Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,012 members, 7,814,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Prenuptial Agreements - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prenuptial Agreements (20748 Views)

Poll: Your attitude to prenuptial agreements?

Positive: 50% (54 votes)
Negative: 50% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Prenuptial Agreements Vs Gold Diggers: How Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by almondjoy(f): 7:55am On Mar 21, 2008
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF!

Top 5 Divorce mistakes to avoid! cool

http://money.aol.com/top5/general/divorce-mistakes-to-avoid-5

http://divorce.clementlaw.com/2007/12/articles/divorce/the-top-five-mistakes-of-divorce/

The Top Five Mistakes of Divorce

The Top Five Mistakes of Divorce

According to the article, the top five mistakes are:

1. Failing to be prepared with copies of all relevant financial and legal documents;
2. Failing to obtain financial advice as part of the divorce. Parties often fail to consider impact of taxes on the assets to be distributed. Other assets need to be appraised;
3. Failing to sell the marital home when you can ill afford to remain in it;
4. Failing to explore settlement or other avenues of dispute resolution and, instead, rushing into court; and
5. Failing to untangle assets and debts acquired during the marriage.
The list is far from exhaustive. In fact, the number one mistake on my list would be using the divorce to punish your spouse. Vindictive conduct or using the divorce to extract revenge only increases the acrimony, unhappiness and the emotional, psychological and economic costs of divorce.

So ladies and gentlemen. . . . when you are in a marriage. . . .do not just get frustrated and leave.  Plan for the perfect get away. . . .don't get mad, get even!  Like ma darling Ivana Trump would say! kiss

Plan well! cool
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by JJYOU: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2009
almondjoy:

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF!

Top 5 Divorce mistakes to avoid! cool

http://money.aol.com/top5/general/divorce-mistakes-to-avoid-5

So ladies and gentlemen. . . . when you are in a marriage. . . .do not just get frustrated and leave.  Plan for the perfect get away. . . .don't get mad, get even!  Like ma darling Ivana Trump would say! kiss

Plan well! cool

AJ, we miss you.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by biina: 1:34am On Mar 01, 2009
pre-nup all the way!!!! grin grin grin
abi wetin u dey fear?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 04, 2009
@ Sage & Davidylan
You guys have a made a world of sense on this topic!Yea rite , if women could cry for gender equality and the likes ,why would they not be cool with 50:50 ratio especially where they contributed financially in the marriage before it went sour?
Marriage really has lost its true essence ,why marry your patner when you know you don't totally trust him/her?As far as i know a prenup is a contract marriage, and IMHO would not advise anyone man/woman to get involved!
Marriage for me is a life journey and has intrinsic worth!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ndipe(m): 3:29am On Mar 05, 2009
Akaraoku$:

@ Sage & Davidylan
You guys have a made a world of sense on this topic!Yea rite , if women could cry for gender equality and the likes ,why would they not be cool with 50:50 ratio especially where they contributed financially in the marriage before it went sour?
Marriage really has lost its true essence ,why marry your patner when you know you don't totally trust him/her?As far as i know a prenup is a contract marriage, and IMHO would not advise anyone man/woman to get involved!

I totally agree with your views that drawing up a prenuptial agreement is essentially a sign that trust is lacking in the marriage. But when gold diggers view marriage as another avenue to get rich quickly, can you still blame folks for insisting on a prenup before tying the knots? Paul Mccartney got into his marriage, I believe with good intentions, hence his decision not to have Heather Mills sign a prenup, despite opposition from his kids. Four years later, they divorced and he had to give up over 40 million dollars to her. Yet, according to published reports, she was demanding for a higher amount.

Still, I respect your views, and infact, feel that prenup is totally unnecessary.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by biina: 4:18am On Mar 05, 2009
Akaraoku$:

@ Sage & Davidylan
Marriage really has lost its true essence ,why marry your partner when you know you don't totally trust him/her?As far as i know a prenup is a contract marriage, and IMHO would not advise anyone man/woman to get involved!
Without pre-nup, the possible payoff from a divorce settlement, if not encouraging, does not in the least dissuade the benefiting party from taking the easy way out. All marriages usually experience a low, the potential monetary reward encourages the benefactor to file for a divorce instead of laboring and working it out.

One can always make the argument that my situation is different, but I don't see the enticement in having a failed marriage and being financially ruined in one fell swoop. The risk far outweighs the payoff.

If the divorce laws were even handed in most developed countries, I could argue against pre-nups, but I would rather go into a contract marriage than have someone jeopardize the interests of others that depend on me.

IMO, in a marriage with no kids, both parties should leave with what they came with, and joint ownership items should be split based on income contributions. When kids are involved, settlement should be towards caring for the kids, and not the custodial party (unless there is evidence that the spouse neglected his/her career for the sake of the children), and, the non-custodial party should have corresponding visitation/access rights to the children (except in cases of criminal behavior)
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by xavier3(m): 10:20am On Mar 13, 2009
prenuptial agreement is just a way of saying "i love you for a reason but when that reason is gone i'm gonna divorce you" and as an add on bonus i want some goods for when i leave. it just shows there was never trust between the couple from the onset
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ndipe(m): 12:22am On Mar 26, 2009
This sad story would 'justify' the reason for the existence of prenup.

http://www.nationalledger.com/ledgerpop/article_272625419.shtml

Marie Douglas-David (Photos) Divorce, $43M Not Enough?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Gene Byrd
Mar 22, 2009

A Marie Douglas-David divorce has been called many things and certainly is very expensive but forty-three million dollars may not be enough! Many are stunned. the The Staff at wowOwow.com writes, "The estranged wife of former United Technologies CEO George David claims to spend more in one week than the average American household’s annual income."

Marie Douglas-David (Photos) Divorce, $43M Not Enough?

Continuing, And now, after six years of marriage, the 36-year-old Swedish countess stunner is in the middle of a divorce from her 66-year-old husband. She says she has no job — she quit her asset-manager job with her husband’s backing. She also says she has no assets."

NY Mag has photos of the blonde and breaks down the numbers. Mortgage and maintenance fees and rent for the Park Avenue penthouse, the Hamptons retreat and properties in Sweden account for $27,300 a week, according to a financial affidavit she filed with the court. And then there's travel ($8,000), clothing ($4,500), a personal assistant ($2,209), horse care ($1,570), domestic help ($1,480), entertainment and restaurants ($1,500), health and skin care ($1,000), dry cleaning ($650), flowers ($600) and a trainer ($250). Wow, the trainer really seems to get the shaft.

Women on the Web also notes the upcoming courtroom battle writing, "A six-day trial is scheduled for March, the Hartford Courant reports. Meanwhile, her husband agreed to pay her nearly $1 million until the legal team works it out."
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 1:46am On Sep 08, 2009
xavier3:

prenuptial agreement is just a way of saying "i love you for a reason but when that reason is gone i'm gonna divorce you" and as an add on bonus i want some goods for when i leave. it just shows there was never trust between the couple from the onset

You mean the kind of trust Paul McCartney and Michael Jordan had?

I think it makes more sense to say the Prenuptial Agreement is a way to say "I love you but the Western laws are unfair and punitive to main benefactors (usually men), hence an insurance of some form is required so I retain hold of my destiny just in case".
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by harakiri(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2010
In today's western world, any man whether rich or average that gets married with no prenup needs to go for a brain scan. Even in developing countries like Pueto Rico,they have a law called code 54. . .whereby all a woman needs to do is call the cops and the man will be thrown out into streets that same day. No trial, no divore proceedings,everything is based on her word! Where is the justice in that? Wife murders have soared since the implementation of that law but the govt refuse to do anything coz it favors women and they need womens votes. In the U.S, the divorce rate keeps skyrocketing and fewer men are willing to commit. What sane man would want to marry knowing fully well that he could be kicked out of HIS OWN HOUSE in less than 5 years and lose much more in court? If the lady has cold feet or begins to ask if you dont love or trust, RUN! Women go into marriage NOT because of love so dont be decieved. If the biological clock and beauty features extended to 80 yrs, women would do shakara till then. No gorck yourself. Sign the damn papers! ! !
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2010
harakiri:

. . .whereby all a woman needs to do is call the cops and the man will be thrown out into streets that same day. No trial, no divore proceedings,everything is based on her word! Where is the justice in that? Wife murders have soared since the implementation of that law but the govt refuse to do anything coz it favors women and they need womens votes.

Deranged laws.

harakiri:

Women go into marriage NOT because of love so dont be decieved. If the biological clock and beauty features extended to 80 yrs, women would do shakara till then. No gorck yourself. Sign the damn papers! ! !

It amazes me the amount of girls, when they are in their mid to late 20s and early 30s, you see that are engaged in less than 6 months of meeting a guy, some less than 2 months. Too much girls I have seen going through that scenario.

Someone please tell me they are marrying for love. undecided
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by chika98: 10:20pm On Aug 09, 2010
How many men in the Western world are rich? Prenup ko!
Funny stuff! grin grin grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2010
Way to go.

Prenup is the way
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by ireneann: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2010
What are we talking about? What happened to the good old for better for worse?

Once prenup is mentioned, both parties have no business getting married. That means there is no love involved. It's just another business transcation that might go sour sooner or later.

Any couple that brings up the issue of prenup should know that they are just living on borrowed time.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2010
When women start seeing marriage as a means of getting financial rewards/gratification when they get out.

Knowing by getting a divorce, They would share the guys money is more than enough reason for them to push for a divorce and the men too have grown wiser and in most cases have a prenup to protect their fortune
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 2:46pm On Oct 19, 2010
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 8:39pm On Oct 19, 2010
ireneann:

What are we talking about? What happened to the good old for better for worse?

Once prenup is mentioned, both parties have no business getting married. That means there is no love involved. It's just another business transcation that might go sour sooner or later.

Any couple that brings up the issue of prenup should know that they are just living on borrowed time.

Unfortunately, in the West, laws enacted has resulted in for worse only being for men. Men, especially successful men, need to protect themselves.

If you are successful, likely or have the potential to be successful in the West BETTER get a pre-nup.

Women are generally irrational in a relationship.

It is known most women will do tomorrow what the claimed they would not do yesterday. The worst thing is that they were not lying yesterday, they were saying what they actually believed. What they did today is the result they just do not how they would act tomorrow as their emotions overtake them.

When you want to divorce, 9 times out of 10 it has reached a stage where relationship has completely broken down. Emotions are high, and trust me, the normally irrational woman would be more irrational when angry/bitter and have no contrition about it. Women hardly have contrition about their bad acts in relationship, they just use the same stewpid platitude: "that is the way women are".

Women usually only give a shyt about you when they love you, when they stop, they will not give a hoot. Worse when they hate you.

Add the fuel that society has brainwashed them that being married to someone means you contributed to their earnings (since most human beings are morons the fall for any stewpid argument). So they will even feel it is not irrational and justified to milk you.

Sign the ffcking pre-nup if you are the type to need it. Don't Paul McCartney.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Mobinga: 8:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
Don't Nas. . Nas is going broke from alimony cry
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 8:51pm On Oct 19, 2010
Imagine paying the woman for the sex, Is she going to pay for her 0rgasms from the sexual sessions too?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 11:13am On Oct 20, 2010
HURRAY!!!

News: UK courts to find pre-nups legally binding from now on.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Now, I can marry.

Any volunteers? cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Hauwa1: 3:16pm On Oct 20, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

waaaah, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2010
*Hauwa*:

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

waaaah, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOoXmwiRMs[/flash]
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Mobinga: 4:17pm On Oct 20, 2010
Sagamite:

HURRAY!!!

Now, I can marry.

Any volunteers? cheesy
grin
I hope you find the right man
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
Mobinga:

grin
I hope you find the right man

No, I am not interested in what Bk.bake puts in your mouth.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Mobinga: 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2010
Sagamite:

No, I am not interested in what Bk.bake puts in your mouth.
Who's bk.babe?? That wuss over at the tribalism board? It doesn't take I, the most straight thinking person in this forum and a tribalist to know that you are _______ . . . . cool
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
Mobinga:

Who's bk.babe?? That wuss over at the tribalism board? It doesn't take I, the most straight thinking person in this forum and a tribalist to know that you are _______ . . . . cool

You just take it in the mouth from any of your filthy guys, you don't bother to get to know them? grin

Is that how you fund your habit?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Mobinga: 8:28pm On Oct 20, 2010
Sagamite:

You just take it in the mouth from any of your filthy guys

ewwwww. . . angry angry Disgusting. . I really think you should curb your voyeuristic habits. . . especially at the London gay clubs grin

you don't bother to get to know them? grin

Is that how you fund your habit?
Right back at ya wink grin cool
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 9:18pm On Oct 20, 2010
Mobinga:

awwwww. . .   cheesy cheesy delicious . .  I really think you should curb your voyeuristic habits. . . especially at the London gay clubs  grin
Right back at ya  wink  grin  cool

Stop putting deecks in all your holes that is what I am trying to tell you.

You have no holes meant naturally for that so I don't see how you get pleasure from it.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spikedcylinder: 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
Lol. Saga. You are here again? grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2010
Sagamite:

HURRAY!!!

Now, I can marry.

Any volunteers? cheesy

HURRRAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Mobinga: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2010
Sagamite:

Stop putting deecks in all your holes that is what I am trying to tell.

You have no holes meant naturally for that so I don't see how you get pleasure from it.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lol funny guy  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by chic2pimp(m): 1:35am On Oct 21, 2010
Sagamite:

HURRAY!!!

Now, I can marry.

Any volunteers? cheesy
dayokanu:

HURRRAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy
Awon Oloshi Meji grin grin grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Are You Sexualizing Your Children? / Unbelievable - My Mother Asked My Woman To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.