Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno (18524 Views)

PHOTOS: US Congress Women Join BBOG Sit Out In Abuja Today / Nigerian Troops Storm Sambisa Forest, Hunt For Boko Haram / Women Join Hunt For Boko Haram Suspects in Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Emmysteve(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
WOMEN and young females are signing up to join youth vigilante groups known as the civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) across Maiduguri as the hunt for Boko Haram members intensifies across the metropolis.

Being on the run and forced to operate covertly, Boko Haram has resorted to using women to plant bombs and its members are also disguising as females. To combat this, the civilian JTF is now recruiting women who can stop and search suspicious characters in hijabs or purdahs to see if they are concealing weapons.

According to reports from Maiduguri, yesterday, girls and women, aged between 15 and 30 were seen in the city carrying swords, daggers, knives and sticks. They stop and search vehicles and pedestrians together with their male counterparts and take it upon themselves to frisk female suspects.

Whenever a vehicle is stopped, the women volunteers check their womenfolk while men check men and when the vehicle is certified the driver is allowed to go. Both private and commercial vehicles are not spared in the operation as the checkpoints mounted by the youths far outnumber that of the security operatives.

One of the volunteers named Halima, who is 17, said: "We joined the civilian JTF in order to be searching females. A woman can search any other woman anywhere and nobody can raise eyebrows.”

She added that she was not afraid at all and had participated in raiding some houses in the Kumshe ward of Maiduguri where Boko Haram gun men were suspected to be hiding. “Securing Maiduguri is now a collective responsibility, irrespective of age, gender or status, as the safer the town, the better for all of us,” Halima added.

Another volunteer, Saratu, said she suspended working as a sales girl in order to take part in the routine patrol being undertaken by civilians. Hawkers of weapons such as swords, bows and arrows and knives are now enjoying brisk business in Maiduguri as a result of the high patronage by the civilian JTF.

Before the emergence of the youth groups, it was not possible to see anyone selling daggers in the open but now, the industry is enjoying a boom. One of the hawkers said his sales had risen by over 80% in recent weeks, adding: “The price of a sword has also gone up from N250 to N350 or more.”

Meanwhile, Barrister Usman Sani, a Maiduguri legal practitioner said there was the need to control the proliferation of such weapons in the hands of the youths. “If the authorities do not take the right measures now, we would find ourselves confronted with another serious dilemma in the nearest future,” he added.

JTF spokesman Lt Col Sagir Musa echoed his thoughts. He called on parents to also assist the authorities in regulating the activities of the youth vigilante groups.

www.nigerianwatch.com/news/2008-maiduguri-women-and-young-ladies-sign-up-to-act-as-anti-boko-haram-vigilantes#

2 Likes

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Kezben(m): 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
Why arm civilians? Hmmmm this doesn't look good.

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Ifetex(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2013
Wow very interesting, you u pple are just waking up?
Ppl allow themselfs 2 b hit b4 taking actions, in other word medisin after death,
never d less R. I. P to ur love ones that u ppl lost when u wea ignorant;(
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by FineFavour: 8:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Taiwo20(m): 8:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hmmm... God help Nigeria
From the beginning it was not so....
4th to. Comment sha...I will get there one day
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
the picture attached to the post is not from nigeria

17 Likes

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Caspian22(m): 8:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
Good news!

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
I like this. Mek d foolish boko women come hide bomb for pant and bra again mek we see. If they like,let them allow pubic hairs to grow like bush on their toto, female civilian JTF would help them to prune the hairs. They can as well open and plant the bomb inside,female civilian JTF would also open the Toto and fish the bombs out after which the Toto would be left ajar forever so that virgin hunters would bleep boreholes in heaven

5 Likes

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by splashbaby(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
I'm reserving this space for future comments...This not the time to comment.

I will return after 6 months
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by inpeace: 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
This is good fight against the bokos, kudos to civilian jtf

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by martin1772(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
It tink the arm circulation should be controlled, hope they wont turn against themselves lata
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by mascot87(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
Its a welcome development. GEJ is working
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by kstyle2(m): 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
Blimey!I hav a funi feeling abt dis ish.d whole north shld b wiped off d surface of dis earth make person fit drink water drop cup.*wondering wat peter griffin wud do if he was our president*

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 08, 2013
rip boko are ram
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by YoshiMaster: 8:39pm On Jul 08, 2013
Taiwo20: Hmmm... God help Nigeria
From the beginning it was not so....
4th to. Comment sha...I will get there one day

Where exactly will you get to, Top of the page, or Borno? Just curious.

Kudos to the brave women.
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Mccullum: 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2013
That's good because security is collective duty of every one, with the boldness of the ladies in searching for the insurgents, may Allah be with them and give them victory.

3 Likes

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2013
i can perceive danger. I think these political demagogues are systematical arming
even the youth ahead of 2015.

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by otijah(m): 8:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
Front page again kwa. I have a feeling that things are beggining to get better for me following my constant appearance in FP. Ok back to the topic, hope these women would make something positive in this their tactics
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Ajengogo(m): 8:43pm On Jul 08, 2013
“Securing Maiduguri is now a collective responsibility, irrespective of age, gender or status, as the safer the town, the better for all of us,”. I love this comment from Halima. Good luck to you all.

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:43pm On Jul 08, 2013
O mehn! See se**xy civilian JTF! grin grin grin
BTW I'm off to Maiduguri abeg!
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by johnstar(m): 8:43pm On Jul 08, 2013
Wat a man can do, a woman can do berra cheesy cheesy cheesy...... Let der b war, war grin cheesy cheesy......
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by braine(m): 8:44pm On Jul 08, 2013
Ah! Now I believe Boka Haram is in trouble. We all know what happens when women get involved in things they do not want. Lol. The war just began.
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
I was banned for 2months by Mr Seun Osewa for standing for and by the truth. Seun am waiting for apology letter from you and mod Ikenna. At topic, these girls are fiighters. Respect to them

1 Like

Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by meeboid: 8:55pm On Jul 08, 2013
Good for dem
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by alphaconde(m): 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2013
This boko haram making headlines in different ways. I heard they just killed students in their hostels, may d blood of those kids speak against any supporter and member of boko haram.
AMEN
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by supaeagles(m): 9:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
What man can do, women can do better ... abi .... wink
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by strangest(m): 9:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
That picture doesn't look Nigerian...
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Pluslargent(m): 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2013
looks like malians
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by 3ace(m): 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2013
I salute these girls for their bravery. Can my people ever exhibit such bravery? Well, maybe when it gets to that stage, they will be forced to do same. Good work, you're doing us proud.
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2013
illitrate: i can perceive danger. I think these political demagogues are systematical arming
even the youth ahead of 2015.
you just read my mind.
but wait o.how come u can read when ur handle says you're illiterate? grin
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by realone2012: 9:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
Muslims (one is Halima and the other Saratu and much more) fighting BH, nobody would talk about that now! Bunch of jealous HYPOCRITE.
Re: Women Join Hunt For Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno by tallceejay(m): 9:20pm On Jul 08, 2013
Ifetex: Wow very interesting, you u pple are just waking up?
Ppl allow themselfs 2 b hit b4 taking actions, in other word medisin after death,
never d less R. I. P to ur love ones that u ppl lost when u wea ignorant;(

So lame a response!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi, Jang Clash Again As NGF Faction Summons Meeting / Sylva Mobilises Bayelsa APC Members To Clear Refuse / Aisha Buhari Mourns Precious Owolabi Killed In Shiites Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.