Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage (10824 Views)

For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Hugger: 3:49pm On Oct 22, 2008
Angolobabe:

some married ladies kept there fathers name for benefit purposes,if there fathers name is well known etc most of my married step-sisters kept my fathers name as it helps them socially and when seeking job,contracts in Nigeria etc.
as for me i took my husbands name after marriage.if i divorce God forbid,i have decided to still keep my married name because i want to have the same surname as my kids.

@hugger,nobody wishes for divorce when married but no body knows tomorrow,anything can happen if its meant to ,know matter how hard u try to prevent or stop it .

Is that what love is about?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Angolobabe(f): 3:53pm On Oct 22, 2008
abeg define LOVE for me as i bi JJC

Hugger:

Is that what love is about?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Hugger: 4:08pm On Oct 22, 2008
Oh I see.

Love has to have a thought of dumping lurking at the back of the partners' heads
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Bblak(f): 5:39pm On Oct 22, 2008
I intend holding on to mine. tongue

No big deal as long as my hubby undastands kiss cool.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Gamine(f): 5:50pm On Oct 22, 2008
I AM HOLDING ON TO MY NAME

Which has both a FIRST NAME and a SURNAME

anyone who doesnt like it, should NOT marry

e no be by fox!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by plappville(f): 7:02pm On Oct 22, 2008
Hugger:

This is a silly discussion. A man who takes such a thing important is not likely to get to the point of marriage with a woman who is nonchallant about it.
I think it's good for my wife to be Mrs. Hugger, not to still be miss maidenname. As much as I am not one for insisting on any such things, a woman who wants to stay as miss maden name should be allowed to be that way after her marriage but I also have a choice as to what kind of woman I marry
Hugger:

Are you married
I didn't realise that one has to plan for divorce when planning for marriage. no wonder many marriages by people with these liberal and westernised minds don't work out in the long run- you already have at the back of your mind that you will divorce some day
Yes i am gladly married.

Do u think that couples who are divorced today wished to a divorce is like death, it gives no sign befor it occures, that i talk about it doesn't mean i am planing to divorce, life is unpredictable.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by abujabooks(f): 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2008
I don't agree with keeping my maiden name.

1 Like

Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by chika98: 8:33pm On Nov 04, 2008
abujabooks:

I don't agree with keeping my maiden name.

Neither do I
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by MrCrackles(m): 8:35pm On Nov 04, 2008
i would take my wife's maiden name when we get married

howzat?!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by chika98: 8:47pm On Nov 04, 2008
MrCrackles:

i would take my wife's maiden name when we get married

howzat?!

Good for you!
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by MrCrackles(m): 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2008
chika98:

Good for you!

grin
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by NaijaWifey(f): 9:16pm On Nov 04, 2008
When I married my hubby, I kept my fathers name. Our son also carries the hyphenated name.

We know clearly where we belong and it is with him and to him! smiley[/color[/b]]
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Angeleyz(f): 9:18pm On Nov 04, 2008
i think its a rubbish idea. all sentimental rubbish.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by iice(f): 9:29pm On Nov 04, 2008
Keeping mine. I love it!
I made it mine, so i ain't losing it to no one cheesy
The best i can do is hyphenate.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by ikamefa(f): 10:01pm On Nov 04, 2008
if my husband does not mind
am going to hyphenate my present last name and his

but if the man, dey find trouble i nor get time and energy for wahala
i go use his name cheesy
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by asitis(f): 10:28pm On Nov 04, 2008
I kept my surname when i got married, it wasn't even an issue at all, it'll depends on the individual
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by MadMax1(f): 2:21pm On Nov 05, 2008
@NaijaWifey
Na u biko kiss
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by JustGood(m): 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2008
ikamefa:

if my husband does not mind
am going to hyphenate my present last name and his

but if the man, dey find trouble i nor get time and energy for wahala
i go use his name cheesy

gotta love that  cheesy
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 05, 2008
I
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by madiba4: 7:12pm On Nov 14, 2010
this so called idea of mordern women is often dragged to ridiculous levels. Look, when your parents GIVES you out in marriage, they have tranfreed your ownership to that man called your husband. Answering his surname does not diminisg your personality or value as an individual in any way. If anything rather it enhances it. Highly respectable and professional western women bear their husbands surname, eg. Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, Sarah Palin etc etc.
Unfortunately, just like in everything else, cultural inferiority comlex and unwarranted femenism syndrome egoistic malady keeps messing with our vanity.
I rest my case.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by MaiSuya(m): 11:52pm On Nov 14, 2010
Naa. . .I can't tolerate that. If she's so keen on retaining her father's name then let her continue --as a single lady! angry
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 15, 2010
If my wife wanted to hyphenate her maiden name with my surname, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It doesn't make our marriage any less secure, or more so if we decide she only bears mine.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by mutter(f): 1:27am On Nov 15, 2010
I never changed my name. It is my name I  was given it at birth and I am used to it. It was never an issue. I think the man should only be bothered about his kids answering his name.
I do not see how it affects our marriage. Sometimes I wish I took his name, other times I`m glad I retained mine. If I were a man Would I have this problem?
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Dubstic: 1:23pm On Nov 16, 2010
Rottweiler i suport u 100% if a woman is not ready to leave her fadas name let her marry her fada or if she is 2 grateful 4 wot d fada has done 4 her she can as wel marry her old boy.since dis women empowerment stuf,women ar beginning to be 2 full of demselvs.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by MaiSuya(m): 2:20pm On Nov 16, 2010
mutter:

I never changed my name. It is my name I  was given it at birth and I am used to it. It was never an issue. I think the man should only be bothered about his kids answering his name.
I do not see how it affects our marriage. Sometimes I wish I took his name, other times I`m glad I retained mine. If I were a man Would I have this problem?

I don't get this. Is it that you bear Mrs [your father's name] while your husband answers Mr [his father's name], and you are both together
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by mystikal(m): 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
I like that hyphen thingy
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by InkedNerd(f): 6:14pm On Nov 16, 2010
@OP: Personally, I would NEVER take on my husbands name [if [b]/[/b]when I ever get married], nor would I hyphenate it. I see no reason as to why I should. A woman is expected to take on a man's name but not vise versa? Oh please, give me a break. I never liked the idea of a woman changing her last name just because she marries some man. If that is the case then the man should do the same or hyphenate his name as well. I'm not much of a marriage person but if I ever do get married, I won't hyphenate nor will I change my last name and if anyone has a problem with my decision, then they can go jump off a roof.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
Inky, take it easy! No one's asking you to change your name, or hyphenate. Never heard you sounding so worked up.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by InkedNerd(f): 11:22pm On Nov 16, 2010
Siena:

Inky, take it easy! No one's asking you to change your name, or hyphenate. Never heard you sounding so worked up.

I wasn't worked up grin. That's just what was on my mind as I was typing. I've just never been a fan of the last name change[b]/[/b]hyphen thing.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by denzel2009: 11:44pm On Nov 16, 2010
Whats the point of getting married if you still intend to be miss kunta kinte?

I think its disrespectful to the man.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by mutter(f): 12:09am On Nov 17, 2010
mai suya. My name identifies me, my Kingship. My roots. My husband as much as I love him is not going to be a part of my roots.
Anyway he also did not see the sense in it. That has nothing to do with togetherness.
I want to think that this adapting of  husband?`s surname has nothing to do with Nigerian tradition. This Surname issue is a colonial introduction. It is also not stipulated in most religions.
Re: Ladies Who Hold On To Their Father's Surname In Marriage by InkedNerd(f): 1:46am On Nov 17, 2010
mutter:

mai suya. My name identifies me, my Kingship. My roots. My husband as much as I love him is not going to be a part of my roots.
Anyway he also did not see the sense in it. That has nothing to do with togetherness.
I want to think that this adapting of  husband?`s surname has nothing to do with Nigerian tradition. This Surname issue is a colonial introduction. It is also not stipulated in most religions.

Yupp, I remember when I was youngster and I was doing some research on western influences on other cultures and they mentions was that one of the things that the westerners either imposed or introduced was the use of surnames and having women take on the surname of their partners.

denzel2009:

Whats the point of getting married if you still intend to be miss kunta kinte?

I think its disrespectful to the man.

So, its not disrespectful towards the woman either?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Is More Important To You As A Man. Your Wife Or Business/work? / Must A Man Share The Same Bedroom With The Wife? / Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.