Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds (28551 Views)

$15bn Oil Deal: Why Indian High Commissioner Is After Me – Alison-madue / Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner / Dimka’s Coup; Obasanjo, Danjuma Are Cowards – UK High Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by WalesWonder811(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2013
That's diplomacy. The HC did a nice job there, I like it.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by LBT: 10:32am On Jun 26, 2013
Donprah: this is so sad especially in Africa, we have so many people that want to travel..and now £3,000 is so big for a high majority of those immigrants... i think the high commissioner to Nigeria over there in Uk should try and look into this
We should retaliate by making those uk citizens pay a bond of £15,000 since very few of them come here and those that come make more money here than they do in their home country. Nobody messes with america cos they will retaliate one way or another; if we don't retaliate,they will do worse things.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 10:33am On Jun 26, 2013
coogar:

there are thousands of human rights group lying in wait to attack the policy. i believe it's just hot air. this time last year, the issue of bounty hunter was brought up. till date, i have not heard of anyone caught via bounty hunters.

nigerians can relax!
you guys are forgeting that last year events isnt the same as this year.there is a growing call for tougher immigration rules folloing the killing of a uk soldier by two uk born nigerians.they are going to rope all this in.uk will carry out this policy,and believe me there isnt much that nigeria can do to retaliate.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by coogar: 10:35am On Jun 26, 2013
texaco1:
you guys are forgeting that last year events isnt the same as this year.there is a growing call for tougher immigration rules folloing the killing of a uk soldier by two uk born nigerians.they are going to rope all this in.uk will carry out this policy,and believe me there isnt much that nigeria can do to retaliate.

lib dem and labour would piss on the policy at the parliament. i would try and watch PM questions at 12 to see if this issue would be brought up today.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by 50calibre(m): 10:36am On Jun 26, 2013
bjdon: People here's some thoughts on this from the UK:

1: This policy (if we can even call it that) is being pushed by Theresa May, the Home Sec who has ambitions to be PM if the Conservatives loose in 2015. She needs to raise her profile with the right wing press and the conservative Party.

2: Since the announcement on Sunday (In only 1 major newspaper) no govt figure has come out to support the plan.

3: The British need trade with 3rd world as the EU is stagnant at the moment and any thing that could impact that trade will never see the light of day.

With all of the above I really doubt if this policy will ever be implemented. The current govt here have a habit of talking big but delivering little (Kind of like GEJ's administration smiley ) Let's relax and watch how things unfold but kudos to the FG for firing a warning shot at them. Trust me that's the only language the British understand.

Looool Theresa May has no chance in hell of being PM, not in this life. She is one of the most hated politicians in Britain.

If its Boris, I agree but Theresa? Hell no. If she harbours any ambitions of being PM, then she is highly delusional.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by 677ano(m): 10:37am On Jun 26, 2013
I laugh when I read the post here
Why will the UK not request a bond when Nigerians
Come to the UK with visit visa accumulate medical bills and refuse to pay
Then return to Nigeria these are the high risk people being targetted
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by coogar: 10:37am On Jun 26, 2013
50calibre:
Looool Theresa May has no chance in hell of being PM, not in this life. She is one of the most hated politicians in Britain.

If its Boris, I agree but Theresa? Hell no. If she harbours any ambition of being PM, then she is highly delusional.

who would vote for theresa may?
mikel obi has a better chance of becoming the prime minister than theresa may. her fellow brits can't stand her.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by ddeola: 10:38am On Jun 26, 2013
J12: Who is a high risk traveller?

Dier fada...
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by papushki(m): 10:44am On Jun 26, 2013
funnyx:

Fear for wia? Rather its people like you that are quick to jump to conclusion, the scheme has not been fully developed and may still need to get parliamentary approval yet some Nigerians are already cursing the UK and threatening retaliation but many of you are quick to say that the UK is finished undecided I cannot but wonder why many Nigerians are so much concerned about this 'finished' country undecided

It looks as if u re definitely reading a diff text or in planet mars wit ur view
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by bakynes(m): 10:47am On Jun 26, 2013
50calibre:

If its Boris, I agree but Theresa? Hell no. If she harbours any ambitions of being PM, then she is highly delusional.

I was about replying this person,Boris Johnson is d favourite under d conservative party to be PM.I have never heard of Theresa May's intension of going for PM who wan vote for am
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by iceberry1759: 10:48am On Jun 26, 2013
dozzybaba: Nonsense! take your country and shove it in your behind...i'm off to beijin.
me Shanghai or Hong Kong
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by ceejay80s(m): 10:51am On Jun 26, 2013
Its high time we rule the world
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by bjdon: 10:55am On Jun 26, 2013
coogar:

who would vote for theresa may?
mikel obi has a better chance of becoming the prime minister than theresa may. her fellow brits can't stand her.
I agree that her chances are slim but she def has the ambition, you just need to follow the political press to see this. Like I said she needs to be seen to be tough on immigration to score points with the media and party. As for Boris Johnson I'll wager you he'll never be Tory leader. He's bumbling big fool style might work for Mayor of London but never for PM.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by signorjohnson(m): 11:00am On Jun 26, 2013
let us wait and see. we will surely retaliate when the scheme comes on board.lubish
embarassed[quote][/quote]
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by ubest1(m): 11:00am On Jun 26, 2013
not just £20,000, all there oil company in 9ja should pay 3x of tax, tompolo, ateke tom, asari, africa, etc in the creek should increase all there local tax and matching ground 4x to frustrate them, bloody ingrate british criminals
coogar:

nigeria should also initiate a pilot scheme that would affect a minority of the british travellers. all those white men that look like perverts, serial killers, drug addicts, etc should be made to pay £20,000 bond. our own scheme would not affect every british traveller as well, just the ones that are high-risk!

finito!
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by dulphines: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2013
UK = Dry Land. Wonder what Nigerians go to find in that poor country!
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 11:07am On Jun 26, 2013
dulphines: UK = Dry Land. Wonder what Nigerians go to find in that poor country!
i still dont understand why people are so keen on uk visa.why on earth will i spend 500k to go and be washing dishes and toilets in another man country,when i can invest 300k here in africa and make 3times profit

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by ballabriggs: 11:10am On Jun 26, 2013
Why am I even laughing at this dumb people shouting "reciprocate" and "GEJ". Fact is if they want to implement it, they will, they have minimal respect for you people and it is why they will even think of such a discriminatory policy. GEJ cannot stop them. The only thing that can stop the policy is putting pressure on MP's and the parliament. Put pressure on MP's as it is a discriminatory policy and one can also see some xenophobic elements in this policy.

Already there is a policy requiring a British sponsor willing to bring his/her spouse into the UK to have an earning of about £18000 annually or the spouse has a savings of about £60,000 over six months or so. A lot of families have been separated today as a result of this immoral policy that gives the rich an upper hand. It is class discriminatory which is typical of the Tories.

Fact is, elections are heating up. David Cameron in 2010 made a lot of noise about cutting immigration from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands which he has failed to achieve. He will therefore hang on to anything to make him appear like he is truly tackling the immigration problem as we head into another election year.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by AlPicapcI(m): 11:12am On Jun 26, 2013
goddamn it!!!!! this briton has use british english to confuse our so called minister, what point is he making??
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Dee60: 11:15am On Jun 26, 2013
It is amazing that many people in our country do not read. I read the original article by the British government. First, it is just a mere proposal by a home secretary. Secondly, the article said that the bond could affect people with 6 months visa, meaning that a large proportion of the regular travelers will not be affected. Labour government tried the same proposal a few years ago and it did not work out. Why all the noise? I am in no way supporting the bond, but we at least should read things before shouting on the roof top.

It is right for FG to have reacted, and now the real discussions will start. I will not be surprised if the move is cancelled. It may just be a move to put pressure on some countries to reduce high rate of absconding!

Where will people see 3,000 pounds as bond? Wont work.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by 50calibre(m): 11:17am On Jun 26, 2013
dulphines: UK = Dry Land. Wonder what Nigerians go to find in that poor country!

Hahaha Yes UK = Dry land but peace, security and value for human lives

NIGERIA = Hell fire, hunger, no electricity, and human lives worth less than $1

Which do you prefer?

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 26, 2013
50calibre:

Hahaha Yes UK = Dry land but peace, security and value for human lives

NIGERIA = Hell fire, hunger, no electricity, and human lives worth less than $1

Which do you prefer?

Abeg permit me to laugh
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 26, 2013
coogar:

they are doing a lot about that - UK wants out of EU. that debate has been going on for a month now. the romanians are everywhere these days taking their jobs and putting a huge strain on the NHS.
You seem to forget that the Romanians and the other eastern block nations flooding into the UK are white and you my friend is black remember blood is thicker than water so the guy is correct in a way.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by kandiikane(m): 11:24am On Jun 26, 2013
Donprah: this is so sad especially in Africa, we have so many people that want to travel..and now £3,000 is so big for a high majority of those immigrants... i think the high commissioner to Nigeria over there in Uk should try and look into this

Look into what? The uk government is trying to cut out immigration especially black/muslim?. The only thing naija commissioner go do is to also charge ridiculous amounts to travel to naija since they have eye on your things.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by 50calibre(m): 11:25am On Jun 26, 2013
adaobi123:

Abeg permit me to laugh
grin grin grin

Lool laugh! Nigeria is the hell fire the bible talked of.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2013
Dee60: It is amazing that many people in our country do not read. I read the original article by the British government. First, it is just a mere proposal by a home secretary. Secondly, the article said that the bond could affect people with 6 months visa, meaning that a large proportion of the regular travelers will not be affected. Labour government tried the same proposal a few years ago and it did not work out. Why all the noise? I am in no way supporting the bond, but we at least should read things before shouting on the roof top.

It is right for FG to have reacted, and now the real discussions will start. I will not be surprised if the move is cancelled. It may just be a move to put pressure on some countries to reduce high rate of absconding!

Where will people see 3,000 pounds as bond? Wont work.
my brother ,forget it ,this policy is most likely to pass through the only thing is that they may reduce the bond price .even if u want to travel to trinidad there is a bond price of about 500k i dont know if they are stopped now.the aim of this new policy is to make sure that those visiting will return and to discourage people that want to overstay.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 26, 2013
50calibre:

E go better with time.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 26, 2013
Most of the people on here attacking this policy have obviously never been abroad and are annoyed because the UK government wants to shut the door finally.

Here in Nigeria, we complain that the FG is not tough enough on illegal immigrants, considering how Nigeriens and Malians are scourges in our society today.

How much more so a society where everything works, a society that is a known target for asylum seekers- they owe it to their citizens to clampdown hard on immigration

Pay your 3k and get it back when you leave... Or stay in your country.

2 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by coogar: 11:30am On Jun 26, 2013
femmyb: You seem to forget that the Romanians and the other eastern block nations flooding into the UK are white and you my friend is black remember blood is thicker than water so the guy is correct in a way.

there are black british people so the colour of skin is not the issue.

50calibre:

stop lying.
nigeria is not exactly the biblical hell fire. hell is about 200 yards away but it's within the same premises. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Dewze(m): 11:33am On Jun 26, 2013
emmysenior:

Mr Peacock or Pocock! Whatever ur name is, I hope you re not insulting us by those fictitious comments of urs?

You are saying the same thing na, abi how you dey even look @ us sef? You think say we no sabi english?

If only our country has a good standard of living that cuts across all walks and spheres of lives. Wetin we go dey find 4 una cold ridden, sun-less, tax-studded country?

you guys shld be reasonable with ur assessment of things. What if it was d other way around. Wht wld Nigerua ve done. This country is setting up protectionism measures 4 themselves and u r here crying fowl.

U ve a situation where Nigerians go there and over stay their terms of agreement, then bcome a costly nuisance to them and u think there is nothing wrong with tht. We r still crying over the negative effects of illigal immigrants from the North in our country Nigeria. Most Nigerians are screaming for the borders to be closed. There is nothing wrong with this. But you feel others shld not protect themselves simply because ur country is poor and theirs is rich.

Advise ur country men to stay put and develop their homeland, then u wont ve to be embarrased by policies like this.

If u r confident tht u ll not overstay ur agreement then pay the money and it ll be given back to u when u keep ur part of the bargain.

Nigeria did this to itself not the UK.

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by 50calibre(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2013
texaco1:
i still dont understand why people are so keen on uk visa.why on earth will i spend 500k to go and be washing dishes and toilets in another man country,when i can invest 300k here in africa and make 3times profit

Typical poor/hungry man, he takes pride in his hunger, 300k is a big money for him. If you weren't a hungry man, you won't talk of investing a paltry 300k, that's not even worth as much as my Mac.

Poverty is a deadly disease. There is a wide gap between the mindset of the rich and the poor.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by dekingboy: 11:37am On Jun 26, 2013
texaco1:
did u read through the op post carefully?the british govt will go ahead with their plans .they are not changing their stand.so what has jonathan done.
many people only read the headlines and start commenting

Did u not read about the imposition of £2000 bond on uk immigrants by GEJ last week.What then do you think is the force that could make oyinbo give nija this kind of attention.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ugwuanyi Rewards Lucy Ejike With N1m And A Plot Of Land (Pics) / Ekiti Election: We Stopped Rally To Prevent Breakdown Of Law And Order- DIG / President Buhari's Twitter Negotiation Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.