Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Prenuptial Agreements - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prenuptial Agreements (20773 Views)

Poll: Your attitude to prenuptial agreements?

Positive: 50% (54 votes)
Negative: 50% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Prenuptial Agreements Vs Gold Diggers: How Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Skidoc(m): 6:02pm On May 24, 2006
Prenup agreement is essentially an agreement between a couple of greedy, selfish and distrustful folks. Husband-to-be is thinking; "I'll soon kick you out. You can't have all of what you are marrying me for. I'll only cut you a share. the rest is MINE! MINE! MINE!"
Wife-to-be is thinking "I'll soon leave you. Let's sign it so I can get the sweet cut. Because if we don't sign it, chances are that I might not get anything from what I'm marrying you for".

Hehe, Wife already has her eyes set on the sweet sweet cut from Day 1 of the marriage. Lucky woman! If I were her, I would lay off work and sit down enjoying myself and counting down to the day I will get my prenup dues. cheesy
Without the prenup, she probably won't get anything apart from child support, but now with the prenup she is a rich woman.

How many wives of rich men in Nigeria have even divorced and got half of the husband's property? No way! They leave with nothing. So I don't think this whole thing applies to Nigeria jo!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by chinani(f): 8:03pm On May 24, 2006
Seun:
If my fiancee is unwilling to sign the prenup, it means she is planning to divorce me and take half of my possessions. A gold-digger will never sign a prenuptial agreement, but someone that loves me won't mind!
@Seun
I actually think the opposite. I think that a man who really loved & trusted me would not ask me about a Prewhatever. Yes I understand that people change. That's why marriage can be risky. But to me, the risk is an emotional one. When you're heart breaks I will not think of my pocket book, that's the sort of person I am, so I guess I'm speaking for myself b/c I don't know how other people will/would feel. Lastly, life insurance is purchased b/c we will all die. No one buys insurance and says "Good now I can live forever!"

I guess this issue is all about being comfortable & confident in your marriage. But a PreNup would not make me either.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by justme3(m): 8:27pm On May 24, 2006
i am a new member & i m really feelin dis site. i was with with american version of this kind of site but i tell y'all nairaland rocks

its only a fool who won't get a prenup

1 Like

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Seun(m): 9:38pm On May 24, 2006
When you're heart breaks I will not think of my pocket book
Well, I am a businessman. I think about my pocketbook all the time. I'd rather be heart-broken and rich than be heart-broken and poor. Let us learn to subject the emotion of "love" to reason. Let's use our big brains!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by sage(m): 9:54pm On May 24, 2006
In the Nigerian system, a man can wake up anyday and kick his wife out empty handed cos of one reason or the other.

In the west, she will get, ur house, u cars, half ur bank accounts, kids and the man would be kicked into the streets.

I think anybody that wants a prenupt should get one.
ONE THING IN LIFE IS CONSTANT--- CHANGE

People that say its for wealthy people, i dont know, but if u dont have any money i dont think ul be thinking prenupts, but again change.

u cannot compare marriages now with that of Grandfathers. The world is a diffrent place now
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by funloving(m): 1:01pm On May 25, 2006
Seun,you used the internet in defending yourself but there is no correlation there.
Are you implying that the interent is now being used for conducting marriages ?.Most marriage still take place outside the internet.

Fact of the matter,prenups are simply an invitation to take marriages unseriously.
I think anybody who wants a prenup should just settle for a living-in-lover.You don't need no marriage.Just bring the girl home,shag her till both of your are fed up of the shagging and you both go your separate ways.
If you want kids,adopt some.Forget about marriage because you ain't ready for it if you are looking for some prenuptial agreement before getting married.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Skidoc(m): 1:30pm On May 25, 2006
@Seun, true, people change and couples grow apart. But is divorce the next solution to this? Shouldn’t they iron out their differences and make it work? Was it not you preaching against divorce in the other thread? (not sure if it was you)
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Scorpio(f): 3:07am On May 26, 2006
Prenups are not for everyone, so if u makin $100,000 a year n u tell me u want a prenup, u gon see d back of my hand!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by chinani(f): 3:09am On May 26, 2006
Lol! I feel you Scorpio. But what would you say to a millionaire? Just asking.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Scorpio(f): 3:12am On May 26, 2006
He could think abt it undecided ps: i meant a hundred thousand dollars in my earlier post o
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by gem87(f): 11:05pm On May 28, 2006
i'm sitting on d fence regarding this issue
i mean it depends on a lot of issues!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by kellorah: 9:35pm On Jul 24, 2006
@topic, it's really important for celebs when they get married or else, kai! esp; when they marry non-celebs or not-so-famous celebs
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ryley(m): 5:18pm On Feb 01, 2007
Prenups always seem to create the impression that you guys intend to divorce in the future. With the kinds of marriages we have today, you can’t blame either party. If I get married outside Nigeria and I am wealthy, I will consider getting one…, and….um…, i’m keeping the kids if anything goes wrong. angry
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Radiant(f): 9:47pm On Feb 02, 2007
Psalm 146:3

3 Do not put your trust in princes,
Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.

Therefore, I'll go for a prenup. grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by adconline(m): 8:41am On Mar 27, 2007
I know of someone who did it. He told me that he heard it from Donald Trump. ladies what do you think?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by jagunlabi(m): 9:17am On Mar 27, 2007
Well,if you do,you will gain admission to the kingdom of heaven.
Sorry,just trying to make this thread a religious one. smiley
adconline:

I know of someone who did it. He told me that he heard it from Donald Trump. ladies what do you think?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by 4Play(m): 6:13pm On Mar 27, 2007
Interesting article on pre-nups-[url]http://money.guardian.co.uk/divorce/story/0,,1789149,00.html[/url]

A divorce lawyers advice to rich people in the UK is as follows-1. Don't marry. 2. If you do, make sure your other half is as wealthy as you are. 3. Do a pre-nuptial agreement and keep your fingers crossed."
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by gem87(f): 2:14am On Mar 28, 2007
it sure kills d romance
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by adconline(m): 6:18am On Mar 28, 2007
have you ever tried romance without money?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2007
i am all for pre-nups.men and women should be wise even while in love.
These days even men marry women for money too.
more and more men are gettin a lot of money after divorce (kevin federline who was brittany's husband, ryan phillipe who was reese witherspoon's husband, eric benet who was halle berry's husband etc etc) and not just celebrities , even ordinary folk.
i consider my hard- earned saved cash to be for my children. all my investments are to make life easier for them. i would sign a pre-nup if need be to protect that stash from any man incase we decide to call it quits.there's no way their dad will leave us and take my money along too. i'll fight to the death. angry not that i hope for my marriage to end. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 30, 2007
Story story! make una marry first! grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 11:34pm On Mar 30, 2007
@ davidylan
didnt i tell you i wasn't looking? grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Seun(m): 11:39pm On Mar 30, 2007
Story story! make una marry first!
Actually, pre-nuptial agreements come before marriage. So you can't "marry first", see? wink
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by 4Play(m): 11:41pm On Mar 30, 2007
Seun:

Actually, pre-nuptial agreements come before marriage. So you can't "marry first", see? wink

That would entail a post-nuptial .If you bring that to court,the judge might laugh in your face grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 11:42pm On Mar 30, 2007
seun thank you for telling davidylan oh!
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 12:11am On Mar 31, 2007
Seun:

That is merely playing musical chairs with English language. grin grin
You do a pre-nup with marriage as the intended end point.

All those endorsing pre-nups at the moment (the women especially) should wait until they are about to get married. Then ask your traditional parents to send a lawyer to ur fiance's house to sign a pre-nup! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 12:35am On Mar 31, 2007
All those endorsing pre-nups at the moment (the women especially) should wait until they are about to get married. Then ask your traditional parents to send a lawyer to your fiance's house to sign a pre-nup!

@ davidylan

which one concern your parents in your pre-nup?
do people still ask permission from parents to do anything? shocked
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 31, 2007
my dear in Nigerian culture, our parents still play a big role in marriage. Well unless we have become more American than the Americans themselves.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 12:47am On Mar 31, 2007
@davidylan
if you dont want a prenup good luck to you! your choice. and if you want to involve your parents in your financial matters, then better luck to you.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 31, 2007
Thanks dear, i'm going to need all the luck i can get.

In the old days, our parents did not require pre-nups, they worked their socks off to keep their marriages. This "adopted" idea of marriage that is begining to seep into our mentality is ridiculous.
Everyone is now trying so hard to adopt the western mentality which is totally alien to our culture as Nigerians and Africans. Yes pre-nups help individuals protect their interests in marriage but it is nothing but a recipe for disaster with both individuals knowing they have the option of walking out of the relationship at any point in time without any repercurssions.

As for involving parents in my marriage. You make it sound like it is childish. Dear, have you ever attended a traditional wedding where the parents where not involved? Please let me know when u fiind one.

It is good to live in America, but it is good not to forget those things that define us as Nigerians. Sometimes not everything western is good! If pre-nups were wonderful more Americans would be getting married.

My twopence. Everyone is entitled to their oppinions.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spoilt(f): 1:21am On Mar 31, 2007
As for involving parents in my marriage. You make it sound like it is childish. Dear, have you ever attended a traditional wedding where the parents where not involved? Please let me know when u fiind one.

@davidylan
no one said anything about not involving them in the traditional wedding. sure they'll help in the planning. grin
but why should they have to know how much im worth to the last penny or how much my husband is worth? or if im having an agreement with my husband as to our financial matters?
anyway im sure most traditional parents would just looooooooove their sons to sign prenups! grin grin
the name may sound offensive but then we can always find another traditional name to call it. so it doesnt seem so outrageous. and it doesnt seem like something strange adopted from the west! grin grin
they would just love it so that the little wife doesnt walk away with their son's wealth! i know manyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy naija parents that would wish we had that in our country.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 31, 2007
spoilt:

@davidylan
no one said anything about not involving them in the traditional wedding. sure they'll help in the planning. grin
but why should they have to know how much im worth to the last penny or how much my husband is worth? or if im having an agreement with my husband as to our financial matters?

That would be going over board. They dont have to know that far, mine definitely wont.
Most Nigerian parents of rich sons do not need a pre-nup, in the Nigerian society the woman only gets how much the man gives her in the event of a divorce.
You think Kola Abiola's wife would dare go to the Ikeja High court to fight for half of his property just by virtue of being his wife?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Save Me Before My Police Husband Kills Me, Wife Cries Out / Unbelievable - My Mother Asked My Woman To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.