Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Homosexuals Protest In Anambra - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Homosexuals Protest In Anambra (41818 Views)

Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Protest In Abuja Over FG's Inability To Rescue Chibok Girls (Pics) / What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by ozoemeka(m): 4:59am On Jun 13, 2013
achi4u: this monkeys need to be jailed or thrown into the moving train...they can pollute the land if they're allow to live,besides this is sacrilege in igbo culture and should not allowed to grow.

Ndi omekome

In IMO State Mbaise, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible. In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

“Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice.”
After that, the woman brings her "wife" home and they start living together as "husband" and "wife." Nobody frowns at it. To have children, both the "woman-husband" and "woman-wife" will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighboring town to sleep with the wife.

The children born by the wife bear the family name of the woman-husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the men who sleep with such wives in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or "father" children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre-dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practiced till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman-husbands are living happily with their woman-wives, though there are not many such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

“There are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.”
Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.
The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman-husband and wife.

Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children. It should be emphasized that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both "parents" are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

“Same gender unions as in this case enrich family values.”
Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to - and to accommodate - these changes.

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by vowiski(m): 5:54am On Jun 13, 2013
gbanikiti: 14 years imprisonment on my mind......

You guys watch news from the back, tongue

It is still not a LAW since the President has not acented to it.. I doubt that would happen though, considering the Aid Nigeria will loose

Though it is a taboo to our culture, and I support the National Assembly, it is still not a LAW.

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by WuzilistiQ(m): 6:18am On Jun 13, 2013
This is the opportunity to reduce dirty human beings in the society, as they come out in their multitude so it eases the work of the police to start looking for means of investigation, because the law makes me laugh, its just like banning fornication, how can you stop that from happening? So this is the best time to open a vast cell that can aid Naija to implement one law out of the billions enacted for reading purposes, please Nigerian police apply the name force today and reduce crime pls...how I wish all the homo/les had just one neck
*cut throat sign*
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by OneNaira6: 6:23am On Jun 13, 2013
Yet we wonder why the entire world see africans as backwards. some of una need to go read your biology and psychology books. homosexuality is not a choice but something a person is born with. Granted it has been proven that homosexuality is caused by some rewiring in their cerebellum and in the past, psychologist viewed it as a mental problem. well it's been proven it is not. why don't una join the rest of us in the 21st century and learn to tolerate and feel empathy for others. The same way none of us choose to be straight is the same way none of them choose to be gay. Put yourself in their shoes and feel empathy.

I remember a statement i heard i believe it was a documentary they did on CNN, one of the males interviewed mentioned he thought the black community would accept them and understand their plight more than anyone. To be honest i actually agree with him. we experienced the exact same discrimination, hatred, etc. For generations we were seen as less than humans. our children and family life were looked at in disgust. some saw the mixed couple relationship as a sacrilege, all because the white woman or white man was dating an "animal". some of our children were used ad bait for crocodile. our women were raped savagely and men were beating severely all because of a skintone none of them asked to be born with it. The same people that did all that to the black community used religion to support their evil deed now the story has changed and we using the same religion and disgust feelings to commit the same hatred to another community. seriously, some of una need to watch some of those documentaries they've done about gays and learn how much depression,we as society, is putting on them. do you know how many of am commit suicide yearly? do you know how many of am are victims worldwide, especially in africa and middle east, of discriminatory attacks SMH.

I have nothing against the gays as long as the physical part of their relationship is not done in my face. I am not going to deny I do have some prejudice to them like physically intimate, be it kissing, holding hands,etc".. though i have this prejudice, at least i understand this is just what they are. they can't help being who they are, the same way my parents can't help loving eachother, my sister can't help being attracted to her bf, i can't help being attracted to my gf, you can't help being attracted to your gf,bf, wife, or husband. Nigerians needs to just swallow their prejudice and accept them for who they are. it's just disgusting that some people support a law that sentence an innocen human being to jail all because of their s3xual preference. SMH

4 Likes

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by OneNaira6: 6:24am On Jun 13, 2013
double post
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Dibiachukwu: 6:55am On Jun 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 13, 2013
LET THEM BE!!..

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by stekyskydon(f): 7:09am On Jun 13, 2013
it all depends on d circumstances of d case, d law shuld nt b concern wit wat two consenting adult do in close doors, bt cn only b concerned wen it affects the public. And i still maintain dat in as much as same sex marriage affects our morality and affects d very existance of our culture. Bt i also tink pple shuld nt b discriminated becos of who dea choose to love or make out wit as long as it is done in close doors...
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 13, 2013
One_Naira: Yet we wonder why the entire world see africans as backwards. some of una need to go read your biology and psychology books. homosexuality is not a choice but something a person is born with. Granted it has been proven that homosexuality is caused by some rewiring in their cerebellum and in the past, psychologist viewed it as a mental problem. well it's been proven it is not. why don't una join the rest of us in the 21st century and learn to tolerate and feel empathy for others. The same way none of us choose to be straight is the same way none of them choose to be gay. Put yourself in their shoes and feel empathy.

Your post serves as a timely reminder that, no matter the level of exposure, the average Nigerian harbours an inordinate amount of irrational prejudices.

2 Likes

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Chocboyslim: 8:01am On Jun 13, 2013
LOL! Things dey happen for dis 9ja o! Pls d ops, where in anambra did diz happen? I need 2 parade army boys for massive floggin & whooping of ass untill they denouce dat GOd forsaken group.....FOOLISH PEOPLE!

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by kalunomics(m): 8:07am On Jun 13, 2013
why is taking cocain and marijuana a crime? I mean it's my choice and it's in no way innocuous to people?
This goes a long way to show that humans are just animals that can talk and communicate.

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

this is how regular Nigerians look? DAMN!!! I dont want to see the ugly ones.....I could have mistaken them for Mumbai street cleaners....I mean just look at them....the gay community should not accept these guys

Loooool
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 13, 2013
ozo_emeka:

Bull, read your history, The IGBO culture has ancient history that includes homosexual encounters as the ancient Greeks. Marriage was for reproduction however Men also took younger men under their wings and showered them with gifts and affection. The relationship continued even as the older men had children till the younger ones grew into marriage - this relationship was supposed to teach him how to be a man. The relationships were romantic, erotic and often times sexual in nature

Interesting.
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by achi4u(m): 8:15am On Jun 13, 2013
ozo_emeka:

Bull, read your history, The IGBO culture has ancient history that includes homosexual encounters as the ancient Greeks. Marriage was for reproduction however Men also took younger men under their wings and showered them with gifts and affection. The relationship continued even as the older men had children till the younger ones grew into marriage - this relationship was supposed to teach him how to be a man. The relationships were romantic, erotic and often times sexual in nature
Na wa o!
but those elders are not having intimate affairs with those little boys like kissing and all what not.
what we are discussing here is a full fledged sin that should NOT be allow to germinate in our history.

Is too irritating!
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 13, 2013
If what Mazi Ozo-Emeka posted is true, then I posit that we need different laws for different people in this country.

cool

Ozo-Emeka has informed the house that indeed homo-eroticism is part and parcel of Igbo culture and should not be frowned upon. Our honourable lawmakers need to pipe down now and allow states to make their own laws!

Meanwhile INNO18 you can go home now son

grin grin
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by abagoro(m): 8:26am On Jun 13, 2013
kalunomics: why is taking cocain and marijuana a crime? I mean it's my choice and it's in no way innocuous to people?
This goes a long way to show that humans are just animals that can talk and communicate.

I've been asking same. Some types of kleptomania is hereditory and not the individual's choice. Same goes with a lot of behaviour which majority of society find repulsive. Marijuana is better to be tolerated than homosexuality.
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by OneNaira6: 8:28am On Jun 13, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Your post serves as a timely reminder that, no matter the level of exposure, the average Nigerian harbours an inordinate amount of irrational prejudices.

Every human being has some prejudice over something, yourself included, so spare me with the saint talk. i rather mention my prejudice than be a two faced jerk and pretend I don't have one. Everyone, including my friends that are gay, knows this prejudice I have and if they are okay with, i don't see why it should bother anyone else.
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:36am On Jun 13, 2013
maclatunji: Abomination!

Abeg, be quiet before someone says Islam is an abomination and you get your feelings hurt.

1 Like

Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by donem: 8:36am On Jun 13, 2013
Jeez! Whats Nigeria turning into? They had the effrontery to protest! Goddamit
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Kessythegeek(m): 8:37am On Jun 13, 2013
nadia_SA: LET THEM BE!!..
wtf...you kidding rite..
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by micki83(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2013
achi4u: Na wa o!
but those elders are not having intimate affairs with those little boys like kissing and all what not.
what we are discussing here is a full fledged sin that should NOT be allow to germinate in our history.

Is too irritating!
Full-fledged sins and "half-fledged" sins,hehehehe... grin
I learn everday on Nairaland(Thank u,seun!)
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by micki83(m): 8:46am On Jun 13, 2013
One_Naira:

Every human being has some prejudice over something, yourself included, so spare me with the saint talk. i rather mention my prejudice than be a two faced jerk and pretend I don't have one. Everyone, including my friends that are gay, knows this prejudice I have and if they are okay with, i don't see why it should bother anyone else.
Um...I think that guy was actually trying to buttress ur point o...check his comment again...
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 13, 2013
One_Naira:

The operative word in my post was "inordinate".
It is rather unfortunate that in your haste to dilute the message you somehow failed to notice this.
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by achi4u(m): 8:50am On Jun 13, 2013
Ichie ozo-emeka and oga one_naira,

My only questions to you people are,
1,did you support same-se.x marriage,bro Nnamdi to be married to bro John??

2,would you allow ur only son to marry to another man--?,"ur only son"?...(remember ur lineage?)

3,would you (as a prominent man) attend such a show of shame in the name of marriage? ?
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:51am On Jun 13, 2013
jackbauersballs: Lol I would have thought the Homos would be delighted to be sentenced to 14 years of 'picking the soap'

Or are the protesters unhappy to be left unloved on the outside?

Why else would they risk imprisonment to protest against a well known criminal offence? undecided
grin grin grin tom duboise poikin d soap grin
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by DuduNegro: 8:52am On Jun 13, 2013
ozo_emeka:

In IMO State Mbaise, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible. In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

“Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice.”
After that, the woman brings her "wife" home and they start living together as "husband" and "wife." Nobody frowns at it. To have children, both the "woman-husband" and "woman-wife" will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighboring town to sleep with the wife.

The children born by the wife bear the family name of the woman-husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the men who sleep with such wives in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or "father" children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre-dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practiced till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman-husbands are living happily with their woman-wives, though there are not many such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

“There are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.”
Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.
The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman-husband and wife.

Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children. It should be emphasized that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both "parents" are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

“Same gender unions as in this case enrich family values.”
Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to - and to accommodate - these changes.

CHINEKE! shocked
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 13, 2013
micki83:
Um...I think that guy was actually trying to buttress ur point o...check his comment again...

Thanks - one would have thought that was pretty clear.
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by dinachi(m): 8:59am On Jun 13, 2013
How come more than 90 percent of gay supporters are women? I have observed this trend carefully. What is really happening? I have always suspected that most women s sexual orientation is not static. Even the married ones will gladly kiss and cuddle their girl friends! Is every woman lesbian at heart?
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by achi4u(m): 9:05am On Jun 13, 2013
micki83:
Full-fledged sins and "half-fledged" sins,hehehehe... grin
I learn everday on Nairaland(Thank u,seun!)

my guy I have the liecence /right to use any 'concoction' as english language gringrin
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by DuduNegro: 9:08am On Jun 13, 2013
ozo_emeka:

Dayam ni&&a! shocked
Re: Homosexuals Protest In Anambra by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:15am On Jun 13, 2013
ozo_emeka:

really is that so? I know it used to be accepted in many cultures in former days.

not encouraged, but accepted as a fact of life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tinubu, Oshiomhole, El-rufai’s 2023 Posters Spark Debate / APC In Disarray Over Faleke’s Decision. / Ekenedirichukwu Innocent Chima Held By Pakistani Gang Thank Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.