Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

What Lurks In The Dark - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Lurks In The Dark (32883 Views)

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) / The Dark Tommorow / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2013
E<R>F:
If you stop here, I'll

Spank You!

lollz-
okay make i continue

EPISODE 40-

as i held the knob i discovered that i could no longer hold my heart- whats lurkin for me in this secret room?
then suddenly-

bross wait e never done-
lollz-
;-))

dont worry ill give sallah episode tomorow-
kip crossed
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Solomon plan was foiled. Keep them coming bro
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Guy, i don wash my mouth, and stomach already o, anticipating the new delivery/meal. You rock Jay

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 12:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
I don return oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by ERF: 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2013
jayloyexten:

lollz-
okay make i continue

EPISODE 40-

as i held the knob i discovered that i could no longer hold my heart- whats lurkin for me in this secret room?
then suddenly-

bross wait e never done-
lollz-
;-))

dont worry ill give sallah episode tomorow-
kip crossed

hahahahaha... Continue na, Sallah na 2day im dey end uh..
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:54am On Oct 17, 2013
EPISODE 40

‘I heard your footsteps down the hall
And I know someday that would be you,
Leaving me for good…’ Dare

I watched his back as it disappeared into the hallway. I did not know what to feel as he left. Does he have a plan?
Already the priest is not on my side, no one is.

After he had gone a good distance, I accepted the fact that I was alone. I turned back to face the door. The door was like others, paneled-bulletproof doors.

I turned around to observe the passages as if looking for something. Somehow, something told me that the two doors at the end of the short passages led to two important places. They were more like secret rooms.

I wondered what was there, something told me to open one of the doors to check but I was too scared to dare it. If I could not boldly open the door I was told to open, how much more the one I knew nothing about.

I drew closer to the door Solomon had pointed.
I raised my hand to bend the knob down and push the door opened, but as my hand lifted and got close to the knob it suspended in the air, it was as if an unknown force suspended it.

Solomon had just treated me as if I had lived in this empire all my life, how could he just drop me before a door and tells me to enter, why did he not open the door himself? He did not say a word, what could be so upsetting?
Is it the fact that he could not save me or the fact that he had just lost the chance to derive the pleasure he wants from me? So he is not going to save me because he never had a chance to…

My heart began to boil with anger, how could he be so selfish? I could not control the sudden wave of hate that stormed my mind against him. What had gotten into my head in the first place what was I thinking? He is so selfish, damn it!

Could this be the man that Grasshopper tried in vain with the last drop of his blood and fading strength to pronounce? Never, I better find the real person. Probably, it was not a name in the first place, it could be something else, anything.

I tried to picture the scene of Grasshoppers death again in my mind. He had said that I should find Amanda and an ‘S’ word tried to pop out, was it not a name? Or was I to find Amanda first before I could find the ‘S’ word.

As the thoughts of Grasshoppers death came like fusillades into my brain, I began to have a deep feeling of guilt. I had failed Grasshopper. I had disappointed him for my selfish enterprise. I had esteemed my life greater than his words, greater than Amanda, greater than everything. It was all of a sudden and all of a sudden, it died. Glorious I never had to sink deeper into my quagmire too long, blest be the scene that carted Solomon away.

Then I made the decision again, I told myself
‘I am never going to leave without Amanda again. And if at all I ever meet Solomon, I would tell him point blank,
‘I am not interested in your gayism, redemption or rescue, you can roast in hell!’

Amanda had done nothing for me but that does not mean I should not do any thing for her, after all it seems like some divine powers had joined us together’

Then it came to my memory that pastor Salami was still in the building waiting for him.
However, is that reason enough for him to be in haste, no he was angry!

I moved closer to the door, I placed my hand on the knob, it felt cold, I removed my hand immediately and took a step away from the door, it was as if the door had rejected me.

No, I must see what is in the other room. That is the room at the end of the short passage. I went to the door.
‘I am going to open this door and see what was inside’ I told myself.
I was going to expect the worse; the worse cannot be more than death.
Although I later on wished that, I had known better.
I did the sign of the cross, and whispered to myself,
‘In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit’
Do I really want to do this? Yes I want to, I want to see what is inside this room, it looks so isolated. If I do not see what is in there now, I may never have the chance again

As soon as I was sure that I had sufficient reasons to open the door, I pressed the doorknob and gave it a slight push, but it did not give way.
‘The door must be locked’ I gave a thought
I wanted to move back, but something told me to try again, I tried harder this time with confidence and pushed the door, supporting it with my right leg. To my surprise, the door gave way.

As the door opened, it was as if something pushed me backwards. I moved.
In slight surprise, I stared at the door.
The door began to close gradually. I looked at the door in sheer amazement. Is the door made of string what is pushing the door. The door began to close its self gradually. I did not make any effort to stop it from closing, I just watched. Probably that was the best precaution I ever took in the Empire-

Suddenly, I began to hear tiny voices whispering, it was like a crowd of people whispering concurrently. The voice did not seem to come from the room, it was ringing right inside my head, it was loud and terrible. I felt my eyes bulging and spinning at the same time.

Suddenly the words began to make sense; it began to sound like English, although it was not so clear, but I could pick out some words-
‘David, David come in, come in now!’ Repeatedly
The way the voices spoke, was strange.
As one person is saying ‘David’ the other is saying ‘come’ another is saying ‘in’ another is calling ‘David’ again ‘another is saying ‘Now!’
It was such that in a second they made their point, if you could plus it together.

No, I must be imagining things; this cannot be real, no!
I rejected the voices I was hearing inside my head.

However, if I say I did not hear the voices I would only be deceiving my self.
I could hear the voices of children, women, men, different kinds of people whispering. The more I tried to pretend that I was only imagining things, the more the voices became clearer and stronger.
‘David come inside!’
I picked it again.

I could not withstand the sudden grip of fear that held me like a hungry vampire, ready to suck blood.
What the hell is in this room? I asked my self

The door finally closed by its self.
Does it mean that the room was rejecting me? Is this some spiritual room? What is in there?
Whatever it was I was no longer interested in seeing it. The trouble I had bought was enough: I do not care for more.
But I never knew that my miseries were yet to begin!

‘I am going to go back to the room Solomon had pointed to me’ I spoke to my self.

But as I tried to turn back, I saw that my body had become stiff, I mean very stiff like a dead man. I excerted all the powers I had in me just to turn, but I could not turn. I tried turning my neck but it did nit move. I tried to move my leg, my waist, my body, but everywhere was so stiff.
I was losing my strength but I kept on trying. When I saw that my efforts were but futility I gave up.
What was behind me, what kind of spirit controls this place?
I could not understand what was happening; my head was fermented with confusion.

Since I could not move backwards, I decided to move forward, as I pushed my legs forward it was like all the forces that held me hostage were suddenly loosed. I could move forward, my muscles became free, all of it. But forward to where? Where did I know I was going, that room? Never, I sensed it was just evil that lurked there. As I saw that my legs were free I decided to make use of the opportunity, I tried in haste to turn backwards, but as I tried again my body became stiff.

I did not move again, I just paused, a drop of tear unconsciously rolled down my eyes.

Immediately as the tear rolled down my eyes, I heard all the tiny voices crying, they cried so loud, that I had to hold my head. It was so terrible I had never experienced any thing like that in my life.

‘Please leave me alone! Let me go! I am sorry for disturbing you, whoever you are. Please if you have eyes to see you would know that I did not come here on a free will, Solomon had brought me, yes the man’s name is Solomon, he had abandoned me here. Whoever you are even if you are a spirit, you have to hear me, let me go, I am not a cannibal, please, who are you? Okay I do not care, just leave me alone, leave me alone! pleeeeeeeease!’

I did not know who I was talking to. But it didn’t matter I knew I was talking to9 something or somebody. If it can have a voice then it should have ears.

As I finished talking, there was sudden silence, It was like someone poured on me a big bowl of cold water. My muscles became light, I felt refreshed all of a sudden. It was like the powers that held me bound had left me, I began to feel a spring of joy, so tiny at one corner of my heart.

I tried to turn back making use of the opportunity. To my surprise, I turned back, my muscles did not ache and I did not feel stiff…
But as I turned back, all I saw was the same door that was in front of me, the same distance. My head began to spin. What is happening to me? How did I get into this? What is my sin?

‘Leave me alone!’I shouted, but my voice had changed, I could no longer talk like a human being, my voice had become a whisper. I was only whispering like the voices I was hearing.

I began to sob, but as I sobbed so many people sobbed alongside with me, and my head began to bang the more. I could not contain it, so I stopped crying.

There was silence for some seconds. I just mopped at the door, I did not say anything, I did not do anything, I just mopped in frustration.

Suddenly I heard a clean voice inside my head,
“David, do not be scared we are not going to harm you, we are not going to hurt you- we just want you to see this’

‘What if I do not want to see it’ I whispered back in frustration.
‘You must’

‘But I don’t want to’

‘You have started and there is no turning back’

‘Why?’

‘Because you are chosen’

‘Who are you please, let me go? You are spirit, you are demon, I cannot be conversing with you, please leave me alone!’

‘You asked me who I was, and you are so impatient to wait for my reply? You concluded that I am a spirit and a demon, David why!’

As the voice said ‘why?’ The word rang in my ears and head. I began to hear loud screams of wailings, it was like everybody in the world was screaming ‘why!’. I held my head’ I could not control it again. I crashed with my kneels to the ground, writhing in pain.

I did not know when I started screaming and shouting,
‘Please I am sorry!’ repeatedly.
Although I heard my voice like whispers, I still spoke anyway.

Then suddenly the voice died.
I wanted to stand up, but before I could, I saw my self standing already.
I was confused.

I wanted to say something, but I heard a voice say
‘shhhhhhhhh-‘

Before I could question the voice, the door before me opened.

Then the voice came again.

‘Go through the door, you wanted to know what is in there’

I wanted to say i am no longer interested, but the words could not form in my mouth.

The voice continued-
‘I am happy you are here, you shall cause a change, for you are our star boy’

‘Star boy how do you mean?’

‘You are the star we have been looking on’

‘What is that?’

‘Africans look at the Northern star’ the voice replied.

That phrase was an allusion, it reminded me of the story of the black Africans as we studied in literature.

The phrase was referring to the time when Africans suffered slavery and servitude. Then all animals were equal, but the white animals were more equal than the black was. It was a shame and curse to be black. However, the pressure was more in South Africa; North Africa on the other side was the place where every black dreamed of going, they called it greener pastures. That was where Abe Lincoln, moved the motion that set Africans free-
Every African, living in the white land was told to look at the northern star; it was the star of freedom, the star of equality, the star of hope and relief.
Africans look to the Northern Star… Star Boy
I kept the two words together and observed it.

‘Who are you and how did you know that phrase’

‘You are that star we have been waiting for, that you may bring an end to all our troubles’

‘I cannot help my self, I cannot even help my living friend locked up in this place, is it now a faint voice without a body-‘

‘Cut it there!’ the voice interjected.

‘I am sorry’ I apologized at once.

‘Go through the door’ this time the voice sounded like a command.

I did the sign of the cross again. I took it step by step.
After few steps, I was already in
However, as my two legs landed inside the room, something pushed me, a strong force, and I crashed to the ground.
Immediately the door jammed it self—I knew I had gotten into something.

At once, all I heard around me was laughter and jeering.

As I opened my eyes and looked around me-

I asked
When is epispode 41 coming?
The voice replied, in 24 hours
loolz
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 10:13am On Oct 17, 2013
It had better come in 24hrs o
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 17, 2013
As in seriously! David asked d voice? Lol.
David dont enter trouble.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Daniel2802: I don return oh.

where u go before :-/
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
scon-p:
It had better come in 24hrs o

shey na the voice talk am na
no be me o-

no fear sha- lolz
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
Damex333: As in seriously! David asked d voice? Lol.
David dont enter trouble.

na so-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2013
EPISODE 41

As I crashed with my body to the ground, all I heard was laughter and jeers.

It seemed so magical, but as I opened my eyes, all the voices making funny sounds quenched instantaneously. It was as if I had just woken up from a nightmare. I rubbed my palms together in a form of prayer, but also as a quick way of creating heat.

I looked with confusion; I did not know which was more confusing between the sudden silence and the strange scenario that stood in front of me.

For some seconds I did not move I just starred.
What are all these? I asked myself

I stood up immediately, but I did not know where to start.

The room was long, and like every other room in the Empire, it was painted white.
There were machines everywhere that looked like deep freezers, but these ones were a little longer. They were of same height. They were not so tall; they all stopped a little way above my waist.
The machines arranged in two parallel lines that ran six meters from the door to the end of the room. The parallel arrangement was such that there was a road in between the two rolls of machine.

The machines were immaculate white. They had something in common; a yellow light beeped on the right upper side of each machine, every two second.

The room had a very strange coldness; it was the coldest room I had ever been to. However, there was something strange about the room, it had no windows, or probably they were hidden somewhere I could not see. The Air conditioner did all the cooling.

Twenty-three, twenty-four, I counted all the machines; they were twelve on both roll.
I did not know where to start my exploration.

Suddenly, I heard quick steps behind me, I wanted to turn, but I did not turn immediately, I knew that it was only the door and I that were in the room, where then could the steps be coming from? I thought it was outside, but no the steps were very close.

I kept still, observing where the sound was coming from.
As I turned back in dismay, I only saw the door that had been shut behind me. I turned back and faced front, but immediately I heard the shoe sound behind me again, it was as if some one was walking to and fro behind me, a short distance.

I turned left, but as I turned left, I discovered that the sound was coming from my right. I turned right and discovered that the sound was coming from my left.
I turned back and discovered that the sound was coming from my front, I turned front-
The shoe was no longer walking, it would just bang its feet like three times around me, and then I would turn, before I knew it I was foolishly turning three-sixty degrees like a rolling fan.

Then all of a sudden, the sound stopped and I stopped.

What kind of game is this? I wondered. Whom exactly am I playing with?
I wanted to turn back and walk out of the room, but I remembered what happened before I came in, so I gave up the thought. ‘I have to face this’ I told my self.

Everywhere became still and quiet just like before.
I looked ahead of me, as I was about to take one-step forward, I heard a shoe take the step, my leg was hanging on the air, I dropped it quietly.
Then I heard the step walking away from me.
I did not move I just observed the scene, I was scared, but somehow I had the strength to hold on.

Suddenly I saw that the sixth freezer (the only thing I could call it) was shaking.
It shook vigorously for about five seconds then it stopped.

My heart lost beat at once. It was as if the cold in the room was fear it self, the more my body absorbed the cold, the more fear covered me like a blanket.

I fixed my eyes on the freezer, I could not take it away, then to my surprise, the freezer started beeping red light continuously, like an emergency alert.

Was I supposed to go there?
I wanted to move my feet but I could not, this time it was not any strange force holding me I was only held back by my own fears.

I wanted to hear the tiny whispering voices saying something, telling me what to do, just saying something.

Suddenly, I began to hear voices, but this time they were not just voices, and they did not bang inside my head, they were external.

I heard a little girl crying and calling
‘Mommmeee!’ at one end of the room.
Her cry was so passionate, it was emotional, it struck my heart like poison. I could not help it. She reminded me of Vera and my mom. As the girl cried and called her mom sorrowfully, I did not know when a tear rolled down my cheeks.

‘Let me help you, oh let me help you’ I whispered to her, picturing her in my mind. I did not know if she could hear me, but somehow I knew that in this place it did not matter whether you shout or speak low, everything were the same.

The girl kept on crying, and crying, oh my God it sounded so real-
I did not know when another sorrowful tear rolled down my cheeks.
I started moving towards the voice in reflex and compassion, I moved so slowly like a groom taking his bride down the aisle.
I had barely taken five short steps when the voice rose to its peak, it was so sorrowful, that I began sobbing heavily, it was like each step I took forward, made the young girl cry the more.

My lips began to shake like a chicken soaked in the rain, mucus began to flow from my nose, it was then the voice got to its climax
‘David please help me!’ the voice called out.

My sobbing suddenly seized, did I just hear my name? I asked my self.
A tear fell.

Suddenly I heard a bold female voice right behind me on my right ears
‘David!’ the voice was loud and sorrowful. I almost fainted.
I turned back immediately to see the persons face, as I turned, I heard the same voice speak right into my left ear
‘David!’

I turned in the twinkling if an eye, but the scene repeated itself, it happened for like four times, each time I turned suddenly.

I was fed up, so I blocked my ears with my two palms, screaming, although my voice was just a whisper ‘please leave me alone!’

However, as I closed my ears and screamed it became worse, it was like the voice positioned her mouth on my two ears and screamed into it
‘David help me! David help us’
Why are they always screaming?

When I saw I could not control it, I shouted back,
‘I have heard, I will!’

As I said that the voices quenched immediately. My body began to shake. I did not know what to do, what to say or what to think. The only secret life that man has in life is the free world of his thoughts, that had just been taken from me.

I could not cry; I feared the voices would cry with me, I could not scream it would be worse.
I just looked blank, thoughts and mind blank.

I thought I had silence, I never knew it was only temporal; the voices began again-
This time they were about 30 people.

There was something about the voices this time. They did not sound obnoxious; they were polite and pitiful
They all cried in unison
‘David, please help us’

I just listened I did not know what to say.
Suddenly I heard the funniest thing in my life-
They said
‘You killed Goliath, you can save us’
It was then I concluded that they were mad; obviously, they were dead people who lived in the time of David in the Bible. Their lives as ghost could not make them differentiate between the living David and the dead David from the Bible.
This people must be mad, they are only confused ghosts who have come to torment my soul, they are so obnoxious!
Are they so foolish to see that I cannot save my self? No they must be mad-

Oh but I had soon forgotten that they could hear my innermost thoughts.

Immediately, they raised their voices in anger, and all of them, countless, spoke into my ears, my head, my skull, everywhere!
I could not help it, I crashed with my kneels to the ground, as if that was on enough, I fell belly down, the voice created pain that I began to throw my legs in the air like the tail of a beheaded wall gecko. I jammed my ears with my palms.

They all screamed
‘David how could you! David how could you!’

When I saw that the pain was unbearable, my mouth without the permission of my brain started bleeding in words-
‘Sorry, sorry, sorry’ in abundance, like the firings of machine guns simultaneously.

The voice subsided again.
I did not know what to do.
I stood up, but as I stood up, I saw that I was already standing close to the sixth freezer.

It was then I understood the game, I was meant to come to the freezer.

I could observe the freezer closely; it looked like a casket, only that it had the body of a deep freezer.

‘What is inside this place?’ I asked myself
Could it be drinks? Is this where they store their drinks?
Did these spirits bring me here so that I could eat?

Then I remembered that I was hungry, I barely took something before I took to my unrealizable journey to Lagos, Nigeria.
Nevertheless, would I not be deceiving myself to say that here is the place where drinks are stored?
With the proliferation of ghosts here, shouldn’t things be crystal-clear?

Immediately the words of Pastor Salami came banging inside my head
He had bragged that if he needed flesh, he has lots of them down in the ground, I had thought that he was referring to graves. But could it be this place?

I touched the freezer I wanted to open it-
But a damming thought came to mind
‘Dude, you know what you are about to open, can you stand the sight of the dead?’

‘No’ I replied the thought.

I removed my hand from the freezer.
It was like I heard a voice, but I could not pick it clearly, the way this people talk could be funny at times.
I turned away from the freezer. I felt I had already gotten the message.

These were dead people stored up for rituals or to be eaten.
I could remember when pastor Salami talked about some foul spirits disturbing his empire; my death was to silence them. I now understand, these spirits could be so annoying.

Now I could perceive with no iota of doubt that these spirits want me to help them.
But how? The mode was uncertain. What ever they wanted I did not ever think that I could give them. I turned away. I did not know where I where I wanted to go, all I knew was that I never wanted to see a dead body.

But as I turned my back on the freezer with the attempt of walking away, I received a hot and dirty slap. I thought Solomon’s own was painful, but when a ghost slaps you, you would understand that you could not liken it to any humanly experience no matter how terrible, no matter how fatal.

I passed out.

However, I could tell that it was within the space of five minutes, and then I began to regain my strength.
These are indeed angry spirits, I had done nothing to them, so why are the persecuting me?

It was after about eight minutes on the ground, before I could move my lips and say something.

‘What was that for?’ I asked the room.

However, as I asked the question I had a stronger metallic voice repeat the same question.

‘WHAT WAS THAT FOR?

The voice shook me.

‘I cannot understand’ I said sorrowfully, my face still aching with the slap.

But the metallic voice repeated it.
‘I CANNOT UNDERSTAND!’

‘I am sorry, what did I do wrong? I cannot stand the sight of the dead!’

‘You are calling us dead?’ the voice spoke with panic and anger

Before their voices could rise to its usual provoking tenor, I apologized immediately
‘NO! You are not dead, you are not dead, you are alive, I am sorry, I really am’

There was silence for a short while again.

‘How dare you touch the casket without opening it? You are a dead man!’ a clear voice broke the silence.

It was then I understood my sin and duty. I was to open the casket, freezer, whatever.

I apologized quickly.
I stood up; the fear of seeing the dead was unbearable.

I opened the casket gently; it was just like opening a fridge, as I opened it, I could not believe what I saw
I saw Amanda-lifeless-DEAD-CADAVER-stale!

Suddenly, a sorrowful dead voice came from behind me,

‘I gave my life for you, what have you given to me!’

I fainted.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Pls don't tell me Amanda is dead
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
David in a very got pepperish soup. I pity david o
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
scon-p:
Pls don't tell me Amanda is dead
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 8:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Sobbing.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
:-(
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
Come update oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by ERF: 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2013
This is getting saucier, o boy....

This man is good ooh, keep it up.

But I don't understand, how was the death of Amanda David's fault?

Infakt there are still mysteries yet to ...

Carry On Big Bro..
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2013
Daniel2802: Come update oh.

today is d lords day na- i am keeping it HOLY
;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
E<R>F:
This is getting saucier, o boy....

This man is good ooh, keep it up.

But I don't understand, how was the death of Amanda David's fault?

Infakt there are still mysteries yet to ...

Carry On Big Bro..

YO! Thnks man

sure there stuffs behind d veil you'll get to understand soon

hang around-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
2day na monday oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
I fainted
I did not know what happened thereafter, I only found my self on the same position as my eyes pushed its gates wide open.

The first thing I heard was a knock on the door. I almost jumped up at the sound.
My heart shook, which could that be. I could easily guess that it was either the priest’s or Solomon.
If Solomon, things could turn out fine, but if it the Priest, then only God would be able to narrate the experience after we had met face to face.

I began to hear voices around me; it was if I was in a noisy lecture theatre.

The voices were saying,
‘It is capon, it is capon- it is him’

My pulse raced, I could hear the way my heart pumped out blood like angry punches.
What could capon be looking for down here; this must be doom!
I sat up on the floor, and rubbed my face.
There was no time to think of Amanda’s death, here was mine. Could it be this spirits manipulating things to hurt me?

Pastor Salami’s words began to make sense in my head again. He had said that when I die, my spirit would become a roaming specter, at that time, I could wreck havoc on whoever had wronged me while I was yet alive.

The legless shoe must have been a lying spirit to tell us that we would be saved together.
Suddenly my heart began to melt; I had caused Amanda’s death I knew how-

As a tear was about to fall from my eyes for Amanda, I heard the knock on the door again.
I jumped up on my feet and jettisoned all my thoughts immediately.

I looked at the door. In front of it was capon on the outside.
The next moment he would open the door. Why has he not opened the door for seconds now?
Was that what I was supposed to do when I got to the door? Was I expected to get a reply from the spirits before I entered? Sure that was why the pushed me angrily on the floor.

Where can I hide? I asked my self.

‘Do not worry we will hide you and you would be saved’ the voices spoke.

‘How’ I asked looking for where to hide, but finding none. It was just a room.
The best I could do was hiding behind one of the freezers. However, if Capon’s mission is to find me, then there was no way he would not find me after a thorough search.
I wondered how it got to capon searching for me.

‘We will hide you’ the voice came again.

I almost got angry at their words, they are saying that they will hide me, and there was capon at the other side of the door. Where do they want to hide me? Can’t they simply stop the idiot from coming in just the way they forced me to enter? They could use same method to stop him from entering. As the thoughts were yet in my mind, I got an instant reply.

‘Surely he will come in, and we want you to do something’

‘What is that?’

Suddenly I became as light as air. I found myself standing on the air above the ground, about three feet from the ground; a gentle force moved me in the air like a gentle wind.

In few seconds, I found my self suspended in the air just beside Amanda’s freezer-casket.
My heart began to pant in pity. I had immediately forgotten that it was abnormal to stand on the air.
Suddenly, the casket opened by its self, and from above the ground, I could see Amanda’s lifeless body lying unclad inside the casket.

A tear fell from my eyes immediately, but before the tear could drop to the ground, I was turned horizontally, however I was still suspended in the air beside her casket. It was so fast that the same tear fell on my body, on my stomach to be precise.

In the twinkling of an eye, I was moved to the air above Amanda’s dead body. My face faced the ceiling, I could not see her body or the freezer, notwithstanding, I still perceived that I was directly above her body.

‘Please do not drop me inside here, it is better for Capon to get me than for me to lie down with the dead’

However, I suddenly remembered they do not like to been called dead so my appeal changed course immediately.

‘No you are not dead, but I cannot stay in the same casket with this human, her body is cold and she is naked, no please, just drop me, please, its better I die than experience this!”
I shouted; although my shootings’ did not go anywhere, they were just tiny whispers that sounded inside my head.
I tried to move my legs, and throw them in the air, but nothing happened, I tried to struggle, move my body, do something, but never, my body was as stiff as that of Amanda.

‘You do not know what you are saying, we are helping you, and you will help us to. Be calm, we would not hurt you- we love you’ the voices spoke

Immediately they finished speaking I began to drop gently inside the casket, just the way a casket is gently placed inside a trench during a burial ceremony-
The cover closed on me as I went in.

However, it did not close completely, and I did not land on the body either.
There was a little space left I was still suspended; I turned my face to the right to see the outside.
The first thing I saw was the door, my eyes narrowed to the knob, I saw the doorknob twisting down, Capon was already opening the door.

My heart began to beat faster, the knob pressed down. My casket was still opened.
‘What are these spirits waiting for?’
The door gave a loud hiss, as it sluggishly gave way like a strong-headed male child.

I began to beg to be dropped into the casket, it was no longer horrifying what was horrifying to me Capon meeting me there, God I am doomed!

I began to beg the spirits,
‘Please drop me in now, please, you said you will keep me from evil, please keep your word. Please do not let this man see me. He would kill me if he does. I know him very well; he is very ruthless! He has killed so many people, he has eaten so many flesh, please help me, and please do not change your mind, I maybe rude in my thoughts but please forgive me’
You would not believe that all I said I said in just three seconds. My voice wrangled like the sound of a dobbing cassette; I spoke with fear and panic.

Nevertheless, no voice replied me, and the casket was still slightly opened.

Finally, the door opened completely.

My heart shook as I saw the complete figure of Capon in his black over alls.
His broad shoulders, and the proud position his hands fell into, ministered fear to my mind.
Nevertheless, there was one good thing about the way he stood; he backed the room, so he could not see me.
He took three steps with his back inside the room, as he took the third step, the spirits dropped me into the casket, and the freezer closed.

As I landed, I almost bounced up because of the succulent parts beneath me.
Her body was well preserved; it was not strong and swollen. It was soft and moist like the skin of a girl beneath a shower.
The freezer smelt well, it was well perfumed.

I quickly turned with my front on Amanda’s naked body.
There was no space beside her; the width of the freezer could only accommodate one person.

Her body felt cold against mine. One foolish thing began to happen within me, waves like electric currents began to spark like high-tension cables. My manhood was so stupid; it began to erect with joy.

I looked straight into Amanda’s face; her beauty remained even in death. Her artificial hair were off, however, she was left with a small afro. She looked very cute on her afro.
Her eyes were opened but they had lost the spark I had saw when I first saw her, I closed her eyes, and whispered- ‘sleep’
Her lips were pouted as if she was about to groan in pleasures.

As I looked into her face, my heart began to burn with guilt.
I had caused her death somehow; I saw her going to death and did not stop her.

I could easily conclude that she had died when she followed the legless shoe. Probably the legless shoe was the priest and he had deceived us with his powers, mesmerized Amanda, taken her to a secret place, and killed her.

I should have known better,
That man is evil! When I saw the shoe and the note that popped out from it, I knew that nothing good could come out from the mysterious scene. However, I just had to trust something, anything.
I had watched Amanda follow the shoe down the passage; I never knew that that was the last time I would see her as a living soul.

I wept.

I held her cold face with my two hands, her face felt cold against my palms.

I was moved with emotions, I did not even know when I began to speak

‘I am sorry that I did this to you’ I started by taking the blame

‘I should have advised you. But what would I have done, I would have done anything for you, but life offered no way. You were only a victim of fate; please understand that if I had the chance to save you I would have saved you. I love you, even though it was at first sight, but I felt something for you, and there was no way I would have let you go, if I could keep you from going.’

‘Life has been so cruel to me; I do not know why I had to loose you both the same day. See I also lost my lover Sandra today; her head had been taken by a demonic pastor called Salami. She couldn’t even die a descent death; her head would be eaten or used for money making.’

‘God can bear me witness that when I saw you I thought that you were sent from heaven to comfort me. No mater how short, at least you could be of comfort before the day of our death. I thought we were both chosen, I never knew it was a lie. I also thought that the day of sacrifice was Friday, oh maybe capon has come to kill me as well, we were both deceived my love’

‘The legless shoe was an aberration, he had said that we were destined to be together, he had matched-made us. We both believed. Oh but we did not know, we could not perceive, we did not even have the slightest inkling that what he had in mind was your ruin. If you had known you would not have followed him, oh—‘

I wept strongly.

‘Amanda, listen to me, then you were mortal, then you were feeble, then you were weak, but now you are immortal, you are strong, nothing can hurt you, please take your vengeance- take it to the fullest.

‘I know how funny what I am about to say to you may sound; but its what I perceive possible. Please get me out of here.’

‘I promise you with my life that I would tell your parent of your unfortunate death, and of this empire of evil. I would tell them that you were not the only person victimized of this evil; there are so many other people and I should have been along side victimized if not for your help.’

‘ I would tell them, that you are not dead, your spirit lives on, moves on, breath on, and that your spirit would bring to them dividends of love, peace, hope, fortune, and all that would make their heart beat the sounds of joy.’

‘My love, after I tell them, I would bring the world down here and this empire shall be destroyed! This empire shall be swallowed up in victory; her foundations shall be nothing but sand, rumbles and pieces of ash.’

‘My love, after then, I shall gather your body in peace, and bring you to the grave of peace. I am a man of my words, remember my boldness; remember I eat fears like vegetables. Remember when I first met you in that passage, I thought you were a vampire, you acted like one, you came close, so close, the next thing that should have been on my mind was death, but I stood without fear, facing the ‘evil’ that stood before me, challenging it to a duel.’

‘My love, if had I lived in the days of David, I would have killed Goliath, if I lived in the days of Daniel, I would have eaten the flesh of the lions like the cannibals eat the flesh of humans. My love if I had lived in the days of Adolf Hitler I would have conquered the world in a day- if only I was opportune to see the suffering of the blacks, I would have even better than Abraham Lincoln brought out the blacks from slavery and servitude. But those are not our days, and you did not live in those days, I am now what all those great men were to the world to you. I am now the bravest in the world, the strongest, the most powerful. I swear, just bring me out of here, and I will by the virtue of my greatness pull down the walls of this Empire to her foundations, but before then, I would cuddle you in my arms, and in peace I shall lay you in your grave.’

‘My flowers shall kiss your feet every year, exotic flowers from all climes. Though your flesh may rot, and your bones decay, the memories of your love in my heart would last until the end of eternity-

‘Here is my proposal from the depths of my heart, let us work together.
Although the legless shoe may be lying when he matched-made us, but we could still be partners, work together, and as he said, we both will get out of this empire together, if I can truly remember what he had said, but I know it is after this semblance. Let us work together, let me be your hero even in death.’

‘I promise you that if you save me from this evil, when the world celebrates me for bringing down this Empire, your name shall be mentioned before mine, and no matter the gully erosion, your name shall remain on the sand of time.
My love let me be your hero!’

As I finished I did not know what I was waiting to hear-
Was she going to reply me? I strongly believed she had heard all my appeals.
From the little I know of spirits, they are not so loquacious, they love giving suspense.

Her body that crushed against mine was a big temptation.

‘Get off from that body, do not you want to make love with the dead’ I heard a jealous voice speak.

‘But I did not attempt that’ I replied the voice

‘I saw the thoughts coming, so strongly. Besides you must turn on your back now, there is something you must do’

‘But what is that, and are you Amanda?’ I asked the voice.

The voice did not reply.
Well, I believed that if truly it was Amanda’s voice I heard, then she must have heard all my pleadings.
When I saw that reply was not coming, I turned, letting my back ly on her front.

Suddenly I heard footsteps approaching me.

I strained my ears to hear properly.
I heard capons voice,

‘One, two- five, six, yes six- that is it, that must be it.
It is on the right roll, yes!’

I heard anxious steps approaching.

My heart shifted.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by ERF: 5:10am On Oct 22, 2013
LOL... Crazy David!

Make Love With the dead? I thought they argued not being dead?

Nice one Sire, How I wish you can update everyday...

Proposing to the dead? Lol.. I'm liking Amanda oh
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
E<R>F:
LOL... Crazy David!

EVERYDAY?
Hmmm-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
E<R>F:
LOL... Crazy David!

the body s dead,but d spirit are not.
ERF, its just like you entered my mind and brought out wat is there.

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 6:57am On Oct 23, 2013
Try to be updating everyday.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2013
EPISODE 43

As each step pounded hastily on the floor towards me, my heart pounded in same weight and rhythm.

Capon had just described the location of Amanda’s casket where I was hiding.
The next few seconds he should be opening the casket and that would be the end of me.

But what could he be looking for?
Could it be that he had come for the succulent parts, just like pastor Salami.
Whatever he was coming for, I knew that it was nothing but evil.

The steps drew closer. I could tell that he was already inches away from me.

My heart began to bleed in regret.
‘Why did I even enter this casket in the first place? I could have just hidden behind one of those freezers; I would not have listened to them, I would have just done it my own way’
Then I remembered that I did not have a chance of choice, the spirits had decided it all.
Why were they so short sighted, what kind of an oversight is this?

They said they wanted me to do something for them. What could it be, could it be that I was to be captured by Capon first before I could do whatever it was, or this is an oversight indeed?

I felt the fridge shake.

I heard a sound like someone opening a cell tape, somehow I guessed it was a nylon gloves; I was not wrong.

My heart beat doubled in pace and weight.

So this is my end.
My eyes became cloudy with tears of betrayal, how could these spirits deceive me.
No! This is not a strange happening; the legless shoe had done same to Amanda, however I was too dumb as not to learn from it, it had killed Amanda and now I am the next target- this must be the sacrifice.
I could now better understand the phrase-‘Let them sleep together’
Its no room, it is in death-
My brain sent out expanding waves of realization, it was as if a veil just dropped from mine eyes.

I began to curse the spirits in my mind.

Suddenly I heard sorrowful voices speaking at the same time-
‘No you are not going to die, he is going to die’

‘Who?’

‘Capon’

‘Then kill him before he opens the casket’

‘No kill him. That is what we want you to do’

Before I could say anything, capon opened the casket.
Cold shivers raced through my spine as I beheld his ruthless face.

He wore his gloves perfectly as he bent to see his tide.
A small knife was on his right hand, he had used same hand to open the casket
I heard him say as he was opening it-
‘Oh succulent parts for Libido strength!’
There was a powerful wave of vexation in my mind.

I heard the voices speak strongly-
‘Kill him, now!’

I had never killed someone before,
Nevertheless, by the time I heard the voices say-
‘He killed Amanda!’
I did not know where the strength came from.

As capon bent his head to look inside the casket-, the last and only word his lips managed to uttered was-
‘David’

Immediately I had landed him a very heavy blow on his lower jaw, driving it upwards in clenched fist like a jubilant throwing his hands into the air in uncontrolled excitement. My teeth clenched as I sunk the punch into his jaw.
The blow jammed his jaw together vehemently, a mouthful of blood spat out from his mouth without a choice and covered my face.
I could hear the shattering in his mouth, some of his teeth had danced to the music.

He staggered, and tried to gain balance. I knew that the next thing on his mind was to attack me. He tried to grip the small knife in his right hand, however before he could try that, I stood on my kneels, still on Amanda’s body, and gave him another undertaking blow from his lower jaw, I made this one harder, and with the pain of seeing Amanda dead my strength was more than you could ever think of.

As the blow crushed his lower jaw. His teeth gnashed again, a piece of his tongue dropped to the ground soaked in blood. This time more blood spiced with teeth flew out from his mouth, I avoided it from splashing on my face. His knife dropped into the casket and as a matter of haste, I picked it up.

Oh-but it was too late, he threw his hands into the air in pain and anguish. Suddenly I did not know how it happened; he fell helplessly with his back to the ground. I did not know if it was just my blow, or the spirits had assisted in pushing him down.

It was so fatal because behind him was not a leveled ground at all, there was another fridge meters behind him, as he fell, his head fell on the fridge while his rest body suspended in the air for some seconds.
It was just his head on the other freezer and his feet supported on Amanda’s freezer that kept him hanging in the air.

As expected, I heard a crack as he tried to struggle, his neck broke like biscuit; his broken neck slide down the fridge, measuring it from top to base. He crashed to the ground, dead.
As his body crashed, his head slanted to the left, already the only thing that held the neck was the flesh around it.
Blood mixed with saliva gushed from his mouth like tap water.
Soon, his nose joined and he bled profusely.

I jumped out from Amanda’s casket immediately, anger yet burned in my mind, I was ready to stab him even though he was dead.

I stood in front of him, holding the knife in a stabbing position, standing as if waiting for him to wake up and then attack him again.

As I looked at him, hate welled my heart the more.
All I saw on the screen of my mind, was Amanda’s spirit calling out to me-
‘David, help me, avenge my blood to the fullest!’

‘You have the effrontery to kill my lover Sandra, as if that was not enough you went ahead and killed Amanda. Yet that was still not enough for your insatiable foolishness, you had the guts to stand up in the middle of the night and haunt down her body, oh your plan was to cut away he private parts for your refreshment-’

‘You have killed her, what else do you want? You still trouble her in death when she ought to take the deep sleep of eternal rest.
You are a fool you have paid for your sins in full!
You demon, you son of the devil, you blood sucking cannibal- argggh!”

I stooped down in anger full of emotions, I did not know when I began to stab him angrily on his chest region, as I stabbed him tears fell from my eyes, as the tears fell, I continued the more, the only thing that stopped me was the pain I began to feel in my muscles.

His blood gushed out, and as I saw the blood flow out, I felt satisfaction and slight relief.

Suddenly I looked at him with a different eye; I had just killed someone so ruthlessly without a second thought.
I looked at him, I felt a little of pity and a plethora of hate simultaneously.
My two hands fell beside me in what looked like frustration, or emotional heart attack.

‘Aaaaaaaargh!’ I gave a loud shriek of relief.

I stood up in strength to face Amanda lifeless body; her casket remained opened-

‘I have avenged your death my love, this is just one, I would bring down this empire with my own hands, and this place of evil, this home of cannibals, this set of murderers would be no more.
But only little did I know of what lurked me in my dark future-

As I mentioned the word ‘murderer’, my heart struck a harsh chord of condemnation-
‘You are also a murderer, in fact the latest murderer in the world- what make you better than them’

No way! I was not ready to succumb to that weak thought. I hardened my heart and replied my mind in boldness and ruthless guts-
‘-it is self defense, simply self defense, it is not a sin to God- I have not sinned it was simple self defense’ I consoled my self

A drop of tear rolled down my cheeks almost entering my mouth, I quickly cleaned it. As I cleaned it I discovered that it felt sticky and viscious, I took a look at my palm and discovered that it was blood, Capon’s.

I looked down on his bleeding body.
‘Even if I die now, at least I have wrought my vengeance’
I told my self assuredly.

Suddenly I heard a knock on the door again. The knocks were heavy and anxious-
I quickly stooped down beneath the freezer n front of me.

I dug my hand inside capon’s trousers and found a handkerchief I did not mind if he had used it to blow his nose or whatever, I picked it up and used it to wipe my face.
There must be no single drop of blood on my face.

After cleaning my face, I looked at my shirt, there were about two splashes, I quickly cleaned it.

Then it occurred to me that cleaning was no option at all.
I was the only person in the room and no mater how clean I look it would not change anything, I would still be tagged the killer. Who will ever imagine that a boy of seventeen killed a muscular and diabolic man with his bare hands without sustaining the slightest injury? Yet he was the leader of an occult group

No one would ever believe, I would just tell them that some ballistic spirits had done the work. Maybe I should injure my hand so that I would say that I was also attacked.

I would say that the spirits had left me because I was chosen, chosen was their word. After all, my death was to send them off from earth to the world where they belonged; they would see it even without me explaining so much.
If they ask me how I got here, I would simply say that it was Solomon who had told me to enter. Solomon would not be able to deny, because he left me in an unknown passage.

No that is all crap! This is a plan to kill me! These people want to kill me, it is their secret agenda; already Amanda is dead.

Who could be knocking? I wondered
Definitely, it must be the priest.
Suddenly I ran out of time and I had not decided what to do.
Something said I should kill.
I considered the idea in few seconds- after all the priest is quite old, I should be able to kill him without much struggle. However, using my bare hands would not just be dangerous but unadvisable.
This is a priest in question who has diabolical powers_ I became scared

Suddenly something came into my head.
I ransacked capon’s body and found what I was looking for.
I pulled out the small shotgun from his trousers and admired it with a wicked grin.
Shooting would not be a bad idea; I could handle a gun- I had never, but knew I could dare it; it was just about pulling the trigger with guts.

As I held it, I had a strange voice-
‘Capon are you there?’
The person stopped for a while as if observing the place.
By the time I heard the voice speak again, I knew it was Solomon.
He closed the door behind him and took some forward steps after which he stopped again.

I romanced my gun.

Suddenly, capons phone started ringing aloud-
His ringing tune was Thriller by Michael Jackson

Oh, you are there why then are you hiding sir, is all well.
Oh, I had also forgotten to close the freezer, bunch of errors I made things so easy for him.
I heard Solomon’s hasty steps approaching the phone.

I picked the up the phone and it rang on my hands.
I did not even have the time to check who was calling.
I picked up the phone and threw it backwards, luckily, it landed on his head, as planned-before the phone fell to the ground from his face, I jumped on my feet like a soldier, without wasting a second, I emptied four bullets into his chest.

His mouth opened into no words. He crashed to the ground after throwing his hands to the air in a form of surrender. He crashed with his face to the ground, dead.
Was I right to have killed him? He wanted to save me and backed out, beside, nobody must know what I have done.

In less than five minutes, I had killed two very important people in the Volturis Empire.
Suddenly, I discovered that the gun did not make any sound.
I looked at Solomon critically as if doubting his death. However, by the time I saw his blood streaming from four different fountains, I knew that his death was undoubtable.

I looked at Capon, then Solomon,
What is next-
Where am I supposed to go?
Already Amanda is dead and it is just myself and I- what is in that room Solomon pointed at? How do I deal with these dead bodies, already death await me on Friday how do I evaded that- I have just compounded my problems-
It suddenly occurred to me that I did not want to die, my previous bragging were just tantrums.
My heart became cold.
A cold fluid slide down my s-pine and sent all over my nervous system,
COLD SHIVERS.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 23, 2013
Don't stop, pls continue, David is now fighting d fight of survival. Survival of the fittest.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 9:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice. David is now the jackiechan
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
Their blood is necessary.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:08am On Oct 24, 2013
feeling LAZY this mawnin-
:-(

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

New Story : Afraid To Love / Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video) / Ibale{virginity}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.