Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,768 members, 7,827,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria (58833 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Jul 05, 2013
saxywale:
my thoughts too. How I wish nairaland had age verification through credit card before registration.

Lol . . . It might not even be about age, it might just be some "Attention deficiency", it makes me sick to read such a comment from someone that is old/matured enuf to be online and mingle with people.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
I'm loving this thread.all the eye opening stories.
God help me my kids will all be borne abroad at the best hospitals America can provide.
Lord pls help me
Shivering in fear at some stories I'm reading here
Is Nigeria really this far behind?

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . . It might not even be about age, it might just be some "Attention deficiency", it makes me sick to read such a comment from someone that is old/matured enuf to be online and mingle with people.
dear pls don't get worked up over the thought process o that mor.on
I bet he's the kind of mor.on that will be busy hammering away on top of a #200 ashawo while his wife is suffering in the labor room to deliver their child.and in his slow mind he'll be thinking
when did childbirth become a big deal
and he has the effrontery to call someone else anuofia.while in the real sense of the word,he's the bush animal here.
I don vex.mtchew.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Of course there is a time for CS but electing to do them so your punny doesn't get bigger or out of convenience is ridiculous. undecided
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
lorretta u: dear pls don't get worked up over the thought process o that mor.on
I bet he's the kind of mor.on that will be busy hammering away on top of a #200 ashawo while his wife is suffering in the labor room to deliver their child.and in his slow mind he'll be thinkingand he has the effrontery to call someone else anuofia.while in the real sense of the word,he's the bush animal here.

Get worked over someone with that kinda mind? That will be a waste of time and energy . . .Lol, but thanks
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by JaaizTech: 8:08pm On Jul 05, 2013
It is so sad, that we are still so far behind even many african countries are better of these days. My wife has delivered twice with no issues except for the tear. But i have to say Nigerian nurses have a terrible character, they are so rude, that you feel like throwing up on them. They show next to no emotions, they treat pregnant women like whining spoilt brats. Honestly, something needs to be done about Nigerian nurses. The other issue that worries me is the theatre rooms and patient wards, some of the theatre rooms are so unkempt that you fear you are in a slaughter room. They are usually dull looking with dirty floor, in fact sometimes they smell.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
tellwisdom:

Hey bro. what have i said wrong?? That someone died doesn't stop me from drinking beer today with a plate of nkwobi undecided

Ofcourse and i pray to God that you will not have to experience what the husband, brothers, sons and friends of woman that dies during childbirth have had to go through . . . One love, Pal!
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by PedroJP(m): 8:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
Dis matter no concern me. But wetin dey there,muscles dey around waist wella, y dem de find am difficult to push out at once ?
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
Kudos to all the mothers and mothers to be out there you guys rock, on behalf of all the men on NL i say thank you for all your sactifices.

6 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tellwisdom: 8:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Ofcourse and i pray to God that you will not have to experience what the husband, brothers, sons and friends of woman that dies during childbirth have had to go through . . . One love, Pal!

Amen and you too cool cool
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by kukus01(m): 8:45pm On Jul 05, 2013
what I read on nairaland these days are appalling, I av been to the UK and US several times. I refused my wife giving birth out naija she gave birth to our son here in naija hospital its a wonderful experience from the ante natal to child birth the care she got was whao so y all d bull shit about naija hospitals. I did not break my acc to pay d bills, Abuja for that matter.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by BCJAY(f): 9:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
Mine was 2years ago at island maternity. I was carrying twins, i got to d labour room and the nurses and midwives cared less. I shouted but no gud response only 4 a student doctor to be asking me how many abortions have you done? He stood there looking at me when i pushed and pushed one of d girls came out, imagine d doctor ran out of d labour room shouting d baby is coming. The midwife came carried d baby away and left me with one baby inside me and the placenta, it was when d doctor on duty came in and ask but you said dis lady has put to bed? They said yes, he took my file and went tru it he then told them it remains one inside. He now took over and passed oxygen into my nose and a drip into my body, he then gave me a serious tire cos d other girl is breech. My people i went tru hell but with God's help and d doctor i delivered d girls without cs but it was a bitter experience i don't like to remember.

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tess22: 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
Reading these stories is scary indeed. Maternal care is almost non-existent in Nigeria. Our medical professionals are extremely rude and perpetually angry. I had my baby almost 3 years ago in Glasgow and I was treated like a queen by the white nurses. They were so cheerful, understanding and so caring. I don't think any Nigerian nurse or doctor could do that (btw I have 2 doctors and 2 nurses in my family). Its just our attitude towards life, we are too nonchalant and mean.

I hope something is done soon to curb the excesses of our medical professionals. Being in labour is already a very difficult time, why make it worse with rudeness and impatience?

Sometime I really get tired of Nigerian, we are our own worst enemies, not our leaders!
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
chaircover: This thread brings back memories of the birth of my first.

I remember the whole thing going smoothly and I was pain free thanks to an epidural and then decided to be macho and not request for a top up because I wanted an idea of what labour pains felt like, but suddenly things went wrong and before I could say jack Robinson, the midwife had rung the bell, doctors rushed into the room and me and the whole bed were rushed at high speed along the corridor into theatre. The midwife was sitting at the edge of my bed whilst it was being wheeled along the corridor with her hand up there trying to get the cord off the babys neck or something.

To add to the problem, Because the epidutal was wearing off and they didnt have time to top it up, they gave me GA and took the baby out. I still feel shivers when I think about it all and the speed in which things went so wrong.

Aftercare - one stupidd Nigerian nurse was on night duty and I asked for pain relief. First it took her ages to answer the bell and then She told me that i should try and bear the pain, when infact the surgeons has written me up for pain relief. eventually she came back and almost threw the suppository at me . . . It was my first delivery then and I was young and inexperienced. If anyone tries that with me again they will be collecting their P45. stupidd woman. angry . .meanwhile these are the types that desperately need the job and sending all their wages to their 7 children and jobless husband back in Nigeria but they misbehave on the job.

i feel you about that P45 thing, next time (God willing) if i have a useless midwife attend to me like the idiot who was very mean and nonchalant to me the night before I gave birth - I will make sure that even the local newspaper gets wind of the behaviour.

My birth experience was very good (apart from that Nigerian Midwife on night duty) i was looked after very well. i did have to have an emergency CS as the 6 hours of pushing did nothing and baby was in distress. I lost a lot of blood but me and baby were fine after a few days.

One bit of advice I will give is make sure you rest if you have a CS and epidural cos I was driving less than a week after having the CS and two years later I still feel the pain in my back.

I'm not trying to make this a Nigeria V UK thing but in all honesty I had a very high risk pregnancy and labour and I know that I would have died had I not come back here.

As for this lady that died - i'm kind of in shock cos i found her video just 3 months ago about how to tie gele and then this week i'm reading she is dead. very sad - i wonder if she was AS and they didn't take that into consideration when they gave her the dose to make her go under.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 05, 2013
BCJAY: Mine was 2years ago at island maternity. I was carrying twins, i got to d labour room and the nurses and midwives cared less. I shouted but no gud response only 4 a student doctor to be asking me how many abortions have you done? He stood there looking at me when i pushed and pushed one of d girls came out, imagine d doctor ran out of d labour room shouting d baby is coming. The midwife came carried d baby away and left me with one baby inside me and the placenta, it was when d doctor on duty came in and ask but you said dis lady has put to bed? They said yes, he took my file and went tru it he then told them it remains one inside. He now took over and passed oxygen into my nose and a drip into my body, he then gave me a serious tire cos d other girl is breech. My people i went tru hell but with God's help and d doctor i delivered d girls without cs but it was a bitter experience i don't like to remember.
What a horrible xprience!
Look at ur bundles of joy and thank God.
Most of our nurses r paid peanut. Some unleash their frustrations on d line of duty.Some r road side nurses.even drs r not left out. I can remember my cous that was paid 40k as a medical dr around 2002/3 in ph. She was givin an option. Her salary will go up if she agree to do abortion.ie they pay those that do abortion more than those that don't.its a private hospital.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Ilaje44(m): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
tnwmag.com:
@OP, great topic. The lady has been on my mind since I heard the news of her passing. I had actually met her before and she seemed a pleasant lady.

I guess something that got me thinking about Ewar's case is why was she under general anaesthesia? I have never had CS but from what I understand, women are given an epidural which numbs the pain from waist down but the mother is aware throughout the procedure. I am just wondering why general anaesthesia was used in this case. Is this the norm in Nigeria? Can a doctor please explain why?

I have also heard that most Teaching Hospitals give all women episiotomy during delivery irrespective of circumstance. I have confirmed from a few doctor friends and it seems to be a standard process. Again, can a doctor explain why? While I was having my first child, the doctor was trying hard to make sure that I did not have a single tear and so it is quite hard to understand why the women are just cut anyway in Nigeria.

Whether we want to admit it or not, our healthcare is in shambles and I don't entirely blame the care givers. My family think I am OTT but I have informed that them even if I have a headache, they should not take me to a hospital in Nigeria. I have lost quite a few close people to negligence in that country. Truth is Ewar stood a good chance no matter her condition if she was elsewhere but Nigeria. Sad but the absolute truth.

I wouldnt want to go to a nigerian hospital if I have the choice. Emergency is unknown to them over there. While I was there last year, I had a scorpion sting in the dead of the night. I went to a private hospital, they were all sleeping. I was asked to fill a form etc. etc. It took ages before I was administered the antiserum. Nigeria is a service desert. And most of them are also empathically bankrupt like that person called TELLWISDOM.

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2013
Uhmmm... I am scared oooooooooo.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by LCDD: 9:46pm On Jul 05, 2013
Policewoman: I would advise those going for C.S to request for an epidural. It makes the whole thing less painful and quick also. But sha make sure your husband finds out if they have a good anaesthetologist. For Abuja, DIFF, Nisa Premier, Zankli are ok, but they are very expensive (some C.S can cost as much as N1M)or Asokoro, Maitama or Garki general hospitals. Abuja clinics too is very good. One of the best.

true talk ma sis, they are good but very expensive. How many people can afford it?
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by LCDD: 9:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
What a horrible xprience!
Look at ur bundles of joy and thank God.
Most of our nurses r paid peanut. Some unleash their frustrations on d line of duty.Some r road side nurses.even drs r not left out. I can remember my cous that was paid 40k as a medical dr around 2002/3 in ph. She was givin an option. Her salary will go up if she agree to do abortion.ie they pay those that do abortion more than those that don't.its a private hospital.

nurses in all federal hospitals and healthcare centers are well paid as compared to other civil servants in nigeria.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by k4kenny(f): 10:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
Ok, I'm d late comer here cheesy. Had both my babies here in Nigeria in d same hospital (R Jolad) and I must say their service was impeccable smiley.

With my first, I opted for elective CS cos of d baby's size and fear dey catch M̶̲̅ε̲̣ grin. Was awake throughout d 30mins surgery and I felt them bring my boy out. That first sound was priceless cheesy. Recovery was nasty, Dunno why naija doctors don't give strong pain killers. Just paracetamol :-{ . Thank God for quick recovery.

With my 2nd, during my antenatal, I repeatedely told them I didn't want another CS, they told M̶̲̅ε̲̣ to consider the possibility as my first baby wasn't 2 yrs at the time. They also told M̶̲̅ε̲̣ the couldn't induce labour as the internal scars were probably not healed.

When I finally went into labour on d 12th of january, they took M̶̲̅ε̲̣ into a private ward and administered an injection that wound soften my cervix. After 9 hours with only 3cm dilation, they decided to manually dilate d cervix with a water balloon thingy (dunno d name of d procedure), hurt like crazy. That took the dilation to 5cm, that's when I started to feel the REAL labour pains. They kept giving M̶̲̅ε̲̣ d injection to soften my cervix (each was more painful than d last) finally at 12.05 on d 13th of jan, I was finally fully dilated and ready to push. My lil princess arrived at 12.15am after a lil episiotomy.

The nurses and doctors were rily professional and encouraging M̶̲̅ε̲̣ all thru(even though I was beind a total diva grin). They respected my wishes of not wanting CS and did all they could when d cervix wasn't dilating even though they couldn't induce d labour
My naija experience wasn't bad o. Some hospitals here are really good, wonder why some heartless health practitioner would turn a joyous event to a tragedy cos of negligence.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by kunle4toyeyaho: 10:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
I had my baby through cs in luth,I wasn't expecting much from dem because of d badd storiees I had been told from xperienced mothers(though they didn't use luth) but I was pleasantly surprised by d care n d attention I received from d nurses and doctors they were proffessional and efficient I and my baby were in tip top condition b4 we were discharged,so I recommend luth for any one livin in lagos(though d hubby should be ready for a very strenious experience cos they wil run test upon test to make sure dt both mother n child are ok)

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by damiso(f): 10:17pm On Jul 05, 2013
aysometin: AwwwDamiso how did the Nigerian midwife get away with that? My God. Do you think this is a Nigerian thing or what? Why are we some of our healthworkers so laidback and generally nasty? I bet she brought the attitude from a hospital in Nigeria. Thhank God you and your baby survived.

Mrs Flawless, I love your story because it gives a basis for comparison. Please how can you carry out a surgery without any machines to monitor heart rate etc. Nigeria has such a long way to go and I am convinced if it was elsewhere, Nike's story will be different. I guess if you don't have a complication free pregnancy in Naija, your chances are slim.

For me I had my 1st baby at Basildon hospital, my midwife was cool from another african couNtry I guess. On my birthday I was 34 weeks and went for the regular checkup and she found out I had preclampsia, I was rushed to the hospital and the kind of care I got was amazing. I was at the intensive care unit with about 3 midwifes and one consultant attending to me. They were trying to get my BP down so they can bring out the baby. The consultant even said to me ' I heard today is your birthday so I will make sure you have the baby today', they were so nice. I was rushed to the thheatre when they sensed the baby's heartbeat had dropped at about 11.15pm. After all the preparation the consultant said what's the time? They told him 11.45pm, he said we must have this baby today. He started working and was asking of the time at intervals, he brought out the baby and asked for the time and they told him 11.58pm and he smiled, everybody started clapping. My hubby told me all these because I was to weak to even notice, I just heard the clap and thought it was because my boy was born. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful to that team. My son and I share the same birthday. If I was in Nigeria, I can't say for sure what my story would have been.The level of care is worlds apart, let' s forget the faciltieS available, why are our health workers sometimes insensitive without going the extra mile? Even when they find themselves in a different environment like the UK?

My husband being the person that he is, wanted to take it up but I just told him to leave it.I was like you know naija sentiment now they will say we blocked her means of livelihood. My husband said typical naija behaviour of not holding people accountable but I guess our joy at our lil princess just eroded the anger and we dropped it.My husband actually got cards and wines for the other oyinbo midwives cos they were awesome.She was the one on night duty and my labour was through the night so the other midwife was the one who took over at 8am.I can never forget that lady her name was Louise.My daughter was born 9.19 am on 19/09/09 and she made such a fuss about it.She made me feel soo at ease where the foolish naija woman felt I was being lazy.Its by force she gave me gas sef.Funny enough one of my aftercare nurses was Ghanian and she was soo nice and funny.She kept joking dont worry you will soon go home to get fufu, I know this mash and peas no do you cheesy.

I think naija midwives are that way cos maybe they themselves went through labour with lil or no pain relief and no holding hands and no husbands.So they feel en yo (you are being pampered) esp when they see a naija name.I dont want to believe they are like that with othrr races.My second birth was a strictly all white team and my mum and husband were with me this time.Till tomorrow, my mum tells everyone the story and adds plenty curses to naija leaders grin grin grin when I told her that treatment was NHS and not even private care.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
If you are a pregnant lady here, pls exit the thread..
You don't have to create unecessary fear for yourself..

Fear is worse than the worst quack doctor..

Someone is even suggesting N1million naira for CS...lol
..and I begin to wonder how the poor give birth succesfully without even spending N1000 note.

Just live your life well while you are pregnant, do the necessary exercise, eat well, and build a good relationship with the hospital staff/mid wife etc...

..and also do not forget your God, the giver of life/children..
Those going to churches for the fruit of the womb and safe delivery are not dumb o...
smiley

5 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
damiso:

My husband being the person that he is, wanted to take it up but I just told him to leave it.I was like you know naija sentiment now they will say we blocked her means of livelihood. My husband said typical naija behaviour of not holding people accountable but I guess our joy at our lil princess just eroded the anger and we dropped it.My husband actually got cards and wines for the other oyinbo midwives cos they were awesome.She was the one on night duty and my labour was through the night so the other midwife was the one who took over at 8am.I can never forget that lady her name was Louise.My daughter was born 9.19 am on 19/09/09 and she made such a fuss about it.She made me feel soo at ease where the foolish naija woman felt I was being lazy.Its by force she gave me gas sef.Funny enough one of my aftercare nurses was Ghanian and she was soo nice and funny.She kept joking dont worry you will soon go home to get fufu, I know this mash and peas no do you cheesy.

I think naija midwives are that way cos maybe they themselves went through labour with lil or no pain relief and no holding hands and no husbands.So they feel en yo (you are being pampered) esp when they see a naija name.I dont want to believe they are like that with othrr races.My second birth was a strictly all white team and my mum and husband were with me this time.Till tomorrow, my mum tells everyone the story and adds plenty curses to naija leaders grin grin grin when I told her that treatment was NHS and not even private care.

my daughter was born in Basildon as well, after all the horror stories about that hospital my experience was excellent, cannot say the same for my experiences at Queens (maternity triage)
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Temismith(f): 10:49pm On Jul 05, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You dey vex oh . . Lol, i am sure he is a kid, wait till he is married and see the pain a woman goes thru during labor, he will appreciate a woman more.
seriously, dat guy needs to return to yaba left soon! Hes really constituting a nuisance! Cant imagine a human being said dat! I will agree wit u dat hes a kid, lets pray he grows up and feel sorry for wat he sed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Couldn't Say A Word When I Saw This (photo) / Who Is To Blame? / I Just Saw CONDOM In My Husband's Wallet, Am I Suppose To Just Overlook It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.