Jun 10, 2013
It is a personall thing
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Princesszoe: 10:02am On Jun 10, 2013
@ op let me help you out with the biblical reasons why people are meant to marry. Aside companionship, comes procreation Genesis 1 verses 28 "And God blessed them, and said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish .....". The third biblical reason why people should get marry, is for pairing and faithfulness/fidelity , 1st corinthians 7 verses 2 "........it is good for a man not to touch a woman, nevertheless , to avoid sexuall immorality, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband". So the three reasons why heaven endorsed marriage are for: companionship, procreation, and faithfulness. Unfortunately, many marriages lack either one or two or even all of these reasons. This is one of the reasons why marriages fail and may still be reasons why some marriages will fail.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by gloaded(m): 11:03am On Jun 10, 2013
Marriages nowadays are based on lies and complete self denial.
Many men and ladies are chronic cheats yet expect to marry a saint. Most people don't make efforts to be the best they can in a relationship yet expect the best from their spouse after marriage.
The last poster just listed the religious angle and I will want to add to what she said.
Marriage should be about commitment to do right to one man. Most people assume only when they are married they can stop cheating. The truth is that if you cheat now it will only take sometime but you will cheat again for same stupid reasons you are cheating now.
People that often cheat in relationships have d tendency to do same when they get married.. It's logic, u can't perform magic.
So ladies and men should learn to be absolutely faithful to their partners in relationships and don't assume love and emotions are like a switch. You put it on when you are happy and put it off when you are sad.
In a marriage/relationship you accept the good, the bad and the ugly.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Sanboy25: 11:18am On Jun 10, 2013
Trust. smiley
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Mynd44: 11:19am On Jun 10, 2013
Someone will soon come and say sex and children
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Sanboy25: 11:22am On Jun 10, 2013
Mynd_44: Someone will soon come and say sex and children
Well, you are this 'someone'...
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Mynd44: 11:42am On Jun 10, 2013
Sanboy25:
Well, you are this 'someone'...
It is always a someone thing na
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by LoveAmaka: 4:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
It is really sad to hear folks reduce marriage to procreation. If can remember when you were little watching your mom and dad stare into each other's eyes with love and affection. Marry for pure LOVE!!! That is the only thing that will get your through the rough times that all marriages encounter. You need to marry your best friend, the person who you cannot stand to be without for a few minutes. I just called my best friend (a.k.a my man, my husband) a few minutes ago to tell him that I was thinking about it. We've been married for 8 years and have 3 beautiful children. I only mention my family to really send a message that you can have all those superficial things later on, but the basis of your marriage should be nothing less than LOVE! Do not settle for anything less than LOVE!!

www.loveamaka.com

1 Like

Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by Ultimux: 8:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
LoveAmaka: It is really sad to hear folks reduce marriage to procreation. If can remember when you were little watching your mom and dad stare into each other's eyes with love and affection. Marry for pure LOVE!!! That is the only thing that will get your through the rough times that all marriages encounter. You need to marry your best friend, the person who you cannot stand to be without for a few minutes. I just called my best friend (a.k.a my man, my husband) a few minutes ago to tell him that I was thinking about it. We've been married for 8 years and have 3 beautiful children. I only mention my family to really send a message that you can have all those superficial things later on, but the basis of your marriage should be nothing less than LOVE! Do not settle for anything less than LOVE!!

www.loveamaka.com
All you have said is theory but in practical term things are different. Your assertion about mom and dad looking at each other's eye with love and affection is purely based on a flawed assumption. How do you explain majority of this same dad that have more than one wife or that keep mistresses everywhere.
Marrying for love is a good thing no doubt but when you take away the comfort, the companionship and the procreation aspect you may find it difficult to sustain that love.
Majority of marriages today are first based on love...especially for the men. A man won't ordinarily want to marry a woman he doesn't love but with the passage of time people tend to have a different perspective of what the definition of love is.
You are lucky to have kids already hence your sermon. Go and ask some couples facing infertility challenge and you will be baffled by the tale of how the woman or man or both have become a shadow of themselves.
Love goes out the window when challenges start coming in. Life is not always fair. Unless a couple decides to shut the opinion of outsiders out of their lives they may have to review the definition of love every time they have challenges.
Secondly, yes marrying a best friend is the best option because he knows your story and can support you in times when you really need them.
As long as we live in a society where people have expectations and parents/families already have an idea how we should live our lives even before we turn 18, our decision on who and why to marry sometimes will be coloured by other people's wishes.
Finally, i will marry for love, companionship, procreation(cos my madam loves babies so so much) and to do right by her.
Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by LoveAmaka: 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ultimux:
All you have said is theory but in practical term things are different. Your assertion about mom and dad looking at each other's eye with love and affection is purely based on a flawed assumption. How do you explain majority of this same dad that have more than one wife or that keep mistresses everywhere.
Marrying for love is a good thing no doubt but when you take away the comfort, the companionship and the procreation aspect you may find it difficult to sustain that love.
Majority of marriages today are first based on love...especially for the men. A man won't ordinarily want to marry a woman he doesn't love but with the passage of time people tend to have a different perspective of what the definition of love is.
You are lucky to have kids already hence your sermon. Go and ask some couples facing infertility challenge and you will be baffled by the tale of how the woman or man or both have become a shadow of themselves.
Love goes out the window when challenges start coming in. Life is not always fair. Unless a couple decides to shut the opinion of outsiders out of their lives they may have to review the definition of love every time they have challenges.
Secondly, yes marrying a best friend is the best option because he knows your story and can support you in times when you really need them.
As long as we live in a society where people have expectations and parents/families already have an idea how we should live our lives even before we turn 18, our decision on who and why to marry sometimes will be coloured by other people's wishes.
Finally, i will marry for love, companionship, procreation(cos my madam loves babies so so much) and to do right by her.

My comment about parents staring into each other's eyes is not as an uncommon as you may think. Parents show each other affection in different ways; the sentiment behind what I was saying is love can withstand the test of time and drama if the two people involved will focus on that. I am quite aware of families mingle and inciting issues in marriages, that happens when the wife or the husband opens their mouth to tell them in the first place. Your family can never give you an unbiased answer so why go to them for help in the first place. The same people giving advice do not live in a happy marriage in the first place. Yes, I agree with you life isn't fair, there are families who are struggling to have children and other issues, I firmly believe that if you really understand the meaning of unconditional love, the couple will survive and be respected for it.

I disagree with the idea that you have to marry who your parents wants you to marry. Perhaps, I've been living in the states too long so I will withhold my stance on that. All, I can say is if you marry for anything other than love, be prepared to suffer because all marriages will be tested. If you are hoping that kids will make your marriage stronger you are sadly mistaken. Kids will test your marriage, they will push you to your breaking point, you will loved them to death don't get me wrong, but ask any parent with children. If your marriage is weak with no solid foundation, throwing kids into the mix will only push the couple apart.

My advice: marry for love, have kids (if God says so), enjoy the companionship of your best friend. Keep noisy family and friends out of your business (whether is good or bad). Don't complain to about your spouse to anyone. Go to your spouse and talk to him/her yourself. If you can both agree to keep things to between you, you will live happily ever after.

wink

1 Like

Re: What Is Marriage Based On ? by nwagbochi: 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
marriage is supposed to be based on love first and understanding this is the main thing to put into consideration.always put your self under the shoe of the other person when you do that you will know what your role is in the marriage.As for procreation is also another thing to base the marriage on.money is not everything ladies a man you ignore today might be the president of the country tommorrow.so if your own marriage is based on the fairytale of he must be LOADED as some rightly say that means you are not yet ready for marriage to work for you.pls dear friends during the courtship let everything be exoposed, so you can know if you can put up with your partners character do not do he or she is rich,tall handsome,ugly.me also i am looking forward to god for a better partner.remenber SEX is not basisi for marriage.THANK YOU !!!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pls What Should I Do?? I Really Do Love Her / I Am In Love / Her Secret Crush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.