Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage (10788 Views)

For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by LadyB(f): 12:30pm On May 22, 2006
Some ladies choose to keep their father's surname and bare it together with their husband's surname in marriage.
What are the reasons I WONDER lipsrsealed

LADIES: will you keep to your father's name in marriage?
MEN: what will be your reaction if your wife to be wish to hold on to her father's name ?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Mongue(m): 1:10pm On May 22, 2006
My wife has kept her own name after marriage. I#ve got no problem with it at all.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Ndipe(m): 9:57pm On May 22, 2006
I would not have a problem with it. My mom retained her maiden name along with my dad's last name and pops was ok with it.
As a matter of fact, I always thought it weird that a woman would bear her husband's first and last name, kind of reducing her status to that of the children in the household. You know how kids bear their papa's first and last name. Always thought the wife's one would be different.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by hotangel2(f): 10:48pm On May 22, 2006
uhmmm, i think i'll keep my dad's last name. Join it with my husbands maybe.

it's okay with me. n these days, husbands are okay with it too.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by temi2(m): 11:50pm On May 22, 2006
I believe it has to do with these rich men daughters;they love to show themselves apart from joke silver
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by LadyB(f): 3:35am On May 23, 2006
@temi so is it a pride thin for the rich men daugthers to keep their father's name?

also some of these nollywood big girls like omotola , stella, kate ,have kept their father's name in marriage.

INTERESTING.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by LadyB(f): 3:12am On May 24, 2006
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by mamaput(f): 8:18am On May 24, 2006
Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage

so what about it.
The Nigerian law allows it so why not make use of that law if i want.
Please if the man i marry has a funny name i will not want to answer it.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by kemmy(f): 7:00pm On May 24, 2006
What is wrong in trying to keep your father's name. It could be good for recognition especially in the work place or if you're known by that name in business, why would you want to build a reputation when you can leverage on the one you already have?

Plus, it doesn't take anything away from the guy, does it?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by exu(m): 7:01pm On May 24, 2006
why did you say it's their father's surname- it's their surname, the one that they have carried all their lives.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Seun(m): 9:51pm On May 24, 2006
I won't have a problem with it either. When you are in the eyes of the public, you can't just change your name.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by 1ofall(f): 9:22am On May 26, 2006
For some it has nothing to do with pride, if you've gathered any experience especially professionally, it's simpler to keep your original surname, sure you might gradually introduce your "new" one but personally I couldn't be bothered-except my husband took exception to it, at the end of the day, it's just a name, and you know the saying, "a rose by any other name is still a rose"
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Hotstepper(f): 6:56pm On May 27, 2006
i won't wanna keep ma last name? 4 wat reason?lol, am still gonna be who I am dat is ma lastname remains as per NEE wuteva but only ma hubby's name, come 2 think of it, it would sound so hilarious if i combine both, sum ppl's own sound so good tongue
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Rottweiler(m): 7:52pm On Jun 10, 2006
I think it's all bulls**t! A woman who is not ready to hang on to her husband's name only is not completely ready for marriage! Let her go marry her dad. My wife brought up the issue of adding her dad's name to her name and I told her that I AIN'T TAKING IT! The whole thing is vanity! They want people to know that they are the daughter of so so and so.

Add his name to your name and go back to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nia: 11:25pm On Jun 10, 2006
I wouldn't mind keeping my last name. Or joining it with my husband. I know a friend who only had sisters and no brothers and they all decided to keep their name since they didn't want to get rid of it when they all got married.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Ndipe(m): 11:28pm On Jun 10, 2006
But isnt it ridiculous at the same time that a married woman would still bear her maiden name professionally the prefix, "Ms" attached to the name? Come to think of it, why would you go by "Ms/Miss" professionally and privately, be a "Mrs"? Something is wrong there. Combining your pops last name and your husband's last name is ok with me. My mom did that and pops did not have a problem with it.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by stranger26(f): 5:39am On Jan 22, 2008
Rottweiler:

I think it's all bulls**t! A woman who is not ready to hang on to her husband's name only is not completely ready for marriage! Let her go marry her dad. My wife brought up the issue of adding her dad's name to her name and I told her that I AIN'T TAKING IT! The whole thing is vanity! They want people to know that they are the daughter of so so and so.

Oh my God! This is unbelievable! Why should a woman take her husband's name? I don't even get it! I have my own surname and it's not like I'm property that is transferred from my father's ownership to my husband's. I'm a human with my own lineage, with my own parents and grandparents. I'm not going to take on someone else's name just because I marry him. My name shall stay the same from birth till death. I won't even combine my name with his. I have a surname and he has his own. If I have daughters, they must maintain their father's name too.

Its pure and utter nonsense to make such a big deal about a name. A woman's name has no impact on her readiness for marriage. My father fed me, took care of me, paid my fees and everything so should I renounce him for a man that wants me only because of all the work this father of mine has done for me? If the man had met me in rags, uneducated, uncouth and unmannerly, would he have felt the same attraction to me? Excuse me, o, for being grateful to my dad for all he has done. If a guy isn't happy with that, he can get lost. Only a petty person would be hung up on such a trivial issue; in fact, that alone would tell me a lot about his character.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by RichyBlacK(m): 9:46am On Jan 22, 2008
stranger26:

Oh my God! This is unbelievable! Why should a woman take her husband's name? I don't even get it! I have my own surname and it's not like I'm property that is transferred from my father's ownership to my husband's. I'm a human with my own lineage, with my own parents and grandparents. I'm not going to take on someone else's name just because I marry him. My name shall stay the same from birth till death. I won't even combine my name with his. I have a surname and he has his own. If I have daughters, they must maintain their father's name too.

Its pure and utter nonsense to make such a big deal about a name. A woman's name has no impact on her readiness for marriage. My father fed me, took care of me, paid my fees and everything so should I renounce him for a man that wants me only because of all the work this father of mine has done for me? If the man had met me in rags, uneducated, uncouth and unmannerly, would he have felt the same attraction to me? Excuse me, o, for being grateful to my dad for all he has done. If a guy isn't happy with that, he can get lost. Only a petty person would be hung up on such a trivial issue; in fact, that alone would tell me a lot about his character.

Obviously not a Nigerian, or one of those who have lost touch with the culture. I trust my Nigerian brothers, except under duress (very serious one ooo), they will not marry this type.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by RichyBlacK(m): 9:47am On Jan 22, 2008
Rottweiler:

Spoken like a true son of the soil!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by almondjoy(f): 3:02pm On Jan 22, 2008
Only Nigerians will deal with primitive issues in 2008!

Please your mates are cloning wildlife and plants to help the ecosystem and you are here bickering over women's choices of lasts names. I am glad women are beginning to see that they have identities other than under a "man's" shadow! Good thinking ladies.

Jobless heads of the "under the bridge" households! kiss

Make una go find work abeg!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by deor03(m): 3:08pm On Jan 22, 2008
almondjoy:

Please your mates are cloning wildlife and plants to help the ecosystem and you are here bickering over women's choices of lasts names. I am glad women are beginning to see that they have identities other than under a "man's" shadow! Good thinking ladies.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by uchetobi(f): 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2008
word! totally irrelevant, hello its 2008!
almondjoy:

Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Busta(f): 4:53pm On Jan 22, 2008
nuthin wrong with that.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by atutupoyo(f): 8:48pm On Jan 23, 2008
@ topic I dont see any thing wrong with dat I would like to bear my father's name with my husband's name but it depends on my husband if he says no problem I'll bear it. My mum bears both names and my dad has no problem with it.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by adeboo(f): 9:07pm On Jan 23, 2008
I would love to do that cause i like the double barrel surnames - thats if ma man is cool with it.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Ndipe(m): 3:36am On Jan 24, 2008
Change of mind!

Any woman who insists on retaining her maiden name is not ready to be married. When the man marries you, then you are a part of his life, not your dad anymore. That is why, the tradition of fathers GIVING out their daughter to the man symbolizes a 'transfer of ownership' to the man. If you wont change the name, then stay back home.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Dreloaded(f): 3:47am On Jan 24, 2008
Ndipe:

Change of mind!

Any woman who insists on retaining her maiden name is not ready to be married. When the man marries you, then you are a part of his life, not your dad anymore. That is why, the tradition of fathers GIVING out their daughter to the man symbolizes a 'transfer of ownership' to the man. If you wont change the name, then stay back home.

Have you told your mother this?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by almondjoy(f): 11:46am On Jan 24, 2008
D-reloaded:

Have you told your mother this?

Sharp shooter! You no dey miss at all?

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Lolabbey: 2:34pm On Jan 24, 2008
me i no get problem with that,
i may decide 2 use and if i use it no one will knm/
u ask y?

my fada name na lawal and hubby name na muhammed

so i can easily bear mrs muhammedawwall, grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 24, 2008
I will use both names, all my sisters do and its not about pride, its about having your own identity because you are a person before you become a wife.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 24, 2008
I am not giving up my name! I love it too much!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by chidi1: 4:58pm On Jan 24, 2008
For the risk of sounding masochist, I believe any lady that plans to keep her maiden name is really not interested in becoming a FULL member of her husband's family. (you know it is a lot easier to drop of the name after the hyphen should a misunderstanding arise).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Subscribe To IROKOTV For #3000 For One Year Plan / thank you / She Beat Up Her Son For Writing This On A Book. Is It Right(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.