Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds (28535 Views)

$15bn Oil Deal: Why Indian High Commissioner Is After Me – Alison-madue / Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner / Dimka’s Coup; Obasanjo, Danjuma Are Cowards – UK High Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by AngelicaDivine(f): 5:43am On Jun 26, 2013
THE British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr Andrew Pocock, has cleared the air on the controversial £3,000 visa bonds for Nigerian visa applicants to the United Kingdom (UK).

Pocock, who met with the Nigeria’s Foreign Minister, Olugbenga Ashiru, on Tuesday, said the visa bond projects was not what was reported in most of the Nigerian media.

He added that the British government “has announced that it intends to undertake a very small scale trial of the use of financial bonds, as a way of tackling abuse in the immigration system – which occurs when some people overstay their visa terms.”

He said “the details of a pilot scheme are still being worked out,” adding that no final decision had been made.

According to Pocock, “if the pilot scheme were to go ahead in Nigeria, it would affect only a very small number of the highest risk visitors.

“The vast majority would not be required to pay a bond. Those paying bonds would receive the bond back if they abided by the terms of their visa.”

He maintained that the travel between two countries was a key part of strong cultural and business relationship, noting that “financial bonds would be focused on only a tiny minority of potential abusers. It would not be a £3,000 visa charge as some media reporting has alleged.”

The commissioner added that with over 180,000 Nigerians applying to visit the UK each year, about 70 per cent or around 125,000 of the figure were successful.

He assured that “as soon as more details of the policy is decided, we
will inform the Nigerian government and public fully and officially, in the spirit of our long standing friendship.”
Source: http://infonigeria24.com/uk-high-commissioner-clears-air-on-3000-visa-bonds/

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Tintinix: 5:51am On Jun 26, 2013
Damage control.

7 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Redoil: 6:16am On Jun 26, 2013
So the britons they fear gej gov't like this.

11 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 6:23am On Jun 26, 2013
Nonsense! take your country and shove it in your behind...i'm off to beijin.

25 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by brixton: 6:38am On Jun 26, 2013
make more sense
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 6:45am On Jun 26, 2013
Racists!!

5 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 26, 2013
dem don cum with diz their english whynin again.........who needs to go to uk anyway....abi malaysia don close down their border??
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by funnyx(m): 7:11am On Jun 26, 2013
Redoil: So the britons they fear gej gov't like this.

Fear for wia? Rather its people like you that are quick to jump to conclusion, the scheme has not been fully developed and may still need to get parliamentary approval yet some Nigerians are already cursing the UK and threatening retaliation but many of you are quick to say that the UK is finished undecided I cannot but wonder why many Nigerians are so much concerned about this 'finished' country undecided

5 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 7:12am On Jun 26, 2013
brixton: make more sense
what sense?cant u see that the ambassador is just playing with words?it is like saying i will kill u but u wont feel the pain

19 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 26, 2013
^^^ welcome back
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 26, 2013
He added that the British government “has
announced that it intends to undertake a very
small scale trial of the use of financial bonds,
as a way of tackling abuse in the immigration
system – which occurs when some people
overstay their visa terms.”

Mr Peacock or Pocock! Whatever ur name is, I hope you re not insulting us by those fictitious comments of urs?

You are saying the same thing na, abi how you dey even look @ us sef? You think say we no sabi english?

If only our country has a good standard of living that cuts across all walks and spheres of lives. Wetin we go dey find 4 una cold ridden, sun-less, tax-studded country?

43 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 7:24am On Jun 26, 2013
Pipsland78: ^^^ welcome back
thank u.but where did i go?i have been around

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 26, 2013
^^^ Aiight....my mistake.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2013
Pipsland78: ^^^ Aiight....my mistake.
onatisi is on leave ,but i have been around and how is end
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2013
brixton: make more sense

What is this one saying?

2 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 26, 2013
texaco1:
onatisi is on leave ,but i have been around and how is end
We are doing ok, thanks.
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Oildichotomy(m): 7:38am On Jun 26, 2013
And that is suppose to pacify us. This is still the same thing that was reported in the media, someone please tell these nincompoops that we speak and understand English here too, Even won a Nobel literary prize out of it . United Kolo my foot

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by bknight: 7:54am On Jun 26, 2013
Just doing his job: Diplomacy! undecided

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by polokor60(m): 8:15am On Jun 26, 2013
funnyx:

Fear for wia? Rather its people like you that are quick to jump to conclusion, the scheme has not been fully developed and may still need to get parliamentary approval yet some Nigerians are already cursing the UK and threatening retaliation but many of you are quick to say that the UK is finished undecided I cannot but wonder why many Nigerians are so much concerned about this 'finished' country undecided
Shut up

8 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Donprah(m): 8:22am On Jun 26, 2013
this is so sad especially in Africa, we have so many people that want to travel..and now £3,000 is so big for a high majority of those immigrants... i think the high commissioner to Nigeria over there in Uk should try and look into this

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 8:27am On Jun 26, 2013
grin
very soon they will make hiv test a requirement for uk visa .
na dat one go be the killer

3 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by funnyx(m): 8:32am On Jun 26, 2013
polokor60: Shut up

E dey pain you tongue

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 8:41am On Jun 26, 2013
funnyx:

bros, what do you understand by the term 'nip off in the 'bud'?

Jona has really done us proud, once in the UK flight issue(or something related, I can hardly remember), the south Africa deportations saga, and more.

1 Like

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 26, 2013
All hail President Jonathan, our foreign policy is on top. First SA deportation saga, Free entry for Diplomatic Passport holders to SA, now countering UK. don't take Naija for a ride

4 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 9:11am On Jun 26, 2013
barcanista: All hail President Jonathan, our foreign policy is on top. First SA deportation saga, Free entry for Diplomatic Passport holders to SA, now countering UK. don't take Naija for a ride
did u read through the op post carefully?the british govt will go ahead with their plans .they are not changing their stand.so what has jonathan done.
many people only read the headlines and start commenting

2 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Donprah(m): 9:17am On Jun 26, 2013
are u saying that JONATHAN opinion doesnt count
texaco1:
did u read through the op post carefully?the british govt will go ahead with their plans .they are not changing their stand.so what has jonathan done.
many people only read the headlines and start commenting
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Bishop4bella(m): 9:20am On Jun 26, 2013
Ok
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 26, 2013
Hmmm I thought they had tried to do something like this before but it didnt come into power.

Anyway sha good luck to them
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by texaco1: 9:23am On Jun 26, 2013
Donprah: are u saying that JONATHAN opinion doesnt count
for goodness sake ,read the story and stop behaving like this
uk will still go ahead with the policy,what has jonathan got to do with this ?is he the brithish prime minister or what?there is nothing jonathan can do and the uk ambassador is insisting the policy will go ahead .
na wah oo for nigerians
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by ayospecie(m): 9:23am On Jun 26, 2013
Why do I have to pay £3,000 cash bond before entering UK to suffer like this?
http://www.ayospecie.com/2013/06/why-do-i-have-to-pay-3000-cash-bond.html
Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by coogar: 9:26am On Jun 26, 2013
Angelica Divine: will inform the Nigerian government and public fully and officially, in the spirit of our long standing friendship.”
Source: http://infonigeria24.com/uk-high-commissioner-clears-air-on-3000-visa-bonds/

nigeria should also initiate a pilot scheme that would affect a minority of the british travellers. all those white men that look like perverts, serial killers, drug addicts, etc should be made to pay £20,000 bond. our own scheme would not affect every british traveller as well, just the ones that are high-risk!

finito!

12 Likes

Re: UK High Commissioner Explains The £3,000 Visa Bonds by funnyx(m): 9:27am On Jun 26, 2013
Imanuelle:

bros, what do you understand by the term 'nip off in the 'bud'?

Jona has really done us proud, once in the UK flight issue(or something related, I can hardly remember), the south Africa deportations saga, and more.

The high commissioner is telling us what we already know and mind you many UK citizens are against this plan and its unlikely it will see the light of the day. The opposition within the UK against this plan is enough to choke it so this have nothing to do with Jonathan's diplomatic prowess.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I’m Not Obasanjo’s Concubine –ezekwesili / Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby / Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.