Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (684300 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by donbabade: 7:35am On Jun 22, 2015
Hello house,
Pardon my ignorance.
Does citizenship extend to the mother of the child given birth to in canada?
If it doesn't is there another way achieve the citizenship status.
For those with helpful info so far. Thanks a lot.
Derailers and confusionist pls keep ur thoughts to yourselves.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by crowngold(m): 7:40am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper, thanks for the info so far. ..wonna ask if it's possible to apply for a visit visa in canada without having a relation or someone that stays in Canada.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 22, 2015
donbabade:
Hello house,
Pardon my ignorance.
Does citizenship extend to the mother of the child given birth to in canada?
If it doesn't is there another way achieve the citizenship status.
For those with helpful info so far. Thanks a lot.
Derailers and confusionist pls keep ur thoughts to yourselves.

The citizenship does not automatically extend to the mother. However, the mother can get citizenship when the child gets older and files for her. I stand corrected though.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:46am On Jun 22, 2015
Most times, people don't have the time to wait before going bk to naija so it's easier to just get travel documents

Phema:
Who are these ignoramus talking about Canada not giving automatic citizenship? It doesn't hurt to ask if you are not sure please.

That was how one almost swore that US does not give automatic citizenship till I had to send him a picture of my son's US passport.

LAX89; why didn't your friend get Naija passoport for her child instead of the travel certificate since you had to go to Ottawa? I understand that is where they have Naija embassy.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:47am On Jun 22, 2015
That's correct. When the child is 18, he or she can file for parents

Phema:

The citizenship does not automatically extend to the mother. However, the mother can get citizenship when the child gets older and files for her. I stand corrected though.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:47am On Jun 22, 2015
Yes you can

crowngold:
Hotstepper, thanks for the info so far. ..wonna ask if it's possible to apply for a visit visa in canada without having a relation or someone that stays in Canada.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:49am On Jun 22, 2015
Thank you for the analysis. My family friend that came to give birth, budgeted 10k dollars and she ended up paying less than 4k and it's CS ooo nd in Toronto. People undermine CANADA and run to the US yet Canada is better, cheaper etc

naijaFrank:
As for speed of getting the passport...the US may be slightly faster if you are in a big city and can pay extra for same day service.

If you are in a small town and apply at the postal service, it could take 6 weeks.

In Canada, you visit the passport office and its mailed back to your address....again within 20 days.

Canada will issue a 3 years passport for child and you will have to renew at the consulate overseas to get a 5 years passport after it expires . that takes a minimum of 20 working days from the canadian consulate in Shanghai (Lagos is usually very slower in processing anything, so plan 2 months ahead)

Basically. Canada sends your passport application back to passport canada for processing...

The US normally issues passports at its embassies.

However the important issue is obtaining your childs birth certificate. In canada, the hospital will give you a slip with some information and you go online to apply...It will be mailed to your address within 15 days.

In the U S, hospitals will also give you a temporary notification of birth then submit the birth records to the county court. You can pick up the original there after 2 weeks. So birth certificates are processed pretty much within the same timeline.

i hope this helps clarify.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper:

Most times, people don't have the time to wait before going bk to naija so it's easier to just get travel documents

I guess getting Naija passport in Canada takes awhile. There is a same-day service in the US. All you need do is go early.

How are you these days? family?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper:
Thank you for the analysis. My family friend that came to give birth, budgeted 10k dollars and she ended up paying less than 4k and it's CS ooo nd in Toronto. People undermine CANADA and run to the US yet Canada is better, cheaper etc

I'm beginning to see that. . .

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:52am On Jun 22, 2015
Thank you for this. Thank God someone that have experienced both have analyzed it.

As soon as the baby is born, everything about the baby's health is free. Even the visit to the Dr nd first immunization they recommend before you take the baby out of the country is free in Canada but not in the US

naijaFrank:
You can still get citizenship by birth in both countries. However, Canada is considering changing the law because of Chinese mostly, Even if they do debate it in congress, It would take years before it becomes law.

We had our first in Toronto and the second in Texas. Go with Canada.

If your child is born premature and requires intensive care in america, you will go bankrupt. Canada however automatically covers its citizens... So you only pay for your wife.

Also, Canada is more civilised. people are super nice and when the child grows, they will not be required to pay taxes unless they reside in Canada. whereas, the Yanks will still take their tax even if you live in the moon.

Now to the meat:

The way it works in North america, is you find a doctor first or a hospital can recommend affiliated doctors but you need to have a doctor before hospitals will sign u up. doctors usually prefer to see patients and know their history early before the 32nd week of pregnancy ~ so go early to avoid rejections.

average cost of doctor
Toronto $2000
Texas $3000

average cost of hospital
Toronto $4000 natural birth
Texas $5000 natural birth, $7000 C section

If C section budget another $1500 for anaesthesiologist

If complication and baby is removed as a premature budget $2000 a day for intensive care in US and free in Canada. Baby can be there for months... luckily, ours stayed only 6 days in Texas... was not funny on the wallet.

The hospital will try to push Medicaid on you...if you touch american insurance, hospital is happy...they bill insurance company more but you will never get a US visa again. You are not qualified for this as a non resident...beware.

cost of living is similar

rent $1600 per month unfurnished for short lease 2 bedroom

2500 a month furnished

however, toronto has public transport so you can take the bus or subway to most places. america you drive or taxi...thats a fortune right there.

We've done both... If you have the choice, go with Canada. We regretted not returning to Canada for our second.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by justwise(m): 8:53am On Jun 22, 2015
LAX89:
[b]@eiete

You still don't get it, and I cant help you any further. You've NO idea what you're talking about, and you seem to lack the capacity to comprehend it. Your sole aim here is not to comprehend facts, but to prove that you're right and I'm wrong, you CANNOT achieve that because you don't have the facts. Remain blessed.

Again, you fail to understand what you read and pasted. Children born to diplomats are treated differently because of their parents being a 'Diplomat' and having 'Diplomatic Immunity'. A diplomat can commit a crime in a host country and not be prosecuted, wherever 'Diplomats' are (their cars, house etc.) are considered an extension of their home country. For this reason, their children born in a host country; Canada, USA, UK etc., are treated as if they were born in the 'Diplomat's (their parent'S) home country, and as such are not automatic citizens of their host country - Canada, USA, UK etc.

STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW![/color][/b]

100% correct
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 8:56am On Jun 22, 2015
You can also get same day if you go early but from Toronto that's 5 hrs drive. When I had my son, I got his own the same day cuz i went there.

Family is good and I thank God for his blessings everyday. How are you?

Phema:

I guess getting Naija passport in Canada takes awhile. There is a same-day service in the US. All you need do is go early.

How are you these days? family?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper:

You can also get same day if you go early but from Toronto that's 5 hrs drive. When I had my son, I got his own the same day cuz i went there.

Family is good and I thank God for his blessings everyday. How are you?

Oh, Toronto? Thought it was Ottawa.

Very well dear. Regards.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:00am On Jun 22, 2015
No, the embassy is in Ottawa nd from Toronto to Ottawa is about 5 hrs drive. I now heard some embassy officials comes once or twice to Toronto for services

Phema:

Oh, Toronto? Thought it was Ottawa.

Very well dear. Regards.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper:

No, the embassy is in Ottawa nd from Toronto to Ottawa is about 5 hrs drive. I now heard some embassy officials comes once or twice to Toronto for services

Gotcha. smiley
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2015
Dunno how it works in the US but the child does not pay when renewing his or her first issued passport.

That 24 hrs issuing of Canadian passport is available if you go in.person as my family friend did so plus she got the sons birth certificate within 5 days

Phema:

Gotcha. smiley
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OGreene: 9:13am On Jun 22, 2015
Hotstepper:
Have u gotten your student visa yet? Nobody will be screening you to know if you are at the airport. Your school medical will also cover your delivery as well
Good luck

i havent applied for the student visa. I needed to be sure it will work out the way i plan.

You didnt include your email addy.

Also at what point do they conduct the medical screening i have been hearing of?

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by walosha(f): 9:16am On Jun 22, 2015
the tread is awesome shaa
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by donbabade: 9:21am On Jun 22, 2015
Thank you so much
Phema:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 22, 2015
Yes. Citizenship can be petitioned when the child becomes an adult and is financially capable of supporting the parents.

although in our case, we are looking at saving cost of tuition when they come of age for university and wont have to deal with visa issues and limited work opportunities globally. Basically, we want to give them the same opportunity as everyone else without being handicapped by being Nigerian. We are fine with our naija kpali and the drama that comes with it, but our kids will have a second option if needed in the future.

We did a bit of research and found out that Brazil offers permanent residency and citizenship to both parents of a brazilian child. So if you want automatic 2nd passport , brazil is a good choice.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by cgese: 10:21am On Jun 22, 2015
Hello everybody. Thanks for the info on this thread. Please I have a question, how long does it take to obtain a visit visa. I heard sometimes it takes months. I am considering canadan though I already have a US visa, just don't want a situation whereby my passport gets stuck with the Canadian embassy and I am due to live naija in October
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 22, 2015
Hmm... Nawao ppl wey get money and ppl talking. Make una show us d way o... And who is dat guy dat says 9ja is shaky...na u dey shake am Na ppl like una dey pray for d down fall of nigeria but God will surely surprise u ppl. Nigeria will get better n ppl abroad will pay tru their noise to come back. And pls madam or sir. What is wrong giving birth to ur baby here in Nigeria? Are u jus after their international citizenship or what else? I like u to know that being a citizen to wat eva country don't guarantee d good future of a child o the only tin dat does it God and education. There r goo hospitals here. U traveling to have ur baby won't stop u from having it tru CS o...all u need is God and proper up bringing of ur child. Shikina!!!
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Debiks: 10:39am On Jun 22, 2015
Sorry for derailing dnt knw the appropiate place to ask this question.....@all... Pls anyone with info abt Msc in Canada... The last time I tried I was told to get a supervisor who will supervise my research work in canada before my admission could be process..... I'll appreciate anyone with the info to guide me
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by justwise(m): 10:42am On Jun 22, 2015
Debiks:
Sorry for derailing dnt knw the appropiate place to ask this question.....@all... Pls anyone with info abt Msc in Canada... The last time I tried I was told to get a supervisor who will supervise my research work in canada before my admission could be process..... I'll appreciate anyone with the info to guide me

https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Flasysam(m): 10:49am On Jun 22, 2015
Pls what are d prerequisite for travelling to canada,,, what is the cost,, am a medical laboratory scientist,,, graduated from imo state university,,, whats my job oppourtunity dia,, also want to study med/surg dia,, what are d reqiurement and d cost. Thanks
Hotstepper:
Honey86, who told u Canada doesn't give automatic citizenship? Nd who told you Mr man that people from Canada goes to US to give birth? Datz pure lie, rather its US people that goes to CANADA cuz Canadian passport is danger free. @OP, giving birth in Canada is not dat expensive, budget 10k dollars or less. Passport takes nothing less than 14 workings days, so they say but u get it faster and birth certificates takes 3 weeks. From da hospital, the baby will be given temporary health card nd the permanent one will be sent to the Addy u will provide nd social insurance no as well.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Debiks: 10:51am On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 22, 2015
@ Cgese

Canada is known for their heavy backlogs and extended processing times. Your passport can be with them for well over a month sometimes.

However, if they dont return it before your scheduled travel time.. you may write the embassy and request it to be returned.

They will return it. if still not processed, they will ask you to bring back when you return to resume processing
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 22, 2015
naijaFrank:
Yes. Citizenship can be petitioned when the child becomes an adult and is financially capable of supporting the parents.
although in our case, we are looking at saving cost of tuition when they come of age for university and wont have to deal with visa issues and limited work opportunities globally. Basically, we want to give them the same opportunity as everyone else without being handicapped by being Nigerian. We are fine with our naija kpali and the drama that comes with it, but our kids will have a second option if needed in the future.

We did a bit of research and found out that Brazil offers permanent residency and citizenship to both parents of a brazilian child. So if you want automatic 2nd passport , brazil is a good choice.

Heard so too. Just not very comfortable with non English speaking countries. Brazil is worth considering though. . .

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (167) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.