Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,898 members, 7,814,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Prenuptial Agreements - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prenuptial Agreements (20737 Views)

Poll: Your attitude to prenuptial agreements?

Positive: 50% (54 votes)
Negative: 50% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Prenuptial Agreements Vs Gold Diggers: How Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by kenflowers: 4:01pm On Nov 09, 2007
big ups 4 prenups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ivvie: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2007
Prenup is a must!

There is an act enforced in Houston, Texas called the No Fault Marriage Act. A spouse can divorce for just no reason and entitled to at least 50% of your current estate. People aren't fools - check Anna Nicole Smith! Many would have clocked about 6 marriages in a 10 year period accruing wealth they did not work for.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ivvie: 5:13pm On Nov 09, 2007
I don't think prenup will be a problem if you plan to stick to the marriage thick/thin.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by ThePrince2: 5:45pm On Nov 09, 2007
Famous Last Words:

On the Engagement of Sir Paul Mac Cartney and Heather Mills:

Reporter to Sir Paul:"Hey Paul will you have a Pre Nup?"

Sir Paul:   "Don't be silly, we're far too much in love for that"

Heather Mills: ,  smiley

Too many successful business men forget their Business mind and put on Rose Coloured glasses [flash=200,200][/flash] when it comes to marriage. Let's face it. While men may sleep with many women they are rather choosy when it comes to tying the knot of Marriage.

Women on the other hand get into organisation mode in respect to marriage. For some women marriage is the best Business transaction they will make.

A Prenuptial Agreement is simply insurance nowadays as most Woman only hear the words" For Better, "

More over especially here in the West, it's always 50% of HIS assest never 50% of his Liabilities.  That's a win\win business transaction if ever I heard one
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ivvie: 6:08pm On Nov 09, 2007
It's foolish not to sign a prenup.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by shadex1(m): 1:31am On Nov 10, 2007
It might be foolish not to sign a prenupt and i think i would rather be a fool than let one lady come and take half of what i have been working for since my teen age.
Yea for better for worse,trust,love and all that,but if there is something that is constant in this world,its change,things change over time,things you sometimes cant control.so if some lady says to prove that i trust and love her i should sign a prenupt,then you should know she is sensing a breaking if not early,later in the marriage.
Look at Diddy,smart dude,do you think he doesnt want to have a wife,Kim is his girlfriend and goes to some places with her as his wife and all that.shez got 3 kids for him and what else.He cant just let one Kim come into his wife and take away half of all he has worked for,thats crazy,really crazy.
to hell with prenupt.
i would rather be like diddy.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by soulonfire(f): 1:01pm On Nov 10, 2007
I AM 4IT 100% 10/10!!!!!!
Its not lyk u dont trust Mr.Good. but Mr Good aint a closed system and is thus open to the external environment, wich have unpredictable influence on him.

Thus b4 some sleenysillyweeeny comes along to hit on that gold mine u probably discovered and built together let him know just how much he is gettin if he makes a wrong move, and the same goes for Miss Good as well - i.e so some slimygolddiggin bastard dont come cart away ur wify.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sealed(m): 7:06pm On Nov 12, 2007
Isn't marriage a commitment? and a commitmment of a lifetime too
Do not the bride and the bridegroom both agree as they're joined as husband and wife to stay by each other through good and bad times?
Why not agree on how to work things out during storms and dificult situations, instead of agreeing on how to break off?
God help us!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Goldmann(m): 12:08am On Nov 13, 2007
If u ain't no punk, holla we want pre-nup, we want pre-nup, yeah, thats something that you need to have, or when she leaves your ass, she's going to leave with half!!!
             -Kanye West- (Gold digger)
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 2:50am On Nov 13, 2007
The west has completely devalued marriage

Stuff like this is why men in the west completely dislike marriage and prefer to go around sleeping with different beautiful women
and when a woman comes to them yapping no sex till marriage they give her a firm kick to the butt and kick her out undecided.

Micheal Jordan now has to pay 170 million for a woman who spent all his money while raising HER kids (yes, his and her kids at the same time)

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/12/jordans-divorce-costs-him-168-million/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Can somebody give a western man one reason to get married
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 2:55am On Nov 13, 2007
Plus his 8 acre estate too that i think Kobe wanted to buy  shocked shocked shocked

I remember when a woman once said that women shoud stop giving men who are not yet married to them sex because as she said why buy the cow if you can get the mik for free

a guy answered her saying why buy the cow when you could end up beign in trouble for the rest of your life and enslaved to make payments and lose your home and get taken to the cleaners and what you have taken away from you.
Why go through all that when you can get milk from different cows

Why wait, patronize or even beg an unproductive cow when you can boot the cow and get a productive one?

I must admit, i was bewildered undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed

But the guy kind of summed up what he was trying to convey and said

"People ask why divorces are on the rise in the west. Guess what?  Marriage is the number one reason"

I was even more bewildered

I guess marriage in the west has very litle value now.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 13, 2007
sage:

The west has completely devalued marriage

Stuff like this is why men in the west completely dislike marriage and prefer to go around sleeping with different beautiful women
and when a woman comes to them yapping no sex till marriage they give her a firm kick to the butt and kick her out undecided.

Micheal Jordan now has to pay 170 million for a woman who spent all his money while raising HER kids (yes, his and her kids at the same time)

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/12/jordans-divorce-costs-him-168-million/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Can somebody give a western man one reason to get married

abeg let's hear something.
like she walked into the marriage and was handed gold on arrival.
She was there through the marriage till he rose to fame,raising the kids and stuck it out with his gambling and wandering ways.
She deserves every penny coming to her.
God bless that Juanita Jordan or whatever her name is.
How can a man leave the wife of his youth and be chasing these cheap floozies
$170 million is too small.

she should charge him bedroom, labour, maternity and daycare money.
And any proceeds from air Jordan sneakers and cologne.
She was there giving him moral and sexual support through all it's making. grin

when we say gold diggers,this is not one of them.
They were married for donkey years and she stuck it through his stupidity until she could stick it out no more.
She infact deserves an award
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2007
@Baby

You are making the same arguments femnists make but that argument is dumb, as dumb as it comes.

Women say he should pay her that amount because of the support she offered him

1 How much will she pay HIM for the support he also offered her

Women say that she had his kids

2 Hello, what she had was her kids too

Women say she kept his home

3 Hello she kept her home too

Its funny how when it comes to money the women would say he should pay her because she had HIS kids and kept HIS home but then they turn arond and say because they are the women she should get HER kids and HER home lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 8:26pm On Nov 13, 2007
And most of all

Why should He pay her that amount for any reason??

For all their married years she got a free mansion to live in, the best cars, the bst sevants, free food, free and the best everything money can buy etc

She needs to pay him back for all that he did for her first

since femnists think that he needs to pay her for all she did for him while they were married, i think she first needs to pay him back all he did for her too.

So thats a dumb argument

You know what i think
The best way to lower divorce in the west is to scrap Alimony and Child Support and 50/50 splits.

Then just sit back and watch divorce go down from 50% now to 5% or less
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 8:38pm On Nov 13, 2007
@baby

Its nothing personal sista cheesy

I just think cases like these are why men like OJ abound
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by BlackMamba(m): 3:33am On Nov 14, 2007
sealed:
Isn't marriage a commitment?
Sure. Commitment for life without parole if you have no pre-nup to mitigate your sentence.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Emad(f): 8:53am On Nov 14, 2007
BlackMamba:

Sure. Commitment for life without parole if you have no pre-nup to mitigate your sentence.

WORD

I think that if women say they want equality they should begin to work for it
You dont get into a marriage with nothing and expect to leave with everything your stupid ass cant afford
WORK for your own money and leave with none of his, he will respect u even more for that
If you are not marrying him for money , SIGN the pre nup angry angry angry angry
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 14, 2007
sage you know I strongly disagree
And I'm not at all a feminist.
but you have your views and are entitled to them
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by mellow(m): 2:30pm On Nov 15, 2007
It is all bulshit. How can I go into marriage with the thought of it failing at the back of my mind?.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by SugaLips(f): 3:26am On Nov 18, 2007
I personally don't agree with pre-nups. For goodness' sake, what happened to "For better, for worse. . . "? Signing a pre-nup just means that you're set on your relationship failing.

If any guy wants me to sign a pre-nup before we get married, Imma dump his sorry ass right away. . . it ain't like I need his money anyway, I make enough for myself without a man giving me money.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by olofinjeje: 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2007
You all assume that it is only women that receive and get alimony -The reality is that where the woman is the breadwinner or more financially sound than the man-She has to pay and must give in the exactly the same ratio as if it was the other way round. Remember Elizabeth Taylor and her last marriage to some Larry(biker/mechanic) guy-she had to pay big time!!
The "children" factor in divorces obviously shifts the monetary scales more in the woman's favour(if she is their custodian)
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by bigbee(m): 4:05pm On Nov 18, 2007
my wife and didnt sign one b4 we stumbled on an unexpected amount of money recently,and suddenly she wants out, but iam not regetting it cuz after all i will still have enough left to invest. so i say prenups are definitely a good way to start especially if u are here in america.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ivvie: 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2007
Suga_Lips:

I personally don't agree with pre-nups. For goodness' sake, what happened to "For better, for worse. . . "? Signing a pre-nup just means that you're set on your relationship failing.

If any guy wants me to sign a pre-nup before we get married, Imma dump his sorry ass right away. . . it ain't like I need his money anyway, I make enough for myself without a man giving me money.

If you can dump him before you get married, nothing stops you from performing the same when you get married. There is no such thing as better for worse. All that is nothing but plain theory. Sign your prenups under the right conditions and both party will work to saving a marriage when difficult times visit.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Eclairs: 2:27am On Nov 20, 2007
disagree with it. Marriage is a risk. There is no minimizing this. Prenups are an illusion of protection. Anyhow, if a man is afraid to trust me then I'm afraid of him.

I agree with u 100000000 % homegirl. u took the words right out of my mouth. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Hear yourself, why shd you be afraid of him if your conscience is clean?
Everyone has a right to protect their own. At the end of the day, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Take your property and let me take my property. It's as simple as tht.

Have neva been the one to support Prenup cz I think it questions the relationship but with your comments, I have changed my mind. You must sign, or take your leave. Its not by force.

There's no saint around these days. I guess you know tht.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ivvie: 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2007
Funny enough, I have been talking to girls on this prenuptial and postnuptial issue and none find it funny. I believe they have another agenda as backup from my conclusion. Girls also use it as a form of security in marriage. One even voiced her reason "My husband can look at me one morning and say he doesn't like me anymore and start with another woman. He won't try that without prenup because I will sue for every single thing." I replied interesting!

I have no problem sticking to marriage in a single spouse but my understanding about women will not make it a practicality without prenup and postnup. I pity the man in this day/age that doesn't insure his marriage. I don't know if it's just me but the vast majority of women are unstable in their ways. Texas has what it calls "No Fault marriage." I woman can just call it an end without any cause and at least 50% of the man's estate is hers. If she gets a good lawyer, maybe 80%. Imagine a business man with a prominent business. Many live their lives like that, moving from marriages to marriages securing their future.

@Eclairs

You are so right.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by joshjosh(m): 11:31am On Feb 01, 2008
love they say is blind. marriage will always open your eyes. eneke the bird said since men have learnt to shoot without missing, it has learnt to fly without perching.

full paid up member of the prenup party. marriage can be a risk. my wealth should not be at risk. a good man should leave an inheritance to his children's children the bible says - that is my choosen path.

i was born in the night but definitely not yesternight.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ndipe(m): 9:45pm On Mar 18, 2008
According to some news reports, Heather Mills, the ex-wife of Paul Mccartney wanted 250 million dollars for their divorce settlement. And they had been married for four years. And it's been reported that Paul did not sign a prenuptial agreement. Its so confusing, especially when you view marriage as a life affirming contract, and another spouse may have a hidden agenda. How do you protect yourself?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
Ndipe:

According to some news reports, Heather Mills, the ex-wife of Paul Mccartney wanted 250 million dollars for their divorce settlement. And they had been married for four years. And it's been reported that Paul did not sign a prenuptial agreement. Its so confusing, especially when you view marriage as a life affirming contract, and another spouse may have a hidden agenda. How do you protect yourself?

Sir Paul was very careless in not signing a prenup with that woman.
His own children and friends disliked her from day one and warned him.
Thank God the courts yesterday awarded her a quarter of what she wanted.
There are reports she even used to hit Paul Mcartney with her wooden leg.
She can now leave him alone.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by joshjosh(m): 6:02pm On Mar 20, 2008
that ugly rumour called heather mills just became another word for greed per excellence. she is a disgrace with all her rantings and ravings and havingthe audacity to pour water on the guys lawyer.

this is jugdement link http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3575582.ece

my jugdement is once a hooker always a hooker. never marry a hooker not even a reformed hooker.

i find this funny that you name someone not donating charity as reasons for divorce

79. The wife says that the husband “turned down many opportunities to help my charities” (paragraph 55 of her affidavit of 30 January 2008) and that his “refusal to commit” made any of his appearances on behalf of a charity much less effective. Furthermore (paragraph 56) the husband often promised to make financial contributions to charities but later refused to follow it through.

80. I have to say that the facts as I find them to be do not support the wife’s case. Within two months of the parties meeting in May 1999 the husband donated £150,000 to the wife’s charity (the Heather Mills Health Trust). In December 2002 and again in December 2003 the husband made a gift of £250,000 outright to the wife, thus plainly giving her the opportunity to make donations to charity. In April 2000 the husband’s sister-in-law effectively introduced her to “Adopt a Minefield” (“AAM”). This charity became one of the wife’s principle charitable concerns. The wife accepted in her cross-examination that in respect of the husband’s direct and indirect contribution to AAM between January 2001 and late 2005 the husband contributed approximately £3,425,000.

this fool gives women a bad name. thank God for lawyers.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by almondjoy(f): 6:59am On Mar 21, 2008
@ Topic

I love the idea of a "prenupeeeeeeee"!  That should teach everyone going into a ready-made home, that you only take what you have out of that marriage.  You did not build it and you have no right to stretch you long throat into money you did not sweat for.  Male or female. . . . go and get you a damn job!

The children will be taken care of.

If people build together, there would be no need for a prenupee, if the levels are not equal, please take only what belongs to you when you leave. . . no sympathies! kiss
Ndipe:

In Paul's case. . .I think there was no prenupeeeeeeeee.  She is only getting 50 million, which I think is too much for only a 4 year marriage. This man is worth over 1 billion pounds abi na dollars maybe, from hard work. Then this cheap pussy of a female would come in and want to reap where she did not sow after his dear wife who struggled with him lost his wife to cancer?  What a gold digging thief!  Anyway she will soon be back on the streets where she belongs with her one leg! kiss More punishment waiting for her. How can a man trust you without signing a prenupeeeeeeeeeee, especially after he has been a previous marriage for a long time with a loving wife and a hooker just shows up to treat him like trash? These are the kinds of women that make women look bad across the world. Like I said, she will soon lose the other leg for her wickedness!

I protect maself be having my own assets separate from my husband's.  We have somethings together and we have somethings separate from each other.  This creates a healthy balance.  The agreement is that at the[b] 25th year [/b] anniversary. . . all assets become "ONE". . . .something to look forward to.  But not before! cool
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by almondjoy(f): 7:12am On Mar 21, 2008
joshjosh:

that ugly rumour called heather mills just became another word for greed per excellence. she is a disgrace with all her rantings and ravings and havingthe audacity to pour water on the guys lawyer.

this is jugdement link http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3575582.ece

my jugdement is once a hooker always a hooker. never marry a hooker not even a reformed hooker.

i find this funny that you name someone not donating charity as reasons for divorce

79. The wife says that the husband “turned down many opportunities to help my charities” (paragraph 55 of her affidavit of 30 January 2008) and that his “refusal to commit” made any of his appearances on behalf of a charity much less effective. Furthermore (paragraph 56) the husband often promised to make financial contributions to charities but later refused to follow it through.

80. I have to say that the facts as I find them to be do not support the wife’s case. Within two months of the parties meeting in May 1999 the husband donated £150,000 to the wife’s charity (the Heather Mills Health Trust). In December 2002 and again in December 2003 the husband made a gift of £250,000 outright to the wife, thus plainly giving her the opportunity to make donations to charity. In April 2000 the husband’s sister-in-law effectively introduced her to “Adopt a Minefield” (“AAM”). This charity became one of the wife’s principle charitable concerns. The wife accepted in her cross-examination that in respect of the husband’s direct and indirect contribution to AAM between January 2001 and late 2005 the husband contributed approximately £3,425,000.

this fool gives women a bad name. thank God for lawyers.

I agree with you wholeheartedly!  Infact, I feel like slapping her if she were sitting next to me. angry  Useless woman with one missing leg!  She will soon lose the other one for all her slutting and gold digging around, how won't she have motor vehicle accident? When she is an evil witch?  Which charities?  Is that a phocking job? undecided  Gosh, I can't stand her at all! Only to find out she has been posing nude all over the place. She needs to stick to her God-given talent and stop playing holy, holy housewife!

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22868775-5005368,00.html

That should teach these old rich men a lesson.  What in the world are they marrying for after over 25 years of marriage to a loving spouse.  Like women are collectible items?  The need to just learn to have paid "companions".  But not marriage for crying out loud.  I thought only women were desperate to ge married?  Even old men too?  They must be senile.  Before all these gold digging sluts render the estates useless and the children are left without any meaningful inheritance.

Sir Paul McCartney is getting ready to marry or has already married another woman.  The old fool has not learned anything from pet "charity" project Heather "One Leg" Mills!  Old fool!  Serves him right then! kiss
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by almondjoy(f): 7:41am On Mar 21, 2008
Now for people like Michael Jordan, Stephen Speilberg, Harrison Ford, I have no problems with the settlements.  These women where there from the beginning.  Any marriage less than 5 years old should not even make it to court for any kind of settlement, especially if it is a ready made marriage with one of the spouses being a nobody! kiss

Prenups should always be enforced by the rule of law! Period!

Don't get taken to the cleaners.  It can be pretty expensive.  But on Nairaland, no worries. . . .we are all church rats! cheesy

TOP 10 MOST EXPENSIVE DIVORCE SETTLEMENTS!

http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_60/74_top_10_list.html

MICHAEL JORDAN AND JUANITA JORDAN----------------------------------$168MILLION cool I love that! Thank God Juanita did not rush out frustrated. She sure planned well and dealt with that womanizing, gambling scumbag of a Mchael Jordan to top the list! grin

http://www.medindia.net/news/Macca-Mills-Divorce-Settlement-Among-the-Top-10-Celebrity-Divorces-34320-1.htm

The top 10 celebrity settlements are:

1. Michael and Jaunita Jordan, 2007: 84 million pounds

2. Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphey, 1994: 75 million pounds

3. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving, 1989: 50 million pounds

4. Harrison Ford and Melissa Matheson, 2004: 42 million pounds

5. Kevin Costner and Cindy Silva, 1994: 40 million pounds

6. James Cameron and Linda Hamilton, 1999: 25 million pounds

7. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills, 2008: 23.4 million pounds

8. Michael and Diandra Douglas, 1998: 22.5 million pounds

9. Ted Danson and Casey Coates, 1993: 15 million pounds

10. Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall, 1999: 12.5 million pounds.

Donald Trump and Ivana Trump------------------------------------$25 Million Dollars---with a prenup! grin

Now these are women who really earned their money. . . . .not awon Heather "Gold Digging" Mills! kiss All have been married for over 10 or donkey years!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

She Has Invested So Much In Me. Now She Want Marriage And I Dont Love Her Anymore. / Adorable Reaction Of An Old Woman To Her Grandson’s New Car (Video ) / Is There Anything Wrong With Bein A House Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.