Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,955 members, 7,814,238 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Prenuptial Agreements - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prenuptial Agreements (20744 Views)

Poll: Your attitude to prenuptial agreements?

Positive: 50% (54 votes)
Negative: 50% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Prenuptial Agreements Vs Gold Diggers: How Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spikedcylinder: 5:14am On Oct 21, 2010
chic2pimp:

Awon Oloshi Meji grin grin grin.

Gbam! grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 6:40am On Oct 21, 2010
chic2pimp:

Emi oga Oloshi Meji grin grin grin.

GBAM!!!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Hauwa1: 4:33pm On Oct 21, 2010
and the saga continues wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhh wah wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

prenups my BBS
grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 7:47pm On Oct 21, 2010
Why dont you want to sign a prenup? Do you have gold digging intentions?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2010
dayokanu:

HURRRAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

Hey Boss,

Welcome news!

But I will approach it with extreme caution, courts in most western countries reportedly have sexist agenda when it comes to issues of this nature. For instance Sir Paul McCartney signed a pre-nup with with ex wife Heather Miller that expressly stipulated that she gets £20 million in the event of a divorce but the courts disregarded this and gave her more.

On the other hand, when men have sought to exercise their rights with regards to Pre-nup arrangements, there has been different outcomes: Below are examples in the UK for instance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197008/Landmark-court-victory-cements-pre-nups-English-law-100million-heiress-wins-court-battle-ex-husband.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172279/Heiress-fights-cut-ex-husband-100m-fortune-landmark-test-Britains-pre-nuptial-laws.html

I am not alluding that I necessarily agree that there is some sort of conspiracy against men in the pre-nup enforcement equation but the statistics of pre-nup court decisions seem to validate the fact that in pre-nup court cases , the wealthier female will in most cases win.

I am not too sure about the legalities of pre-nups in the USA i.e whether they are infinitely bounded by the law but in most European countries it is just a piece of paper until it is adjudicated upon by a court of law and evidence of most judicial outcomes support the theory that it is more like to favour females.

The summary is that until pre-nups are constitutionally binding, they are still legally subject to the interpretations ( invariably the discretions) of the presiding judge/judges.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 10:10pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^ Paul McCartney did not sign any pre-nup at all, I don't know where you got your info from.

He was an Old Mugu!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 10:18pm On Oct 21, 2010
Lekan,

How do we escape the clutches of these gold digging women whose aim is to leech on their husband when they divorce.

Are they not capable of making their own money?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
Sagamite:

^^^ Paul McCartney did not sign any pre-nup at all, I don't know where you got your info from.

He was an Old Mugu!

Sagamite, I cant really comment on how sensible he is i.e whether he ia mumu or not, lol

but this link says he did sign a pre-nup!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-122815/Heathers-20m-pre-nuptial-deal-Sir-Paul.html
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 10:47pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^ No mate, that was just junk speculative journalism by a thrash paper propagated when they married. It was pure guess/make-up journalism.

When they divorced, it was clear there was no pre-nup:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samara-oshea/kudos-to-sir-paul-mccartn_b_92414.html

Another Old Mugu:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/John-Cleese-Pays-Ex-Wife-12m-In-Divorce-Settlement-After-No-Pre-nuptial-Agreement-Was-Signed/Article/200908315363907?f=rss

[size=18pt]
Cleese Fuming After 'Unfair' £12.5m Divorce
[/size]

John Cleese is to lose £12.5m after reaching a divorce settlement with his third wife, to whom he was married for 16 years.

In the agreement psychotherapist Alyce Faye Eichelberger will get £8m in cash and assets, which includes an apartment in New York and £2m mews house in Holland Park, west London.

She will also receive £600,000 a year for seven years.

Cleese, 69, has revealed his anger at the size of the divorce settlement.

"What I find so unfair is that if we both died today, her children would get much more than mine," he said.

When they met in 1990 Eichelberger was living in a third floor council flat in London with her two sons from a previous marriage.

It will leave Cleese with an estimated £10m fortune which on paper appears as though his ex-wife will be better off.

The settlement though "does not take into account the earnings he himself will have over the next seven years", explained Julian Lipson, head of family law at Withers LLP.

He told Sky News Online that getting a pre-nuptial agreement is a "no-brainer", as they are "respected" in the US, particularly in California.[/b]

"If you are a rich person marrying someone who has less than you, as John Cleese was, having a pre-nup is a no-brainer because it will certainly make sure you pay considerably less than he is having to pay this ex-wife," he added.

Mr Lipson believes Ms Eichelberger "wouldn't have been awarded quite as high maintenance" if the finances of the divorce had been settled in the UK.

The Fawlty Towers actor is currently writing a one-man show about his ex entitled My Alyce Faye Divorce Tour.

His former wife was represented by Fiona Shackleton who acted for the Prince of Wales and Sir Paul McCartney in their divorces.

Cleese, who is also working on a film script, said: "I got off lightly. Think what I'd have had to pay if she'd contributed." grin grin grin grin

The papers to finalise the settlement were lodged in the courts in California last week.

Cleese's close friend director, Michael Winner, was astonished by the settlement.

"John has worked all his life," he said, "and will now have to continue working because he has seen a huge chunk of what he has worked for going to his former wife who he rescued from a council flat."

John Cleese has been working in the entertainment business for over 40 years.

As well as his work as one of the Pythons, Cleese wrote and starred in Fawlty Towers and has written and appeared in feature films such as a Fish Called Wanda.

Cleese's first two wives were Fawlty Towers co-star Connie Booth and actress Barbara Trentham.

He said his previous divorces were "very peaceful affairs".

There is, however, some good news for Cleese.

It has been announced that he and his fellow Pythons will receive a special award from BAFTA to honour their "outstanding contribution to film and televsion."

They will receive the award at the official 40th Anniversary Monty Python Reunion Event in New York on October 15.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 11:05pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^ I really have no pity for such old morons.

The secret has been out for long, they should have got a pre-nup.

Well done to the women for dealing with the mugus.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 11:07pm On Oct 21, 2010
dayokanu:

Lekan,

How do we escape the clutches of these gold digging women whose aim is to leech on their husband when they divorce.

Are they not capable of making their own money?

My brother,

It is a very complex world we live in at the moment.

Gone are those days where our mums stood by her dads irrespective of the situation. The world has changed in terms of marraige, feminism has altered the dynamic! while I appreciate the fact that they had to stand up and confront domestic violence and some apparent injustices that women were subjected to, but like all social empowerment causes e.g. Gay rights, Black movements etc, it has created a dangerous politically correct syndrome  that is gradually eroding the core of societal values.

Dayo, the only advice I can offer anyone is to meticulously and carefully choose a partner .It is highly important to know your wife/husband to be!

Do they think/act independently or do they rely on family to make decisions?
The truth is if I am rich or if I had visible/ identifiable prospects to be very wealthy  in this day and age I will not get married until I am satisfied that there is a genuine commitment from both parties .
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 11:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^Good points.

viewlekan:

Dayo, the only advice I can offer anyone is to meticulously and carefully choose a partner .It is highly important to know your wife/husband to be!

But on average, how long do people date before getting married? 2 years? (Even shorter in my view nowadays)

How can you really get to know someone that well in 2 years. More so when the first few months will be used trying to impress each other until you get comfortable with each other.

I don't even know my brother completely after how many years growing up in the same household, going to the same schools and communicating every other day.

More so a woman, who does not know what she wants tomorrow. Who does not communicate what she wants and expects you to just know. Who's wants change as her mode changes or she grows older and think it is your duty to know at each stage. Who's action is linked to her emotion, which would be different when annoyed (one that will particularly be uniquely and unseen-before furious in divorce). Who is of the sex that have very limited contrition when acting badly based on their emotions (you don't see how they biatch on each other over trivial, irritating things?)

How can I know a woman in circa 2 years to really carefully choose carefully?

Nigga, get a gaddam pre-nup.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 11:45pm On Oct 21, 2010
viewlekan:

My brother,

It is a very complex world we live in at the moment.

Gone are those days where our mums stood by her dads irrespective of the situation. The world has changed in terms of marraige, feminism has altered the dynamic! while I appreciate the fact that they had to stand up and confront domestic violence and some apparent injustices that women were subjected to, but like all social empowerment causes e.g. Gay rights, Black movements etc, it has created a dangerous politically correct syndrome that is gradually eroding the core of societal values.

Do they think/act independently or do they rely on family to make decisions?
The truth is if I am rich or if I had visible/ identifiable prospects to be very wealthy in this day and age I will not get married until I am satisfied that there is a genuine commitment from both parties .

Lekan,

Its almost impossible. You cant really know people human beings and their intentions. Especially women.

Most people who got skinned by their wives at some time too thought they had ideal partners until the woman pulled it on him.

Lekan I used to think I was smart and could figure out everything until I heard some stories about how women wrecked some ppl

I am not against Child support to cater for the kids you have togther as long as I am sure it goes directly to the welfare of the child. In America you would see women using the Child support checks to make their hair, paint their nails and do other useless stuffs not related to the child.

But splitting into half? Lailai. Where was the woman when her husband was slaving away and labouring to be rich Maybe sitting at home watching "Housewives of Atlanta" and now she wants half.

Lekan you remember the case of Femi and how the woman cleaned him out, If not for God the guy for don turn pauper now. Thats someone that had about 12 cars at the peak of things

NB: Do you know if you have any issue with your wife, In America the law kicks you out and award her the house regardless of her contribution to the mortgage?

If I go get house for here, It would be in my brothers name who is in Naija. Shikena

1 Like

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 11:52pm On Oct 21, 2010
Sagamite:

^^^Good points.

But on average, how long do people date before getting married? 2 years? (Even shorter in my view nowadays)

How can you really get to know someone that well in 2 years. More so when the first few months will be used trying to impress each other until you get comfortable with each other.

I don't even know my brother completely after how many years growing up in the same household, going to the same schools and communicating every other day.

More so a woman, who does not know what she wants tomorrow. Who does not communicate what she wants and expects you to just know. Who's wants change as her mode changes or she grows older. Who's action is linked to her emotion, which would be different when annoyed (one that will particularly be uniquely and unseen-before furious in divorce). Who is of the sex that have very limited contrition when acting badly based on their emotions (you don't see how they biatch on each other over trivial, irritating things?)

How can I know a woman in circa 2 years to really carefully choose carefully?

Nigga, get a gaddam pre-nup.

I can see the logic in your arguement, I have family members that I have known most of my life and some of their actions surprise me and I am absolutely positive that they feel the same about moi. When it comes to a relationship akin to marraige , it is a lot different in the sense that you are getting together with someone that you probably share your body with . It is monumentally complex when emotions are combined with sexual feelings

I totally agree with pre-nups because they mitigate mess-ups  but my problem is :

Are pre-nups legally tenable?

If they are! Are they enforceable?

If they are enforceable, are they open to interpretion from members of the deciding judiciary?

If that is the case , then pre-nups are not really valid ( a priori).
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 11:54pm On Oct 21, 2010
dayokanu:

I am not against Child support to cater for the kids you have togther as long as I am sure it goes directly to the welfare of the child. In America you would see women using the Child support checks to make their hair, paint their nails and do other useless stuffs not related to the child.

Obviously!!! grin grin grin

What did you expect? grin

dayokanu:

NB: Do you know if you have any issue with your wife, In America the law kicks you out and award her the house regardless of her contribution to the mortgage?

Sickening!!!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 12:05am On Oct 22, 2010
viewlekan:

I can see the logic in your arguement, I have family members that I have known most of my life and some of their actions surprise me and I am absolutely positive that they feel the same about moi. When it comes to a relationship akin to marraige , it is a lot different in the sense that you are getting together with someone that you probably share your body with . It is monumentally complex when emotions are combined with sexual feelings

I totally agree with pre-nups because they mitigate mess-ups  but my problem is :

Are pre-nups legally tenable?

If they are! Are they enforceable?

If they are enforceable, are they open to interpretion from members of the deciding judiciary?

If that is the case , then pre-nups are not really valid ( a priori).

It depends on the country.

It is tenable in USA and most of Europe and now UK. In Nigeria, I am not sure but I am sure it is a woman that needs it more in Nigeria.

If it is well written and follows a good process then there is really rarely any intepretation.

Well written: Fundamentally cater for the kids adequately, don't short change the kids. Also make sure lawyers have the skill to eliminate ambiguities, so you yourself need to have a logical brain to review and foresee all possibilities and likely valuations.

Good process: Fundamentally make sure she has her OWN independent lawyer, not the same as yours or chosen by you. The prenup is signed well before the wedding, not a week/night before where she will go to court as a cry baby saying she was made to sign under duress to avoid humiliation of cancelling a wedding.

It is really not a nice and romantic thing, but never leave yourself in a position to be fcked all in the name of love. A friend once told me that the only woman that you can be guaranteed will love you till she dies is your Mother. Women fall out of love and they don't give a hoot about you when they do (a completely different opposite of when they loved you). And the laws are ashamably there to f a man up, don't doubt that for a second. It is naturally really not an ideal choice to do it, but when you look at the laws some morons set up and considering the possibilities, you really have limited options if you have a brain in your head.

After years and you see you are soul mates, you can tear it up. But get it at first, don't think you know anyone in 2 years.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 12:36am On Oct 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Lekan you remember the case of Femi and how the woman cleaned him out, If not for God the guy for don turn pauper now. Thats someone that had about 12 cars at the peak of things

You know Lekan before?

Who be Femi?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 1:00am On Oct 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Lekan,

Its almost impossible. You cant really know people human beings and their intentions. Especially women.

Most people who got skinned by their wives at some time too thought they had ideal partners until the woman pulled it on him.

Lekan I used to think I was smart and could figure out everything until I heard some stories about how women wrecked some ppl

But splitting into half? Lailai. Where was the woman when her husband was slaving away and labouring to be rich Maybe sitting at home watching "Housewives of Atlanta" and now she wants half.

If I go get house for here, It would be in my brothers name who is in Naija. Shikena

Dayo O ye mi!!

I totally agree with you, but my arguement is, is this so called pre-nup legally binding

F's case is totally different, he laid his bed and now he is laying on it.

The truth is that, the legal system today  in western countries, most judicial outcomes will side with the woman , especially when kids are involved.

Do I have an answer to your question?, No

But all I know it is your prerogative to make sure you make the right choice.

I know I make it sound  very simple but honestly , marriage is not essential these days.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 1:43am On Oct 22, 2010
viewlekan:

I know I make it sound  very simple but honestly , marriage is not essential these days.

Exactly the attitudes of a lot of oyinbo guys these days.

Even some of my closests Naija friends have taken that position and are going to have only live-in arrangements. I would rather do the pre-nup.

Honestly, these morons have f up marriage with stewpid laws.

And they want to go further in the UK, as I was reading once last year, to apply similar divorce laws to split assets in long-term live-in arrangements. Where you unmarried long term partner can claim alimony if they depended on you.

I don't know which kind of slowpoke thinks people are entitled to a lifestyle funded by someone else based on the fact they are used to it.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 22, 2010
Prenup ko poke it in ni

I am signing nothing cool
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 3:36am On Oct 22, 2010
Sagamite:

You know Lekan before?

Who be Femi?

Lekan na my number 1 personal person before dem send am comot for Naija. He nearly ran all the SHAYO joint in our area out of business Because they couldnt attend to other customers he drinks all the beer by himself.

See this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=486794.msg6476657#msg6476657

Saga.

The prenup should have a 15yrs clause in it where after 15-20yrs of marriage it becomes Null and void
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 5:43pm On Oct 22, 2010
jennykadry:

Prenup ko poke it in ni

I am signing nothing cool

No wahala.

You have been wasting time since on the scheme me and you have been working on.

Hurry up and divorce your husband, take 75% of his assets, get half his future earnings as alimony and take the house as well (but make sure he is still paying the mortgage). Then I would move in and we can live happily ever after, baby. cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by chic2pimp(m): 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Lekan na my number 1 personal person before dem send am comot for Naija. He nearly ran all the SHAYO joint in our area out of business Because they couldnt attend to other customers he drinks all the beer by himself.
Hehehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sagamite:

And they want to go further in the UK, as I was reading once last year, to apply similar divorce laws to split assets in long-term live-in arrangements. Where you unmarried long term partner can claim alimony if they depended on you.

Frightening isn't it?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by viewlekan: 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2010
dayokanu:

See this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=486794.msg6476657#msg6476657

Saga.

The prenup should have a 15yrs clause in it where after 15-20yrs of marriage it becomes Null and void

Dayo u dey craze, lol

It was a joint effort between yourself, Niyi, Hakeem, Taofeek and humble me playing a minor role in the whole dynamic. I was reliably informed that Tuns Bar has erected a statue of Dayo at the joint in recognition of your legendary consumption of alcohol.

With regards to the pre-nup issue, personally I dont bother my head with it much. When I become very wealthy and my wife decides to ask for half of my wealth, I will simply relocate to Nigeria asap. It will be very interesting to see how such demands will be accommodated in Nigeria.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 9:01pm On Oct 22, 2010
Wetin happen to Femi?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2010
His wife cleaned him out got like 80% of the guys wealth while the homeboy was hustling on how to enter ABuja circle
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2010
In USA?

How many years marriage? How many kids? How many houses? How long had the guy been in the country hustling before marrying her meant (according to the courts) she must have been the one that contributed 80%?

Where were the assets? US?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On Oct 22, 2010
In Naija,

The guy fu-ck up small sha.

While he was in the money, He alienated all his family and was a "Me and my wife" person. Minimized contacts with his family and anyone who tried to correct him, He openly tonguelashed them atimes disrespected his momsie sef

They had been living together for like 12yrs 4 kids. He entrusted the wife to all his account and how the business runs.

He left the wife to monitor the Lagos end of the business around 2005-2007 and he went to hustle politics to enter Abuja, By the time he came back, The wife don clean out the whole house and moved in with her new lover with the kids.

After that he now went back to his family to beg that he was under a spell all those times.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 10:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
Wow.

And e no fit use Olopa or courts?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 10:21pm On Oct 22, 2010
The wife na "STRONG" person get backing from all angle. Jazz, white garment and even get connection with high ranking Police
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by harakiri(m): 6:26am On Oct 31, 2010
Once again, why would any sane man in the western world want to get married in this modern day/age with all the ridiculous one sided laws that are outrightly for women and women alone?

Even myself who is resident in 9ja isn't excited about getting married even 10 years from now when i hit 40.What's the point? If it's sEXxx, you can sleep with a different woman every night or women.If it's heirs you want, you can father children WITHOUT getting married, so why on earth would i want to enslave myself with marriage and NOT sign a pre-nup as a safety net for my foolishness?

1 Like

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2010
harakiri:

Once again, why would any sane man in the western world want to get married in this modern day/age with all the ridiculous one sided laws that are outrightly for women and women alone?

Even myself who is resident in 9ja isn't excited about getting married even 10 years from now when i hit 40.What's the point? If it's sEXxx, you can sleep with a different woman every night or women.If it's heirs you want, you can father children WITHOUT getting married, so why on earth would i want to enslave myself with marriage and NOT sign a pre-nup as a safety net for my foolishness?

Nicely put.

This ia the philosophy of ALL my closest friends now (albeit, my friends are not very "Naijaish", I am the only real Naija guy).

The discussion came up yesterday at a party we had and one of my buddies was challenging me to explain the point of marriage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Are You Sexualizing Your Children? / Unbelievable - My Mother Asked My Woman To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.