Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria (58801 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by kendraloops(f): 10:50pm On Jul 05, 2013
tnwmag.com:

Thanks for clarifying. The point about episiotomy is not clear. Are you saying, it is only when instruments need to be used that an episiotomy becomes necessary. I have heard some teaching hospitals just cut all women o. I sincerely hope it was an exaggeration.
Its not an exaggeration at all. Gave birth at Mother n Child hospital in Akure. As I was brought to the delivery room, one of the midwives examined me with her fingers and encouraged me to push. The other was in a hurry to change shift n just cut me up (seems she was in charge). While sewing me up later on, I wasn't given any pain killers. She was just inserting d needle n 'thread' like a pro while I was there howling in CRAZY pain. Met other new mums later in d nursery n they told me they also went thru d same tin.
Wasn't like my baby was too big or something. The midwife said something like 'we cut up most women for their first vaginal delivery'. Donno if that's standard procedure though.
Took about 2 months to fully recover from the tears. I even have a scar down there.
So much 4 childbirth in Nigeria.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tnwmagcom: 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
kukus01: what I read on nairaland these days are appalling, I av been to the UK and US several times. I refused my wife giving birth out naija she gave birth to our son here in naija hospital its a wonderful experience from the ante natal to child birth the care she got was whao so y all d bull shit about naija hospitals. I did not break my acc to pay d bills, Abuja for that matter.

Oga, just thank God. Childbirth can be easy and uncomplicated and when that is the case, even a husband can birth the baby no issues. The problem with Nigeria is when there are serious complications with the birth - our doctors in Nigeria don't seem able to grapple with these complications or our facilities are not up to scratch? I really don't know what it is. In the UK and US and other western countries, if you have your baby from 26 weeks - they will try to save your baby. I know two families that this happened to and their kids are very fine now but in Nigeria, a birth at 26 weeks - they won't bother trying to save the child. Why? They don't have the facilities to care for a baby that young. The prayer for everyone giving birth in Nigeria should be that their birth should be a straightforward one because when story enters, its only God and a very well trained doctor that can help. If the mother dies during childbirth in the UK, an inquiry is launched the same Jonathan launches inquiry into every small or big yawa in Nigeria. That way mistakes are learnt from, if it was due to negligence, then the people who are responsible are dealt with accordingly. It is not treated as yet another "God knows best case".

I am not being sentimental o, I lost my auntie to childbirth in Nigeria many years ago. Till today, I don't what caused it. Her kids have had to grow up without their mother and it is sad that many years on, it is still happening.

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tnwmagcom: 11:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
kendraloops:
Its not an exaggeration at all. Gave birth at Mother n Child hospital in Akure. As I was brought to the delivery room, one of the midwives examined me with her fingers and encouraged me to push. The other was in a hurry to change shift n just cut me up (seems she was in charge). While sewing me up later on, I wasn't given any pain killers. She was just inserting d needle n 'thread' like a pro while I was there howling in CRAZY pain. Met other new mums later in d nursery n they told me they also went thru d same tin.
Wasn't like my baby was too big or something. The midwife said something like 'we cut up most women for their first vaginal delivery'. Donno if that's standard procedure though.
Took about 2 months to fully recover from the tears. I even have a scar down there.
So much 4 childbirth in Nigeria.

That is really scary though. Because she is in a hurry? God help us o. Thank God it was only an episiotomy, it could have been worse.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
tellwisdom:

I wont marry you even if i was offered for free. My yansh fine pass ur face undecided #Spits angry
oh no.I wasn't suggesting that u marry me.how could I?as ugly as I am.
I saw your pic last month on front page here.when you were deported from saudi arabia for being too handsome. cool

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by zibiah: 11:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
@acidosis as if u know wat is going thru my mind right now. Am heavy and am almost due n d fear griping me as am reading dis thread is sometin else. My hubby has begged me to stop reading it but I can't help mysef. I keep coming back hoping to read more pleasant experiences
So far with God's grace n mercy my pregnancy has been smooth n without any incidence n I jst pray n hope dat it continues like dis even at delivery without any complications.I read a lot n keep asking my doc for clarification on any issue dat could arise n he has been forthcoming in his response.....I jst hope he displays same competence, due deligence proper care during my delivery
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 11:39pm On Jul 05, 2013
Temismith: seriously, dat guy needs to return to yaba left soon! Hes really constituting a nuisance! Cant imagine a human being said dat! I will agree wit u dat hes a kid, lets pray he grows up and feel sorry for wat he sed.

Lol . . .Cant imagine reading such at all
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by kendraloops(f): 11:46pm On Jul 05, 2013
My sister, don't bother ur pretty head at all. Simply ask God for favour. While in labour, my hubby held my hands n prayed continually n I REALLY saw d Hand of God. Just can't explain it. Pray n try to save ur energy for d real deal (pushing). Take strolls within d hospital premises, that's if ur allowed( I did that a lot n it helped cos there was always sometin I'd see that'l distract me from d pain even if just for some seconds).
God be with u. We shall hear good news soon ooo, amen. Congrats in advance

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by othenok(f): 12:01am On Jul 06, 2013
I had my second baby thru elective C-Section at Lagos State Mother & Child Hosp, Gbaja Surulere. The experience was awesome.
When i was wheeled into the Theatre i was like "Wow!".The gadgets i saw where up to date. The doctors were really very kind. They actually educated me on the various forms of anesthetics, their pros and cons and asked me to make a choice. I choose Spinal cos I dey fear make person sleep no come wake up again.
They asked me to relax when they were ready to give me the "Spinal". Didn't even know when it was given.
Was gisting with the docs till they brought my baby out. Don't even think it took up to 30mins.
The only bad experience I had were the short staffed Nurses and their nasty attitude.
I'ld recommend the hospital but my only fear is that the standard may not be d same, being Govt hospital and all.

4 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tpia5: 12:12am On Jul 06, 2013
zibiah: @acidosis as if u know wat is going thru my mind right now. Am heavy and am almost due n d fear griping me as am reading dis thread is sometin else. My hubby has begged me to stop reading it but I can't help mysef. I keep coming back hoping to read more pleasant experiences
So far with God's grace n mercy my pregnancy has been smooth n without any incidence n I jst pray n hope dat it continues like dis even at delivery without any complications.I read a lot n keep asking my doc for clarification on any issue dat could arise n he has been forthcoming in his response.....I jst hope he displays same competence, due deligence proper care during my delivery

you shouldnt be reading these types of threads if you're pregnant.

when you see this kind of thread title, dont click on it.

if the urge grips you, go to another section (eg celebrity, food, or entertainment).
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Cestmoi1(f): 12:19am On Jul 06, 2013
Policewoman: I would advise those going for C.S to request for an epidural. It makes the whole thing less painful and quick also. But sha make sure your husband finds out if they have a good anaesthetologist. For Abuja, DIFF, Nisa Premier, Zankli are ok, but they are very expensive (some C.S can cost as much as N1M)or Asokoro, Maitama or Garki general hospitals. Abuja clinics too is very good. One of the best.
c hen,dose private hospitals can be careless too.my sista gave birth at zankli last yr.i was there live and those midwives were mean.God saved d life of my nephew.they didnt tie d umbilical cord well.it was my sis's neighbour dat saw it at home n raised an alarm b4 d old woman who helps out saved d day.in all,zankli is ok.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by busolayemi: 12:19am On Jul 06, 2013
I had my baby 2 years ago at d gbaja mother and child hospital, surulere too....I laboured all tru the night nd I jst dilated 4m...later on very early in the mornin d doctor told me my baby is stil in good shape and dat am still very strong in case if I stil want to keep tryin but dat he'll suggest cs...I sincerely don't have anytin agains cs...I told him dere and den dat am kool with it...dey made all the arrangement and in less than 20 minutes I was in the theatre...mehn...God bless dat doctor....I'm trying to rememba his name sef cos I collected his number later and I called him...he made me sing all through the process...and they all sang with me while I raise the songs...My baby came out fine and recovery was so easy...me I dint feel any pain o...my advice..ladies pls don't waste ur life because you are scared of cs...its no big deal if well handled...buh am seriously not ready for anoda belle nao o....RIP NIKE

4 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by othenok(f): 12:36am On Jul 06, 2013
@busolayemi
The Drs are Gbaja although over worked, they are wonderful. I was home by the 3rd day and to think the whole thing cost N80, 000. Normal birth is 30, 000 while ante-natal reg is 15, 000.
By the next day, the new mothers were all chatting as if nothing happened.
Am really glad Fashola built this hospital in all the LGs in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by busolayemi: 12:40am On Jul 06, 2013
othenok: @busolayemi
The Drs are Gbaja although over worked, they are wonderful. I was home by the 3rd day and to think the whole thing cost N80, 000. Normal birth is 30, 000 while ante-natal reg is 15, 000.
By the next day, the new mothers were all chatting as if nothing happened.
Am really glad Fashola built this hospital in all the LGs in Lagos.
yes o....infact, bravo to dem...such kind hearts...God bless dem
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 06, 2013
steph7: Reading the experiences here, have inspired me to work harder. I must not have my babies in Nigeria. The experiences here are pretty scary, giving birth is already a scary experience adding lack of equipment and nonchalant staff is almost a suicide recipe. Years ago my friend gave birth in a teaching hospital in PH, and the midwife was slapping her during labour when she was trying to push.

My husband dreads it. I had all csection with high risk pregnancies, the incision mark looks great & lined perfectly with the bikini line.

Don't get me started on how I lost families and friends to child childbirth in Nigeria despite millions of Naira that was spent. That country na waya!

NOW ; go to UK - have your baby - come back home - continue your business gbam.

* slapping a labouring mom? What arrant nonsense.

Heck courtesy even demand that I know ( choice) the name and experience of a financial rep I want to talk to prior , talklesss of my medical advisor in a walk in clinic or even in Emerg.

Wonder why many of poor them are still roaming about doing nothing , hoping and still taking their boards here over and over again. Practicum/ internship years = nothing to right home about and same for those old witch Nigerian matrons & midwives too.... I rest my case here before some losers jump on me.

RIP to Mothers who have lost their lives during childbirth.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Lexoria: 2:14am On Jul 06, 2013
Wow...@the expecting mom,Please no need to be scared.Try and tell urself frequently that u can do this and believe it.
I have had 3kids in 3countries.1st baby was in Poland.Best experience so far cos I had epidural so no pain.Downside was while delivery was over and baby was sucklin,hubby sitted and admiring(still in d labor room),I started losin conciousness due to xcess loss of blood.The speed @which they removed the babies mouth and wheeled me into a labor emergency room is close to non and if it was in nigeria,I'd be sure dead by now.When I came to,I was so darn tasty and was askin for water.They dipped cotton wool in some substance and kept pressing it in bits into ma mouth.The service was 10daful.In the delivery room,I had a midwife,a pediatrician,the anaesthestiologist,and an oby/gyn.It was a private room and I only paid for epidural(my hubby's insurance covers me).The espisiotmy was painful 1st day but they kept giving me repositories and we went home after 5days(its meant to be 3days but sat and sun dn't count for them).I was assigned a nurse who came to monitor I and baby every 2days for 2weeks.The hospital nurses were super nice,not to mention all the baby gifts from the hospital.They wan kill me with zupa tho...lol
2nd Baby,Italy.Best experience cos no episitomy and labor and delivery took 2hrs.had perdiatrician,nurse and OBY/GYN.I forgot I put to bed,3hrs later.They kept giving me repositories also cos they kept giving me medications to contract the uterus.Nurses and everyone very nice,I have to mention the food,damn we ate breakfast @7:30,served tea and biscotti @11;30,lunch@ 1pm,another round of coffee/tea@ 4pm and coffee/tea with biscuits @6pm,Dinner @8pm and tea again @10pm(these meals are complete with appertizer,main meal and desert) so hubby dint have to cook and bring unlike in Poland where it was Zupa,Zupa,Zupa but with all these,not a single nasty behaviour or frowned faces from the nurses.I still paid nada cos of hubby's insurance but b4 they realised I was covered,they brought a bill of 299euros and I think that was very cheap.Got fewer goodies this time and stayed 5days cos of sat and sunday.
3rd baby in Ghana.Wanted to deliver in US(I liked the idea of 3kids from 3countries@dis point and US seemed a great idea but we weren't living there...lol) cos I was also very scared of doing it in Africa after hearing so many stories and knowing some who died but mehn,school and being the only one caring for the kids at the time forced me to remain in GH.I went to 3hospitals b4 I decided to settle with the one I was mo comfortable with.He is german trained,worked there so long,should be in his 70's,was very pleasant and I saw him instilling the "be nice to ur patient attitude" into his nurses.I know,I'd slap any ill-behaving nurse(no jokes o) and I know hubby would display his "waffi" tendencies to any nurse who didn't respect herself,I decided 2go with this one to avoid "nigerians love making troubles".Service was wonderful throughout pregnancy but I only did 1test which was wierd to me.I was induced cos as usual my babies come down and I feel no serious labor pain,I start dialating from 22weeks and babies come bw 35/37weeks with medications to keep them there and develope vital organs faster.I was the only patient in the hospital,I had 1nurse with me,doctor would come in once in a while.By the time it started,I got to the labor room,started pushing and after 45mins,doctor gave me the WORST EPISIOTOMY EVER! and baby popped out.that was the only downside cos that cut would hurt me for weeks,it was more than 7stitches and the cutting and sowing got me screaming.I couldn't sit for 2weeks,he gave me repositories tho but they worked for only 2hrs and I could only have 4/per day.And he sent us home 18hrs later I don't think its good but I wasn't comfy @d hospital,I love ma house!.So I think I have had beautiful experiences.A few downsides but one thing I ALWAYS DO WHILE PREGNANT B4 AND AFTER DELIVERY IS CONFESSION.there were so many prophesy's abt death but I always told them thats not what I was promised and I dn't believe any other report but the one that promises me "A GOOD AND EXPECTED END".i have been scared at times but I say "He has not given me the spirit of fear but of a BOLD and A SOUND MIND".Say it and believe it and have faith,you would SURELY come out on top.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:22am On Jul 06, 2013
First of all.......introductions : am new to nairaland , am a doctor, a senior registrar on Obstetrics & gynaecology. This is one of the most serious threads i have seen on this forum and i feel compelled to contribute to the discourse.

Am sad Nigerian women still die in childbirth at the rate at which it is still [color=#000099][/color]happening. Our most recent National Demographic and Health survey puts a figure of 545 maternal deaths/ 100,000 deliveries as being our maternal mortality ratio. Many of us believe it is higher than this. Compare this figure to that of the United Kingdom of 6/100,000 or the scandinavian countries of 2-4/100,000 and one only gets sadder.

The appalling state of maternal health in Nigeria which is an index of socio-economic development is a reflection of our general politico-economic backwardness. The NHS scheme in the UK was established by the Labour party over 50 years ago and successive government have kept faith with it ever since.The government there spend close to a trillion dollars annually to maintain the system
through research,training & retraining. In Nigeria residents have to go on strike to demand for adequate training and healthcare infrastructure development and our people abuse them for daring to ask!

I own up to the bad attitudes but many of us are working to change things. Believe me it wont be long. But also think of working long hours under gruelling tropical conditions with poor remunerations and one could understand some of the bad attitudes....mistakes in this field are also senationalized even within the system and so everyone is on edge.......

I will have to continue this later my dearest Nigerian mothers . RIP to the dead!!!

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Warfibabe(f): 4:38am On Jul 06, 2013
My first son was an emergency CS, we couldn't get him out after 36 hours of labor- 7 hours after my water broke. He was getting distressed plus he had his cord wrapped around his neck. I was given a general anaesthesia that didn't completely put me under, so you can imagine how horrible it felt to know that you were being 'sliced'. I screamed in pains and the doctor has to give another dose which completely put me under. A few minutes later my son was brought out.

Now with all the trauma i felt postbirth, I even started singing to my husband that we should wait at least after 3yrs before trying for another child I 'accidentally' got preggy when he was 8 months old. The first few weeks it was mixed feelings for me- sadness, anger (particularly at my husband for no reason, and our doc for prescribing a family planning method that obviously didn't work), fear, then anxiety. Surprisingly the pregnancy was relatively easier than my first!. With my first I had the worst morning sickness in history! Followed by placenta previa, then preterm labor 2ce and finally fibroid! I actually spent more time in the hospital than my house. With this one I felt nothing! No morning sickness of any kind, no previa, I even felt like I was bursting with some new kind of energy.
Delivery time, we opted for an elective surgery, and I was given a spinal block (double block actually cus the first one didn't work). It felt wonderful to be wide awake and actually know when my 2nd son was being pulled out!.. Though I was paralysed from my waist down I was able to touch him after he was born before I was taken to my room to sleep. This experience actually dissolved the initial trauma I had about childbearing. I recovered faster and was discharged 4 days later. My son number 2 is 3 weeks old today and I am one heck of a proud momma!..

12 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Warfibabe(f): 4:45am On Jul 06, 2013
Just to add, I had both my children in Nigeria (Benin city) with a really nice doctor, who sure is reaaaally good!.. Its a small private hospital at sapele road, but they have all the facilities in the hospital. wink

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 06, 2013
^^^ Thank God for birth plans and hospitals that abide by them.. I had it in my birth plan that if I needed a C-section that they will first of all remove that stupid curtain separating my eyes from my child and secondly set up a mirror so I could watch it grin .. I was able to see everything and it was awesome.. but the rest of it sucked
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by mamaaustin(f): 6:25am On Jul 06, 2013
My labour experience was awful.
I was 40wks and experienced spotting early one morning. At the insistence of my mum, I went to the hospital for a check up. Whilst the doctor examined me and checked my records, he actually inserted tablets to induce labour without informing me. I only found out when he gave me a bill to replace the items he had used.
I was then placed on admission and experienced contractions on and off for 48hrs. However I discharged myself from the hospital after 12hrs of no attendance from a doctor @ the maternity ward (it was rumoured the doctors were on strike or they had gone home for Christmas).
The following day I registered @ another private but well recommended hospital and spent most of the day doing tests and scans to complete my medical history. By 5pm that same evening my waters broke and the contractions began. I went back to the second hospital and was sent to the maternity ward where I experienced pain unimaginable to man for the next 7hrs (I was refused an epidural because I was supposedly so far gone).
When I was finally sufficiently dilated, my baby's big head got stuck and couldn't come out.
The only way forward was for CS. My husband was called in, given a situation analysis and asked to sign consent forms.
By my calculations, I had 20 mind-numbing contractions while waiting to be prepared for the surgery and was begging for anesthetic throughout. It was sweet relief when it was finally administered and I blacked out.
By the time I woke up back in the maternity ward I was sore, covered in blood and the pain was horrendous.
Am just glad my son and I came out okay from the whole ordeal, but he go wait tire before he has a sibling, and no be 9ja I go try round two.
They really tried for me @ that second hospital, but generally, Nigerian hospitals are a case of 'your money or your life' where the more you pay the better the service you receive.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45am On Jul 06, 2013
propofol: FACT: NIGERIA HAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST MATERNAL MORTALITY RATES IN THE WORLD.
FACT :A LOT OF WOMEN HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES NEEDLESSLY.
FACT : NIGERIANS ARE TOO COMPLACENT. Why would you not ask questions? Why would you not read.
FACT: THERE ARE DOCTORS AND THERE ARE DOCTORS.
PEOPLE PLEASE KNOW YOUR RIGHTS ASK FOR THE BEST.I'M TALKING ABOUT YOUR LIFE HERE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALWAYS ASK TO BE SEEN BY THE CONSULTANTS. BE READY TO PAY. These are the specialists. There is nothing wrong in asking how many similar cases he/she has done in the past AND THE OUTCOME. NEVER MIND EVEN IF THEY GET ANGRY. PLEASE BE BOLD.In some hospitals they employ nurses who pose as doctors and they will never let you know because they know you will leave.Just imagine that the person administering the anaesthesia is a nurse with no dr supervising him/her.ARE YOU WILLING TO PUT YOUR LIFE IN THE HANDS OF THIS PERSON? JUST BECAUSE THE HOSPITAL WANT TO CUT COST AND NOT EMPLOY SUITABLY QUALIFIED PERSONS? This is just too risky.
However sometimes these thing do happen. That is why anyone going for surgery MUST SIGN A CONSENT FORM.I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR ALL PREGNANT WOMEN AND THEIR HUSBANDS."WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU ARE EXPECTING" ITS AN INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER.
The worst set of I don't care pple I've ever come across r nigerians. Even those with PHD.too dumb! I don't know wether they r afraid of drs.to even explain their malady,u gat to force some words outta their mouth.we don't read,we don't research.they don't monitor their body.always believin in fantasy! Some ladies here don't know when they ovulate!
The only thing we nigerians r good at is posing.go to ante class with lace and gele,carryn 4 phones at d same time and callin whomever durin antenatal class.
My friend was shouted down on one day buy a nurse on what she wore for maternity class!when she called and told me that nurse asked her whether she de go party, I couldn't stop laughin.was imaginin what she must hv worn for A class.
Instead of always loggin on nairaland,pls ask even d most foolish kweshion on d net,u will be suprised multiple answers await u

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by fagin1982(m): 6:50am On Jul 06, 2013
nikkyshyne: I lost my mum thru childbirth cry

Ndo .its well .God is God
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tiebe: 6:55am On Jul 06, 2013
Oduduwaboy: First of all.......introductions : am new to nairaland , am a doctor, a senior registrar on Obstetrics & gynaecology. This is one of the most serious threads i have seen on this forum and i feel compelled to contribute to the discourse.

I own up to the bad attitudes but many of us are working to change things. Believe me it wont be long. But also think of working long hours under gruelling tropical conditions with poor remunerations and one could understand some of the bad attitudes....mistakes in this field are also senationalized even within the system and so everyone is on edge.......

I will have to continue this later my dearest Nigerian mothers . RIP to the dead!!!

Thanks Doc. your contribution was objective. but please dont blame tropical conditions now. doc's who work under similar 'tropical' conditions in the west (australia, florida in d us, hawaii) still manage to be civil. nurses need to be taught their job does not include slapping, making snide remarks bout how i got preg or what my husband does for a living!

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 06, 2013
LCDD:

nurses in all federal hospitals and healthcare centers are well paid as compared to other civil servants in nigeria.
My dear,when it comes to federal work in naija,u know what's up and d mentality.that u r a medical personnel doesnt change an average nigerian worker's mindset.after all who will sack me? Especially wen I know from mr president to his gateman!
I know they r paid very well but I used private hospital as my example.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by CHIMSKY(m): 7:08am On Jul 06, 2013
aysometin: Hi All,

We all must have heard about the CEO of Ewar makeovers passing away due to complications arising from Childbirth, she was a friend therefore I am heart broken. cry

Since the story broke out yesterday, I have heard so many scary stories about having your child in Nigeria both from people offline and online. A friend actually told me she was given general anaesthetic and oxygen finished during the process, God saved her.

P.S this is not a UK/US is better than Nigeria thread as we all live in different regions and have different purses. If you have had bad experiences abroad too, feel free to share. I just want mothers to share their experiences and maybe reccommend good hospitals to expectants mothers and also name and shame the bad ones.

I suspect the Dads will have more stories to tell as they do all the running around when the woman is in labour or having a CS.

Sorry ut this threadvus about childbirthnin NIGERIA!
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by CHIMSKY(m): 7:09am On Jul 06, 2013
mrs flawless: I had my first baby at the st. georgies hospital in tooting and it was a mixed experience. My water broke and I went with my husband to the hospital, upon some examination, the nurse told me my water had not broken and it was probably incontinence; I was convinced my water had broken but she wasn't so she sent me back home, ask that I should use pads and then come back to the hospital the following day. I was a bit disappointed(as I had been looking forward to finally seeing the baby that kicks me so much that sometimes it hurts) but went back home all the same.
I kept changing pads throughout the night and showing my husband just so he can be sure but I wasn't having any contractions and the amniotic fluid wasn't really like gushing out of me.
We went back to the Hospital the following day and we were not attended to until about 12.00 noon(partly because I wasn't showing any sign of pain or discomfort)The nurse that attended to me also said that my water had not broken but god of heaven must have intervened and she requested for pads from the other night which I showed to her. Upon showing her the pad, the next couple of hours after was like I was in an episode of doctors or ER. The Nurse ran and got me seated in a private room where all manner of wires connected to a computer were strapped on my chest and my big tummy. The nurse LATER explained that the pad had greenish colour which meant that the baby had poo-ed and could be in distress.
I was later transferred to a room where a Nigerian nurse was on duty. needless to say, she was distracted and didn't notice on the chart when the baby's heartbeat was going off. she apologised to us once things later stabilised. After about 3 hours and with still no contractions and a new team of doctor and nurses resuming shift, the doctor team lead(God bless her heart) said I have o be induced since its about 24 hours that my water had broken and to avoid the baby having an infection; I accepted and called my sis at home to be praying for me.(it was in April and I had earlier lost my mum in April of the previous year) However, as soon as I was induced, the baby reacted and the heartbeat started to drop, the Asian nurse monitoring the screen quickly made an emergency call to the doctor who rushed in and told my husband "I HAVE TO GET THIS BABY OUT IN 15 MINUTES" I was rushed into the theatre and was operated on and the baby- a boy was brought out. he was monitored further and thankfully to God, he was perfectly normal. I was later sown up and given good care thereafter. I was told to ask for anaesthetic anytime I feel pain which I did and they freely gave.
3 years after, I had my second child in an hospital in the Jabi area of Abuja, this time I elected to have a C/S after my Doctor advised all through pre-natal consultation. Now, for someone who had seen Hospitals, Caring Doctor and proper equipment, to say I was disappointed at the theatre would be an understatement. I just kept praying. the floor was bare, no screens, no wires and just the doctors. The only "equipment" I saw was an iron bucket(the kind I last saw during my secondary school days)> But God saved me and the CS was successful. the recovery part was the scary part; I was in serious pains and I kept asking for pain killers but none was given. A doctor at some point told my husband to tell me to calm down and bear the pains since I had just been sliced(her exact words). I at some point fell that life was going out of me and it was just God's mercy that saw me through. I went back home with a very beautiful daughter and a heart full of gratitude to God. I am however very scared to entertain the thought of another child. I would have really love to have one more but my last experience kinda freaked me out.
I hate to compare Countries but I have to say that the Medical Team in UK showed that they "owed" me a duty of care and also they would have been questioned if anything had happened to me or the Baby but the Nija guys were all over the place, no cohesion, no duty of care and all.
I pray that that pretty CEO rests in peace and may God have mercy on all of us but just maybe it could have been different elsewhere.
Sorry to burst your bubble but this thread is about childbirth in NIGERIA!
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by CHIMSKY(m): 7:13am On Jul 06, 2013
Policewoman: I had my own birth in National Hospital, Abuja a few years back. But the place is in a total mess now. Last week when a friend wanted to deliver and was not dilating enough, they scheduled her for a CS, but said she had to wait till morning cos the Doctors were on strike. So we had to rake for them there o, carry the babe sharp sharp go one private Hospital. There she delivered without issues, not even needing a CS. Try to give birth in a good private hospital if u can afford it.
If you can afford to go to the uk to give birth then getting a good private hospital in Nigeriabshould be a piece of cake.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by fapcrook(m): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2013
otijah: Nt yet a father @op wetin I go talk abt my own experience
Wait for your time
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tanidabi: 9:58am On Jul 06, 2013
The truth is Nigeria is peculiar,but we still have some few professional,anything can go wrong anywhere,Nigeria,or otherwise,it's just tha chances are high in Naija,like someone said maybe Ewar was AS some docs don't even know that AS patients need extra oxygen wen been given anesthesia,I had a procedure done once at an highbrow hosp in VI,highly equipped cos dat was d first time I was seeing a heart monitor live for the first time in my life,the last thing I remember was the injection on my hands,6hrs later I woke up and the MD came to my bedside nd said we cancelled the procedure,u had a CARDIAC ARREST,I was 29 at that time,o boy with an oxygen task beside me nd a nurse stationed at my side with strict instructions I shld not move an inch my hubby was so scared ,anyway few months later,my broda calls from UK nd tells me anytime u are going for a surgery tell dem u are AS cos his gp told him that AS patients are susceptible to cardiac arrest,I told the yeye anesthethist dat nd he said he's not heard of dat b4,I had to do anoda procedure dis year at anoda clinic and the moment I told him of the cardiac arrest episode he simply said am not gonna take chances ,he brought in a specialist anesthetist dat cost me extra 280k but o boy it was so worth it,evrytin went so fine that he was wondering y I had a cardiac arrest in the first place,so people like I always say ask questions o ,they don't really like it wen u ask questions but pls ask and if u feel comfortable going abroad pls go,but it can happen anywhere,two of my bosses had ugly experiences abroad.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by yokus(f): 10:01am On Jul 06, 2013
THE RATE OF MATERNAL MORTALITY IN NIGERIA IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE. WE NEED TO IMPROVE AND MOVE FORWARD- NIGERIANS ARE TO USED TO 'HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE'... THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN THIS AGE AND TIME. I HAD A 20CM OVARIAN CYST 14WEEKS INTO MY PREGNANCY... THIS CYST WAS NOTICED IN THE UK WHEN IT WAS LESS THAN 7CM AND MY MID WIFE SET 2WEEKS APPOINTMENTS TO CHECK ON IT. I HOWEVER DECIDED TO COME TO NIGERIA FOR SOME TIME... AT THIS TIME IT WAS 20CM QUITE LARGE AND DOUBLE THE SIZE OF MY BABY...MY PEOPLE AT THE FIRST ULTRASOUND SCAN I WENT FOR IN NIGERIA THE MAN SAID MADAM YOUR BLADDER IS TO FULL, CHECKED THE BABY AND SAID YOU CAN GO. THEN I SAID OGA DID YOU NOT SEE A HUGE FOOTBALL SIZED CYST THERE? THEN HE STARTED STAMMERING AND CHECKING AGAIN, THIS TIME ASKING WHEN I FIRST NOTICED IT. HE WAS SHOCKED AT HOW LARGE IT WAS AND SAID THAT.WAS WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS MY OVER-FILLED BLADDER. I WAS SPEECHLESS AND WONDERED, HOW MANY WOMEN INCLUDING THE 7 PREGGERS THAT WENT IN BEFORE ME WERE UNAWARE OF WHAT THEY HAD IN THEIR UTERUS FIBROIDS, HUGE OVARIAN CYSTS, SMALL ONES. YOU NAME IT, ANYTHING AT ALL- THINGS THAT CAN COMPLICATE GIVING BIRTH.
WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WE ARE FAR BEHIND MEDICALLY. IT SHOULD NOT BE SO. THE DRS RELY ON THE SCAN RESULTS. IF I DIDNT KNOW I HAD A CYST THANKS TO NHS AND HAD TO REMOVE IT BECAUSE IT HAD TAKEN UP ALL THE SPACE THE CHILD WAS TO GROW IN TO, AND IT WAS LIKELY TO BURST ANYTIME WHICH IS MORE DISTRESSING FOR MYSELF AND THE BABY, I WOULD HAVE GONE ON NORMALLY TILL THE CYST RUPTURES AND MAKES ME AND MY CHILD SICK. I THEREAFTER WENT TO MECURE THE INDIAN CENTER WHERE THE SCAN WAS QUITE ACCURATE, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THEY WROTE THAT IT WAS A RIGHT OVARIAN CYST INSTEAD OF A LEFT OVARIAN CYST. THIS LITTLE MISTAKE TOO MAY MAKE A SURGEON TAKE A WRONG DECISION AS TO WHERE TO CUT. I THANK GOD FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THERE BECAUSE, NOTHING SEEMED WRONG BUT THE UK CONSULTANT FELT IT WOULD BE A BIG ISSUE IF NOT REMOVED. SO THANK GOD FOR REMOVING COMPLICATIONS THAT I MAY NOT HAVE NOTICED IN NIGERIA. I KNOW WE WILL GET THERE BUT PLS LETS HASTEN MEDICAL GROWTH, ENOUGH OF UNNECESSARY DEATHS...
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 06, 2013
tanidabi: The truth is Nigeria is peculiar,but we still have some few professional,anything can go wrong anywhere,Nigeria,or otherwise,it's just tha chances are high in Naija,like someone said maybe Ewar was AS some docs don't even know that AS patients need extra oxygen wen been given anesthesia,I had a procedure done once at an highbrow hosp in VI,highly equipped cos dat was d first time I was seeing a heart monitor live for the first time in my life,the last thing I remember was the injection on my hands,6hrs later I woke up and the MD came to my bedside nd said we cancelled the procedure,u had a CARDIAC ARREST,I was 29 at that time,o boy with an oxygen task beside me nd a nurse stationed at my side with strict instructions I shld not move an inch my hubby was so scared ,anyway few months later,my broda calls from UK nd tells me anytime u are going for a surgery tell dem u are AS cos his gp told him that AS patients are susceptible to cardiac arrest,I told the yeye anesthethist dat nd he said he's not heard of dat b4,I had to do anoda procedure dis year at anoda clinic and the moment I told him of the cardiac arrest episode he simply said am not gonna take chances ,he brought in a specialist anesthetist dat cost me extra 280k but o boy it was so worth it,evrytin went so fine that he was wondering y I had a cardiac arrest in the first place,so people like I always say ask questions o ,they don't really like it wen u ask questions but pls ask and if u feel comfortable going abroad pls go,but it can happen anywhere,two of my bosses had ugly experiences abroad.

I only know about the AS thing as my daughter is AS and I carry a card for her that actually makes a note for doctors to consider that if (God forbid) she ever needs an operation. It should be given to mothers when the baby is a newborn.

So maybe thats what happened in this lady's case, my friends sister almost died during her CS due to the AS thing and wrong dosage
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by PDPvsAPC: 10:15am On Jul 06, 2013
[size=14pt]If u are in Delta State, try LILY Hospital in Warri.[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Sayo And Jomi: Taiwo Sayo & Kehinde Folajomi, Identical Twin Sisters / I Couldn't Say A Word When I Saw This (photo) / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.